Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Kvlt! posted:

Thanks for this. OpenTTD looks amazing. Is it easy to learn?

The worst part is the extremely 90's PC game user interface. Otherwise, learning how to build train systems that don't constantly cause head-on collisions and jams that require bulldozers to clear is the fun part. One tip: use Path Signals, the other types are pretty much obsolete and are only there if you want additional problems to solve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Factorio with no biters is also a great "on the side" game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Same with literally any Anno game.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm really enjoying OpenTTD, (even if I'm playing with unlimited money and having fun just building train networks), and I'm gonna try the Factorio demo but OpenTTD is pretty much exactly what I was looking for

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of - is there a game similar to OpenTTD without the focus on train mechanics? Just building a varied and pretty transport system to connect town and paint the map your color?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Speaking of - is there a game similar to OpenTTD without the focus on train mechanics? Just building a varied and pretty transport system to connect town and paint the map your color?

Maybe Cities in Motion? Get that public transit ridership to 100%!

Edit: Or just play OpenTTD without using trains, of course. Trucks and shipping channels all the way.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

anilEhilated posted:

Factory Town. More suggestions can be found in the Management Megathread.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
What are some good PS4 games with a 80s / 2000s synthwave soundtrack?

Stuff like Furi, MGSV etc.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

WaltherFeng posted:

Thumper

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

WaltherFeng posted:

this isn't exactly what you are asking for but the playstation dashboard integration of Spotify is quite good and you can jam all sorts of playlists people have made while in a game

if you have never tried Spotify on PS4, give it a shot

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Captain Beans posted:

this isn't exactly what you are asking for but the playstation dashboard integration of Spotify is quite good and you can jam all sorts of playlists people have made while in a game

if you have never tried Spotify on PS4, give it a shot

Thanks for the tip!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey I'm in the mood for a big dumb game with nice graphics that has exploration and fighting stuff. Currently looking at Horizon Zero Dawn and Monster Hunter. Either of those two or is there something else I should take a look at?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey I'm in the mood for a big dumb game with nice graphics that has exploration and fighting stuff. Currently looking at Horizon Zero Dawn and Monster Hunter. Either of those two or is there something else I should take a look at?

Horizon Zero Dawn is fantastic. The PC port is still a bit poo poo (in particular they still haven't fixed the mouse acceleration / cursor emulating a controller bullshit that's endemic to bad ports) but the original devs have been doing a pretty good job of gradually fixing issues the third party port devs hosed up.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

What's the deal with there being no The Sims clones? I'm kind of in the mood to play some Sims but I am put off by the monetization.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Monster Hunter World is a wonderful game. The exploration is pretty light (you can usually track down a monster within a few minutes, and the maps, while a good size and beautiful to look at, aren't gonna hide many secrets from you) but the fighting is top-notch, with each of the 14 weapons feeling distinct and useful, so you can find something that clicks for you. The greatsword feels nothing like the longsword, the dual blades feel nothing like the hammer, and even the lance and gunlance are very distinct and don't have much direct skill transfer. You can tell they've been iterating on these weapons for a decade and they all feel great to use. There's an active goon community and a large pubbie population, so teaming up is a breeze if you need help, or want to respond to random SOS signals from other hunters around the world and go help out (my favorite thing).

It's a fantastic game. One of the finest ever made. But more specific to your question, once you learn the layouts of the maps and have lots of research data (a game mechanic that makes monsters easier to locate), it'll be like 5% exploring the world, and 95% fighting/crafting stuff for fighting.

Shine fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 13, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Horizon Zero Dawn is really good, and surprisingly not dumb!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

What's the deal with there being no The Sims clones? I'm kind of in the mood to play some Sims but I am put off by the monetization.

Probably lawsuits.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Mayveena posted:

Probably lawsuits.

How so? you can't copyright an idea as broad as "life simulator"

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Deltasquid posted:

How so? you can't copyright an idea as broad as "life simulator"

So as not to go off topic

You can make copyright/patent claims and then dare people to fight you. Patent attorneys generally want between $300K and $500K as a retainer and with EA's unending line of attorneys I doubt there’s much stomach to challenge those claims. . I don’t know if there have been such claims made by EA but as lucrative as the franchise is and for as long as The Sims has been around, I think that’s a reasonable assumption.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i think that conceptual space is mostly occupied by games like Rimworld or Oxygen Not Included or relatively small-scale city builders. they're not exactly the same but if anything that probably helps from a marketing perspective

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

like The Sims is a game that only a company that had made dozens of weird, niche, toyetic simulators and suddenly had pressure to go mainstream could make. anyone who likes that sort of thing but doesn't have EA breathing down their necks just makes weird, niche, toyetic simulators

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Shine posted:

Monster Hunter World is a wonderful game. The exploration is pretty light (you can usually track down a monster within a few minutes, and the maps, while a good size and beautiful to look at, aren't gonna hide many secrets from you) but the fighting is top-notch, with each of the 14 weapons feeling distinct and useful, so you can find something that clicks for you. The greatsword feels nothing like the longsword, the dual blades feel nothing like the hammer, and even the lance and gunlance are very distinct and don't have much direct skill transfer. You can tell they've been iterating on these weapons for a decade and they all feel great to use. There's an active goon community and a large pubbie population, so teaming up is a breeze if you need help, or want to respond to random SOS signals from other hunters around the world and go help out (my favorite thing).

