Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Count Roland posted:

Counties with a KFC:

Ok I'll bite, why is Cuba purple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Concept restaurant is when the meal costs more than your monthly salary, arrives stone cold and covered in dead ants, and the reviews try to convince you it's actually the best restaurant in the world because it's making an important statement about sustainability or some such bullshit. Yes, I'm talking about Noma.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

chairface posted:

Guantanamo Bay?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Count Roland posted:

:golfclap:

Some posters have complained, but I quite enjoy the pedantic restaurant chat. The only thing it could use is more maps.

Counties with McDonald's, by year of first opening:

Counties with a KFC:

Chicken and old white men in archaic dress just translates better than burgers amd clowns.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

chairface posted:

It doesn't have a KFC but it does have those off-brands you see in England where its a random american state like Idaho Fried Chicken

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

chairface posted:

The KFC is on Gitmo. So yes, technically in Cuba, but no Cubans can visit.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

steinrokkan posted:

Guantanamo Bay?

I check and yes it's purple because there is a KFC in Guantanamo which is technically the sovereign territory of Cuba.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Count Roland posted:

:golfclap:

Some posters have complained, but I quite enjoy the pedantic restaurant chat. The only thing it could use is more maps.

Counties with McDonald's, by year of first opening:

Counties with a KFC:

The real reason Amerikkka wants to destroy Iran

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I think KFC is shutting down across Canada. They got their clock cleaned by Popeyes in recent years. Supposedly a big reason is that Popeyes is halal while KFC isn’t.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Starks posted:

I think KFC is shutting down across Canada. They got their clock cleaned by Popeyes in recent years. Supposedly a big reason is that Popeyes is halal while KFC isn’t.

I strongly doubt this is true.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Starks posted:

I worked at a KFC in France for a while and their stuff was marked as halal. I also worked at KFC in the US but that was like 15 years ago and I was even more of an idiot then than now and I wouldn't have noticed even if it were.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
About 10% of KFCs in the UK are halal-certified (the nearest one to me is one of them); the only real difference is that you pay about 30p less on certain sandwiches because of the lack of bacon.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Counties with a KFC:

Ooh an excuse to post a photo I made when I was in China.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Carbon dioxide posted:

Ooh an excuse to post a photo I made when I was in China.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm surprised nobody has weighed in with like the legal definition of restaurant, because I'm pretty sure that's regulated by legislation, unlike more abstract taxonomy like what counts as a sandwich, where there's only judicial precedent.

Also Japan's pretty densely packed with McD's.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m seleted countire Demark

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Iceland doesn't have McDonald's according to the map but its part of the seletet countries

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm surprised nobody has weighed in with like the legal definition of restaurant, because I'm pretty sure that's regulated by legislation, unlike more abstract taxonomy like what counts as a sandwich, where there's only judicial precedent.

Also Japan's pretty densely packed with McD's.

armenia does not have a mcd's

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah I think half the people in this subforum looked that up when the shooting started.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

armenia does not have a mcd's

And Indonesia, Hungary, Slovakia, Romania and Serbia all have McDonald’s but are marked in blue on the map. The map is bad.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

And Indonesia, Hungary, Slovakia, Romania and Serbia all have McDonald’s but are marked in blue on the map. The map is bad.

Paraguay also

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm surprised nobody has weighed in with like the legal definition of restaurant, because I'm pretty sure that's regulated by legislation,

There's dozens of various definitions of restaurants depending on the purpose and aim of the legislation (eg the definition of a restaurant under tax law can be entirely different from its definition under company law, under legislation limiting access of minors to games of chance, alcohol laws, ...) so it's really not that useful

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

One day there will be a mcdonalds on those oil platforms in the caspian sea

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

System Metternich posted:

e: Oh poo poo, turns out the account literally is him and he has the motto written above the gates of Auschwitz as part of his Twitter bio :stonklol:

my favorite thing about post-prison varg is how he made a tabletop board game that only white people are allowed to buy and play

wait nvm my other favorite thing about post-prison varg is how he clogged a hotel toilet with oranges while blackout drunk and then when the police were called they confiscated all his guns for the trouble

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

One day there will be a mcdonalds on those oil platforms in the caspian sea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7OILPlG3rY

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Iceland used to have McDonalds but they bailed in the financial collapse.

