Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Crackbone posted:

My daughter's school district is doing virtual and in-person schooling. Email today:
- County infection rates just hit a new high
- Cases are now at a level where our Health department recommends going strictly virtual
- The school board has decided to INCREASE the amount of on-premises schooling they do

So fun update, they announced today they're going back to all-virtual because there are so many teachers and students out on quarantine. So less than two weeks before it all went to poo poo.
BUT, they're committed to restarting in-person schooling on Dec. 1st.

Morons. loving Morons.

stab posted:

Not the same everywhere, but in my province it's still mandatory to take your kid to school. If we choose not to, we have to pull them out for the entire year, follow the school circirulum and basically put in 40 hours a week on teaching them while holding down full time jobs in which several parents have to go into offices to work.

It sucks and it's a poo poo show that a lot of us are stuck in.

What province is that?

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Crackbone posted:

So fun update, they announced today they're going back to all-virtual because there are so many teachers and students out on quarantine. So less than two weeks before it all went to poo poo.
BUT, they're committed to restarting in-person schooling on Dec. 1st.

Morons. loving Morons.

What province is that?

Quebec. Shockingly, we lead Canada with the amount of infections and deaths. No, they never planned to roll out online schooling to the elementary schools.

They just announced "hey maybe we will tack on two weeks of closure at Christmas, maybe"

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham

Oh lordy, the replies

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Philthy posted:

Made coffee this morning and as I looked out the window saw a parent taking his two kids to school.

What. The. gently caress.

My guess is that their school was open ??? What is so unbelievable about this?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

So is the main factor behind this surge the weather? We've had basically the same restrictions in place from like September to Monday and saw small rises but nothing like the past ~2 weeks.

Just people gathering indoors more?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Edit wrong thread

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

People relaxing and being less careful about masking and not going out, schools reopening, the election probably, schools reopening, people going to restaurants, schools reopening. The usual.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Scarodactyl posted:

People relaxing and being less careful about masking and not going out, schools reopening, the election probably, schools reopening, people going to restaurants, schools reopening. The usual.

Did schools reopen after the first quarter in some states?!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yes.

Colorado still has a bunch of schools in session.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

pro starcraft loser posted:

Did schools reopen after the first quarter in some states?!

Some schools opened immediately, especially ones in states that think virus is hoax and will gladly send cops to your house if you keep your kids out of said schools

The US is loving awful

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Starting the 16th Costco isn't going to allow anyone in without a mask. If you have a medical exemption (lol) you can go gently caress yourself because you're not getting in.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Our schools are open again here in NC, where we are doing the worst we have ever done.

We should be getting efficacy data from Moderna in the next week btw. Their vaccine is much like Pfizer's in design and in phase 1/2 results so I am expecting very good numbers. Which is good because nothing else is going to help is at this point.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

PathAsc posted:

Some schools opened immediately, especially ones in states that think virus is hoax and will gladly send cops to your house if you keep your kids out of said schools

The US is loving awful

My wife had to quit because she couldn't take having to do 3 lesson plans for a 4th grade math & science class on top of the stress of having to conduct those 3 lesson plans in their environment. She was forced to do an in person, a virtual, and then a spanish one for her kid that doesn't speak any english but they can't get him any ESL support so she wasn't just going to let him sit there. Because she's a good selfless human, like most teachers.

This was lovely enough, but then even after that they stopped providing PPE around week 3 into in-person instruction. A lot of states let teachers put plexiglass or whatever that material is around the desks to shield them, not our state!

We're not done yet. Then parents hated the virtual learning so they started to send their kids back to in person, so her classroom which you couldn't social distance with 10 kids now has to be spaced for 18 kids.

She doesn't get paid enough or get enough respect for being a normal teacher, gently caress all of this.

gently caress Betsy DeVos, gently caress Trump, gently caress Ron Desantis in no particular order.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Schools around here have been closed all school year. They were thinking about reopening around mid October but walked back on that pretty quick. I'm just curious if any state had the first quarter closed then opened the second.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

vyst posted:

My wife had to quit because she couldn't take having to do 3 lesson plans for a 4th grade math & science class on top of the stress of having to conduct those 3 lesson plans in their environment. She was forced to do an in person, a virtual, and then a spanish one for her kid that doesn't speak any english but they can't get him any ESL support so she wasn't just going to let him sit there. Because she's a good selfless human, like most teachers.

This was lovely enough, but then even after that they stopped providing PPE around week 3 into in-person instruction. A lot of states let teachers put plexiglass or whatever that material is around the desks to shield them, not our state!

