Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Nosre posted:

Looks like they're great people on steroids, with a limited amount of uses still?

Looks awesome, though first hearing "hero" I thought back to Civ 4 Fall from Heaven, which was some of the most fun I've had in the entire 30 year series

Seems like they're more like super units since we see them fighting/building. I like the unique death relic system. I wonder if there's going to be a viable strategy around finding and then immediate getting a certain hero killed just to get their specific relic bonuses. I hope so since that just sounds like a fun strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Heroes sounds like it's worth another playthrough.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

If we're gonna have mythical heroes there should be a Paul Bunyan character that gains attacking power for every forest he chops.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
also if there is a hero Scout it should be Ötzi, who was basically a bronze age Ranger :colbert:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96tzi

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Has anybody seen the Frontier Pass go on sale yet? I’m hesitant to buy right before Black Friday but I’d like to get into playing it!

I’m playing on Switch so I doubt it’ll go on sale anytime soon. Unless of course I buy it.... then immediate sale.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Everything but New Frontier has been on sale regularly so I doubt it would be until theyve finished it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Bob A Feet posted:

Has anybody seen the Frontier Pass go on sale yet? I’m hesitant to buy right before Black Friday but I’d like to get into playing it!

I’m playing on Switch so I doubt it’ll go on sale anytime soon. Unless of course I buy it.... then immediate sale.

Yeah they just had a huge sale with all the expansions and everything. I think the Season Pass might have gotten 10% off, but that's like $4.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
If we're talking disappointments for heros not in the game, Cú Chulainn or Rostom would be awesome . In terms of new Great people seeing Rumi is nice, he's a solid go to for recognizable Persian poets but I personally want to also see Hafez or Ferdowsi.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Goa Tse-tung posted:

also if there is a hero Scout it should be Ötzi, who was basically a bronze age Ranger :colbert:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96tzi

That dude hosed. He has living relatives 5500 years later.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Don't we all have relatives that lived 5500 years ago?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

John F Bennett posted:

Don't we all have relatives that lived 5500 years ago?

but not everyone living 5500 years ago has relatives now is the point

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i cannot loving win on deity, jesus christ. balancing having to expand rapidly to catch up to the AI, produce a strong enough military to defend against the aggression and still somehow surpass the other civs in Culture/Science seems loving impossible :negative:

I've watched a bunch of PMW vids and I just cannot keep the mid-game together and inevitably I'm either invaded by a superior technology military or just can't catch up culturally. wah

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ex post facho posted:

i cannot loving win on deity, jesus christ. balancing having to expand rapidly to catch up to the AI, produce a strong enough military to defend against the aggression and still somehow surpass the other civs in Culture/Science seems loving impossible :negative:

I've watched a bunch of PMW vids and I just cannot keep the mid-game together and inevitably I'm either invaded by a superior technology military or just can't catch up culturally. wah

Honestly, you will get there. Once you have some good rules of thumb established in your mind you will trounce everything under Deity. However, eventually you'll start figuring out the exceptions to those rules, which are always context specific, when you actually need more military units instead of another settler, when you need another campus in your culture game instead of something else. You will get a sense for it, and once you do, that sense will carry you through 80% of your deity games (Admittedly, some deity games are just unwinnable. Have you ever spawned in between the Zulu, Alexander and the Scythians.....you will just lose quickly). If you're having trouble and want to make it easy on yourself, play one of the dumb overpowered civs, like Ethiopia or Gran Columbia or Korea. This will help give you the most bang for your buck when trying to overcome the Deity AI. Also, you're going to be way better at using secret societies than the AI is, so....turning that toggle on can be very helpful.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If the AI had the ability to actually use cultists they would be super scary.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I tried Korea and spamming Seowons, then got open border back stabbed by Alexander :mad:

Recently tried Kongo after watching PMWs game and survived a lot better via the diplomatic game, thinking I was making progress with a triple theatre square...and then I get a notification that Germany has finished Broadway... In 1410 :negative: checked the score update tracker and I'm 5/5 on everything. Sheesh.

Question about Kongo, how do you get your apostles to die to create relics? I could only manage to get that as an apostle promotion once /4 in my most recent game

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It does come down to luck, or if you build St Michels Mount they all get it for free. Plus more spots to put relics...

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ex post facho posted:

I tried Korea and spamming Seowons, then got open border back stabbed by Alexander :mad:

Recently tried Kongo after watching PMWs game and survived a lot better via the diplomatic game, thinking I was making progress with a triple theatre square...and then I get a notification that Germany has finished Broadway... In 1410 :negative: checked the score update tracker and I'm 5/5 on everything. Sheesh.

Question about Kongo, how do you get your apostles to die to create relics? I could only manage to get that as an apostle promotion once /4 in my most recent game

I haven't played in Deity yet, but you might consider the Inca? I've been playing as them a bunch on lower difficulty, and their mountain start bias is especially good for fending off offensive wars and setting up easy quality science districts.

Not sure if they suit your playstyle overall, but they might be worth a shot.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

ex post facho posted:

Spamming Seowons and nothing else sounds like a recipe for this disaster. You need to not neglect other stuff.

