Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

GWBBQ posted:

Despite the moral panic about rap music, it's less violent than pop or country. https://www.researchgate.net/public..._from_2006-2016

It's almost as if Thompson and the rest of the "think of the children!" crowd are scared by something about the artists rather than the music itself :thunk:

"Goodbye Earl" has meant that no man has been safe with his beans again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

quote:

The first example is from the song titled, “How We Do,” from the album The Documentary (2005), by The Game:

Don’t try to front,
I’ll leave yo’ rear end, slumped
Thinkin I’m a punk
Get your fuckin head, lumped

This particular excerpt would be coded as justified violence as the artist is promoting violence to maintain his tough, masculine, gansta image. The violence, therefore is justified, because if one tries to “front” or thinks he is a punk, then getting your head “lumped” or rear end slumped would be considered justified violence.

The second example is from the song, “Hollaback Girl,” from the album Love, Angel, Music, Baby (2005) by Gwen Steffani:

Both of us want to be the winner, but there can only be one,
So I’m gonna fight, gonna give it my all
Gonna make you fall, gonna sock it to you
That’s right I’m the last one standing, another one bites the dust

Similarly, this song would be coded as justified violence because the artist is portraying the necessity to use aggression to win and be on top.

:allears:

What about the song "Tick Tock," by the artist Kes$ha:

Don't stop, make it pop
DJ, blow my speakers up
Tonight, I'ma fight
'Til we see the sunlight

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 06:48 on Nov 8, 2020

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

My favourite Jack Thompson moment was when some gamergate person recruited him into participating in their propaganda vids and spun it as "see the sjws are so bad that this guy is actually extremely good in comparison"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

:allears:

What about the song "Tick Tock," by the artist Kes$ha:

Don't stop, make it pop
DJ, blow my speakers up
Tonight, I'ma fight
'Til we see the sunlight

Yeah, I didn't read the whole paper but the little bits I skimmed seemed really....stupid.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It's far from perfect, but far and above the most intellectually honest and least racist look at the subject I've seen by virtue of applying the same standard across the board.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Goodbye Earl" has meant that no man has been safe with his beans again.
Ugh, thanks for reminding me that right wing political correctness forced them to drop "Dixie" from their name"

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Pretty good posted:

My favourite Jack Thompson moment was when some gamergate person recruited him into participating in their propaganda vids and spun it as "see the sjws are so bad that this guy is actually extremely good in comparison"

This is something I don't get because as I understand it, Thompson supports Trump and Trump blames shootings on video games. By and large Jack would have more ideological pull on the guy in charge even if they two never met, but somehow it's the liberals that want to take your games away.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I seem to have a vague recollection of him submitting a Doom WAD someone made that put him in game as some sort of defamation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Golden Gael posted:

This is something I don't get because as I understand it, Thompson supports Trump and Trump blames shootings on video games. By and large Jack would have more ideological pull on the guy in charge even if they two never met, but somehow it's the liberals that want to take your games away.

Nobody remembers Trump said that, least of all Trump.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

I seem to have a vague recollection of him submitting a Doom WAD someone made that put him in game as some sort of defamation.

There was a San Andreas mod that was literally called Defamation of Character: A Jack Thompson Murder Simulator. As I recall, Jack was not amused when he found out about it.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
A Biographical webcomic about the Elan school. One of those residential behavior modification program schools weird rear end teenage kidnapping cult jails.
https://elan.school/chapter-1-5/
Edit: Content warning for severe humiliation, mental/physical abuse of teenagers.

Sarcopenia has a new favorite as of 06:56 on Nov 13, 2020

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Sarcopenia posted:

A Biographical webcomic about the Elan school. One of those residential behavior modification program schools weird rear end teenage kidnapping cult jails.

