Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Killingyouguy! posted:

HI, I'm not American, what is wrong with this phrase? I Googled 'Democrat party' and it only came up with the correct party, the worst thing I could find was a conservative party from Turkey that can be translated that way?

It’s a cultural signifier.

Only the worst sorts of people, and apparently ignorant foreigners, call it “the Democrat party”.

Don’t ask me why, but that’s how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Your honor, I would like to nominate this chart for awful/funny graphs and charts, please.

Well actually, if you read it in context it's not bad at all, but that is a lot of information to take in at once. The researchers seem to be employed at actual universities in various countries, using established methods for political research. IMO, that one graph, above, looks ridiculous because it's oversimplified. They summed together all of the indicators into some sort of index of illiberalism. I guess it's still a little useful, in the same way "the price-weighted average of 30 significant stocks traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and the Nasdaq" (The Dow) is useful when reporting economic news.

I note that that graph is not actually in the Post's article that's online now. Could it have been removed?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/09/18/united-states-is-backsliding-into-autocracy-under-trump-scholars-warn/

My favourite part of this graph is the Democrats getting significantly less "people-centric" from 2000 to 2018.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

vyelkin posted:

My favourite part of this graph is the Democrats getting significantly less "people-centric" from 2000 to 2018.

Politifact rates this “pants on fire”.

Corporations are people, and the Democrats are a centered around them as they ever were.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Killingyouguy! posted:

HI, I'm not American, what is wrong with this phrase? I Googled 'Democrat party' and it only came up with the correct party, the worst thing I could find was a conservative party from Turkey that can be translated that way?

Wikipedia has an article on this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democrat_Party_(epithet)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
God, I hate Bill Safire.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Platystemon posted:

It’s a cultural signifier.

Only the worst sorts of people, and apparently ignorant foreigners, call it “the Democrat party”.

Don’t ask me why, but that’s how it works.

Is there an equivalent for Republican party? I'm also not American and I frequently hear "party" attached to both, though it would be "democratic" party instead of "democrat".

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Count Roland posted:

Is there an equivalent for Republican party? I'm also not American and I frequently hear "party" attached to both, though it would be "democratic" party instead of "democrat".

Until recently, pretty much everyone agreed that "democratic" was a positive adjective (or if you disagreed you knew not to say the quiet part loud). To avoid labeling their opponents with something positive, conservatives started using Democrat as an adjective, not a noun. So Democrat party, "my Democrat opponent," and so on. A Democrat is a member of the Democratic Party, it's not an adjective.

There really isn't a Republican equivalent because Republican wasn't considered a politically neutral/positive descriptor.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

zakharov posted:

Until recently, pretty much everyone agreed that "democratic" was a positive adjective (or if you disagreed you knew not to say the quiet part loud). To avoid labeling their opponents with something positive, conservatives started using Democrat as an adjective, not a noun. So Democrat party, "my Democrat opponent," and so on. A Democrat is a member of the Democratic Party, it's not an adjective.

There really isn't a Republican equivalent because Republican wasn't considered a politically neutral/positive descriptor.

Also, grammatically trying to find an equivalent doesn't really work. The epithet version of Democrat-as-adjective works because Democrat is the noun used to refer to a member of the Democratic Party ("I'm a Democrat", for example). But the noun used to refer to a member of the Republican Party is... Republican ("I'm a Republican", for example). So to find an equivalent you have to actually come up with a new alternative, rather than just misusing a word that your opponent already uses, just in slightly different contexts.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Killingyouguy! posted:

When referring to the US Democratic Party, it's only used as a dumb "lol i said their name wrong" attack. Like "Micro$oft" or "Killary". It reveals an immaturity and lack of good faith.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

What the gently caress. I'd never heard of this. Are you all playing some weird gaslight games or something?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Outrail posted:

What the gently caress. I'd never heard of this. Are you all playing some weird gaslight games or something?

