Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They sell "Finnish Salami" in Russia. (It's not Finnish.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
22-ish years ago I was riding in a car with some other teens and a parent was driving. This song I'd never heard before came on, and I expressed my opinion that it was a stupid song.

After we got out, the parent took me off to the side and said that it isn't nice to call things people like 'stupid', and I was chastened. Every time I hear the song I remember the embarrassed feeling I felt at the time and I cringe.

The song was "Werewolves of London".

Today I realized that it is absolutely a stupid song and that it's meant to be.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qae25976UgA

I see.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
That song owns, gently caress you.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

packetmantis posted:

That song owns, gently caress you.

I was 14. I really like the song now which is why I hate the memories attached to it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Beachcomber posted:

22-ish years ago I was riding in a car with some other teens and a parent was driving. This song I'd never heard before came on, and I expressed my opinion that it was a stupid song.

After we got out, the parent took me off to the side and said that it isn't nice to call things people like 'stupid', and I was chastened. Every time I hear the song I remember the embarrassed feeling I felt at the time and I cringe.

The song was "Werewolves of London".

Today I realized that it is absolutely a stupid song and that it's meant to be.

Yeah, it was written in about 15 minutes by LeRoy Marinell, Waddy Wachtel, and Warren Zevon after Phil Everly had watched the old 30s movie Werewolf of London and made a joke to Zevon about making a song with the title and then Jackson Browne started playing it in concerts, and then T Bone Burnett started playing it as part of Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue. Then when Zevon was releasing his album Excitable Boy the record company picked that as the single instead of either of the ones Zevon wanted and there you go.

quote:

Zevon later said of the song, "I don't know why that became such a hit. We didn't think it was suitable to be played on the radio. It didn't become an albatross. It's better that I bring something to mind than nothing. There are times when I prefer that it was "Bridge Over Troubled Water", but I don't think bad about the song. I still think it's funny."[11] He also described "Werewolves of London" as a novelty song, "[but] not a novelty the way, say, Steve Martin's "King Tut" is a novelty."[2]

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Werewolves of London rules just as much as La Union’s Lobo hombre en Paris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnOpwOMHgk

But both pale in comparisons to Svengoolie’s version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVAWeIyYf5A

ruddiger has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Nov 6, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

None hold a candle to werewolf bar mitzvah

https://youtu.be/A6V2oCX3Hn4

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TK-42-1 posted:

None hold a candle to werewolf bar mitzvah

https://youtu.be/A6V2oCX3Hn4

Co-written/performed by Childish Gambino!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I feel like "stupid" is much more of a value judgement than "silly".

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

Thank you for that, that's all very interesting.

I had thought it might be coincidence, since (Wikipedia says) phylacteries were just charms in general, in usage in different cultures. And it just so happens that that specific word was used to describe tefillin in the New Testament, and just so happens to be the word picked for the English translation of tefillin itself (cf. "synagogue").

But modelling these D&D charms on the Jewish tefillin specifically is... not great. Even at its kindest interpretation, that would at the very least be cultural appropriation (to tie two thread topics together).

Yeah, tefillin aren't really phylacteries, it's just an English word that describes their appearance I guess. They aren't charms or something; we don't wear them for protection or capture spirits in them. They are just our prayer boxes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I prefer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07C96xMYFFw

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

WrenP-Complete posted:

Yeah, tefillin aren't really phylacteries, it's just an English word that describes their appearance I guess. They aren't charms or something; we don't wear them for protection or capture spirits in them. They are just our prayer boxes.

You're like a jillion pages behind, friend.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hyperlynx posted:

You're like a jillion pages behind, friend.

Well yeah, they're necro-posting

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

just looking for someone tefillin this person on the last few days of content

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Why? it won’t stick.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
About eighteen months ago, a guy I used to be friends years ago with who drifted into pseudoscience hit me up on Steam with some questions. He was asking why the sun doesn't affect tides as much as the moon. I talked to him about the relative difference between the effect of the moon's gravity on one side of the planet compared to the other, and how the sun affects tides with king tides and neap tides, and he asked about why our bodies don't get tides because we're mostly water as well, and again, the relative difference in gravity between two points less than 2m apart is negligible etc etc.

It occurred to me today that I may have dug him out of a Flat Earth-shaped hole before he fell all the way into it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Memento posted:

About eighteen months ago, a guy I used to be friends years ago with who drifted into pseudoscience hit me up on Steam with some questions. He was asking why the sun doesn't affect tides as much as the moon. I talked to him about the relative difference between the effect of the moon's gravity on one side of the planet compared to the other, and how the sun affects tides with king tides and neap tides, and he asked about why our bodies don't get tides because we're mostly water as well, and again, the relative difference in gravity between two points less than 2m apart is negligible etc etc.