It's a fantastic game. One of the finest ever made. But more specific to your question, once you learn the layouts of the maps and have lots of research data (a game mechanic that makes monsters easier to locate), it'll be like 5% exploring the world, and 95% fighting/crafting stuff for fighting.

Yeah exploration in MH isn't so much scoping new areas as becoming more intimately familiar with features of the map you're already aware of

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Any recommendations for "quick game for break" on PC? The kind that fires up quickly, you can spend like 5 to 15 minutes doing one thing, and then done.

For me these used to be Hearthstone, then I quit, and I replaced it with online Chess, and as I am coming to learn, neither are any good at the chill part.

I used to have the Konami Picross on phone but that's finally done earlier this year too. I have Shadowhand, its chillness ranges from "This is fun and relaxing" to "MY GOD DOn'T BE SUCH A DICK WITH THE RANDOMNESS"

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I use Dead by Daylight for this, the matches are relatively quick, and I never real get bad tummy feels from that game. And I have massive rage issues when it comes to video games.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Stardew or Littlewood are decent for games that have start and end points with the day/night cycle, each day not lasting that long.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Artelier posted:

Any recommendations for "quick game for break" on PC? The kind that fires up quickly, you can spend like 5 to 15 minutes doing one thing, and then done.

For me these used to be Hearthstone, then I quit, and I replaced it with online Chess, and as I am coming to learn, neither are any good at the chill part.

I used to have the Konami Picross on phone but that's finally done earlier this year too. I have Shadowhand, its chillness ranges from "This is fun and relaxing" to "MY GOD DOn'T BE SUCH A DICK WITH THE RANDOMNESS"

If you're not adverse to roguelikes, Dicey Dungeons is a great coffee break game. You can do one or two encounters and come back to it easily.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Artelier posted:

Chess but more chill says Into the Breach for me. Each mission is a 4-5 turn Mechs vs. Giant Insects fight, and you can save&quit mid mission at any time just by closing the window. One full campaign takes about an hour and a half when you're familiar with the game, and there's plenty of stuff to unlock to keep things interesting.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Artelier posted:

Streets of Rage 4. Each stage is about 10-minutes long, and you can play on lower difficulties to mindlessly beat poo poo up, or turn it up and have to dig deeper into the movesets and positioning strategies.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Afriscipio posted:

If you're not adverse to roguelikes, Dicey Dungeons is a great coffee break game. You can do one or two encounters and come back to it easily.

I dunno about it as a game for breaks / particularly chill, but I'm seconding it because this game is absolutely terrific.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I have almost all those games already but they're great suggestions because why look for a new game when I can just play ones I already own? They're exactly in line with what I want! The Streets of Rage 4 one in particular is good since after its first couple of weeks it became stressful because I kept going for and then defending a speedrun world record I had for a while (which I have since dropped). Then I spent some time learning how to spedrun Mania and got a big roadblock in stage 6. Just because I made it stressful doesn't mean it inherently has to be.

StoryTime posted:

Chess but more chill says Into the Breach for me. Each mission is a 4-5 turn Mechs vs. Giant Insects fight, and you can save&quit mid mission at any time just by closing the window. One full campaign takes about an hour and a half when you're familiar with the game, and there's plenty of stuff to unlock to keep things interesting.

Fml this is an obvious one that I've completely forgotten about. Well, I remembered, I just forgot I could stop mid-campaign ala StS, Monster Train, Dicey Dungeons etc. Every time I wanted to play I was like "Oh but a run is like an hour or so..."

Knightmare posted:

Stardew or Littlewood are decent for games that have start and end points with the day/night cycle, each day not lasting that long.
How's Littlewood? It's the only one of the suggestions I don't already own and it looks like Even More Chill Stardew. Which is fine by me, as I drop off Stardew every few hours or so

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Artelier posted:

STREETS OF RAGE!!!

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

I gotta say, it's pretty funny to me that a person comes in this thread and gets recommended a game they had a speedrun WR in.

For content, the newish Trackmania has a free mode that's good for occasional arcade racing with nothing to beat except your previous best times.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

StoryTime posted:

I gotta say, it's pretty funny to me that a person comes in this thread and gets recommended a game they had a speedrun WR in.
????

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

I just meant that it's a funny happenstance, that's all. No slight intended.

Sorry if it came off that way.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

StoryTime posted:

Possibly the WR for most on point recommendation so far??

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

StoryTime posted:

I just meant that it's a funny happenstance, that's all. No slight intended.

Sorry if it came off that way.
I think the ??? is that your post came across as a bit vague and you could have been more specific about which poster and which game you were referring to

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Nov 14, 2020

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Yeah lol that one could have used a quote. But enough about my bad posting habits.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Artelier posted:

How's Littlewood? It's the only one of the suggestions I don't already own and it looks like Even More Chill Stardew. Which is fine by me, as I drop off Stardew every few hours or so

Probably depends on the reason you're dropping off Stardew, as it has some similar mechanics. I liked it because it didn't have the time limit pressure and was pretty stress free, the "day" is built into your stamina so it's not really possible to waste a day.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Artelier posted:

If you like Picross, you will also like Pictopix. The designer is really really good at creating puzzles that resolve into actual, credible pictures. Once you get to 20x20, though, the puzzles will no longer fit in 15 minutes, or at least they don't for me.

If you like Shadowhand, the same company's previous game, Regency Solitaire, is equally pretty and somewhat easier, and currently on sale for a resounding three bucks.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Splicer posted:

I think the ??? is that your post came across as a bit vague and you could have been more specific about which poster and which game you were referring to
Yes. Who has a world record in what?