Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Here's the repeated reminder that there's been exactly one Klingon ship released over the past year. Even the lockbox boats have been fed-only disco stuff. Sure would be nice to add the new vor'cha and b'rel skins to all the other klank boats, huh? No? Okay. :confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asimo posted:

Here's the repeated reminder that there's been exactly one Klingon ship released over the past year. Even the lockbox boats have been fed-only disco stuff. Sure would be nice to add the new vor'cha and b'rel skins to all the other klank boats, huh? No? Okay. :confuoot:

Year of the 5% player population.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In the Year of Luigi, Nintendo at least mirrored Super Mario Bros to make Super Luigi Bros, so you ran right-to-left instead of left-to-right.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Asimo posted:

Remember how they've been promising Discovery Klingons ever since the show premiered? On the livestream a couple weeks ago Kael mentioned that CBS had given them permission to make Kelpians. So now it's possible they may add Fed fish people to the game before the Klingon addition they spent two years talking about.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Seriously thinking about grabbing one of those ARM MacBooks and just calling time on this game. The space combat is fun but the lack of respect is just palpable at this point.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I mean you don't got to play it if you don't want to. If it somehow hasn't died yet it probably isn't going away anytime soon.

Content releases, proofreading, and so on have definitely gone way down the past two or three years though. Having to rapidly reorient into Disco content (even if the staff wanted to) certainly didn't help any but there's been more than enough time to catch up, and while art and environments and all are as good as they've ever been it's definitely a bit sad to see like, what, two episodes a year? Not to mention the laser focus on Fed-only goodies that hasn't been helped by Disco. I guess as long as the gamble box money is still coming they don't really have to try as hard. I could do a big effort post on some of the huge mistakes they've done over the past decade but anyone here who'd read it already knows it all anyway so eh. :effort:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FuturePastNow posted:

Remember how they've been promising Discovery Klingons ever since the show premiered? On the livestream a couple weeks ago Kael mentioned that CBS had given them permission to make Kelpians. So now it's possible they may add Fed fish people to the game before the Klingon addition they spent two years talking about.

So long as they add the right costume bits for a "proper" X space whatever, it's always the correct option to play a Fed/KDF "alien" race so you get the best cosmetic options. Pretty or ugly it matters not.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

I mean you don't got to play it if you don't want to. If it somehow hasn't died yet it probably isn't going away anytime soon.

Content releases, proofreading, and so on have definitely gone way down the past two or three years though. Having to rapidly reorient into Disco content (even if the staff wanted to) certainly didn't help any but there's been more than enough time to catch up, and while art and environments and all are as good as they've ever been it's definitely a bit sad to see like, what, two episodes a year? Not to mention the laser focus on Fed-only goodies that hasn't been helped by Disco. I guess as long as the gamble box money is still coming they don't really have to try as hard. I could do a big effort post on some of the huge mistakes they've done over the past decade but anyone here who'd read it already knows it all anyway so eh. :effort:
I've heard the excuse that a lot of Cryptic's manpower has been moved over to their Magic: The Gathering game, leaving STO with minimal support. But based on the state of the mtg alpha, I think we might be better off without those people working on STO. It's real bad.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

looks like we have a 3 week break in November guys unless you really want that targ pet for playing one of the worst TFOs again: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11480683-it-is-very-cold...in-space

also this: https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/status/1323678738731601920

Teron D Amun fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 3, 2020

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Is this a 'no way to fail or to speed up, actually trying only gets you more marks' type of TFO?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Chortles posted:

Is this a 'no way to fail or to speed up, actually trying only gets you more marks' type of TFO?

I think you might actually have to try a little bit in this one, making it awful, because it's also long.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

For the most part it can be AFKed, but there is an annoying bit midway through where it insists that all the transports must leave the map. This isn't a problem if you don't shoot them (they will leave by themselves) but is annoying if a player disables one and then doesn't interact with it (ie: 'recapturing' it), as it will just sit there blocking progress.

It drags things out, as its difficult to spot when this happens, and then a pain to track the relevant transport down, and then a pain to wait for it to slowly trundle off the map.

This isn't a problem if nobody disables any transports at all, so is another case of a perfectly good AFKable queue being ruined by pubbies 'helping'.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

It's getting hot in here!

so take off all your clothes...

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 5, 2020

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....
It's hot because you're standing on a Space Stove.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11480853

year of the klingon!

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
My new theory is that at the end of the current house shattered storyline, the kdf will break up and all the klingon chars will join the feds. They'll unlock fed ships for kdf players, and then re-release the 10 ship legendary bundle, while heavily advertising that now your kdf characters can use it too.

