Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Double post with an update. CISA Assistant Director for Cybersecurity Ware resigns effective tommorow at request of the White House. White House allegedly pressuring CISA to edit their online portal debunking election misinformation and angered at CISA pushback.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Bing_Chris/status/1326971652471656448

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

Double post with an update. CISA Assistant Director for Cybersecurity Ware resigns effective tommorow at request of the White House. White House allegedly pressuring CISA to edit their online portal debunking election misinformation and angered at CISA pushback.

Yeah this legitimately sucks. They'll still be around selling their services to the government I'm sure, but they're not going to be cheap at all.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

With everything else going on it’s easy to forget that some states had to use National Guard troops to guard PPE shipments from being hijacked by feds

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Internet Wizard posted:

With everything else going on it’s easy to forget that some states had to use National Guard troops to guard PPE shipments from being hijacked by feds

Yep, MD had shipments of masks and other PPE under guard by their National Guard and Maryland State Patrol in case the feds showed up. Wonder what a standoff would have looked like there.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

orange juche posted:

Yep, MD had shipments of masks and other PPE under guard by their National Guard and Maryland State Patrol in case the feds showed up. Wonder what a standoff would have looked like there.

My guess would be a lot of rounds being fired and no one hurt

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

My guess would be a lot of rounds being fired and no one hurt

Ah yeah the imperial stormtrooper school of sharpshooting

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I have faith that a Guardsman would hit at least 23/40 rounds.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

bulletsponge13 posted:

I have faith that a Guardsman would hit at least 23/40 rounds.

I don't, but I was stuck helping people in my last active duty platoon pass their M16 quals.

And then they gave me a SAW.

Beats sitting at the range until midnight.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Actually Stormtroopers weren't too bad at shooting, if you infer that during Episode IV the Stormtroopers were under instruction to miss, in order to make escape, and pursuit of escapees to the Rebel stronghold easier. Stormtroopers were fairly accurate in EP3, and between that and the assumption that they were told to miss their average accuracy across EP 2-6 was somewhere around 40%.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

orange juche posted:

Actually Stormtroopers weren't too bad at shooting, if you infer that during Episode IV the Stormtroopers were under instruction to miss, in order to make escape, and pursuit of escapees to the Rebel stronghold easier. Stormtroopers were fairly accurate in EP3, and between that and the assumption that they were told to miss their average accuracy across EP 2-6 was somewhere around 40%.

They just hit everyone except main characters in V/VI. Except one glancing hit of course.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Not the stormtroopers' fault that their blasters don't work against plot armor.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soylent Pudding posted:

Can Biden commit right away (after his resignation) to rehiring him and also bring him into the transition team?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Can Biden commit right away (after his resignation) to rehiring him and also bring him into the transition team?

He could, but would Chris Krebs accept it is the question. Then again, Biden managed to bring Rick Bright who got fired from NIH for contradicting Trump into his COVID task force.

The real problem is if Trump hammers actual smart people out of government, will they accept a position in a new administration, or decide that they'd rather make more money outside the government?

E: The follow up tweet seems to imply that the Assistant Director has submitted his resignation, not Chris Krebs. Krebs is probably on the chopping block too, though.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 12, 2020

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

orange juche posted:

He could, but would Chris Krebs accept it is the question. Then again, Biden managed to bring Rick Bright who got fired from NIH for contradicting Trump into his COVID task force.

Fair point, but I also think it would be the ultimate way for him to rebuke/troll Trump. Besides Krebs seems like he legitimately carried about his job/public service.

So I assume Trump is going to appoint Rudy as his replacement?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

facialimpediment posted:

Not the stormtroopers' fault that their blasters don't work against plot armor.

