Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Is there a solo queue option somewhere for Diretide? The mode is fun but getting stomped by 5 stacks minmaxing top tier Diretide comps while being on a team of randoms with new players (like me) sucks rear end after a few times

Haha no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

first, turn off the profanity filter in the settings, then start a normal game
as soon as you get into the pick screen, find the little map and immediately click on the centre lane.
then, scroll through the list of heroes and pick any one that you happen to like the look of. at this point your ears should be filling with the sound of your teammates telling you to do things. things that you don't understand, most likely in a variety of different languages. as it dawns on them that you don't know what it is they're talking about, they will begin to shout, and scream, and hurl expletives and probably slurs at you. lean back in your chair and close your eyes. close your mind to all other sensory input. let the fury of your teammates wash over you. this is dota.

if you find yourself enjoying this music, or even desiring to join this vile chorus, then stay. otherwise, leave, and do not look back, because this is all that there is

It's important to note that if you're starting out, the people you're matched with are so bad that they're matched with complete newbies like yourself. Honestly I would probably mute chat for the first 50 games or so, unless you really enjoy getting bad advice for some reason

Horizon Burning posted:

i love that this diretide shows what valve can do when they pull their finger out and actually give dota 2 some love

shame about all the other years though. guess they're really starting to worry about player counts.

I've heard it theorized that this and Aghanim's Labyrinth are Valve's last attempt to stir up some growth for the playerbase like TF2 with Jungle Inferno, which would mean that the game is going to get the TF2 treatment soon when it doesn't work. I feel like the reason the game has lost its players is mostly because of change fatigue. I came back to play a couple of games last weekend and once again, half the poo poo I liked from previous patches has just been straight-up removed, and all the numbers have been shuffled around so I can't really make intelligent decisions. I'd have to put in another month before I could get into the groove of playing again. It would've helped if they had focused on releasing new heroes instead and left the old stuff untouched, though that's not a perfect solution either. These kinds of games just have a set lifetime and there's not much you can do about that.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 2, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Minorkos posted:

I feel like the reason the game has lost its players is mostly because of change fatigue. I came back to play a couple of games last weekend and once again, half the poo poo I liked from previous patches has just been straight-up removed, and all the numbers have been shuffled around so I can't really make intelligent decisions.

Big map changes and the whole, "We added shrines" --> "we removed shrines" is a little :psyduck: but generally speaking big patch shakeups aren't too detrimental to me. I've got a large enough roster that I can find a hero I like playing who is largely the same as they've always been.

The main reasons I stopped playing:

1) ABYSMAL match making when I play with my friends. Our individual MMR is vastly different; I have thousands of hours played, they might have hundreds. So when we triple queue our 2 pubbies are literally, "Hey so this is like my first game" and then the enemy team is often just a 5 stack of all medium skilled players, or a triple and a double. Either way, they're all usually around the average of my team's MMR, but usually we can't carry our literal first timers. OCCASIONALLY we'll get paired up against first-timers and oh boy now we just get to absolute poo poo stomp them.. which I guess is fun once in a while, but I'd rather just have a good, close game of DOTA? Not "Hey, CM is pushing a tower by herself, lets go kill her for the 24th time"

2) I solo queue and get much better match making results, but oh my loving god nobody in my MMR bracket knows how to press their advantage. Team wipe? Why go high ground and take 'rax when we could back off, farm their jungle and take Rosh and delay the game another 15 minutes. I don't mind losing if it's a close game, but it's almost never a close game. One side gets ahead by 20 minutes and then takes another 20-40 minutes to actual lock it in because there's no communication. Those games where it's just a clusterfuck and all that happens is you leave your base and die, or they fountain camp you, they're loving miserable. Or you're winning but again your carry thinks they need to farm for another half hour even though you're up 6 buildings to their 0 and 15 more kills. Just ugh.

I'm not gonna pretend I'm a pro player, but for the most part I think my ability to read the state of a game is much better than my actual mechanical ability as a player and it's so frustrating knowing what we need to do but not being able to execute it, or knowing the game is long over and just sit in fountain and wait for it to end because Valve refuses to implement a Surrender button.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 2, 2020

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Is there a solo queue option somewhere for Diretide?

If it makes you feel any better, other than a first win of the day, the difference between a win and a loss seems to be +2 diretide points during the (absurdly way too long) scoring screen.

