Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

loving hell the chocolate/chili fudge is a menace

I did warn you!

Edit: A shameful snipe!

The HTTP 403 is a HTTP status code meaning access to the requested resource is forbidden for some reason. The server understood the request, but will not fulfill it due to client-related issues.

Camrath fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Call me an optimist, but I think it might be possible to manage a pandemic without mass surveillance

e: & call me a cynic, but I don't think the former is typically the real motivation for the latter

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Turns out we were all wrong about 2020 and it is in fact the best year since 1998

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Okay, politics can get in the bin, Scotland are going to the Euros for the first time since 1996, & an international tournament for the first time since 1998 & for a few hours the world seems good.

2020 best year

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
well, which pandemic

with an outbreak like SARS or MERS, you'd definitely want to take the gloves off and guarantee that every possibly infected individual is identified and their contacts are all known and locked into isolation (enforced punitively to obtain high compliance, right down to e.g. a 24-hour guard outside houses to make sure infected contacts really stay in isolation). It's expensive, it's intrusive, did I mention it's expensive?, but it's absolutely justified. Also, you'd be tracing like a few thousand people at most, anyway. These are the scenarios where having roving public health teams pick through every CCTV and mobile phone geolocation record they can get their hands on makes sense.

Scaling it up to match covid-19 is where the "mass" comes in. Unlike SARS, the initial stages of infection are not sufficiently obvious - so the superspreader cluster explosions will keep happening, especially as international borders remain porous. Conversely, the intensity of response to identified cases has to be scaled way back. The SARS model of a largely as-normal situation for most people, with an intense but small reaction infrastructure to identify and isolate clusters, can't be sustained. It has to be largely passive measures.

Hence public health policies moving toward 1) mass low-cost behaviour modification of some kind, to reduce the frequency of outbreaks - mass masks, etc. 2) some way to reduce the cost of managing clusters or waves or clusters, even in an environment where compliance is shoddy

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Okay, politics can get in the bin, Scotland are going to the Euros for the first time since 1996, & an international tournament for the first time since 1998 & for a few hours the world seems good.

:hfive:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Ya dancer

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

2020 best year

Nice.

Ireland just got smashed by England in a meaningless friendly lol

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Twenty two loving years. I was 14. Almost can't believe it.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Cummings is going as a Christmas present:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54925322

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

forkboy84 posted:

2020 best year

LMBO Scotland will be playing England in the group portion

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Football's being sent home.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

Cummings is going as a Christmas present:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54925322

Bailing before he has to take any responsibility for brexit more like.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

https://twitter.com/nicolasturgeon/status/1327014252289339396?s=21

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Borrovan posted:

Tory voters these days have been conditioned to the religion of Hard Choices, they'll look at all the people dying & think how brave & strong our gov't are for letting so many people die, because there's no way you'd make a choice that hard if it wasn't much better in the long run. Because of the economy, you see. The harder the choice, the better the outcome.

When the economy gets worse regardless, it's because we didn't kill enough people. & don't look at all those other countries that didn't let people die & their economies are better than ours, those people are foreign, I didn't see it so it doesn't count

Until 2017 this was always the big hypothetical hope, was that working class Tory voters are split into two drives one of which is actually extremely communitarian minded, that "it would be nice for me to have nice things, but for the wider good of the nation/community I must do without" could potentially be radicalised with 'mate you and your kids really can have nice things, it's not illegal or immoral or dangerous, it's these rich cunts taking your money stopping that' and luckily 2017 proved that process can happen, people just need to be told it's allowed. Unfortunately and more to your point the second drive is wages of whiteness poo poo, it's 'I may be suffering but hosed if I'll let Ahmed and his kids or those scroungers on the dole get a loving penny, I'm on rung 10 of the ladder and I will not be having people on rung 11 be getting uppity'.

Comrade Fakename posted:

This is USPOL, but since there has been some defence for Glenn Greenwald in the past in this thread too:

https://mobile.twitter.com/themattdimitri/status/1325078028678881287

https://twitter.com/themattdimitri/status/1325109463536214017?s=20

Went and listened to the show, charitably assuming it might not be the case, but yeah you and the twitter knobhead you're quoting are just lying. The discussion was explicitly about the Post-Trump Republican strategy and that clip was describing what could have objectively been a winning hypothetical position, going on to point out that it won't happen because GOPers sometimes talk populism but will never actually hurt the monieyed to help the working class. Glenn isn't "lamenting Steve Bannons plan" that's just objectively not what was being said, that Twitter user is lying to you.

The second and third clips aren't ripped to be so deliberately misleading but whatever, Glenn is wrong to say that Trump didn't court white ethnonationalists, he's right to say it wasn't a defining element of his success or policy goals the way lyin' fake news media present it being. Glenn is a provocative land of contrasts, much like my geography lessons said about Brazil, where coincidentally he's been actively fighting Bolsonaro and done more to stop the spread of fascism than any of us have.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

ronya posted:

well, which pandemic

I remember seeing something during the summer, suggesting that some African countries - particularly those that deal with Ebola regularly - were dealing with covid-19 really well.
And a lot of that was because their health departments had really well-established procedures for track-and-trace.
Which makes sense - you really loving need that if you're dealing with something as nasty as Ebola.

The same article also said that they were basically making respirators for $60 or so, which is cool if true and casts an even more pathetic shade on the sort of bloat you get with billion-pound contracts in more developed countries.