We're not done yet. Then parents hated the virtual learning so they started to send their kids back to in person, so her classroom which you couldn't social distance with 10 kids now has to be spaced for 18 kids.

She doesn't get paid enough or get enough respect for being a normal teacher, gently caress all of this.

gently caress Betsy DeVos, gently caress Trump, gently caress Ron Desantis in no particular order.

I'd kill to have the option of getting back the virtual learning. I can guarantee my kids being safe and that they're doing their work.

I've gotten 2 more messages in the last 3 days that one of my kids has been around 2 more kids that have the rona. It's been a poo poo year and it's getting worse. To compound matters, I think my ex wife is a "covid truther" now so that's fun.

Thank gently caress I have primary custody at least

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

All our universities and colleges in Finland are at this point shut down for at campus-events for anything other than mandatory stuff (labs, workshops, certified exams) at least until next May. If necessary to have anything at campus, masks are mandatory, hand sanitizers are everywhere and staff is advised to do absolutely everything from home. We are technically open, but we do not entertain any guests at campus, unless it is absolutely mandatory.

And because the academic year ends at May, the next time we will try normal courses will be in September 2021, regardless of the vaccine.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Starting the 16th Costco isn't going to allow anyone in without a mask. If you have a medical exemption (lol) you can go gently caress yourself because you're not getting in.

Only eight months late!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They were busy making toilet paper money.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

But I saw on FACEBOOK that COVID-19 means SEE SHEEP SURRENDER!!
By wearing a mask you might as well walk around saying baaa baa!!!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Rexxed posted:

Only eight months late!

I don't know of another company that requires 100% compliance with masks. They won't even let you in the doors if you aren't wearing one. That's been going on for months.

Try that at Walmart.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 13, 2020

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm a rapping Canadian
And I'm here to say
We're getting hosed by our leadership similar to what happened in the United States
In a major way

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I don't know of another company that requires 100% compliance with masks. They won't even let you in the doors if you aren't wearing one. That's been going on for months.

Try that at Walmart.

I'm in NJ so everyone at the supermarket I go to only once every two weeks seems to be masked up. There's plenty of plague bearers here but they're less obvious since the initial wave of cops fining and arresting people for disobeying the governor's orders.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Try that at Walmart.

Menards is in certain places, but not everywhere apparently

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Another Bill posted:

I'm a rapping Canadian

Please, no Tom MacDonald

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Excuse me sirs but I thought the virus was supposed to disappear after the election, could I perhaps speak to the manager of coronavirus

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

dwarf74 posted:

Excuse me sirs but I thought the virus was supposed to disappear after the election, could I perhaps speak to the manager of coronavirus

Sure thing Karen

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Zugzwang posted:

Yup.

He's also Tweeting now asking whether running a PCR test for enough cycles would eventually give a false positive. The answer is yes, which is why you don't run PCR tests for nearly enough cycles to give a false positive, lol

My understanding is one approach to a fast test that gives a middling chance of true positive (lots of false negative failures, say even 50%) is to do exactly what he did - a few high-probability failure tests equals an extremely high chance one will be positive. This cracks me up because its all the same logic as manufacturing yield type considerations, plays into engineering test results, etc, and that tweet sounds awfully surprised.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

PathAsc posted:

The US is loving awful
Trying to keep schools open, especially primary schools is a good thing!

Of course you have to sufficiently balance this out in other areas, which the US isn't even trying to.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

E: if the rest of the week's results are also up by that much then the US will hit +180k on Thursday or Friday. The first time they passed the +100k mark was Friday two weeks ago.

Currently sitting at +179,291 with a few states yet to report :whitewater:

E: China has only logged 86,307 cases this year, the US has doubled that in a single day. Also at this rate the US will git 200k/day next week and no other country has even hit 100k/day so far.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 14, 2020

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Delta-Wye posted:

My understanding is one approach to a fast test that gives a middling chance of true positive (lots of false negative failures, say even 50%) is to do exactly what he did - a few high-probability failure tests equals an extremely high chance one will be positive. This cracks me up because its all the same logic as manufacturing yield type considerations, plays into engineering test results, etc, and that tweet sounds awfully surprised.
Yup.

These tests all have a Limit of Detection that’s defined (by the FDA and other agencies) as the viral load that can be detected 95% of the time. Meaning, if you took 100 tests at the LoD viral load, you should get about 95 positives and 5 negatives.

You can still detect viral loads below that, just not as often. A little below the LoD might be 90% detection, half the LoD might be 60 or 70%, etc.

In other words, if Elon is shedding virus somewhat but not terribly far below the LoD, two positives and two negatives is a perfectly normal outcome from four tests.