But I've never really cared for the seasonal modes either.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't care that much, just was asking since I've had a total of one game out of five go above three rounds which makes it a bit boring. I guess that's what happens if I don't get play an event in the first few days.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Minorkos posted:

I feel like the reason the game has lost its players is mostly because of change fatigue.

This is absolutely not the case because any time there's a big change patch the player count spikes up until people get bored of it.

The real problem is valve doesn't fuckin care.

They leave tier 2 teams and lower to rot so only ~32 people can actually earn a living from playing dota, which kills off a huge amount of interest from aspiring pros, semi-pro streamers, and people who would watch them play. Tournaments throughout the rest of the year tend to not matter much so nobody watches half of them.

They straight up let fraud run rampant for years with highly publicized tournaments not paying a cent to winners. Why the gently caress would anyone want to invest money in that kind of game? Why would anyone want to play it? If a game is going to be big these days it needs to be either replayable single player or an esport; Stuff like Among Us is an incredibly rare exception.

They refuse to bother trying to make any kind of new player experience. Why would you ever tell anyone to play DotA? BSJ and Purge have good learning videos but most people don't want to have to do hours of homework to play a game that could tell you the absolute basic vital poo poo like "What does pulling creeps mean" in a 20 minute tutorial or something.

They abandon systems people like because they're too goddamn lazy to do anything about them. Gems, DotA+, guilds, comics, and so on.

Valve's just so utterly contemptuous of putting any kind of sustained effort into the game that it actually makes me angry. It's bullshit.

e: Valve literally actively undermines making DotA more popular with how much money their events give, it means dota pros generally loving hate the idea of doing stuff like streams or interviews or documentaries that cuts into precious practice time.

DotA is more like a fighting game than fortnite or league or whatever, esport wise.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 2, 2020

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i'm in the camp that believe the reason valve constantly abandons new systems or features they introduce is because they only get bonuses for coming up with new poo poo, not maintaining or updating existing features.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
them bringing skeleton king back (as a paid arcana) was a bit of a slap to the face, too

honestly, I think valve stopped caring about dota whenever it was they realized it wouldn't unseat league as #1 moba or whatever.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
valve stopped caring about dota when it was clear they would make millions even if they did nothing

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Up Circle posted:

i'm in the camp that believe the reason valve constantly abandons new systems or features they introduce is because they only get bonuses for coming up with new poo poo, not maintaining or updating existing features.

In general, it's easier to measure revenue from new feature/product launches than it is to determine revenue from lack of attrition due to having good, well maintained features and systems. Product people don't like to make good things, they like to make things that look good because they produce upticks in revenue, subscriptions. If you look at any subscription based service, you'll see dozens of half baked features and systems left to either on the vine.

Hth

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

This is absolutely not the case because any time there's a big change patch the player count spikes up until people get bored of it.

I mean, it spikes up momentarily, but that doesn't mean that the playerbase couldn't have generally deflated because of constant reworking and number shuffling. The player count never goes up to the 1 mil concurrent player peak that the game used to have, it goes from 320k to 380k or something. There are no new players coming in and the older players are leaving for various reasons. The game has had ridiculously cutthroat deathball push metas, snail-paced carry farming turtle metas, comeback gold semi-carry metas, safelane brawling metas, offlane suicide pulling metas. Mid has been a ganker role, a farming role and sometimes it's just a secondary offlane that gets ganked into oblivion. Dota has never really decided what it wants to be, and so it has never really settled into having a specific kind of fanbase. As a result, the mid ganker guy quits Dota during a farming meta, offlane brawler quits during the suicide pulling meta, and supports quit whenever their role gets reworked into either more or less of a ward bitch thing. These people are unlikely to come back, and if they do, they are met with a completely different game than when they left. Say what you will about League's fairly rigid meta, they have been able cultivate a very specific audience for it.

Though in my opinion, even if Valve had done its patches perfectly and added way more actual content instead of fumbling around with existing content, I doubt Dota would be much more popular than it is. The game just isn't fresh anymore. No one gives a gently caress about trying Dota 2 in 2020 because it's an older game with a weird grognardy playerbase. Contrary to popular belief, I don't think the new player experience in Dota 2 can be that bad because it managed to get popular once already. Though admittedly, the new player experience has gotten somewhat worse over the years because of smurfs, boosters, matchmaking issues and the fact that no one really talks about the game anymore, so there's not much discussion to learn from. Valve's best option might be to make Dota 3 with an all-new hero cast and map to pull in new players, but they can't do that because people have thousands of dollars of cosmetics stuck in Dota 2. Also making a new game would require effort on their part. It's likely Dota 2 will slowly fade away into more of a whale-monetized game for weirdos. Expect more arcanas with even more ridiculous price tags as they slowly milk away what's left of the playerbase.

