Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

The Oldest Man posted:

Semper brunch.

karen or die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Sic Semper Mimosa

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Gerund posted:

This slow-rolling is probably what is needed to get maybe an extra chunk of folks on board but it is really disappointing that this wasn't started earlier.

This "we'll be announcing restrictions next week that'll be taking effect two weeks from now" poo poo is what's driven me nuts about Inslee all along. Ugh. How many heartfelt pleas have we had from him and Duchin to take this seriously? People clearly aren't, the election is over-- shut it down and tell the chuds to eat poo poo if they don't like it.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Kate Brown just put 5 counties in Oregon on a pause. This means it's highly suggested people not gather together for a brief time. No rules, certainly no penalties, and not even guidance for bars, restaurants or any other storefront.

If the CHUDs finally caught up with her I wouldn't shed a tear.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
as was proven earlier in the year "recommendations" are by and large useless and are only slightly less stupid than mandates that have zero plan for enforcement.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

as was proven earlier in the year "recommendations" are by and large useless and are only slightly less stupid than mandates that have zero plan for enforcement.

Granted, right now Oregon has nearly thrown up its hands and it seems like they are fine with a coming Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years wave as long as the bars stay open.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavi...idays-loom.html
"Fully 52% of Oregon’s coronavirus cases reported this week are from the Portland area, with Multnomah County setting a daily record Thursday of 351 confirmed or suspected infections out of the state’s record 1,122."

The governor is having a press conference tomorrow to announce new measures. I can see why she's terrified to shutdown again because everyone is broke and angry/scared but the appeal to personal responsibility clearly isn't working to slow cases.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

52% for, what is it, 3/4 of the population?

e:

jackson county, which has a fraction of the population of multnomah had 120 some cases today. that's 1/0th of the cases for waaaaay less than 1/10th of the population.

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 13, 2020

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I work for Washington County and there's been serious talk about shutting the county down again starting next week if the governor doesn't do it herself. I think it's inevitable, honestly.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Anybody who isn't insane or doing the, "we're all gonna get it/gonna die one day," poo poo knows another lockdown should've been put in place already.

My feeling has been that Brown has aspirations beyond Oregon and doesn't wanna be the governor who "ruined" Oregon's economy. It's tough for me to see her having success at the national level, but it's the most reasonable explanation I can come up with for the delay. Once one western state does it, it seems like an easier sell to the rest of the region and I'm assuming Inslee and Newsom have national aspirations too.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
We should have used the time the first lockdown bought us to institute a comprehensive testing and contact tracing regime. It's a loving wasted effort without that. If we'd done it then we probably wouldn't be looking at a second shutdown now. Also we never should have opened up in-person indoor dining and drinking again. That really should have waited for a vaccine.

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

It's absolutely insane that Inslee made a big show of going OH WE'RE HAVING A PRESS CONFERENCE TONIGHT and then had to immediately go 'it's just so we can scold people about getting sick and dying because we're allowing community spread unchecked' about it. A friend works at a big company I won't name that essentially reopened their office with social distancing and they had an hourlong meeting today about coronavirus and going 'jay inslee is going to hold a press conference tonight so we'll wait and see what happens' and now an entire office is gonna be going to work for at least, minimum, 2 more days (probably more, because everyone enforcing new restrictions has made them effective in 1-3 days) where every one of them is at risk of infection. Absolutely loving stupid.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

622 new cases yesterday in King county. Don't go outside.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I am incredibly pissed at Inslee tbh. That felt like nothing more than rank cowardice.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I put in for the two weeks after thanksgiving off work, now I just need to convince my at risk parents to buy a pile of canned food. I work retail and we've only had 3 cases at my work so far, months in between each one, but it can't last and Thanksgiving is going to be a petri dish for the whole state if these cowards don't lockdown loving yesterday

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Semper Fidelis Espresso

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/Crosscut/status/1326913647302627329?s=20

*bangs fists on table*
MEANS TEST
MEANS TEST

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Aside from cops, is there a bigger bunch of baby whiners out there than landlords? loving Christ it’s constant “oh my passive income stream sometimes has risks isn’t that just the worst thing ever”

“Oh we provide an essential service” no you don’t bitch you just insert yourself in the middle to leech passive income off of folks and cry when it doesn’t work out perfect

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

Aside from cops, is there a bigger bunch of baby whiners out there than landlords? loving Christ it’s constant “oh my passive income stream sometimes has risks isn’t that just the worst thing ever”

“Oh we provide an essential service” no you don’t bitch you just insert yourself in the middle to leech passive income off of folks and cry when it doesn’t work out perfect

quote:

At the same time, the extension sent landlords clamoring to fully repeal or at least roll back more of the moratorium — saying it would push many out of business. One group filed a lawsuit against Washington last summer seeking to roll back the moratorium.

"We need to end it," said state Rep. Andrew Barkis, R-Chehalis, who also owns a property management company.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
They know that people on the margins are going to have the most difficulty with coming up with the necessary paperwork for a “hardship” test.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

That stunt lawsuit against the city for not shooting everyone in the CHOP is serving its intended purpose (that is, allowing every right wing columnist and noise-maker to make a buck bloviating about it)

George 'the real victim of slavery was America' Will posted:

The mills of justice grind slowly, so this litigation will live a lot longer than CHOP did. If the suit results, properly, in financial restitution for CHOP’s victims and financial pain for Seattle taxpayers, CHOP will have been, on balance, a net public benefit. Beyond demonstrating to Seattle voters the cost of electing childish people such as Mayor Durkan and kindred spirits on the city council, the suit can warn progressive governments from coast to coast that there is a price to be paid for pandering to the carriers of fashionable passions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/seattle-is-due-for-an-expensive-lesson/2020/11/12/1743afee-252c-11eb-8672-c281c7a2c96e_story.html

Let this be a lesson for liberals: you can either admit your bloodthirst or reject it, but take no half measures. There will always be those waiting in the wings for your desire to kill to maintain the order of things to waver, and they will swoop in and call you a communist, an anarchist, a child for failing (even for a moment) to do the violence that our system requires, and they will turn the guns on you instead.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Guess what's back on the menu now that the chair-stealing fraud got booted by the WA courts again:

https://mobile.twitter.com/seattletimes/status/1328002783979646983

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Hey look Inslee read the room.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Gerund posted:

Guess what's back on the menu now that the chair-stealing fraud got booted by the WA courts again:

https://mobile.twitter.com/seattletimes/status/1328002783979646983

I'm so pissed that the only discussion going on about the West Seattle bridge is either full replacement or repair.

Like, replace it with transit. Stop encouraging people to car commute from West loving Seattle into downtown.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

George posted:

Hey look Inslee read the room.

loving finally a couple of weeks late and 50% of what’s necessary.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

I'm so pissed that the only discussion going on about the West Seattle bridge is either full replacement or repair.

Like, replace it with transit. Stop encouraging people to car commute from West loving Seattle into downtown.

That bridge is in soooooo much worse shape than they are letting on. I cannot be specific unfortunately.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

I have a better idea which is a) easier, b) more sustainable, and c) free: Don't replace it.

Don't continue to subsidize commuter culture with public money. Your rebuild a car bridge, people will drive to work. You build a light rail bridge, they'll put a giant rear end park and ride at the end of the line and people will move even further into the sprawl and drive to the train station. Dezone the gently caress out of West Seattle and develop a local business district that the people who live there can commute to without insane rear end infrastructure projects that serve only to allow a city neighborhood to continue to live the fantasy bedroom community life.

I realize this is a politically untenable position but we should be asking ourselves every single day "is this subsidizing a public good? is this a sustainable investment? is this developing our city in the directions that will fight urban entropy and poverty and climate change, or is it going to make it harder to do any of those?"

I think investing tens of millions in making it convenient to commute from West Seattle into downtown fails every single one of those tests.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The bridge isn't just for going downtown. The closest it can get you is south of it or north of it.

You know what it also provides?

A direct way to get to Beacon Hill.
Access to I-5 nb/sb
Access to SoDo/Georgetown

E: took out unnecessary inflammatory words

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 15, 2020

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

E: I had a real spicy post locked and loaded before I saw this too.

E2: Suffice it to say that I think the amortized $50m a year or so that it's going to take financing, building, and maintaining this bridge connection so that we can continue to subsidize city-suburbs would be better spent on investments into West Seattle itself.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 15, 2020

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The bridge isn't just for going downtown. The closest it can get you is south of it or north of it.

Access to I-5 nb/sb

I would dearly love to see numbers on how many people are using that bridge to get to Georgetown.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

I would dearly love to see numbers on how many people are using that bridge to get to Georgetown.

I mean, it's a moot point given that currently no one is driving anywhere or doing anything indoors but my brother lives on Beacon Hill and our band's practice space is in Georgetown so, anecdotally speaking, at least me and the other dude in my band who live in west Seattle use it to do just that.

Also, going to beacon hill used to take 15 minutes and now it can be more like 40-50 minutes depending on any number of factors. It's a huge bummer.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Access to I-5 nb/sb

I'd first like to add that the next most-northerly crossing of the Duwamish- the 1st Avenue South bridge- is currently being emergency repaired that would also be a place to spend the bridge repair money from car tabs.

Second, the current contractor selected to do the WSB repair is also the ones who are parking their cranes in the area to do the Light Rail crossing so I would not be surprised if there was an effort to combine those two projects somehow.

Also. Georgetown has the OG Katsu Burger so like way more people go to it than you'd think.

Also Also the 4th Ave Costco.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

loving finally a couple of weeks late and 50% of what’s necessary.
I was really hoping for a two week stay at home order followed by the rollback that he did but this is better than nothing (though the usual people will still cry about any action at all).

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

If all the "good" reasons to retain a car bridge at the location of the West Seattle bridge are for discretionary, non-commute, off-peak trips, is there any reason to rebuild it as-is vs a low two-lane bascule bridge or similar?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Oh I also use it to commute to work because I work at Boeing Field (as do a shitload of Boeing employees who live in WS) but, yes, focus on the burgers and band practice as the main uses.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oh I also use it to commute to work because I work at Boeing Field (as do a shitload of Boeing employees who live in WS) but, yes, focus on the burgers and band practice as the main uses.

Publicly incentivizing commute traffic is bad, so.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, you're right, what we really need to do is spend more public money on subsidizing Boeing. They've really gotten the short end of the stick.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, you're right, what we really need to do is spend more public money on subsidizing Boeing. They've really gotten the short end of the stick.

This is actually making the short term "repair" option more attractive because we won't need the capacity anymore after Boeing fucks off completely.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Sure, no one uses it, except for it being the busiest stretch of road managed by the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Machine House Brewing is absolutely essential.