Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Combat Theory posted:

Not sure if serious but please don't do that either if you like your car. Put it in neutral and release the clutch.

Same for turning off the bike as well. Please don't turn off your bike during a traffic stop. Especially not if it's so hot the fan comes on.

By the way this is all written in every vehicle owner's manual

yeah but also motorcyclists should keep their bike in gear with the clutch pulled for safety reasons. but I’m sure the like, 4 fellow riders in here already know this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Combat Theory posted:

Not sure if serious but please don't do that either if you like your car. Put it in neutral and release the clutch.

Same for turning off the bike as well. Please don't turn off your bike during a traffic stop. Especially not if it's so hot the fan comes on.

Nah mate, been doing it for years it'll be fine. It's actually good for the clutch it allows it to cool down a bit you know

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Started :vomarine:ing after the intro.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

source

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
start/stop is good but only if you have a serious motor behind it, and then you need a big battery to supply that and oh woops we invented the hybrid

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

quote:

He’s on a mission to prove the coronavirus fatality rate is greatly overstated. To dig tunnels underground to alleviate the fatuous cycle of traffic jams. To save journalism. To mitigate the effects of climate change. To transport people in earthbound rockets from one continent to the next in mere minutes. To inhabit other planets before the sun explodes and turns our oceans into boiling vats of water, our skies into steam-filled death, our lands into carbon crusts of darkness. He’s on a mission to inhabit other star systems. All of these missions are completely possible in the realm of physics and science, especially with Elon Musk’s brain working to solve these problems.

this is bad and you should feel bad for posting it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

it gets more critical of him the farther you go but it does start off enthusiastically gargling his nutsack.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

out of all that vomit, i think the worst is "to inhabit other planets before the sun explodes..."

oh i dunno, i'm just a 5 figgie prole, maybe those assets would be better spent saving this plenet before the sun implodes a trillion years from now?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Combat Theory posted:

Counterpoint: it does not say that in the manual or in the manual of any of my previous bikes, and is also fine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

turning the bike/car engine off when you're stuck in traffic and it's so hot the fan is coming on is a bad idea because it shuts off the water pump and allows heat to build up in the engine. you need the coolant to actually circulate for it to have any effect.

if your bike is air cooled then yeah go ahead and shut down. or just split lanes to keep the air moving.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

someone on twitter pointed out that a british steam engine in the 1930s went faster that the virgin hyperpoop. lol

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

knox_harrington posted:

Counterpoint: it does not say that in the manual or in the manual of any of my previous bikes, and is also fine.

spankmeister posted:

Nah mate, been doing it for years it'll be fine. It's actually good for the clutch it allows it to cool down a bit you know

To avoid confusion
Bike clutch is not car clutch and bike manuals can be quite a bit more focused on safety than wear prevention.

For the car: your clutch is not getting hot in traffic if you drive reasonable. If it does get hot, closing the clutch will press it against the relatively cold flywheel. Several Kg of steel with significant surface contact will cool your friction compounds much better than the hot air in the bell housing.
Also the problem is not the friction compound but the release bearing that releases the force of the clutch spring. The bearing is not cooled and highly stressed when you press the clutch. Modern clutch release bearings will always rotate with the clutch but they bear no load if the clutch is closed (foot is off the clutch) and the friction plate is in contact with the flywheel. Therefore the bearing is not wearing or warming up significantly when the clutch is closed. If you step on the clutch and open it, the quite significant force to open the clutch against it's pressure spring is resting on the release bearing.
Bearing lifetime is proportional to the third power of the relative bearing load: L=(c/p)^3 with C being the dynamic capacity of the bearing and p being the equivalent load of the bearing (what you drive up when you step on the clutch)
This is the same for the motorcycle too. Your multi plate clutch is held under pressure by a spring loaded plate. The release mechanism pushes or pulls that rotating plate off the clutch pack and between the stationary mechanism and the rotating plate is...a release bearing of some sort.... Which wears just like a cars release bearing. It's just easier to access.