Acerbatus posted:

The real problem is valve doesn't fuckin care.

They leave tier 2 teams and lower to rot so only ~32 people can actually earn a living from playing dota, which kills off a huge amount of interest from aspiring pros, semi-pro streamers, and people who would watch them play. Tournaments throughout the rest of the year tend to not matter much so nobody watches half of them.

They straight up let fraud run rampant for years with highly publicized tournaments not paying a cent to winners. Why the gently caress would anyone want to invest money in that kind of game? Why would anyone want to play it? If a game is going to be big these days it needs to be either replayable single player or an esport; Stuff like Among Us is an incredibly rare exception.

I think the esports stuff is way less important than people make it out to be. Typically, a game has to be big before it becomes a genuine esport, though some devs like to skip that part and make stuff like Valorant, which is notably not very popular at all. It seems like casual non-esportsy games are just as likely to get big, like Fortnite and Fall Guys. I think the current theme in what games get big has more to do with streaming/youtuber culture, and finding new ways to tickle certain parts of the human psyche (like Battle Royales where you get to beat 99 other people sometimes, largely due to luck, but it feels like it was all you)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^Agreed. Devs making a game "to be an esport" almost always fail. Make a game that people want to play, let the scene develop organically.

Given they have infinite money, I do think Valve should do more to sustain professional players, but I don't think the fact that Riot is more involved in their pro scene is why League is still as strong as it ever was.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I definitely quit when denial xp killed the offlane and icefrog seemed to want to force 2-1-2.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
The matchmaking has basically killed the game for my group - if you have a party with a difference in MMR (like 1.5-2k below the lowest and highest players in the party) you get consistently awful matches. It’s not even the typical “oh cool our lowest ranked player instalocked a bad mid matchup vs their highest ranked” its the absolute onslaught of lovely smurfs and legitimately brand new players.

Maybe it’s the bottom of the player community falling out and were all just archon trash getting what we deserve, but it’s noticeably worse than it was a few years ago and it’s just not fun to play unless you’re solo or in a full stack.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I definitely quit when denial xp killed the offlane and icefrog seemed to want to force 2-1-2.

That's more or less when I stopped playing the game seriously as well. I had no faith in Valve after the slew of contrived changes they did to try to force that meta. They saw offlaners being forced to sneak into the enemy jungle at the start of the game and do a benny hill run out with a creepwave and two enemy supports in tow, and their solution was to simply make it impossible to pull the first wave. No greater balance changes, no rework of the hosed up meta they had created, just a "no don't do that" and that was that.

It was actually a pretty crazy patch because every game my supports would congratulate each other for fully zoning out the enemy offlane, and then they would turn over to me and flame me for getting fully zoned out by the enemy supports. Somehow, even though offlane had become essentially a position 7 support role, players still expected their team's offlaner to be right behind the mid in terms of XP, itemization and most importantly KD. A lot of my teammates would point out "hey, you have 7 deaths to your 1 kill, that's a report bro" and it didn't matter that the enemy offlaner actually had 9 deaths to his 0 kills. Even when I was winning most of my games, my summary card had like 15 reports to my 20 commends.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 12, 2020

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think a lot of problems with matchmaking and new players and so on just goes back to how it is a team based game going on a decade and it is super hard to get new players interested in trying it at this stage of the lifecycle. With so few new players they are going to have to either queue into a portion of the general pool and get screamed at until they give up or sit in a new player only queue for an hour until they give up. I don't know how this changes until Dota 3.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Minorkos posted:

That's more or less when I stopped playing the game seriously as well. I had no faith in Valve after the slew of contrived changes they did to try to force that meta. They saw offlaners being forced to sneak into the enemy jungle at the start of the game and do a benny hill run out with a creepwave and two enemy supports in tow, and their solution was to simply make it impossible to pull the first wave. No greater balance changes, no rework of the hosed up meta they had created, just a "no don't do that" and that was that.

