Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Barnacle Snatcher posted:

Waiver denied, 3 days before we pull into homeport and Im supposed to walk off the ship. FML

Wouldve been nice if they told me a definitive answer before my wife put in her resignation with her job. Trying to get my emotions in order, of course I found out as I assume midwatch, so no one is awake that I can talk to about it. gently caress this.

Was any reason given for why it was denied?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnacle Snatcher
Aug 19, 2006

All things began in order so shall they end, so shall they begin again according to the Ordainer of Order and the mystical mathematicks of the City of Heaven.

The Valley Stared posted:

Was any reason given for why it was denied?

Something about Fit/Fill requirements, we are a deployable asset and need all the bodies we can get for deployment, etc. NAVADMIN 189/20 specifically states that it's not to be used as a force-shaping tool, and strictly for COVID safety measures, but that's not even remotely what's happening. Ive been in a bubble since September, and had a ROM planned before checking into school. Its absolutely not about COVID whatsoever. Our command is telling CNSP all this info, and that we are excess, and that both of our reliefs are on the pier waiting for us, but that didn't matter to whatever loving LT we spoke with, and N1. My wife got to keep her job, which is nice. 13 years in, and this is the first time where Ive felt truly wronged by Big Navy.

On the plus side, about to deploy with zero collateral duties + fully qualified, so life will be fairly easy, lol

Barnacle Snatcher fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 12, 2020

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/USNINews/status/1326933748861054976?s=20

Almost makes you think that COCOM requirements should be better managed to not burn out the carriers during "peacetime"

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
It means the Navy will continue to ignore the issues in the future

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah the thing is that when the Cold War ended, the Navy never came off their war footing, even after their budgets were slashed. So the carriers have going on 30 years of neglect, not 20. Ditto for smaller ships, but they have shorter lifespans for the most part. It's certainly shortened the useful lives of a lot of ships already though.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nick Soapdish posted:

Almost makes you think that COCOM requirements should be better managed to not burn out the carriers during "peacetime"

An unaddressed result of Goldwater-Nichols in my opinion. The mindset to separate those who operate and those who prepare favors those who do (operating concerns are more important than manning, training or equipping concerns) at all levels.

Its better to be the crew member who figured it out and got the ship underway, not the one who says, "there's not a proper logistics way to get that part". Its better to be the logistician that spends the whole purse, not 75% because it was a light year. Its better to be the CO that gets underway when asked, not the one who says, "She got put away wet, we shouldn't. " Its better to be the commodore that gets 4 ships underway than 3. Its better to be the task group thats UW for 10 months, not 6. The type commander meeting 90%of the demand of COCOMs with 80% of their ships u/w is preferred to the one meeting 75% with 30% in the yards.

If you as the combatant commander don't need three carriers right now but another one does, then that other one is doing more and is more important. After all, your FITREP is about how you deal with problems you encounter this year, not the ones you prevent next.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Here's a radical idea: the CINC just orders as many ships to port for repairs as will fit. Stand down the Navy for a while.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Maybe we should have more carriers and fewer deployments.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
This all sounds like a strategic planning process.

Maybe we should make a plan to have one of those?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

Hi there, just taking this opportunity to raise my middle finger to that vessel one more time.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Anyone have any experience with having medical/tricare drag their feet w/r/t getting medications for themselves or their Sailors before an overseas deployment? Specifically something a Sailor is taking while stateside and tricare saying "we don't know if we will approve this or if it's available overseas"; they're going next to a major AF installation. Pretty sure the member is getting hosed with through negligence or laziness or stupidity and figured I would ask you guys for guidance about what they could do.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

pmchem posted:

Here's a radical idea: the CINC just orders as many ships to port for repairs as will fit. Stand down the Navy for a while.

As someone who has worked at the yards for a few years now I can tell you that if we do this it will be a long while.

fatman
Oct 20, 2005

"I DON'T WANT A RIOTING SCUMBAG AS A NEIGHBOUR"? WELL I DON'T WANT A FUCKWIT GUN NUT AS A POSTER
:fuckoff:
Speaking of carriers, is anyone here on or know some one on the Nimitz? If so i have a favour to ask.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

As someone who has worked at the yards for a few years now I can tell you that if we do this it will be a long while.

drat your new av is something. Did you actually say "Alas we live in a time of sensitivity?" Are you loving serious lol. I mean I don't give you poo poo over your name because it's whatever, I think it's a dumb name but that's your personal choice.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 13, 2020

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

drat your new av is something. Did you actually say "Alas we live in a time of sensitivity?" Are you loving serious lol. I mean I don't give you poo poo over your name because it's whatever, I think it's a dumb name but that's your personal choice.

Yeah, it’s just a dumb dick joke that I wouldn’t expect anyone to look at twice. Thing is that I don’t even use this forum name in Discord.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

maffew buildings posted:

Anyone have any experience with having medical/tricare drag their feet w/r/t getting medications for themselves or their Sailors before an overseas deployment? Specifically something a Sailor is taking while stateside and tricare saying "we don't know if we will approve this or if it's available overseas"; they're going next to a major AF installation. Pretty sure the member is getting hosed with through negligence or laziness or stupidity and figured I would ask you guys for guidance about what they could do.