You have to hear Republicans say it out loud to understand where it comes from, because 9 time out of 10 they say it like "DemocRAT Party" because they get a tiny little dopamine rush from calling their enemies rats.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Golbez posted:

When referring to the US Democratic Party, it's only used as a dumb "lol i said their name wrong" attack. Like "Micro$oft" or "Killary". It reveals an immaturity and lack of good faith.

Before this thread goes too wild in chiding right wingers for this, I must point out that Trump has a great many nicknames that are used in the same way.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Outrail posted:

the wikipedia article's been around since 2004 so you're just missing things

Count Roland posted:

Before this thread goes too wild in chiding right wingers for this, I must point out that Trump has a great many nicknames that are used in the same way.

gotta make sure everyone knows Both Sides Are The Same

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

flatluigi posted:

gotta make sure everyone knows Both Sides Are The Same

They're not the same. Look at this very informative chart!

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Outrail posted:

i think the wiki page is not great but it was a thing.

Imagine you have a Ph.D. who insists that everyone address them as "Dr. So-and-so". There were and are many who don't do it out of the pleasure of seeing them bluster about something so superficial. And now there are also many who don't do it out of simply hearing the ones around them not addressing them as "Dr". This second part is so widespread that it reinforces itself. That's basically the same dynamic as the "democrat party" thing these days.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Count Roland posted:

And it's just as dumb to say things like Drumpf.

That said, I do approve of "the Kim Reaper" for the governor of my fine state because I'm not a fan of Iowa being a cautionary tale.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Golbez posted:

And it's just as dumb to say things like Drumpf.

That said, I do approve of "the Kim Reaper" for the governor of my fine state because I'm not a fan of Iowa being a cautionary tale.

I like all the ones that just rearrange the letters in his name. Tmurp etc.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Outrail posted:

Lol I've never even noticed this, their attempted insults have probably been bouncing off my sheer ignorance for years.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Ruzihm posted:

Imagine you have a Ph.D. who insists that everyone address them as "Dr. So-and-so". There were and are many who don't do it out of the pleasure of seeing them bluster about something so superficial. And now there are also many who don't do it out of simply hearing the ones around them not addressing them as "Dr". This second part is so widespread that it reinforces itself. That's basically the same dynamic as the "democrat party" thing these days.

I interpret it now less as a signifier of active intent to disparage Democrats and more of a shibboleth that indicates where you get your news. If you are encountering the phrase "democrat party" so much that it becomes your own standard usage, then you are probably following right-wing TV and blogs and probably following them exclusively.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Ruzihm posted:

Except the Democratic party has been around for almost 200 years. To say some people only say it because they hadn't heard the correct way of saying it is a bit iffy. Calling it Democrat party is a deliberate thing.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

MrUnderbridge posted:

Except the Democratic party has been around for almost 200 years. To say some people only say it because they hadn't heard the correct way of saying it is a bit iffy. Calling it Democrat party is a deliberate thing.

I agree. I mean come on, I distinctly remember my parents complaining about the democrats back when I was a teenager in 1843, and anyone who didn't just didn't pay attention.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The democrats loving suck so really theres nothing wrong with saying democrat party

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I’ve literally never noticed or heard of this.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I thought I was fairly plugged in into American politics and knew all the trendy dog whistles and whatnot, but I've also never heard of that. The wiki article says it's started in the 40s, so maybe it's not much of a thing nowadays? I don't remember Trump ever calling it the democrat party, and he's called everyone everything at this point.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I've seen it fairly often on Quora.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
If you listen to enough Republicans talk you'll start to notice it.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
What's weird is I saw an argument over "Democrat Party" pop up simultaneously in three threads in three different forums here. Was there some kind of meme or something that got in peoples' minds?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Golbez posted:

What's weird is I saw an argument over "Democrat Party" pop up simultaneously in three threads in three different forums here. Was there some kind of meme or something that got in peoples' minds?