Well, you see, midiclorians

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

orange juche posted:

Well your whole argument falls apart because you forgot to consider that EP3 were the bred to kill clones and by the time 4 took place all of the clones had died due to their accelerated life cycle and were replaced by “”volunteers””

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Are there any cyber security jobs that don't require knowing a programming language or is that kind of job just for higher ups?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Internet Wizard posted:

Well your whole argument falls apart because you forgot to consider that EP3 were the bred to kill clones and by the time 4 took place all of the clones had died due to their accelerated life cycle and were replaced by “”volunteers””

Yeah a fair amount of stormtroopers were probably volunteers. Imagine being stuck in some outer rim shithole like Jakku with no prospects and no way off world, and you don't know about the rebels etc, your only way off world is joining the Empire and becoming a stormtrooper, where you will deploy to wonderful, sought after locations like Hoth, Tatooine and the forest moon of Endor. Poor dudes got lied to by recruiters and told they'd be going to the tropical paradise of Scarif, and wound up getting airdropped into a jungle to get their heads bashed in by teddy bears with clubs and log traps.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 12, 2020

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Bored As gently caress posted:

Are there any cyber security jobs that don't require knowing a programming language or is that kind of job just for higher ups?

A few years ago you could get an entry level security job with literally only a Security+ and help desk experience. No idea if that's true anymore.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

There's plenty of cybersecurity jobs that are much closer to IT than to software engineering. Other entry level security watch jobs are much more monitoring dashboards and diving through logs to triage incidents for the security team.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I thought this article was interesting: The Denialist Playbook https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-denialist-playbook/

I learned a lot about polio. Polio was something the US population was super united about, and a vaccine was celebrated and welcomed as a huge breakthrough. But that doesn't mean you didn't have anti-vaxxers and straight up denialists (not least of which was the school of Chiropracty, which asserted that all diseases result from a misalignment of the spine) and the deniers followed the same playbook that we see today with anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, flat earthers, etc.

The playbook boils down to:

1. Doubt the Science
2. Question Scientists’ Motives and Integrity
3. Magnify Any Disagreements among Scientists and Cite Gadflies as Authorities
4. Exaggerate Potential Harm
5. Appeal to Personal Freedom
6. Reject Whatever Would Repudiate A Key Philosophy (e.g. if you identify as a republican and republicans don't like taxes, then anything that even vaguely suggests taxation could in any way be good is automatically and totally wrong.)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arven posted:

A few years ago you could get an entry level security job with literally only a Security+ and help desk experience. No idea if that's true anymore.

Still true.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Eyes Have It posted:

I thought this article was interesting: The Denialist Playbook https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-denialist-playbook/

I learned a lot about polio. Polio was something the US population was super united about, and a vaccine was celebrated and welcomed as a huge breakthrough. But that doesn't mean you didn't have anti-vaxxers and straight up denialists (not least of which was the school of Chiropracty, which asserted that all diseases result from a misalignment of the spine) and the deniers followed the same playbook that we see today with anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, flat earthers, etc.

The playbook boils down to:

1. Doubt the Science
2. Question Scientists’ Motives and Integrity
3. Magnify Any Disagreements among Scientists and Cite Gadflies as Authorities
4. Exaggerate Potential Harm
5. Appeal to Personal Freedom
6. Reject Whatever Would Repudiate A Key Philosophy (e.g. if you identify as a republican and republicans don't like taxes, then anything that even vaguely suggests taxation could in any way be good is automatically and totally wrong.)

Yeah, I remember my dad telling me that when the vaccine first came out, people were lined around the corners on weekends to get it. If you weren't getting it people would think you were a loving lunatic.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

PAM/IAM consultant here and I can't code. I troubleshoot cryptic bullshit. If you can get Azure/Google/Amazon cloud certificate that is also super handy.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

orange juche posted:

Yeah a fair amount of stormtroopers were probably volunteers. Imagine being stuck in some outer rim shithole like Jakku with no prospects and no way off world, and you don't know about the rebels etc, your only way off world is joining the Empire and becoming a stormtrooper, where you will deploy to wonderful, sought after locations like Hoth, Tatooine and the forest moon of Endor. Poor dudes got lied to by recruiters and told they'd be going to the tropical paradise of Scarif, and wound up getting airdropped into a jungle to get their heads bashed in by teddy bears with clubs and log traps.