You’d think he’d know some scientists he could ask about this instead of bitching about it on Twitter. Or that he could pay one to follow him around, since he’s supposedly worth $90+ billion now. But I guess not!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Rexxed posted:

I'm in NJ so everyone at the supermarket I go to only once every two weeks seems to be masked up. There's plenty of plague bearers here but they're less obvious since the initial wave of cops fining and arresting people for disobeying the governor's orders.

My point is that if you say you have COPD and can't medically wear a mask, then you still aren't going in. There's medical exceptions everywhere, which is stupid, states allow them but they don't care if you die if you wear a mask. You can't go in.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Philthy posted:

Made coffee this morning and as I looked out the window saw a parent taking his two kids to school.

What. The. gently caress.

As reckless as it seems for you as a childless person, its a fairly simple choice when confronted with "lose your job, have to go to food bank and likely get evicted in a month" or "let your kids go to school amid the pandemic"

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Zugzwang posted:

You’d think he’d know some scientists he could ask about this instead of bitching about it on Twitter. Or that he could pay one to follow him around, since he’s supposedly worth $90+ billion now. But I guess not!

It's the galaxy brain covid equivalent to tesla related gems like this tweet:

I thought he was trying to distract from the (bad) numbers, but maybe he just doesn't get how they work :iiam:

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
So some loving idiot I work with who also thinks flu shots are bullshit posted this with the caption "The company that a lot of people and governments are trusting to vaccine us. What a track record!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al-SZ7cii-g

Their website looks like obvious donation scamming "we are fighting the sheeple" bullshit but I just don't even have the energy right now to explain all of the reasons why this is idiotic. I know he will bring it up to me at work, he always does with poo poo like this and usually is willing to rethink things when obvious flaws are pointed out, but usually pushes back pretty hard on vaccination stuff. If anyone wants to help me out and make some bullet points or even a full on reasoned argument it might help me change a covidiots mind! I just don't have the energy tonight.

LonesomeCrowdedWest fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 14, 2020

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

All our universities and colleges in Finland are at this point shut down for at campus-events for anything other than mandatory stuff (labs, workshops, certified exams) at least until next May. If necessary to have anything at campus, masks are mandatory, hand sanitizers are everywhere and staff is advised to do absolutely everything from home. We are technically open, but we do not entertain any guests at campus, unless it is absolutely mandatory.

And because the academic year ends at May, the next time we will try normal courses will be in September 2021, regardless of the vaccine.

In the UK universities are still doing in-person teaching because if they don't they'll lose money (students are campaigning for some proportion of fees and accommodation costs back, because it's "not what they signed up for") and possibly go bust, but the government won't give them extra money to avoid this.

(Same seems to be the case for schools and colleges)

The gov has "recommended" to stop unnecessary in-person teaching, but not mandated it, so they don't have to stump up any cash to allow it to happen. Idiots.

In unrelated news, the case rate is highest among school and university age groups! :doh:

E: minor typo fixes

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

So some loving idiot I work with who also thinks flu shots are bullshit posted this with the caption "The company that a lot of people and governments are trusting to vaccine us. What a track record!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al-SZ7cii-g

Their website looks like obvious donation scamming "we are fighting the sheeple" bullshit but I just don't even have the energy right now to explain all of the reasons why this is idiotic. I know he will bring it up to me at work, he always does with poo poo like this and usually is willing to rethink things when obvious flaws are pointed out, but usually pushes back pretty hard on vaccination stuff. If anyone wants to help me out and make some bullet points or even a full on reasoned argument it might help me change a covidiots mind! I just don't have the energy tonight.

I've given up on arguing with people like that. Apparently Ticketmaster is considering making people who buy tickets either have a negative Covid result from the last couple days, or proof that they got a vaccine when it's available. the only source I can find for that is a tabloid, and even that says Ticketmaster is still just thinking about it, but that didn't stop my conspiracy loving co-worker to spend two whole days ranting about how now everyone is going to require a vaccine and it's going to be used to track us and blahblahblah. I used to try and have good faith arguments with the guy about that sort of thing, but I'm never going to convince him of anything. I've come to the conclusion that it's a waste of time and energy to even engage with him and I'm just going to come out of it angry, so why even bother.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Its a good time to stop bad ideas when they're being considered instead of after they're implemented

naem
May 29, 2011

people choosing not to get a vaccine once one exists will be a self correcting problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's really too bad that the United States sowed doubt among their population by giving them syphilis presented as vaccines for 40 entire years. What's that r word for what you do after you sow?