Well I read all that's available so far and holy poo poo it's terrible. Those poor kids.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
There was a whole GBS thread about Elan a while back. David Sedaris's sister Tiffany was sent there and it destroyed her. She ended up committing suicide and her will barred her family from coming to her funeral or collecting her ashes.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

There was a whole GBS thread about Elan a while back. David Sedaris's sister Tiffany was sent there and it destroyed her. She ended up committing suicide and her will barred her family from coming to her funeral or collecting her ashes.
That is both incredibly sad and understandable.
Luckily I think that Paris Hilton and Kat Von D speaking out about their personal experiences at a similar kind of hell hole will hopefully lead to a push for some heavy regulations and shutdowns.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Sarcopenia posted:

i sat and read this all the way to the most recent one. horrifying

edit: should mention if you’ve had any abuse and trauma, tread lightly with this one. unpleasant things floating up again

nishi koichi has a new favorite as of 04:41 on Nov 13, 2020

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
I made it to 30-40 months and tapped out.

God I’m so thankful my parents are kind and reasonable people.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

nishi koichi posted:

edit: should mention if you’ve had any abuse and trauma, tread lightly with this one. unpleasant things floating up again
Good call, added a content warning to the original post.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

nishi koichi posted:

yeah jesus christ no loving joke that really did a number on me :smithicide:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Comrade Koba posted:

yeah jesus christ no loving joke that really did a number on me :smithicide:
Aw man, sorry bud. :smith:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I nearly got sent to a wilderness programme/reform school/similar thing when I was 16 and the only reason I didn't was because my mother procrastinated long enough for my school to say that they'd let me come back, which, to her, meant that the problem was solved. (The problem was that I had tried to kill myself.) Ever since learning about the troubled teens industry and reading a few firsthand accounts in my early twenties, I've been aware that I dodged a huge bullet. After spending the past couple hours binge reading that comic... gently caress, dude, this is way beyond anything that I've seen. "Elan School" is a name I've encountered before and I'm sure I already had a vague idea that it was a particularly bad example but nothing could have prepared me.

State complicity in these operations is enough of a tragedy, but I am kinda quietly melting down at the fact that there are parents who willingly seek them out, still, well over a decade past the internet having become a ubiquitous feature of all of our lives. I'm sure none of the options my mother was considering for me were quite like this. I'm also sure that they were all still exquisite little hells hiding behind the most respectable branding they could come up with, banking on both the justice system pipeline and parents with enough of a dearth of critical thought to get sucked in. And I want to tell myself that there's no way that any of my possible pasts could ever in a million years have led to an experience like what the author went through, but

I am going to go take a very long very hot shower

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
There is, I hope, a very special place in hell for the people running these things.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I have a guilty pleasure in binging dr phil clips on YouTube, and it seems like even his show, which has funneled so many kids into 'the ranch', has had to cover how bad 'ranches' can get. (of course, he still sends kids to 'a good one' which is bs) I hope that man is haunted by what he's perpetuated. For the ranch thing and in general

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Christ I thought it had ended, but it’s ongoing. Jesus. The comic to be clear, I’m too shaken to look into this stuff further atm. This is a hell country with hell people on a hell world and capitalism is a disease.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

I’m too shaken to look into this stuff further atm. This is a hell country with hell people on a hell world and capitalism is a disease.

Don't. There's always more and it's always worse.

And it's not limited to the US, either.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Killingyouguy! posted:

I have a guilty pleasure in binging dr phil clips on YouTube, and it seems like even his show, which has funneled so many kids into 'the ranch', has had to cover how bad 'ranches' can get. (of course, he still sends kids to 'a good one' which is bs) I hope that man is haunted by what he's perpetuated. For the ranch thing and in general
He send the "Cash' me outside" girl to one too. I think it's Turn About Ranch, which is also the ranch program used for the English reality tv series Brat Camp. A couple of years ago I recognized one of the teens from the Brat Camp show on another reality show where she was pulling some ladies hair.