Additionally for a car, the release force acting upon the clutch spring is bearing on the crankshaft and therefore the axial crankshaft bearing. The axial bearing does not run in fully hydrodynamic friction because that would require significantly more oil flow. Therefore the axial bearing will see significantly higher wear if you keep the clutch pressed for long durations with a running engine. It will also wear faster if you start the car while pressing the clutch. This is where the owner's manual (which says you should start the car with the clutch pressed) is not focusing on wear but safety and "surefire" because the open clutch means the starter doesn't have to crank the gearbox. The later part is only a problem though if you start in cold climate on a weak battery. Generally the best way to start an engine is in neutral with the foot of the clutch. And the best advice is to only touch the clutch if you change gears or want to accelerate from a stand still.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 13, 2020

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The start stop on my vw golf is pretty smooth, and there's anti-idling rules around me (not that anyone enforces them which is stupid because they make poo poo loads in fines just by hanging around the nearby train crossing) so it's probably a good idea. Next car will be a hybrid or battery ev though.

it's smoother than the electric handbrake which is pretty jerky because you can't ease it off like you would with a normal handbrake, the auto hold brake is better but it makes you super lazy so if you accidentally turn it off which is v. Easy to do you'll be like "Oh poo poo why am I rolling backwards? Oh right, brakes"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Roosevelt posted:

reads like sarcasm to me :shrug:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

the electric handbrake
lmao it never stops.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

lmao it never stops.

Honestly yeah this was a problem that didn't need solving but I think all recent VWs have it. Maybe not the Polo idk.

First time I used one it was in a hire car and I nearly crashed it trying to get out the parking garage ramp because I didn't realise it disengaged automatically and thought you had to manually flip it and jump from footbrake (it won't disengage manually if you don't have the footbrake on) to accelerator and hop the clutch all at the same time.

Idk what the gently caress you're supposed to do if the mechanism breaks. Park in gear and pray I guess.

(borat voice) ~~my wife~~ needs to learn to drive at some point and I was like "yeah you do not want to learn in a car with all this electric poo poo"

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 13, 2020

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I learned in an absolute piece of poo poo Ford fiesta with a manual choke and leaded petrol in tyool 2001. The car was older than me but after a solid hour going up and down hills on the clutch under my dad's instruction it gave me really good clutch control.

my instructor's car was a diesel so you got really bad habits because you could just move off on the clutch with no real accelerator as it had more torque.

Thought about getting an automatic to make it easier for my wife to learn but you gotta get the basics imho

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

at red lights I just stop pedalling

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
elon is sick so we get to hear more of his covid hot takes

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1327125840040169472

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nfcknblvbl posted:

yeah but also motorcyclists should keep their bike in gear with the clutch pulled for safety reasons. but I’m sure the like, 4 fellow riders in here already know this

in the uk you're specifically trained to go into neutral when stopped at lights (and if the examiner is a particular dickhead you can even fail your test if you don't)

the thinking is in the event of being rear-ended, or a failure of the clutch cable, you really don't want to be propelled into the junction with the bike in gear. now that's probably bollocks for a dozen different reasons, but this american thing of "if i'm in gear i can simply ride away if anything bad happens" is just as dumb. the most-stated reason, that you can avoid being rear-ended by riding forwards, is particularly hilarious because it relies on you having perfect awareness of the speed and braking distance of a car approaching from behind *and* of what's happening in the junction ahead, so you don't just wheelie straight into the side of a lorry because a car coming up behind you is going 2mph quicker than you're happy with.

fwiw i always put my bike in neutral at lights because i'm used to italian bikes with pain-position clutch pulls and riding positions where you take every possible opportunity to straighten up and stretch a bit, and the habit has stuck.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

getting rear ended in a high speed wont' do dick in any case.

making it a habit to stop at a light with your left foot down and right foot covering your rear brake is best in slow speed rear end collisions for a couple reasons

1 - holding your front brake will mean your bike will tuck your grip on the bars dragging you down to fall for a possible second collision
2 - no brakes held means you get pushed into cross traffic, holding your rear brake will also keep you upright

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

If you think you can actually neutral a standing bike with ease you haven't tried Italian cassette gearboxes yet. If I don't get the MV Agusta into neutral before I come to a full stop, i can write off any wrist relaxation.

But yeah I have the bike in neutral long before I come to a full stop and have both feet free. The thing about the front brake is yo ushould not use it to come to a stop at slow speed, you can absolutely hold the bike on a slope with it though until you have the right foot free to operate the rear again.