It was actually a pretty crazy patch because every game my supports would congratulate each other for fully zoning out the enemy offlane, and then they would turn over to me and flame me for getting fully zoned out by the enemy supports. Somehow, even though offlane had become essentially a position 7 support role, players still expected their team's offlaner to be right behind the mid in terms of XP, itemization and most importantly KD. A lot of my teammates would point out "hey, you have 7 deaths to your 1 kill, that's a report bro" and it didn't matter that the enemy offlaner actually had 9 deaths to his 0 kills. Even when I was winning most of my games, my summary card had like 15 reports to my 20 commends.

The funniest part is I had taken a lengthy break and hadn't seen the denial changes and did solo offlane as I always did with my goon pals and was incredibly confused when I ended up 3 levels behind the safe lane I was against.

If I hadn't quit when I did I definitely would've after the first creep wave change since Axe is my boy.

All of it just struck me as Riot level poo poo where nothing fun is allowed and they have to ham fistedly nerf something.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

The funniest part is I had taken a lengthy break and hadn't seen the denial changes and did solo offlane as I always did with my goon pals and was incredibly confused when I ended up 3 levels behind the safe lane I was against.

I had a similar experience since some of my friends tried to get back into Dota 2 when that patch came out. Since I too play solo offlane, I was quite useless in every match we played. This was a bit of a problem as I had twice the MMR of my friends, yet no impact whatsoever. My friends were getting destroyed by people with more MMR than them while I was getting rolled by two supports with much less MMR than me, who lazily parked themselves between me and the creepwave, denying me my ability to play the game. This made me very upset, because the game used to heavily punish supports for doing this, yet those mechanics seemed to have no effect, as they had been deleted. The ensuing confusion and rage I seethed into voice comms, coupled with the fact that we lost every game, likely contributed to all my friends promptly quitting the game again.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Dota hasn't been fun to play since they removed roaming and they just made the game to ricey. Bloodseeker and CK should not be viable let alone good offlaners

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kindof funny how they slowly bumped the XP for denied creeps back up and now it's back to what it was before 7.06

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Kindof funny how they slowly bumped the XP for denied creeps back up and now it's back to what it was before 7.06

Yep, and in fact most of the changes I bitch about, like comeback gold, shrines and such end up getting changed back... only it's 3 years later. Valve seems to love not going back on their radical, untested changes until it's too late

minema
May 31, 2011
I got into dota via hots when blizzard were being particularly lovely and one of our 5 stack was an old dota player. We played for about a year or so and it was fun for a lot of that time and I enjoyed playing support much more than in hots where you're definitely a healbot and not much else. We had a gently caress load of bad matches against smurfs who just carried their team to victory and had pinned our hopes on ranked being better but it wasn't and since then we played less and less and now its just too much effort to get back into it.

I definitely would never have got into it without a 5 stack including someone who played a lot a few years ago. It's a shame because there's not many 5 player games our group all enjoy, most tend to be 4 player which is a shame.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

A friend convinced me to reinstall this game and now apparently my "Quickbuy a TP scroll" hotkey got unbound? And I can't reliably seem to Alt-Click to ping? Where are the key bindings for these, I couldn't seem to find it last night.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Sab669 posted:

A friend convinced me to reinstall this game and now apparently my "Quickbuy a TP scroll" hotkey got unbound? And I can't reliably seem to Alt-Click to ping? Where are the key bindings for these, I couldn't seem to find it last night.

The TP is on the "sticky purchase" button. Not sure what's up with your pinging. There is an advanced ping wheel now if you long click.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I got to whopping Crusader 1 yesterday after a long, grueling grind! Finally I found Razor and got 6-1 with him. 5 wins straight gave me the rank-up.

I guess people haven't seen much Razor lately? He's apparently one of the least played heroes at the moment. I have no idea why, but he's great on noob games to cause mayhem. People just run away when I leash them. People run away when I try to zap them with the circle. People run away when I go whack them! If someone comes close to me they'll get zapped by some physical lightning bolts from the sky!

I haven't had as much fun with any other hero for a long time. Offlane Razor is great and I am continuing to play it until I lose more than I win games.

Are there any other heroes as good at causing mayhem than Razor is? I just zoom around and zap heroes and they all disperse like a flock of pigeons. My only sad day was vs a sniper when he had 3 fat rear end bodyguards, but luckily no one plays sniper either so it's very rare I see one.

