Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i loving hate the cbs player. disabling adblockers still has them blocking you from watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

the season finale will have Jean-Luc Hyperriker saving the day in the Voyager-J

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Nice to see Voyager is still just ripping off The Next Generation :v:.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

collected views of the Constitution-class; looks like this ship is the USS Armstrong?

i don't hate it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s too flat and the saucer looks like someone combined the Discovery and Oberth, but yeah I don’t hate it either.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Look at this fuckin' ship it is 80% nacelle and I love it so much

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Looks like the people who guessed the warp core would be separated from the ship appear to be right. They specifically said the nacelles aren't physically attached.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Now playing on airplay

Why

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

blastron posted:

Look at this fuckin' ship it is 80% nacelle and I love it so much

USS Tuning Fork

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

real glad we're getting past the eaves designs; he did a lot for the franchise over the years but his stuff all kinda looked the same ultimately

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

USS Tuning Fork

This ship won't blow up ever because its warp core oscillates at 432 spaceHertz.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

tarlibone posted:

This ship won't blow up ever because its warp core oscillates at 432 spaceHertz.

Yeah, but if you blink at that frequency the self destruct activates.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
okay is there like a rule against teleporting corpses or something? why couldn't they just beam homeboy and his dead fam on board together.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

CaptainSkinny posted:

Looks like the people who guessed the warp core would be separated from the ship appear to be right. They specifically said the nacelles aren't physically attached.

That's the kind of thing which is absurd when they first said it, but then after thinking for a few seconds makes perfect sense with a few more centuries of development of Starfleet tech. Structural Integrity Fields and Inertial Dampeners already make the ships able to hold together in manoeuvres that the physical materials alone wouldn't be able to handle, so at some point why even bother with a token connection if the tech is reliable enough.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Khanstant posted:

okay is there like a rule against teleporting corpses or something? why couldn't they just beam homeboy and his dead fam on board together.

He knows they are dead but is grieving and is in denial still thinking he might be able to do something himself to help them. If they transported them onto Discovery and took them back it would be admitting that it was time to move on.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
They also bring up the point in the episode that it’s unethical for a Starfleet ship to just disregard a culture’s grieving process and forcibly transport them all aboard.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Yeah but this Starfleet is totally evil or self serving

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

He knows they are dead but is grieving and is in denial still thinking he might be able to do something himself to help them. If they transported them onto Discovery and took them back it would be admitting that it was time to move on.

Fair enough, Mr Freeze syndrome but with plants in the plant ark.

My favourite little moment of this episode was Saru chiding Burnham's first instinct still being "let's ignore chain of command and protocol!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m going to be furious if we get a loving Voyager-J but still no future Defiants.

I mean I get it, every idiot and their brother loves the former and the latter has constantly been treated like the forgotten stepchild of the franchise, but come on.

With how important the Defiant is to the mirror universe and Terrans, I think there's a chance this season to see that, if not, old defiant maybe?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, the Voyager-J had a very Hero Ship look and feel to it. It's already got people speculating that we're either going to see it in action alongside Discovery before the end of the season, or that whatever leads to the abandonment of Discovery in Calypso happens this year and the Voy-J is going to become the new Discovery for the rest of the show.

Star Trek Discovery S3E07:

Fleet Admiral Burnham: "Holographic Admirial Janeway?!"

Holographic Admiral Janeway: "In the flesh! Well, so to speak. Now, a word to the wise about the Borg queen..."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I like how Culber's primary job is to remind Michael that she's the main character.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I like how Culber's primary job is to remind Michael that she's the main character.

it is getting weird, like a "poo poo we need to have an excuse for michael to be the one doing this" scene every episode

i mean, it's better than not having an excuse, but maybe let some of the other characters have some fun for a bit

edit: now that she's first officer maybe it'll feel less forced moving forward

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

angerbeet posted:

Star Trek Discovery S3E07:

Fleet Admiral Burnham: "Holographic Admirial Janeway?!"

Holographic Admiral Janeway: "In the flesh! Well, so to speak. Now, a word to the wise about the Borg queen..."

I can't believe we're getting HyperRiker, only it's HyperJaneway instead.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Well it's not like he could have talked to the grieving doctor or anything, what with his stand in ships counselor status and all.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I liked this episode and forgot I was watching Discovery right up to the tear filled "Michael you're the most important person ever" scene, which I could have done without. Overall I feel like Season 3 is better than 1 or 2, and I hope the show continues to improve.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I hope no one blinks too much at the holographic walls of their jungle ship

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017

I'm not crying, it's just raining

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I liked this episode and forgot I was watching Discovery right up to the tear filled "Michael you're the most important person ever" scene, which I could have done without. Overall I feel like Season 3 is better than 1 or 2, and I hope the show continues to improve.

I thought they handled Michael pretty well otherwise this episode. It was really refreshing seeing her just be a competent officer and mission commander for once.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah. If Culber had just done it instead of again being Michael Go Do My Job guy then I think the cast balance in this episode would have been good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

I don’t like the detached floating nacelles and the spindly little bit at the bottom that makes no sense, but I do like the more organic designs we’ve seen thus far.

It’s a good tribute too :unsmith:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That was so bizarre. YOU'RE THE DOCTOR, MORON! Why are you telling her to do the therapy?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Oh god, I thought we got rid of POSes are the Orions going to come during the reinforcement timer?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

That's a cute nod.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

nine-gear crow posted:

I can't believe we're getting HyperRiker, only it's HyperJaneway instead.

Holographic HyperJaneway is what leads to whatever she's doing in Star Trek: Prodigy - which will serve as an "origin story" for everyone's favourite immortal bipolar sassy hologram.....

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gelf posted:

Holographic HyperJaneway is what leads to whatever she's doing in Star Trek: Prodigy - which will serve as an "origin story" for everyone's favourite immortal bipolar sassy hologram.....

I would unironically be down for Janeway being The Chief from the Netflix Carmen Sandiego show for Prodigy.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm binging Discovery, so after Pike showed up I went back and watched The Menagerie for the first time in many years. It's a classic of course, but it's hilarious that most of the episode is the Star Trek characters watching a Star Trek episode. Also that the Keeper decided to present this transmission to them with dramatic cuts and a full score.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Lum_ posted:

I know there's no way in hell David Cronenberg can be a recurring character, but I dug the hell out of the way Starfleet just had the perfect interrogator (I assume he was their chief of intelligence or whatever Section 31 mutated into) to get under Georgiou's skin.

Holy crap I didn't realize it was actually Cronenberg, I thought it was a lookalike

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Cronenberg heard that seasons 1 and 2 had body horror and was like "Yo, you guys are doing body horror? Lemme get in on that." and now there's no body horror at all.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Gonz posted:

Cronenberg heard that seasons 1 and 2 had body horror and was like "Yo, you guys are doing body horror? Lemme get in on that." and now there's no body horror at all.

He's still bumming around hoping they have chunks of Leland on ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Man I hope we get to see the Enterprise-J in all of it's glorious colossal pizza cutter glory.