Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

There's very good money to be made in the noble war and imo you don't want to miss it. The gear you get sells well and if you take contracts for support in a big battle you'll also get solid pay. You should be able to do those with 9 strong bros but 12 would be better because a few of the events involved can pit you against larger groups. The actual big battles are fairly easy since you have a lot of "ablative armor". Just let the AI take the lead and get hit for the first few turns and then identify where your guys need to go to decide the fight. There's also a chance to see champion knights and the noble leader also always has good gear. If you don't really want to do contracts you can still make money though. Support one faction just enough so that another turns hostile to you. Then roam their lands and gank their small patrols over and over. Relation hits don't matter because a hostile house will go back up to "cold" towards you once the crisis ends

800peepee51doodoo posted:

That said, if you're only at 9 bros by the time the first crisis is going, you might not be scaling up enough to take on a lot of the contracts unless you're doing something like a lone wolf or gladiator run and prioritizing leveling ultra strong bros.
Agreed

Also, redreader, if your group of nine does not have at least two strong archers then you're going to miss those sorely. Archers are very good against the backline troops of noble houses and those also deal the most damage to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Noble War battles are hard set for roughly 30 v 30 (give or take depending on prior event outcomes). I'm running an 18 company mod and we don't have 40 people on our side, still 30 v 30 with my forces making the bulk. I'm unsure if this stays the same if your company is understrength, but with the way this game balances I would assume more noble troops are added to even things out.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks, I didn't know that. I've been in two noble war end battles and one was 22 or so (me) vs 30 and the other was more even.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Noble war sucks because sometimes your side gets 6 dogs and the other side gets extra hedge knights.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

There is no problem in Battle brothers or life that can't be solved by the correct application of Billmen.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

dogstile posted:

Noble war sucks because sometimes your side gets 6 dogs and the other side gets extra hedge knights.

This means less killstealing by your "allies" and more Julius ceasaring by your men at the end of the battle!

The Holy War Crisis has started up, I'm going to support the northerners this time. Any hints on how to take southern armies?

Judging from other posts it really isn't a good idea because the loot sucks and theyre a bastard to deal with, but it is moreso I have "the experience" to try it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Southpaugh posted:

There is no problem in Battle brothers or life that can't be solved by the correct application of Billmen.

Billmen are genuinely your key threat in Noble War fights. Thankfully they also have poo poo armor and morale.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

They really hate getting shot, especially when they are supporting a hard target like a Knight or Sergeant. They melt away behind them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm really tempted to do an "all reach advantage footwork pikeman/polehammer/whatever" run into a noble war just to see how it does against that because you're right, its only the billmen that are a problem. You also get the advantage of putting as much damage as you want onto any target you can see.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

dogstile posted:

I'm really tempted to do an "all reach advantage footwork pikeman/polehammer/whatever" run into a noble war just to see how it does against that because you're right, its only the billmen that are a problem. You also get the advantage of putting as much damage as you want onto any target you can see.

12 gladiators with warscythes.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Donkringel posted:

This means less killstealing by your "allies"
Tfw you're trying to kill a noble or knight and some rando with a pike gets the last hit......

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

vyelkin posted:

12 gladiators with warscythes.

If there's any weapon that > everything else, that's probably it. Might miss some ranged for getting the enemy to approach, but doubt it will be a problem. I have a ~40 MDef swordlancer in full plate, and he just stands there and kills. Also has a 2H nerfmace in the backpocket that helps with the chosen, so there is that.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I'm sure most BB vets already know this but FYI in case you don't - for any fights with allies, whether its noble war or caravan guarding or whatever, you can leave openings in your line in the prep/inventory screen and the game will put allies in the open positions when the fight starts. This can be really useful if it looks like its going to be a hard fight and you want the AI allies to tank hits for you.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I'm sure most BB vets already know this but FYI in case you don't - for any fights with allies, whether its noble war or caravan guarding or whatever, you can leave openings in your line in the prep/inventory screen and the game will put allies in the open positions when the fight starts. This can be really useful if it looks like its going to be a hard fight and you want the AI allies to tank hits for you.