The last few years have seen a huge surge in the number of people beginning to pay attention to politics. A lot of these people aren't aware that in the 90s, Rush Limbaugh and a bunch of other conservatives started saying "DemocRAT party," emphasizing the rat part, after which "Democrat party" kind of became a general pejorative term towards them for a couple decades.

Now a lot of younger and newer people are saying Democrat party because it feels like an intuitive way to refer to them, and it feels and sounds correct, and then they get jumped on by political nerd greybeards who accuse them of being stealth conservatives, idiots, or both.

People who say it to trigger the libs definitely exist, but even then it's just kind of a really old schoolyard level insult for a certain subset of extremely online or insular political nerd. Mostly it's the first thing I mentioned.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm not even American, and I've been noticing the deliberate replaing of Democratic with Democrat to the point it makes me bactrack and re-read any text where it's used in a new light.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The last few years have seen a huge surge in the number of people beginning to pay attention to politics.

Is this true? A coworker of mine told me this, but she's young and I suspect she just meant "me and some of my friends" when she was talking about a much more general group.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Count Roland posted:

Is this true? A coworker of mine told me this, but she's young and I suspect she just meant "me and some of my friends" when she was talking about a much more general group.

It’s never been easier to get information (accurate or not) about politics, and to yell at people online about that information. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that in this new online age that political engagement has increased compared to when there were three TV channels and your total exposure to politics was watching the 6 o’clock news and maybe reading the editorial section of the newspaper if you’re interested. Now you can’t even scroll through Instagram stories without seeing a couple political posts.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

just say "Clinton Crime Family" if that's what you mean

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's definitely an intentional thing but I can see how it could be an innocent accidental thing, which in this case it was, and that's why I mentioned it instead of just being gently caress you about it

mandatory lesbian posted:

The democrats loving suck so really theres nothing wrong with saying democrat party

Except that it immediately makes you sound like a far worse kind of person

So if you don't mind apparently self identifying as a chud, go right ahead

It's currently verbal shorthand for "I own an article of clothing and/or a flag that says Trump on it"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If gave a poo poo I'd go full on Q level conspiracy theorist about this democrat party thing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If someone came into this thread sincerely using terms like "Sleepy Joe" and "Crooked Hillary" then they'd be roundly laughed at and that's basically the same thing as "Democrat Party"

e: oh god drat it this isn't the USPOL thread? How many threads are having this discussion right now

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Pakled posted:

How many threads are having this discussion right now

This seems to happen a lot. Is there some way to analyze the forums post history and figure out if we have some kind of memetic virus running about?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Shut me up if this derail needs to end but is saying 'a democrat/the democrats'* the same problem? I feel like even my American friends furthest on the left say that one in the reg

* don't even know what the alternative would be here, 'representative(s) from the democratic party'?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

Shut me up if this derail needs to end but is saying 'a democrat/the democrats'* the same problem? I feel like even my American friends furthest on the left say that one in the reg

* don't even know what the alternative would be here, 'representative(s) from the democratic party'?

No, that's fine because that's using it as a noun.

If you're a member of the Democratic Party, you're a Democrat. You can say "I'm a Democrat" or "Those people over there are Democrats" and it makes grammatical sense. What Republicans decided to do as the stupidest of schoolyard-level attempts to get under their opponents' skins, was to use that noun as an adjective to refer to the party as whole instead of using the adjectival form "Democratic", so instead of saying "My opponents from the Democratic Party" you say "My opponents from the DemocRAT Party" to subtly insinuate that your opponents are rats.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The Republicans are real fuckin stupid huh

Thank you, you may resume with the Bad Graphs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

vyelkin posted:

so instead of saying "My opponents from the Democratic Party" you say "My opponents from the DemocRAT Party" to subtly insinuate that your opponents are rats.

I just want to say that I hate this, I hate it greatly, I hate all the variants, it is the dumbest, most juvenile way of thinking. Even the worst of schoolyard bullies I've known gave that up after hitting twelve or so, but Carol is over here on Facebook yelling about the DemonCRAPS and the Planned-demic like it makes her look smart and it's like arguing with a propaganda golem.