Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I like this show, especially that it shows you don't need universe ending stakes to tell good stories every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Also Mandalorian's reaction to me did not read as disinterest or mild annoyance, it read to me as more "oh gently caress" or mild panic. You can't see his face of course so maybe people read it differently, but his voice sounded like "Oh poo poo I am going to be in so much trouble this lady is going to be so mad", and every scene has a tension of him clearly hoping she will not notice the one or two missing.

I still like that both the audience and the characters start to pick up on his emotions and reactions the more they hang around him, to the point where one character jokes about him overreacting.

Also no wonder he gets along so well with the Tusken Raiders. And the child, for that matter.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Holy poo poo that episode ruled. Seeing Bo-Katan made my loving week! And watching 4 Mandos lay waste to a squad of Stormtroopers was just...sigh. Wonderful. And I was waiting for her to name drop Ahsoka just to finally get that confirmation, and we got it.

Also, Titus Welliver in this episode brings the Deadwood actor count this season up to 3, yes?

Of course, now I need to get ready for a bunch of my friends and family to ask me who Bo-Katan is. I swear, I'm the god drat Star Wars whisperer every week when this show is on.

I love it.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Holy poo poo that episode ruled. Seeing Bo-Katan made my loving week! And watching 4 Mandos lay waste to a squad of Stormtroopers was just...sigh. Wonderful. And I was waiting for her to name drop Ahsoka just to finally get that confirmation, and we got it.

Also, Titus Welliver in this episode brings the Deadwood actor count this season up to 3, yes?

Of course, now I need to get ready for a bunch of my friends and family to ask me who Bo-Katan is. I swear, I'm the god drat Star Wars whisperer every week when this show is on.

I love it.

I really hope Mandalorian can do what Justified wasn’t able to and get Ian McShane and Timothy Olyphant back in a scene together. I read an interview with McShane were he said they’d tried to make that happen the whole show’s run but the schedules never worked out.

I don’t think it’ll happen, but I hope this doesn’t lead to Mando adapting his creed to whipping his helmet off constantly and for no reason. I liked the little distinction drawn where it’s like yeah, Bo-Katan and crew might consider Mando’s sect religious zealots and poo poo, but they proceed to drag him into some bullshit, mislead him, and actively jerk him around to get what they want, the kind of dishonorable poo poo the religious zealots Mando is familiar with would never do. I prefer noble ronin Mando, I hope he sticks to his guns

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I'm a little crushed we won't get more Imperial Bosch/Titus Welliver, but he went down on his own terms, so I guess it's ok

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I'm a little crushed we won't get more Imperial Bosch/Titus Welliver, but he went down on his own terms, so I guess it's ok

With an electric suicide tooth, no less!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So he's not Death Watch, but definitely ex death watch members joined the cult of the Watch at some point following the Clone Wars

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Darko posted:

I just laughed at Mando "No True Mandalorianing" someone who was actually THE Mandalore at one time.

Bo-Katan was prolly thinking "this fuckin' fundie, good lord." Lmao.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

As someone who hasn’t watched Clone Wars, Bo Katan kinda came off as a dick, especially tricking Mando into hijacking the whole ship. It’s all good though, I’m looking forward to future drama between these two sects. The Armorer had to know that Mando would learn this truth eventually on his quest, maybe she’s setting him up to broker peace between the two groups.

Either way, this show is so drat good, holy hell!
:munch:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bo Katan is kind of a dick. She's former Death Watch and really only came into her own as a leader because she was pissed off at Maul for overthrowing Clan VIszla and she started a civil war over it.

It doesn't matter what canon you follow, Death Watch members tend to be assholes.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

That was incredibly satisfying on all counts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, Bo-Katan deffo has a chip on her shoulder. Rightfully so, lol

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I laughed at the space cyanide.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think Ahsoka will turn down Mando and refuse to take Baby Yoda. She stopped being a Jedi a long time ago and I doubt she'll want to take in Baby Yoda just cus he's force sensitive. I imagine it will be like how Cal destroys the holocron in Fallen Order to let the children the jedi had tagged for recruitment grow up and live their own lives rather than to restore a broken organization.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It's been a long time since I've seen Clone Wars or Rebels- are the Mandalorians with Bo Katan supposed to be characters from those eras as well or just new Death Watch characters altogether?

edit: also lol at the vibroblade being so deadly that Din simply had to touch the tentacle of the Child's soup for it to die.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New death watch characters.