This is actually very good advice. I started doing it by trying to put as much of my guys in the back as possible, but it works out exactly like this when I think about it.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
You can also start in the back with the intent to wheel out to the side of the main furball. You will generally have a lot more freedom of movement off to side and can roll up to the enemy backline and archers a lot faster.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

What's the stance on bone plating vs fur padding when fighting chosen camps? So far I'm using bone to hopefully absorb the first 2h hit but I'm feeling like padding might be better since it increases the time that your bros can hold in a dangerous spot after taking a hit or two. I don't have a second set of 300 armors for my company yet so I couldn't investigate this myself

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Tin Tim posted:

What's the stance on bone plating vs fur padding when fighting chosen camps? So far I'm using bone to hopefully absorb the first 2h hit but I'm feeling like padding might be better since it increases the time that your bros can hold in a dangerous spot after taking a hit or two. I don't have a second set of 300 armors for my company yet so I couldn't investigate this myself

I think fur padding is pretty much the gold standard for anyone wearing heavy armour, while bone plating is the same for anyone wearing light armour; although occasionally you might want hyena for the initiative ( a fencer for eg). Either way chosen camps became pretty trivial once I started making extensive use of fearsome/overwhelm - you don't get hit often and you end up with their morale collapsing pretty drat fast.

edit: fur padding can be a pain to grind out though unless you're disciplined about stockpiling direwolf pelts from day 1. Direwolves can be pretty hard to find late game especially with the newest expansion reducing their native habitat.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

What about fur padding versus the kraken10% one? It seems really specific

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I finally got a set of throwers with decent ratk and got some barbarian throwing weapons and I don't think I ever want to make a pure archer ever again. I got one archer/hybrid guy with high ratk (upper 90s) that I have use a bow at the opening and then switch over to javelins/axes unless there's a necromancer to snipe or something, and 2 other pure throwers. Once they into position and get spooled up it's ridiculous. The only people who put out more damage in a round are my axe guy (whom in this new campaign got ANOTHER 120 damage dane axe) and 2h cleaver bro.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

I typically exclude it on the basis that it requires you to kill a kraken and quite frankly gently caress that.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I finally got a set of throwers with decent ratk and got some barbarian throwing weapons and I don't think I ever want to make a pure archer ever again. I got one archer/hybrid guy with high ratk (upper 90s) that I have use a bow at the opening and then switch over to javelins/axes unless there's a necromancer to snipe or something, and 2 other pure throwers. Once they into position and get spooled up it's ridiculous. The only people who put out more damage in a round are my axe guy (whom in this new campaign got ANOTHER 120 damage dane axe) and 2h cleaver bro.

I’m increasingly of the same opinion. I think the only time I’d hire seperate throwers and archers is when I play peasants; since I can have more people on the field at a time; and it’s harder to find hires that can get over 90 rATK - with the accuracy bonuses throwers get at close range I’m comfortable with 80+ rATK for them; at least in a peasant company.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Lord Bude posted:

I typically exclude it on the basis that it requires you to kill a kraken and quite frankly gently caress that.

I've never agreed with a post more than this one.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

The Lord Bude posted:

I’m increasingly of the same opinion. I think the only time I’d hire seperate throwers and archers is when I play peasants; since I can have more people on the field at a time; and it’s harder to find hires that can get over 90 rATK - with the accuracy bonuses throwers get at close range I’m comfortable with 80+ rATK for them; at least in a peasant company.
It owns when you're just doing raider/nomad/non-chosen barb cleanup and your throwers get fully spooled up and just start two-shotting people regardless if they're hitting headshots or not.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Literally the only problem with having multiple throwers is that you chew through ammo really fast. They're incredible.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

It owns when you're just doing raider/nomad/non-chosen barb cleanup and your throwers get fully spooled up and just start two-shotting people regardless if they're hitting headshots or not.
Pls share a perk tree for those and what weapons you use tia

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Tin Tim posted:

Pls share a perk tree for those and what weapons you use tia
https://tumult.cc/bb-calc.html?1-8&2-8&4-12&1-9&6-3&7-3&6-1&7-2&1-5&2-7

Not fully filled out- I'm not a gigantic brainlord so I'm not sure how the math works out but the remaining perks could be crippling strikes/executioner or whatever. I usually take footwork or rotate since throwers operate at closer range and thus tend to get in more trouble if you are bad at strategy like I am.