This is tied in with my theory that cryptic devs feed themselves on the tears of kdf players.

On an unrelated note, I've discovered that my game crashes if I try to get a screenshot at /renderscale 6. But only after taking the screenshot. http://i.imgur.com/Y0h8Uts.jpg

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I want a Legendary T6 B'Rel Miracle Worker science destroyer with 5/1 seats.

My reasoning is gently caress you Cryptic, get bent.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

$120 for one ship? :lol:

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

$120 for one ship? :lol:
It's the same as the legendary t'liss bundle. Guess they've decided the $120 legendary ships are better for their bottom line than $60 legendary ships.

Which is odd, because I don't see many t'liss's, but I see mirror gal-x's all over the place.

Edit: Maybe they're doing the price based on what type of ship the non-legendary is. The t'liss is promo, the walker is lobi, and both packs are $120. Meanwhile the gal-x is z-store, and the legendary version is only $60.

g0del fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 9, 2020

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

g0del posted:

It's the same as the legendary t'liss bundle. Guess they've decided the $120 legendary ships are better for their bottom line than $60 legendary ships.

Which is odd, because I don't see many t'liss's, but I see mirror gal-x's all over the place.

Edit: Maybe they're doing the price based on what type of ship the non-legendary is. The t'liss is promo, the walker is lobi, and both packs are $120. Meanwhile the gal-x is z-store, and the legendary version is only $60.

they think the level 65 boost is worth 60 bucks

e: yeah, it probably is based on how the original T6 ship was sold

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 9, 2020

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Holy poo poo, for the first time since I started playing again this January, I actually saw another player with the same super rare title as me: Crash Test Tribble!

Finally!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Crash Test Tribble is one of those titles you kind of accidentally collected back in the day.

Oh my god it's been that long?

No :psyduck: won't do. Digging into the imgur archives.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Crash Test Tribble is one of those titles you kind of accidentally collected back in the day.

Oh my god it's been that long?

No :psyduck: won't do. Digging into the imgur archives.

Right? I had been using it forever since it's just the right amount of stupid and silly for my character and was wondering why I never saw anyone else using it, but had completely forgotten how I got it all those years ago. It wasn't an accident though, I definitely remember logging into the Tribble server specifically to get the title. Worth it.

STO Wiki posted:

Crash Test Tribble is a player title. It was awarded to players who participated in the first Tribble Test Weekend by copying their character(s) over to the Tribble Server and spent at least one hour on the test server.

The event ran between 14:00 Friday 19 March and 09:00 Monday 23 March 2010 (PST / GMT-8).

yeah, that would be why. it was only available for ~4 days in 2010, 3 months after launch. wear it with pride!

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 10, 2020

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also huh, loadouts are going to save your trait setup and equipment visibility "soon". That's actually pretty nice. :toot: Ground and space active rep skills are being separated into different categories too.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
So is pve still a matter of just collecting the same weapon and damage types or is there some end game for elite TFOs I should grind towards

Scutty
Mar 28, 2013

Proud Christian Mom posted:

So is pve still a matter of just collecting the same weapon and damage types or is there some end game for elite TFOs I should grind towards

Yes....but for all of your alts as well.
Now I’m depressed

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Sort of? Honestly, there's been enough powercreep that you can make successful builds in a lot of different ways. Beams (fire at will or overload), cannons, pure kinetic torpedo, sci magic (usually mixed with some torpedos). I've even heard people claiming to have high-dps minelayers, though I haven't tried that myself. I think it's a bit harder find an affordable build for newer players, though. Most of the builds people post online are stuffed full of lobi/lockbox/promo ships/traits/gear/doffs. And that's without getting into event items that often are completely unavailable for newer players.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Someone at Cryptic probably peed themselves with excitement at all the new lockbox and promo ships they can make off the new Discovery. Zero chance they do anything besides just lock the entire 31st century Federation behind gamble boxes.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 13, 2020

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it's been pretty obvious for years now that anything actually seen on screen is going to be in a slot machine box. I eagerly await whatever flimsy justification they do for throwing in 31st century content though.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

So this is my current setup, I know there’s better starship masteries out there (target rich environment is definitely my next purchase), but I’ve spent enough on this dumb game already. Any other suggestions are welcome though!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asimo posted:

Yeah it's been pretty obvious for years now that anything actually seen on screen is going to be in a slot machine box. I eagerly await whatever flimsy justification they do for throwing in 31st century content though.