Honestly thinking about what brake does what when it comes to being pushed into traffic in a rear end collision is just not worth it. If you have these kinds of safety concerns just dont get on a bike because the chances of a collision happening just the way you intend are about as big as spotting a harley rider in proper gear.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 13, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

yo car look like a dyson

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yo car look like a dyson

that's because if you're in one, you gonna die son

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Combat Theory posted:

To avoid confusion
Bike clutch is not car clutch and bike manuals can be quite a bit more focused on safety than wear prevention.

For the car: your clutch is not getting hot in traffic if you drive reasonable. If it does get hot, closing the clutch will press it against the relatively cold flywheel. Several Kg of steel with significant surface contact will cool your friction compounds much better than the hot air in the bell housing.
Also the problem is not the friction compound but the release bearing that releases the force of the clutch spring. The bearing is not cooled and highly stressed when you press the clutch. Modern clutch release bearings will always rotate with the clutch but they bear no load if the clutch is closed (foot is off the clutch) and the friction plate is in contact with the flywheel. Therefore the bearing is not wearing or warming up significantly when the clutch is closed. If you step on the clutch and open it, the quite significant force to open the clutch against it's pressure spring is resting on the release bearing.
Bearing lifetime is proportional to the third power of the relative bearing load: L=(c/p)^3 with C being the dynamic capacity of the bearing and p being the equivalent load of the bearing (what you drive up when you step on the clutch)
This is the same for the motorcycle too. Your multi plate clutch is held under pressure by a spring loaded plate. The release mechanism pushes or pulls that rotating plate off the clutch pack and between the stationary mechanism and the rotating plate is...a release bearing of some sort.... Which wears just like a cars release bearing. It's just easier to access.

Additionally for a car, the release force acting upon the clutch spring is bearing on the crankshaft and therefore the axial crankshaft bearing. The axial bearing does not run in fully hydrodynamic friction because that would require significantly more oil flow. Therefore the axial bearing will see significantly higher wear if you keep the clutch pressed for long durations with a running engine. It will also wear faster if you start the car while pressing the clutch. This is where the owner's manual (which says you should start the car with the clutch pressed) is not focusing on wear but safety and "surefire" because the open clutch means the starter doesn't have to crank the gearbox. The later part is only a problem though if you start in cold climate on a weak battery. Generally the best way to start an engine is in neutral with the foot of the clutch. And the best advice is to only touch the clutch if you change gears or want to accelerate from a stand still.

lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yo car look like a dyson

and it sucks like one too

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I think dyson were making a car weren't they? a friend used to work for them and said it was a cluster gently caress, like they hired a load of experts and assigned them all to do parts of it they weren't actually expert on

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
broke: holding clutch in while you're in first at a light
woke: shifting into neutral and doing the flappy hand thing to stretch your left out
bespoke: shifting into neutral, putting the kickstand down, running across the crosswalk, hitting the crosswalk button, running back to the bike, hopping on, flipping up the kickstand, and going because now that the light at this stupid rear end intersection is green you can go

i hate dead inductive sensors SO much

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in some states it's legal to run the red if your motorcycle isn't triggering the sensor and there's nobody coming.

the chance of a police officer knowing this law approaches zero but you're white so

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
in maine we have sensors that dont trigger for cars in the winter and people run the lights all the time after waiting minutes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

in some states it's legal to run the red if your motorcycle isn't triggering the sensor and there's nobody coming.

the chance of a police officer knowing this law approaches zero but you're white so

120 seconds or two full light cycles, whichever is longer, in CO. Still doesn't help when it's rush hour, i'm not running that red.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I hope he doesn't die

I hope he gets severe complications and feels like poo poo the rest of his life

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Carthag Tuek posted:

I hope he doesn't die

I look at the side effects of long haul covid--mental illness, shortness of breath, brain fog--and I wonder if he's had covid his entire life

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i hope cardiovascular and lung complications keep him from going into space, denying him his childhood dream

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

I hope he doesn't die

I hope he doesn't die from covid but I hope he has to be put on a ventilator and somehow the only ones left are the ones 'made' by Tesla. After that let "safety third" run it's course.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I hope all of those things too.

Together, we hope

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Eeyo posted:

i hope cardiovascular and lung complications keep him from going into space, denying him his childhood dream
Having flashbacks to Prometheus here

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm gonna get a honda trail in the spring and that thing will never trigger any red light sensors

also it doesn't have a clutch so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Endless Mike posted:

i'm gonna get a honda trail in the spring and that thing will never trigger any red light sensors

also it doesn't have a clutch so

those are basically same guts as a super cub right?