Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Was it First Contact or Insurrection that had the commentary track with Frakes and Sirtis getting drunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Fabulousity posted:

Was it First Contact or Insurrection that had the commentary track with Frakes and Sirtis getting drunk?

insurrection, it rules

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
Zefram Cochrane: I don't care. I don't want to be a statue.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Seeing the Enterprise save the Defiant was totally loving badass and there can be no modern equivalent

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

What if the Orville saved Discovery?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
There's no saving that wreck

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Troi: And I spent the last 20 minutes trying to keep his hands off me.

Well, not every quote from that movie is great.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

Notable First Contact quotes:

Dr. Zefram Cochrane: And you people, you're all astronauts on... some kind of star trek.

Lt. Commander Worf: [before blasting some Borg] Assimilate this!

Drunk Troi: Time? We don't have the TIME, to talk about TIME.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Drunk Troi: *THUD*

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

troi has almost no recollection of insurrection because the world cup was on

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

Imagine being a Betazoid in the stadium when Brazil lost 7-1

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

numberoneposter posted:

This got a massive laugh and clap in the theater lol

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Tighclops posted:

Seeing the Enterprise save the Defiant was totally loving badass and there can be no modern equivalent

The DS9 production staff were very pissed about that scene.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Insurrection is fun if you just take it as a two-part episode that didn’t get released until 1998.

Insurrection is embarrassing

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Worf somehow stitching together a pressurized space suit with a Borg arm was pretty dumb

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Insurrection is embarrassing

Purple Space Bazooka

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Trast posted:

The DS9 production staff were very pissed about that scene.

I thought they were pissed because the plan was to destroy the defiant in the movie and then they got that changed

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

numberoneposter posted:

Notable First Contact quotes:

Dr. Zefram Cochrane: And you people, you're all astronauts on... some kind of star trek.

:yeah:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Star Trek: Picard's Extreme Off-Road Racing Challenge

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Just saw Future Imperfect and realized this was where Disco got the awful idea of putting rank on the badges. At least in this you could clearly tell the rank from a glance.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Nemesis was the one with Picard clone, right?

What was Insurrection about again?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Insurrection was the one that would've made an ok two-parter episode about the Fountain of Youth planet.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Planet of firm boobs

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I never read Michael Pillar's book about it but I got the impression insurrection would have been a better film were it not for Patrick Stewart meddling in the script

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Just saw Future Imperfect and realized this was where Disco got the awful idea of putting rank on the badges. At least in this you could clearly tell the rank from a glance.

Having the bars behind the badge makes sense, except how did they do the middle ranks?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Having the bars behind the badge makes sense, except how did they do the middle ranks?

They all had four bars on them but they were blacked out. So while the Captain had 4 gold bars, an ensign would have 1 gold bar and 3 black bars.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, but what about lieutenant jg, or lieutenant commander? With the pips they just have one extra one that is black in the middle.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tighclops posted:

I never read Michael Pillar's book about it but I got the impression insurrection would have been a better film were it not for Patrick Stewart meddling in the script

Patrick Stewart is so different than my concept of him it's weird

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

patrick stewart funkin blow

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Brawnfire posted:

Patrick Stewart is so different than my concept of him it's weird

He was so good at playing Picard the elder statesman, and he absolutely hated the character.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Yea, but what about lieutenant jg, or lieutenant commander? With the pips they just have one extra one that is black in the middle.

It doesn't seem like they differentiate between them. Data, Geordi, Crusher, Troi and Worf all have 3 gold bars, but I doubt they're all commanders. I assume lieutenant jg would only be one gold bar like ensign too.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Eighties ZomCom posted:

It doesn't seem like they differentiate between them. Data, Geordi, Crusher, Troi and Worf all have 3 gold bars, but I doubt they're all commanders. I assume lieutenant jg would only be one gold bar like ensign too.

I couldn't remember so I checked Memory Alpha. The half-pip equivalent is a silver bar (as opposed to a gold bar). So a Lt. Cmdr. would have two gold bars and a silver bar [e: and a black bar placeholder] (compared to two full pips and a "hollow" pip).

Also, "by that time", I'd be sort of surprised that none of them have risen above the rank of Commander. It's been 15 years! They all must have Riker Syndrome.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I didn't see any silver bars, except on Admiral Picard's badge but maybe that was added after the episode.

Also it's just an alien kid who came up with it, give him some slack!

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 13, 2020

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i read and understand the words "patrick stewart does not enjoy playing a cerebral picard but would prefer it if picard had been action captain" but it just sounds so impossible because he was so great at playing that loving character most of the time on tng

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Crusader posted:

i read and understand the words "patrick stewart does not enjoy playing a cerebral picard but would prefer it if picard had been action captain" but it just sounds so impossible because he was so great at playing that loving character most of the time on tng

Anecdotally, Stewart was very serious and stately as an actor when TNG premiered. Ironically, it’s probably the other TNG cast and living in LA that made him transform into the eternal hooligan we know and love now.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Crusader posted:

Yeah he loving loves Picard as he appears in the show Picard.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The only really execrable TNG movie is Nemesis, the others are fine and First Contact is even really good. Voyager takes the dumbest possible interpretation of the things it does with the Borg and runs with it like scissors, but First Contact alone gives it enough ambiguity that it doesn't remotely have to be... that.

E: Let's put it like this. The point of Generations is to be a Star Trek TNG movie with Kirk in it. The point of First Contact is to put the Borg on the big screen and tell a compelling character-driven yet action-heavy story about Picard finally dealing with and overcoming his trauma from his experiences with them, truly defeating them both emotionally and physically for the first time in his life, while also being a time travel story. The point of Insurrection is to be another TNG movie. The point of Nemesis is to be a movie with the TNG cast in it.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 13, 2020

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

The only really execrable TNG movie is Nemesis, the others are fine and First Contact is even really good. Voyager takes the dumbest possible interpretation of the things it does with the Borg and runs with it like scissors, but First Contact alone gives it enough ambiguity that it doesn't remotely have to be... that.

The best part is when the escape pods leave and dat music cue starts up

This loving ruled. Everything about that scene ruled. I'm shocked at how much I still think this rules after so long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I think it's safe to say that First Contact ruled.