Edit: A parent sued the school for abusing her daughter.
https://www.courthousenews.com/torture-alleged-at-utah-treatment-center/

Sarcopenia has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Nov 14, 2020

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Pilot partly fell out of a faulty airplane window but somehow managed to survive until the plane landed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Sarcopenia posted:

Pilot partly fell out of a faulty airplane window but somehow managed to survive until the plane landed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390

Thanks for this. I simultaneously like and get freaked out by airplane mishaps. Especially if they come with black box recordings.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

There was a My Favorite Murder about the Elan School a few months back, if you all want to get deeper into it. Ep. 241. It's gnarly though, so be warned.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Pondex posted:

There was a My Favorite Murder about the Elan School a few months back, if you all want to get deeper into it. Ep. 241. It's gnarly though, so be warned.
Urgh, bummer I can't stand MFM but would love to listen to a podcast that digs into Elan.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Sarcopenia posted:

Urgh, bummer I can't stand MFM but would love to listen to a podcast that digs into Elan.

yeah for real, they're insufferable. There was an episode of True Anon where Brace talks about his experience being sent to one, it's hard to listen to.

https://soundcloud.com/trueanonpod/brat-camp

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
My sister in law was sent to a ranch in Utah by her fundamentalist Mormon parents when she was 15. They were driving home after a normal school day in Denver, stopped for a burger, explained they had a bag packed for her, and they were going to a camp. She asked how long they'd be staying and they replied "well, we're not sure how long you'll be staying, but we're dropping you off".

She was stuck until she was 18. She's told me a bit, but she's largely programmed now. The camp was extremely effective in brainwashing her. There were times where they weren't allowed more than six feet from a "counselor", got watched during showers, all kinds of heinous poo poo. She's back in the fold, now. It is extremely heinous.

Edit: my wife is not a Mormon. She speaks to her parents only occasionally. I have not spoken to them ever since they sent her to the camp and plan on keeping that streak.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
How old is your sister in law now?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

How old is your sister in law now?

I think she's 23 now.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

sephiRoth IRA posted:

My sister in law was sent to a ranch in Utah by her fundamentalist Mormon parents when she was 15. They were driving home after a normal school day in Denver, stopped for a burger, explained they had a bag packed for her, and they were going to a camp. She asked how long they'd be staying and they replied "well, we're not sure how long you'll be staying, but we're dropping you off".

She was stuck until she was 18. She's told me a bit, but she's largely programmed now. The camp was extremely effective in brainwashing her. There were times where they weren't allowed more than six feet from a "counselor", got watched during showers, all kinds of heinous poo poo. She's back in the fold, now. It is extremely heinous.

Edit: my wife is not a Mormon. She speaks to her parents only occasionally. I have not spoken to them ever since they sent her to the camp and plan on keeping that streak.

I’m so sorry

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
for some levity,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKfPgZO7zOo

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/JodiDoering/status/1327771329555292162

jesus christ this thread

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Those replies are quite supportive for the most part but when they're not they really aren't

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I may have once brought up The Seed on here, who I've covered in an older video. Basically, the Cliff's Notes on it are that it was a teen rehab program in the 1970s started by a guy named Art Barker. Art was friends with Jackie Gleeson who was a patron of this place. What we know about it basically comes from an old news report from the early 80s and the anecdotes of former members, which are rarely positive. They did "attack therapy" where groups of kids would yell at one who was guilty of a misdemeanor within the group, like talking to people who weren't Seedlings. A few local judges and politicians either turned a blind eye to or actively sent teen delinquents to this hellhole.

I think Art's adopted daughter runs an animal charity or something now, which he gave a pile of money to shortly before he died.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
My wife's niece started getting into trouble as a teenager. Partying a lot, stole my mother-in-law's truck and crashed it in a cornfield, getting into physical brawls, etc.

The in-laws decided it would be a good idea to ship her off to one of those places. I'd read a couple articles about them and tried to convince everyone it was a very bad idea. They didn't listen and shipped her off to The Academy at Ivy Ridge in upstate NY.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_at_Ivy_Ridge

She was only there for about a year, but she's 31 and is just now starting to talk about it a little.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

See, this is why they should lower the recruitment age for the military and allow parents to sign up their kids. Tossing angry teenagers at problems is a time honored tradition in the military and this way they'll at least get paid for all the abuses they get put through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I brought this up in the GBS thread about this but its somewhat easy to tell basically everyone who was sent to these were normal teens doing normal poo poo and not really "troubled" because you would have 100% had staff murdered.