With the AI you want to ply them into a friendship and then renew those if they're the aggressive type. With Macedon you can try and tag team another Civ to distract him. he'll love you if you're at war with other Civs.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ex post facho posted:

I don't play on Deity (not willing to micro that much), but watching some of PMW's videos the biggest difference I can see is that he plans out much further in advance than I do. That helps him identify where his next 2-4 cities are going, how he's going to optimize his district placement to maximize adjacency bonuses, which techs to beeline, etc. Of course you always need to be flexible in case you get forward settled, or a city gets murdered by a flood, or any of a thousand other RNG things beyond your control, but that amount of planning allows you to find other efficiencies.

Set your plans up early, try to stick to them, and from there it's simply micro and optimization - chop every forest/rainforest on hills to put down mines, trading away excess resources to buy buildings/units, etc.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Marmaduke! posted:

It does come down to luck, or if you build St Michels Mount they all get it for free. Plus more spots to put relics...

How dare you call it this. It's Mont St. Michel

:france:

I don't care if that's the proper English name either. It's still wrong :colbert:

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 12, 2020

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
We have our own version in Cornwall too, it can be a bit of a headfuck

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
St micheal and his dumb mont can kiss my rear end!!!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

So... Babylon has a broken way of approaching science.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Samovar posted:

So... Babylon has a broken way of approaching science.

No kidding, holy poo poo

Eurekas unlock the tech, but your science production is super nerfed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo0aqclQjQw

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
They can skip ahead in the tech tree this way, holy poo poo.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/EdBeach23/status/1326936921856237569

The lead designer is claiming that the AI knows how to play Babylon, they probably have some behavior that seeks out eurekas

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Babylon looks like a fun challenge, and I bet a talented player using them will crush the gently caress out of anyone else.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I still don't understand the difference between a season pass and dlc. Does a season pass give you temporary access to all the current DLC? If so how can you tell how long a "season" is?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dick Trauma posted:

I still don't understand the difference between a season pass and dlc. Does a season pass give you temporary access to all the current DLC? If so how can you tell how long a "season" is?

Season pass is prepaying for all the DLC, not getting it temporarily. So you get an overall discount vs. buying it as each piece is released. They also give you a variant of Teddy Roosevelt you can't get any other way.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Rimusutera posted:

They can skip ahead in the tech tree this way, holy poo poo.

Yeah, it sounds insane if you can unlock a tech without first discovering prerequisites, which it looks like it does. Lots of the late game units are locked behind some kind of finnicky requirements to beeline or resources which are similary gated, but I think you'd want to get a Quarry for Engineering, an aqueduct for Military Engineering, kill 3 barbarians for Bronze Working (or just research that while doing other stuff), get an armory for a military engineer, and build 2 forts to unlock Ballistics and Field cannons.

Meanwhile on the culture side of things, beeline Feudalism to unlock Stirrups, build a Knight and kill a unit with it to unlock and now you have Cavalry.

I think you could easily be fielding field cannons and cavalry while everyone else is still working with archers and horsemen.

That said, lots of the latest techs can only be boosted by spies or great scientists, so those are going to be harder for Babylon to get.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 12, 2020

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Honestly just having an AI who likes to build lots of different districts is going to be a huge boost over most AIs in this game.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Dick Trauma posted:

The season pass is you prepaying for future content. The way it was initially delivered turned me off to it: paying $40 upfront for unreleased content when I paid full price for the game and the DLC. I’ve come around to it though cause there is a poo poo ton of content offered through the new game modes.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I wonder if they are going to release each of the frontier pass DLCs separetely later

I dont want them all

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Babylon + dramatic ages + secret societies is going to be so crazy.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

ded posted:

Babylon + dramatic ages + secret societies is going to be so crazy.

Babylon + tech/civic shuffle will be 🍿.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Aerdan posted:

Babylon + tech/civic shuffle will be 🍿.

The Eurekas don't change, so Babylon will barely be slowed down by that mode while everyone else will be scrambling to unlock military upgrades. It's just unfortunate that being a good Babylon player probably means writing down a bunch of Eurekas to finish.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

As awesome as instant research sounds, keep in mind Babylon also has its science output cut in half which means researching mining, animal husbandry and pottery, none of which have Eureka's and unlock tile improvements needed for other Eureka's, means they could be in for a very slow start getting their infrastructure going.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Bluff Buster posted:

As awesome as instant research sounds, keep in mind Babylon also has its science output cut in half which means researching mining, animal husbandry and pottery, none of which have Eureka's and unlock tile improvements needed for other Eureka's, means they could be in for a very slow start getting their infrastructure going.

To add to this: eurekaing crossbowmen super early will be entertaining but will either bankrupt you purchasing or take forever to produce.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Have they even called it a season pass? Its just called the New Frontier pass in all official contexts, which is a straightforward prepaying for the year of DLC.

Reveilled posted:

I think you could easily be fielding field cannons and cavalry while everyone else is still working with archers and horsemen.

Someone on the Reddit pointed out you can beeline Industrialization for +3 mines before everyone else, too.

Bob A Feet posted:

To add to this: eurekaing crossbowmen super early will be entertaining but will either bankrupt you purchasing or take forever to produce.

Prebuilding is your friend though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Civ6 doesn't really lend itself well to swapping around empire ouputs on a whim, but I do wonder if Babylon could do some sort of crazy 'who needs science?' approach to things after early game is over and try to get everything, literally everything, done via eurekas until information age?