Good time to post this from loving decades ago. It blows my mind that there are kids who can buy alcohol who were born after this was being shared around on the lovely 90s internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe6yy3sW6NI

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Man i wonder whatever happened with the people making Imps: The Relentless. I remember the first episode of two from highschool. It was way better than most fan made things

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Stravag posted:

Man i wonder whatever happened with the people making Imps: The Relentless. I remember the first episode of two from highschool. It was way better than most fan made things

They made a third ep, and are now working on a fourth.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Going out swinging. Good for them.

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/1327023283062124545

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well that is certainly a thing. Granted on a conceptual level, I mean we've had policies like this, for tons of countries like this in the past, just usually smaller and more targeted, and more a country like Iran than China.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/12/investing/trump-bans-us-investments-china-military/index.html

quote:

Trump bans US investments that would aid China's military
By Jazmin Goodwin, CNN Business

Updated 5:58 PM ET, Thu November 12, 2020
New York (CNN Business)President Donald Trump signed an executive order banning Americans from investing in Chinese firms that the administration says are owned or controlled by the Chinese military.

The order applies to 31 Chinese companies that it says "enable the development and modernization" of China's military and "directly threaten" US security.
Smartphone maker Huawei and Hikivision, one of the world's largest manufacturers and suppliers of video surveillance equipment, are among the blacklisted companies. Some of the other companies listed, including China Telecom and China Mobile, trade on the New York Stock Exchange.
Trump's order also bans US investors from owning or trading any securities that originate or are exposed to those firms. This includes pension funds or owning shares in the companies that are banned. Investors will have until November 2021 to divest from any of the companies.
The order, set to take effect January 11, comes as trade and technology battles are heating up between the world's two largest economies.

Profiles in Courage. I mean seriously Krebs and his team never compromised or kissed Trumps rear end and were very focused on their mission.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Well that is certainly a thing. Granted on a conceptual level, I mean we've had policies like this, for tons of countries like this in the past, just usually smaller and more targeted, and more a country like Iran than China.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/12/investing/trump-bans-us-investments-china-military/index.html

This seems like it might have helped a lot, if it had been instituted forty years ago.

Funkysock
Aug 8, 2011

Clapping Larry
Don Young, Alaska's only representative tested positive for covid.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/525754-alaska-rep-don-young-positive-for-covid-19
:toot:

But man, if it can't take an 87 year old...

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Profiles in Courage. I mean seriously Krebs and his team never compromised or kissed Trumps rear end and were very focused on their mission.

Here's the full statement:

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1327028626446053378

https://twitter.com/NickMiroff/status/1326995318307696640

I can't remember an election that was as well-run as this one was. The worst thing that happened was lines during the first day or two of early voting, then the rest sailed through. Even the PA Naked Ballot problem fizzled out.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Funkysock posted:

Don Young, Alaska's only representative tested positive for covid.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/525754-alaska-rep-don-young-positive-for-covid-19
:toot:

But man, if it can't take an 87 year old...

Don Young is basically the most corrupt of the congresscritters, and everyone knows it.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

orange juche posted:

Don Young is basically the most corrupt of the congresscritters, and everyone knows it.

I voted for his challenger from 2000-18.

Sorry

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

TCD posted:

I voted for his challenger from 2000-18.

Sorry

If you voted for the person trying to oust him why would you apologize?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

vote luca

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

orange juche posted:

Because a good leftist votes early and often.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

facialimpediment posted:

Here's the full statement:

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1327028626446053378

https://twitter.com/NickMiroff/status/1326995318307696640

I can't remember an election that was as well-run as this one was. The worst thing that happened was lines during the first day or two of early voting, then the rest sailed through. Even the PA Naked Ballot problem fizzled out.

Now that you bring it up, I dont remember hearing much (or anything at all?) about long lines after the first few days of voting

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

orange juche posted:

Sorry, it's the Canadian influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Woofer posted:

Now that you bring it up, I dont remember hearing much (or anything at all?) about long lines after the first few days of voting

Yep! A lot of sites were overwhelmed on each state's first day because the turnout was basically that of a new iPhone launch. Once each state got past that first/second day, the crowds became manageable and were fine.

There was still some limited bullshit about *where* the polling places were, or *how* the absentee ballots could be dropped off, but lines weren't really a concern. Expanded early and widespread mail basically made election day smooth sailing.