I don't have any famed throwing weapons though- Heavy Throwing Javelins and Heavy Axes. I have no good advice for getting barb throwing weapons because you have to get a barb fight where they have them equipped and kill them before they run out or base someone up and switch to their melee weapon.

e: I legit have not paid any attention while playing; I haven't noticed a notable difference in injury rates for thrown weapons over most melee weapons? Does crippling strikes+executioner work well?

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 13, 2020

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Scaramouche posted:

The Lord Bude posted:

Does the math work out though? Kraken plating>everything else?

Also:
I've been making up a goblin slayer alternative for my Battleforged swordbro, building up to the Goblin City battle. 30 RDef shield and low base RDef makes just about every goblin shoot at him. Bit of a meme thing but with the fancy Kraken lightning sword it's a very fun meme :v: The question though is: Does the Unhold fur padding help against punctures? If not I may use the cloak for more meme, but staving off the 5% puncture injuries would be great.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

Does the math work out though? Kraken plating>everything else?

Also:
I've been making up a goblin slayer alternative for my Battleforged swordbro, building up to the Goblin City battle. 30 RDef shield and low base RDef makes just about every goblin shoot at him. Bit of a meme thing but with the fancy Kraken lightning sword it's a very fun meme :v: The question though is: Does the Unhold fur padding help against punctures? If not I may use the cloak for more meme, but staving off the 5% puncture injuries would be great.

Math seems good for it. Only enemies that will be puncturing will only have daggers(15-35) or notched blades(20-30), so you are looking at (10-23) or (13-20) damage from successful punctures.

Not sure on the exact specifics but I think that would be enough to avoid the more serious(50%) injuries and only recieve the 25% injuries, which are annoying but do not put a bro into immediate danger for follow-up attacks.

Speaking of blades, are there any enemies that drop rondel daggers? I can't think of any at all, it's part of why I always by a rondel daggers at cities gold permitting.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thx I'm now seeing the difference between my build and this. I'm building archers that switch to thrower against chosen camps by having throwing spec and duelist. It's probably time to try a pure build instead

Fabricated posted:

I have no good advice for getting barb throwing weapons because you have to get a barb fight where they have them equipped and kill them before they run out or base someone up and switch to their melee weapon.
Just grind some barb patrols/camps and you'll get them. Also yeah get in melee with their throwers asap to speed up the process

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 13, 2020

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Donkringel posted:

Math seems good for it. Only enemies that will be puncturing will only have daggers(15-35) or notched blades(20-30), so you are looking at (10-23) or (13-20) damage from successful punctures.

Not sure on the exact specifics but I think that would be enough to avoid the more serious(50%) injuries and only recieve the 25% injuries, which are annoying but do not put a bro into immediate danger for follow-up attacks.

Speaking of blades, are there any enemies that drop rondel daggers? I can't think of any at all, it's part of why I always by a rondel daggers at cities gold permitting.

Punctures yes. But there's a good amount of through armour damage, especially with chosen and the like. Though if it reduces punctures, that's interesting. Pretty much says it in the description, but descriptions are not always true :v: May have to look into the whole puncture thing. It's about the only thing that injures my guys these days. I do wish there was a mordhau option instead of shieldbreak for longswords.

Have never seen anyone drop rondels. But then I think it's whatever weapon the guy has out that gets dropped for the most part, and I have yet to see any AI farting about with a rondel. The assasins all have quatals i think.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The only enemy I've ever seen drop a high-tier non-qatal dagger was a necromancer champion with a unique, which would have stats based on the rondel. I've never seen a rondel in the field.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

vyelkin posted:

The only enemy I've ever seen drop a high-tier non-qatal dagger was a necromancer champion with a unique, which would have stats based on the rondel. I've never seen a rondel in the field.

I've seen Brigand Leader Champions drop named Rondels.