One of the arguments against what Boris & Co did is that - if they'd been proactive - they could have put stringent measures in place because the spread wouldn't have been as bad. Catch it early, have a really close eye on people coming into the country, and you can afford to have a few hundred people on 'house arrest' duty because you're only dealing with a small number of people at any given time.
But Boris either didn't give a poo poo, or didn't take it seriously; so that sort of containment was ruled out almost immediately.

On a related note, one of the biggest failings of the pandemic in this country is that while some parts of the media have spent lots of time talking about the impact of covid-19 on the NHS, it's quite possible that you could have been watching the news diligently since mid-March and not really had an idea of what that impact looks like. And a large part of that is because the NHS has just about managed to cope. There haven't been any scenes of mass graves, or lines of ambulances full of body bags.
For most people, the biggest impact to the NHS is that their rheumatology appointment was cancelled, or that when granny fell and smashed her hip to splinters, they couldn't go and visit her in hospital.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Private Speech posted:

Doesn't matter tbh, we can worry about getting out of the groups another time, today just qualifying is enough.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Lungboy posted:

What the loving gently caress is this new level of bullshit?

https://twitter.com/malihaeza/status/1326947520979857416?s=19

old etonian and former marxist david goodhart is the person who wrote after the referendum about the 'somewheres' (cf. citizens of nowhere) and no.10 will be leaning on him even more now cummings is off

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vitamin P posted:

but yeah you and the twitter knobhead you're quoting are just lying.

This has pretty much been the case every time Comrade Fakename has talked about Greenwald for years

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

SpicePro posted:

(not a photoshop afaik)

Didn't realise league of gentlemen was back on.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Private Speech posted:

Lol if emptying you lot out of the groups is finally what torpedos this piss poor excuse for a Government.

Don't mind the current England crop though and Rashford Vs O'Donnell gives me the absolute fear.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 13, 2020

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Sleep easy, sweet prince of hammers. Only the good die young.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Peter William Sutcliffe teaches us the valuable life lesson that if one wishes to be remembered well, when the voice of God calls to murder, one should seek public office on a centrist platform first.

lol jk I won't remember Blair well either.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
https://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/news/lorry-driver-jailed-for-trying-to-smuggle-migrants-out-of-the-uk

quote:

Lorry driver jailed for trying to smuggle migrants out of the UK

Please make up your mind UK, do you want immigrants or not?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vitamin P posted:

Went and listened to the show, charitably assuming it might not be the case, but yeah you and the twitter knobhead you're quoting are just lying.

Lol, thanks for doing the research on this - I thought was weird stuff for Greenwald of all people to say.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Necrothatcher posted:

Lol, thanks for doing the research on this - I thought was weird stuff for Greenwald of all people to say.

he makes people so mad they're forced to massively distort or outright lie about him to make him look bad. just mock his bad takes when he has them lol

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

I still don't understand what exactly Greenwald did wrong wrt: the emails. There was definitely an attempt to paint any reference to them at all as being part of a wingnut conspiracy. Here's his take on it for those who haven't read it.
https://greenwald.substack.com/p/my-resignation-from-the-intercept

Personally I find it quite persuasive. Yeah it sucks that he's buddy buddy with Hungry Man Dinners Scion Tucker Carlson, but they do agree on some important points, and as has been pointed out, he does have credentials that the Gwen Snyders of the world resent.

e: he does have a lot of lovely takes though

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Liberalism one step from fascism confirmed

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Olpainless posted:

Liberalism one step from fascism confirmed

What makes it particularly hilarious is the Jo Swinson thing is Lib Dems *still* salty that Nicola Sturgeon celebrated Swinson losing her seat - lots of variations on the theme of "Oh so you celebrate the end of the career of a young woman in politics, do you?"

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What makes it particularly hilarious is the Jo Swinson thing is Lib Dems *still* salty that Nicola Sturgeon celebrated Swinson losing her seat - lots of variations on the theme of "Oh so you celebrate the end of the career of a young woman in politics, do you?"

I know, it's an amazing sight and some of the finest bullshit hand-wringing - especially as it's just a repost of Sturgeon's well-deserved cheer in response to some football thing?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Even funnier that she lost her seat to a younger woman.

EDIT

https://twitter.com/StreathamRovers/status/1327187787368554496

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Nov 13, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Every time I hear about Jo! I just imagine the bus hatch opening and closing while Shut Your loving Face Uncle Fucka plays.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
There's a lot to question about that picture but I'm fascinated by the arm holding on to the cameraman.

Is it to stop him getting too close?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Every time I hear about Jo! I just imagine the bus hatch opening and closing while Shut Your loving Face Uncle Fucka plays.

look at her dead eyes, there's nothing behind, like a sharks

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sharks, unlike Lib Dems, are cool and good.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

peanut- posted:

There's a lot to question about that picture but I'm fascinated by the arm holding on to the cameraman.

i believe it is the fashion these days with the youths, having a false forearm there

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

You might start thinking there's something to this master-manipulator thing, when you see that all it takes is Cummings suggesting he'll leave immediately before the Brexit deadline to have the centrists out in force demanding he remain in position.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

peanut- posted:

has anyone considered that jo swinson is responsible for covid19 and they knew back then and it was to make sure he kept his distance?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The thing that I remember about Jo Swindon is her looking with smug condescension at a guy who brought up the horrible poo poo that Austerity did to Glasgow. All Lib Dems are just tories who don't have the honesty to hate you to your face.

https://twitter.com/iainjwatson/status/1327181501176360961

Looks like the Labour right didn't get the results they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Jovid-19.