E: seems the games have been mostly good on role queue ranked. Not many smurfs or great retards, actually pretty good games overall:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 11, 2021

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

I dreamed about this hellish game last night and decided to reinstall it and see what it's like these days. I haven't played since 2017, so I'm pretty sure I shouldn't just hop into a normal game, but I'm having an awful time figuring out which arcane combo of matchmaker settings will actually net me a game. It's been ~45 minutes and I haven't found a single one

My first instinct was to do a Bots game, but there are like 4 different AI options and like 5 difficulty levels and I have no idea which ones people actually use. I tried a few combinations, but nothing ever gave me a match.

Then I figured I could just do an All Random or Random Deathmatch game, but even with both of those selected I'm currently sitting at ~20 minutes in line with no game found.

I'm on the verge of just hopping into a normal Unranked game and just accepting that my team's going to get Real Mad at me when I don't remember how to buy items or control the courier. Is there some game mode that someone with a MMR way above their actual skill level can hop into to remember how this dreadful experience works? One that people actually play?

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

You can play unranked if you want to get a feel for the new game. Alternatively you can try out 'turbo' mode which is a faster version of dota with 2x the gold and exp gain.

If you're worried about getting flamed, just pre-emptively mute everyone in the game. With the new 'overwatch' feature, even if you get reported its unlikely to get you into any trouble.

Good luck out there.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Update: I did one Solo AI game and then decided to try out Turbo.

The game said "nominate a hero to ban" and all my heroes were lit up so I thought it was my turn, so I picked Batrider (because I have no idea who's good in the current meta) and then it turned out that was me picking what character to play and oh no. Thankfully, one of my old teammates semi-mained Batrider, so I remembered the basic combo (blink in, lasso, force stick away). I bought some eyeball sticks and quickly realized I had no memory whatsoever of where to place them.

The little skull man did get mad at me for not destroying more trees or shutting down the farming water man in our lane well enough, and we did for sure lose, but it wasn't nearly the shut-out I was expecting it would be. I even successfully ganked a few times, although I 100% was not competent enough to press all my buttons before dying horribly in the late-game teamfights.

All in all, it was a lot like I remembered Dota. I think I probably don't need to play for another 4 years.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Only play dota with friends when you are extremely stoned and its the weekend.

minema
May 31, 2011
We stopped playing dota once lockdown ended and we all had to work again, it's too time consuming and stressful to play in my free time now.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I play exclusively unranked these days, a few times a week. Ain't nobody got time for Dota.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I went from 1+ turbos a day to a few a week to uninstalling. Stopped playing and uninstalled close to four months ago now.

The urge never leaves though...

Stonelegs
Apr 15, 2003

I'll have a coke...
Working on the all hero challenge because I have no better games to play. Thanks for the addiction, dotes.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

The netflix show is up if anyone's watching, dragon knight hasn't hung dong yet. but kinda almost

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I double click the "Find Match" button because it always defaults to your last search settings.

Well, after the New Player Update it changed my settings to queue for a New Player Game. Boy was I confused when I didn't get the big green ACCEPT button and was immediately thrown into a lobby :thunk:

unrelated, does this site have an emoticon equivalent of 🤨 yet? It's a pain in the rear end to google "eye raised emoji" and copy paste it, and the thunk one doesn't quite convey the same energy. is it :chloe:??

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Sab669 posted:

unrelated, does this site have an emoticon equivalent of 🤨 yet? It's a pain in the rear end to google "eye raised emoji" and copy paste it, and the thunk one doesn't quite convey the same energy. is it :chloe:??

: raise : :raise:

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Sayeth Valve: patch on April 9th w/new hero

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

For me was when it was hard to see what hero people were playing because of the cosmetics and in addition to chat spam they could spam sounds.
If I wanted that experience I much rather play UT with the Zound mutator.

Sometimes I miss it, but when I reinstalled it the whole interface and battlepass vomit it threw at me turned me off before I even got into a game. So that was an easy uninstall.

I just watched the first episode of the series and realized I actually know nothing about dota lore despite having played for so much. The first episode was okay I guess, I'll probably watch a bit more.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Notably with the new player update smurfing is now a bannable offence and it can be reported after games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Sab669 posted:

If you want to type emojis on windows, winkey + fullstop will open the emoji menu. You can then type to search inside that, or select from it.
Other OSs also have emoji keyboard shortcuts but I don’t remember them.