Vibroblades have an energy pack that makes them vibrate. They also give off a slight electric charge as a result. Zappy stab a wet octopus.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I thought that might be the case; the one Mando looked too young to be part of the Clone Wars era.

Also, what had that Imperial ship been in before?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Gozanti was from Rebels where it was a freighter that doubled as a carrier for a flight of tie fighters. It shows up in a lot of the newer Disney stuff around the time of the OT.

Edit.
Looks like its been around since Phantom Menace actually

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
Was that crane thing at the beginning a modified AT-ST?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Lamont posted:

Was that crane thing at the beginning a modified AT-ST?

AT-AT. The STs are the chicken walkers.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Phylodox posted:

AT-AT. The STs are the chicken walkers.

Whoops, my bad - I even googled earlier when I was thinking about it to check which was which, and still managed to gently caress it up!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/OriginalFunko/status/1325907285424689152

TOO SOON

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Seems like if you haven't watched Clone Wars you're missing some of the backstory. Is it worth watching? I'm stoked about Mandalorian because it's my favorite thing they've done with the IP since the trilogy. Loved this episode but got essentially 0 of the references. Wouldn't mind more universe-building stuff if it's good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

i am a moron posted:

Seems like if you haven't watched Clone Wars you're missing some of the backstory. Is it worth watching? I'm stoked about Mandalorian because it's my favorite thing they've done with the IP since the trilogy. Loved this episode but got essentially 0 of the references. Wouldn't mind more universe-building stuff if it's good.

Watch the Clone Waea Season 2 3-parter for the intro to the confusing world that is Mandalore. Skip the season 3 episodes unless you want to watch a story about poisoned tea shipments and a Mandalorian teenager doing a Scooby-Doo mystery. Season 4 has a pretty lame episode about Mandalore but it introduces Bo Katan.
Seaon 5 is where poo poo kicks off and Mandalorians get into a whole heap of chaos. Then Season 7 wraps up the Clone Wars Mando episodes.

Rebels has a Mandalorian character in the main cast but I dont like her and the Mandalorians are more like a crappy Game of Thrones knockoff than anything else. Personal opinion but I'd say you can take or leave Rebels.

Long story made very short. Mandalorians have been a warrior culture for thousands of years and often battled the Jedi. One Mandalore king brokered a peace and actually became a Jedi, wielding the Darksaber as his badge of office. It got passed down over the generations to the next Mandalore. 200 years before the Clone Wars the Mandalorians began a serious rearmament campaign that scared the Republic into firebombing their planet. A pacifist movement established a new government that forsook the warrior path and became the ruling body until the Clone Wars. Various splinter groups and clans continued the old ways, and many of them joined Death Watch during the clone wars to try and usurp the government. Big rear end Civil War ensued.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 13, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Clone Wars series single-handedly got me back into SW fandom after feeling burned by the Prequel (I wasn't "blah my childhood is ruined!" I was more "Welp, it just isn't for me anymore") because largely it had a lot of viewpoints from people who weren't space wizards. The clone Captain Rex and eventually the apprentice Jedi Ahsoka Tano became more enjoyable characters to me than even the majority of the final trilogy's. But I'm sure there are curated lists that will point you to episode arcs you can watch to get the meat of the story if you don't want to go through all 7 seasons. Rebels is also good but it had to grow on me to be honest. I wasn't a fan at first but the story and characters really grew.

I have nothing really to say about the most recent animated series other than I gave it a shot and gave up after 3 episodes because I just found it to be terrible.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
I thought watching Clone Wars while waiting for Mandalorian S2 was a dumb idea but I'm happy I did.

I'm going to do a mini marathon of S2 with Mr. luva1. He doesn't wander into expanded universe very much so it'll be interesting to see his reaction to Bo-Katan.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Rebels is also good but it had to grow on me to be honest. I wasn't a fan at first but the story and characters really grew.

SW Rebels took my heart when the second season opener managed to rehabilitate Darth Vader back into a scary mofo after whiny emo Anakin from the prequels. And then it gave me Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

teagone posted:

Bo-Katan was prolly thinking "this fuckin' fundie, good lord." Lmao.