The franchise owners changed the name to Metro which is basically an RC Cola to McDonalds' Coke. Same thing but less so.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Count Roland posted:

I strongly doubt this is true.

which part? I'm sure it's not as much of a reason as people in Toronto make it out to be, obviously Popeyes also has a massive advantage now that they're owned by a Canadian company (that also owns the most successful fastfood restaurant in the country).

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Starks posted:

which part? I'm sure it's not as much of a reason as people in Toronto make it out to be, obviously Popeyes also has a massive advantage now that they're owned by a Canadian company (that also owns the most successful fastfood restaurant in the country).

Because I've seen them in several Canadian cities and they don't appear to be going away? What makes you think such a large chain would shut down across the whole country?

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Starks posted:

Growing up Popeyes was literally the only fast food I was allowed to eat, that and Pizza Pizza I guess. Edit: Muslims make up like 3% of the Canadian population though so I don't think it was a big factor.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Yeah, claiming that KFC would shut down across all of Canada over halal reeks of propaganda about the country being "overrun" with Muslims. As was said, Muslims are a small percentage of Canada's population, and they're concentrated mostly in certain areas. I seriously doubt their eating preferences could bring KFC to quit on the entire country (if they're actually doing that).

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Especially since there are several Muslim nations colored in on that map.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Pardon my ignorance but I thought Chicken was Halal. Hell I don't know of a single non-vegetarian religion that bans chicken. Is it something to do with preperation? I thought Halal was a lot less demanding than Kosher on that front.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

galagazombie posted:

Pardon my ignorance but I thought Chicken was Halal. Hell I don't know of a single non-vegetarian religion that bans chicken. Is it something to do with preperation? I thought Halal was a lot less demanding than Kosher on that front.

A Muslim has to kill the chicken with a knife and utter a blessing at the time of the strike. I also think there is some controversy about the animal having to be conscious. Also, some other restrictions and you need certification from an independent body. Could be, I am half remembering this from a TV news segment about a factory that instituted halal practices to start exporting to Gulf countries.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What if you eat a whole live chicken?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What if you eat a whole live chicken?

Tradition dictates that you eat it under a towel to shield God’s eyes from such decadence.

iota subscript
Oct 26, 2010

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - ONE SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE

Platystemon posted:

I wonder how the Heart Attack Grill is doing.

It's doing fine but now it's called the Cytokine Storm Cafe.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

A Muslim has to kill the chicken with a knife and utter a blessing at the time of the strike. I also think there is some controversy about the animal having to be conscious. Also, some other restrictions and you need certification from an independent body. Could be, I am half remembering this from a TV news segment about a factory that instituted halal practices to start exporting to Gulf countries.

Yes. There are halal slaughterhouses in Europe and they're widely regarded as controversial, because while non-halal ones supposedly* sedate animals before slaughtering them, this is not allowed under halal practice. Instead, the idea there is to simply kill the animals quickly by slicing their neck in a single quick knife swipe.

* I say supposedly because people who claimed to be inspectors and snuck in with cameras showed quite clearly that half the time the sedation doesn't work and the animals are either painfully gassed or thrown into boiling water while they're still alive. Also don't expect their hygiene to be any good. It's not surprising that slaughterhouses have been covid superspreader locations several times already.

In my opinion the meat industry as a whole is utter poo poo. I have nothing against eating meat but it would be nice if we could just trust the hygiene is in order and also the animals aren't being tortured before death.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Supposed controversies over halal meat are probably just racist dog whistles, though. An industry whose job is to slaughter unwilling sentient beings is not ethical by definition, everything else is just details.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Bit weird that they don't have data for northern ireland