It occurred to me today that I may have dug him out of a Flat Earth-shaped hole before he fell all the way into it.

You're doing Sol's work :respek:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Memento posted:

Not to minimise your good work, but I would say that your friend dug himself out of the hole, you were just kind enough to provide the shovel

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not to minimise your good work, but I would say that your friend dug himself out of the hole, you were just kind enough to provide the shovel

This is the best way to do it. Teach a man to fish etc.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
https://twitter.com/CaseyExplosion/status/1325551971110166534

God loving dammit.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

It's always great when the penny drops.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I love that she's just a head. I wish Orpheus was too, but I guess you can only do that joke once.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Memento posted:

He got lucky there. I would have been all uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Memento posted:

Do you still talk to him? If you don't then most likely he didn't listen to any of it and was in Pennsylvania, Georgia or Arizona praying over ballots.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Facebook memories decided to remind me it's the anniversary of me finding out that the gate guard in The Wizard of Oz is just the wizard wearing a fake mustache.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I get the joke, but you could dig sideways-up to get out. That's more an IMM, though.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

i had no idea the song from the title theme of Ocarina of Time has the whistle sound from Super Mario Bros 3 :aaaaa:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

It's because the whistle sound from Super Mario Bros 3 is from Zelda.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Dip Viscous posted:

It's because the whistle sound from Super Mario Bros 3 is from Zelda.

Lemme tell you somesing

I can't believe I just figured that out :imunfunny:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

OK, you know how one of the big attacks on 'SJW, PC Police, Woke etc.' types is that they are humourless? I think I figured out why, Why people use that to attack them, and why to their minds it is a valid attack.

Humour, at it's core is about not taking things seriously. And being an 'SJW', to use their term, is at it's core about caring about things. "Don't say n*gger, that word dehumanizes people and hurts their feelings. This is important.", "Indigenous people were here first, we should give them the acknowledgement, respect and support they deserve and weren't given in the past. This is important.", "Trans people are people, and deserve the rights and respect that is currently afforded to cis people. This is important." etc.

The reason the conservative arseholes call the SJWs humourless is because they DON'T think that this stuff is important. They DON'T care. And as such see the humour coming from not these serious things lightly. And mocking those that do think these things are important.

I suppose the same thin, but opposite politically, is us on the left making fun of how outraged the right got when Colin Kapaernick kneeled. i.e. We don't care or think it is important that football man kneeled, but they do care deeply and to our minds disproportionately. Thus its funny.

Anyway, yeah. I had always thought they were just being dicks. But now I think they have, (in their own minds), a somewhat cogent argument.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BrigadierSensible posted:

OK, you know how one of the big attacks on 'SJW, PC Police, Woke etc.' types is that they are humourless? I think I figured out why, Why people use that to attack them, and why to their minds it is a valid attack.

Humour, at it's core is about not taking things seriously. And being an 'SJW', to use their term, is at it's core about caring about things. "Don't say n*gger, that word dehumanizes people and hurts their feelings. This is important.", "Indigenous people were here first, we should give them the acknowledgement, respect and support they deserve and weren't given in the past. This is important.", "Trans people are people, and deserve the rights and respect that is currently afforded to cis people. This is important." etc.

The reason the conservative arseholes call the SJWs humourless is because they DON'T think that this stuff is important. They DON'T care. And as such see the humour coming from not these serious things lightly. And mocking those that do think these things are important.

Yep. But they also know on some level that they're being assholes, a great way to call them out is to go "I don't get the joke, can you explain it to me?" and then watch them flail as they try to explain their lovely opinion out loud.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yep. But they also know on some level that they're being assholes, a great way to call them out is to go "I don't get the joke, can you explain it to me?" and then watch them flail as they try to explain their lovely opinion out loud.

this tactic really hasn’t failed me. best way to put it over is to ask with all the naivete of a newborn babe

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Something I just noticed: the music video for Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun went through the "Star Wars Special Edition" process at some point and they redid a bunch of the effects and also added some new effects and even an entire new person:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbBbFH9fAg

Original here: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1gyn

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

I love stupid puns like this. It reminds me of the fight club side quest in Witcher 3. You go around beating up a bunch of people for money, and one of them is an elven tailor named Durden.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Leftist humor punches up, conservative humor punches down.

Only one of those is funny to most people.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Beachcomber posted:

Leftist humor punches up, conservative humor punches down.

Only one of those is funny to most people.

Centrist humour punches themselves

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Inceltown posted:

Centrist humour punches themselves

"Centrists" are conservatives in denial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Something I just noticed: the music video for Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun went through the "Star Wars Special Edition" process at some point and they redid a bunch of the effects and also added some new effects and even an entire new person:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbBbFH9fAg

I never made the connection that Twin Peaks BOB is just there hanging out with some chick

(Not actual Frank Silva, but a dude with the same vibe)