Yeah, I loved how her inflection of "dank farrik" was 100% like an annoyed "God dammit..."

Gonz posted:

With an electric suicide tooth, no less!

Electric Suicide Tooth is totally going to be the name of my next band.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1327306818947788800

I would forgive Mando killing all the quarren. The women and the children, too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Quarrens tend to be dicks as well.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hot drat this episode loving RULED

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Should have made it a TicTac dispenser

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: @ the Mon Calamari repairing the bounty hunter's space ship with ropes and fishnets.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Getting some strong Mary Swanson vibes with that headband

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

withak posted:

:lol: @ the Mon Calamari repairing the bounty hunter's space ship with ropes and fishnets.

Yeah, I LOL'd at how it ended up looking, especially when it cut to the interior. All the comedy beats this episode were great.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jivjov posted:

Hm, interesting that the episode directed by a woman is much more respectful of motherhood, and is absent any pregnancy/offspring horror.

It was written by the same man. Almost if there’s a story going on.

Also shut up lmao

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

i am a moron posted:

This is the list I used to watch the Clone Wars when I was jonesing for more content after season 1 of the Mandalorian. It's a little old so it doesn't include the final season of Clone Wars but... just watch all the episodes of that, you'll be fine.

And after that if you're STILL hungry for more, go ahead and watch Rebels. No curated list needed, just binge that sucker.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

teagone posted:

Yeah, I LOL'd at how it ended up looking, especially when it cut to the interior. All the comedy beats this episode were great.

“We trapped them in cargo control” was just :discourse:

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
After the egg-eating debacle last week I was really apprehensive when Mando dropped the Child off with the frog family. How was this going to play out?
I had two scenarios in my head:
a) Mando returns to find out Baby Yoda has eaten the rest of the eggs. He mumbles a half-assed apology, grabs the kid and leaves. Yeah, not likely, too dark.
b) Mando returns to see what at first looks like the Frogs giving Baby Yoda a bath in a big steaming tub, until we see chopped vegetables swimming in the water and realize they're about to cook him, not out of revenge but simply due to cultural misunderstanding. Eh, maybe, it might have worked as a kind of counterbalance to last week.

In the end I really liked the way it was resolved. Anyone who's ever had a rambunctious kid that doesn't know his or her own strength has probably at some point stood in awe at the same kid being suddenly (and almost instinctively) incredibly tender when stroking the head of a baby, or petting a kitten. The way Baby Yoda handled the tadpole gave me really strong vibes of that feeling, and it almost feels like he grew up a little at that moment.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Everyone posted:

I never got into Clone Wars so I really don't know who Bo-Katan is (though I'll google her shortly).

My big takeaway was "Wait, that sounds like Katee Sackoff." Then. "gently caress yeah! Katee Sackoff!"

Same here, never watched any of the animated Star Wars stuff, but I was very pleased to see Katee Sackhoff again, 11 years after Galactica. I knew enough to know that Bo-Katan was somebody important, so I googled a bit and I guess she was also the voice actress for the animated character. Seems like a real treat for fans to see the same actress playing the live-action version of the character as well.

Also love that other Mandalorians look at Din and his sect as ultra orthodox zealots; really reframes all the ritualism that we witnessed with the covert on Nevarro.

The puppet tadpole at the end looked weird, since it was literally just a solid block being wiggled around a bit with no secondary motion, but at this point that occasional rough bit of practical effects feels like it's part of the Star Wars aesthetic, and I'm all for it.

I feel like the port crane AT-AT was a nod to the (debunked) myth that Lucas was inspired by the cranes at the port of Oakland for the idea of AT-ATs. I love that they can throw in fun bits of trivia like that without rubbing it in your face; if you're not in the know, it just seems like another piece of Star Wars machinery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I'm assuming it's just coincidence, but it's interesting how each episode of this season mirrors something from the same numbered episode of season 1:

Episode 1 - Mando teams up with a character who looks like a more famous ESB bounty hunter, and the episode ends with a major character reveal.
Episode 2 - Episode opens with Mando getting ambushed by people who want to take the child. He does an egg-based sidequest, and his ship gets wrecked at some point.
Episode 3 - Mando does battle against Imperials and is saved by other mandalorians.