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe
Re: throwing build i like to use crossbow/thrower hybrids https://tumult.cc/bb-calc.html?1-9&1-8&1-5&2-7&4-12&4-10&5-2&6-1&6-3&7-3&7-2who follow battle line and just well, rip and tear they're amazingly effective. Crossbow mastery is really strong as it gives you good long and short range options though later the campaign more its gonna be all handgonnes. Needs some supporting rotatebros in case of inconvenient orc warrior/unhold getting in their face tho.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

germlin posted:

Re: throwing build i like to use crossbow/thrower hybrids https://tumult.cc/bb-calc.html?1-9&1-8&1-5&2-7&4-12&4-10&5-2&6-1&6-3&7-3&7-2who follow battle line and just well, rip and tear they're amazingly effective. Crossbow mastery is really strong as it gives you good long and short range options though later the campaign more its gonna be all handgonnes. Needs some supporting rotatebros in case of inconvenient orc warrior/unhold getting in their face tho.

I use pretty much the same build for my hybrid archers. Probably more versatile since you can employ handgonnes on demand, depending on the battle.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Thrower/whippers with quick hands works well. Throw once, do decent damage, switch and disarm someone else.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Thought I'd finally post some thoughts after a pretty good session.

I've got 293 hrs in the game now, and have always chosen random as the end game crisis, and before this one, had never played past one crisis. Because of that, I never ever had Noble War as the end game. It's pretty cool! I like the segmented nature of some of the missions. And that rolled into Holy War, which is also pretty cool! I fought against the south and had a pretty scary moment seeing two mortars but then realized they aren't that bad (I usually play unspoiled so didn't look up what they do). So to summarize despite 200 some hours before this, this go round was the first time:
- Noble War
- Holy War
- More than one end (Noble War -> Holy War -> Undead)
- Finding and using Qatar dagger
- Killing the Kraken
- Killing the Ijirok
- Doing an arena tournament (ifrits are buuuuuuullshit)
- Found not one but two legendary warscythes. They OP as fuuuuuuck.
- Running out of ambitions

I'm never doing the Kraken again, ever. But overall it was pretty neat, and just kind of combined old stuff I never found with new stuff from the DLC that was incredibly satisfying. Was a veteran/veteran with the Poachers start.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

New patch today. In addition to a few bugfixes, we have the following balance changes:

Changed Spear Mastery perk to also allow for activating the Spearwall skill when already adjacent to opponents.
Changed Living Tree Shield to regenerate 20 points of durability each turn, up from 4.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh that's really cool, those shields are already pretty good but that makes them even better.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That might make fighting schrats actually worthwhile.

In other news, I decided to give my joke post a try and have now built a lone wolf company of 10 polearm specialists armed with warscythes and swordlances and two throwers. It's obscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019
Finally started a Manhunter run. Man I had forgotten how finicky it is to get a weak company off the ground. Running with 7 guys now, in some semblance of clothing.

Here's the plan:

Indebted:.
I'm thinking fatigue neutral 2H mace/axe for the ones i can get over 80 MAtk when properly whipped.
Nimble Shieldbros with underdog, dodge and rotate to be able to stay alive for a few rounds. Take student on good ones to reach indomitable.
Not sure how much RAtk is needed for the Firelance to be practical, but I want to try some. Could be a thing for those odd ones with stars in RAtk and MDef. B&B and quickhands would be grand here, but perk starvation.

Whippers:
Swordlance/schythe fearsome builds as my main AOE.
Handgonne sergeant. Maybe one more handgonne if i should luck into 2 named guns, but haven't seen a single one so far. Perhaps also if i find a very good crossbow.
Bespoke builds for whatever awesome weapon I should happen to find. Unlikely to be many.
Will probably want a couple of archers.

The Lord Bude posted:

New patch today. In addition to a few bugfixes, we have the following balance changes:

Changed Spear Mastery perk to also allow for activating the Spearwall skill when already adjacent to opponents.
Changed Living Tree Shield to regenerate 20 points of durability each turn, up from 4.
Right! Spearwalling indebted is likely to be a mainstay for me then.

vyelkin posted:

In other news, I decided to give my joke post a try and have now built a lone wolf company of 10 polearm specialists armed with warscythes and swordlances and two throwers. It's obscene.
I have no doubt. Fearsome as well?

Edit:
Shrooms stack people. Just saw a video of a guy oneshotting the kraken high on like 20 shrooms. There's a thing for those that hate the fight :v:

TheBeardyCleaver fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 18, 2020