Yes 400%. Anytime OCONUS comes up, it's not "can we get this person their meds" but "can we guarantee at no point in the upcoming deployment will this logistical train ever suffer a shortage such that the member might be without a 90-day supply, even in the event of global catastrophe." So they absolutely drag as long as possible, usually hoping to let the person's med hold overrun their orders start date, then the problem magically goes away.

Call every day is my guidance. After they tell you to stop calling, call every day. Have the sailor say something like "this is literally the only thing I have to do, every day until my deployment. It's command-directed. I'mma keep calling until SOMETHING HAPPENS." It only took me a month of that to get what I needed. Medical sucks where conditions requiring chronic medication exist. If possible, on call 1, when everyone's friendly, get an email address, and follow up with "as per our phone conversation" then let that stew for a couple of days. After that, it becomes daily.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Yes 400%. Anytime OCONUS comes up, it's not "can we get this person their meds" but "can we guarantee at no point in the upcoming deployment will this logistical train ever suffer a shortage such that the member might be without a 90-day supply, even in the event of global catastrophe." So they absolutely drag as long as possible, usually hoping to let the person's med hold overrun their orders start date, then the problem magically goes away.

Call every day is my guidance. After they tell you to stop calling, call every day. Have the sailor say something like "this is literally the only thing I have to do, every day until my deployment. It's command-directed. I'mma keep calling until SOMETHING HAPPENS." It only took me a month of that to get what I needed. Medical sucks where conditions requiring chronic medication exist. If possible, on call 1, when everyone's friendly, get an email address, and follow up with "as per our phone conversation" then let that stew for a couple of days. After that, it becomes daily.

Good to see Navy medicine is terrible in both the Marine Corps and the Navy.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Hekk posted:

Good to see Navy medicine is terrible in both the Marine Corps and the Navy.

Cute.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/LucasFoxNews/status/1328620620100329472?s=20

BMD Burkes did a thing

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Block II A are the reason why Russia and China are developing hypersonic icbms. If they work as well as they say the will, they are a lot better than ground based midcourse defense.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/DavidLarter/status/1328751358950989824?s=19

That is utterly dumb to 1. Call it 1st Fleet when I always assumed that was waiting for USCG to get chopped from DHS 2. More staff positions that do nothing (as a former all career staff guy it makes no sense) 3. Where's it gonna be out of, PI? Singapore?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Out of Diego, duh

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

That is utterly dumb to 1. Call it 1st Fleet when I always assumed that was waiting for USCG to get chopped from DHS 2. More staff positions that do nothing (as a former all career staff guy it makes no sense) 3. Where's it gonna be out of, PI? Singapore?

Japan or Hawaii, probably.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Ceylon. Colombo is really nice.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Got a good eval. gently caress it I’m going for chief give me three years from October 15 2020 wooooooooopooooooooooooo

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lightpole posted:

Ceylon. Colombo is really nice.

Nobody's used that name since the 70's lol.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Got a good eval. gently caress it I’m going for chief give me three years from October 15 2020 wooooooooopooooooooooooo

First Reservist MCPON crab dad

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LingcodKilla posted:

If you got an EP you can do it in two.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

I got an EP and got out lol. In retrospect this was the right decision, looking at how the Navy's been run ragged even worse since I got out.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Nice! posted:

I got an MP. My only other competition was a overachiever.

Wooooooooo

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I got an MP. My only other competition was a overachiever.

Wooooooooo

I made Chief in 7 years and never had an EP, there is still a chance for you yet. Then again where I made my bones was prior to my reserve time during sea time for a Commodore that always volunteered us for everything ESG2 wanted.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

I made Chief in 7 years and never had an EP, there is still a chance for you yet. Then again where I made my bones was prior to my reserve time during sea time for a Commodore that always volunteered us for everything ESG2 wanted.

What kind of yelp review would you give that 7 year period?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

orange juche posted:

THIS WAS REVIEWED FROM PRE-COVID TIMES: Appetizers were delicious wish I could have had that for my whole set meal, main courses were overdone and tough as leather, dessert was pleasant but left a bitter after taste. I would only recommend this if you have no other option or love bad to mediocre food.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

orange juche posted:

I wake up screaming. 1 star.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nick Soapdish posted:

ADM Davidson takes out four competitors with the comprehensive review, then adds a fleet to INDOPACOM. I don't understand Admiral Game of Thrones.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Makes sense, if there's one thing the Navy needs more of it's staff admiral positions and another major division to develop its own bespoke administrative structure.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Yes yes. More fleets with less ships and more admirals calling on them to be deployed eternally.

A good plan.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The system is working as designed.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1328835407384104969?s=19

I didn't mean to post three things today but oh man the replies to this article are something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Makes sense, if there's one thing the Navy needs more of it's staff admiral positions and another major division to develop its own bespoke administrative structure.

Reminds me of the 1880s when Rear Admiral was the highest rank possible and there were no fleets, only station commands comprising at the very most five or six leaky wooden warships the average European ironclad could sink during a leisurely breakfast. Meanwhile our ironclad force was a half-dozen Civil War monitors rotting in the James River with a Lieutenant Commander in charge of watching their paint flake.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 18, 2020