Gonna have to pretend they didn't hear the bit on Discovery where the fuckery of the Temporal War of the 30th Century means that time travel is now universally a massive war crime and its use repudiated by Starfleet in the 31st.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 13, 2020

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Gonna have to pretend they didn't hear the bit on Discovery where the fuckery of the Temporal War of the 30th Century means that time travel is now universally a massive war crime and its use repudiated by Starfleet in the 31st.

Flimsy justifications are what lockboxes are FOR. Just dust off the old temporal lockbox blurb

quote:

Since the first known encounters with them, xenobiologists have supported theories suggesting that Tholians are far more different from other forms of intelligent life than even their strange outer appearances suggest. One of the cornerstones of these theories is the notion that the Tholian Assembly actually spans multiple dimensions in spacetime. These claims are supported by their frequent involvement with the so-called “Mirror Universe,” as well as their apparent interest in the Temporal Cold War, and time displaced artifacts. It is said that the Tholian homeworld inhabits a region of space where the borders between dimensions are unnaturally thin, and that they have developed technology that allows them to cross those borders at will.

Up until now, these leading theories have been unsupported by much in the way of facts, as infiltrating the Tholian Assembly proved to be an impossible task. Recent evidence of Tholian activity within the Burn, the Nukara System and the Azure Nebula has put nearly all remaining doubts to rest.

Within these areas, Tholian operatives have been utilizing multi-dimensional phasing technology to not only penetrate the borders between our spatial dimensions, but also the barriers of the space-time continuum itself. Their temporal incursions have resulted in the retrieval of technology, weapons, personnel and even entire starships, pulled from distant times and places.

Their temporal incursion technology is not perfect, however. Ripples from their activity have caused uncontrolled temporal anomalies to appear up to several hundred light years from their source. Harcourt Fenton Mudd and daredevil profiteers from the Lobi Crystal Consortium have set up an intricate supply chain dedicated to seeking out these uncontrolled ripple anomalies, and exploiting them to retrieve goods that they can then sell to the highest bidders. Both Starfleet and the Klingon Defense Force have an obvious interest in these valuable time-displaced artifacts, for it may be that the fate of time itself will be in the hands of the faction that controls them.

In this new Task Force Operation, Time To Burn, players are tasked by the 31st Century Federation to destroy as many Tholian ships, factories, and homes as possible, in order to prevent these temporally displaced objects from ending up in the wrong hands. Completing it 30 times over the next month will unlock the Enterprise-K, which is like the Enterprise-J but even worse looking.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

War crimes in STO aren't exactly new. From equipping Scimitars with Thalaron weapons, using banned Son'a Subspace weapons, shooting Voth medics/escape shuttles/city ships full of civilians, using Omega particles to upgrade our weapons, massacring Romulan civilian scientists on the orders of an obvious Undine imposter, to our wiping out whole civilizations like the Tuterians through temporal fuckery, etc.

To say nothing of the hundreds of thousands, if not millions of personnel each captain has killed - never shooting to disable or stun - only kill.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

See this is why I say the klingons/romulans suit an MMO a lot better than the feds. No worrying about little things like "civilians" or "sapient rights".

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Asimo posted:

See this is why I say the klingons/romulans suit an MMO a lot better than the feds. No worrying about little things like "civilians" or "sapient rights".

We were the Terrans all along.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tigey posted:

To say nothing of the hundreds of thousands, if not millions of personnel each captain has killed - never shooting to disable or stun - only kill.
Let's be fair, if there's an actual evil NPC, with voice lines and everything, then we'll definitely capture and imprison them. Killing is only for unimportant people.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

g0del posted:

Let's be fair, if there's an actual evil NPC, with voice lines and everything, then we'll definitely capture and imprison them. Killing is only for unimportant people.

Kael whining about people wanting to kill villains is a STO tradition that goes back to the Iconian War and T'Ket.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Kael whining about people wanting to kill villains is a STO tradition that goes back to the Iconian War and T'Ket.
I don't know why they can't get it. I kill thousands of random NPCs every time I need to unlock a new ship trait. Of course I want to kill the boss NPC that created the whole mess.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well Dukat was right after all.

I'm very sad that great DS9 mission was followed immediately by the mandated STD stuff. Seems to have sold okay but come on. STO needs more Leck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

g0del posted:

I don't know why they can't get it. I kill thousands of random NPCs every time I need to unlock a new ship trait. Of course I want to kill the boss NPC that created the whole mess.
It's the same reason Batman never kills his villains: the writers want to reuse them later. :ssh: