Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

The Bloop posted:

You can use SNAP benefits to buy a sapling fruit tree that won't bear meaningful food for a decade, but not a supermarket rotisserie chicken for your family's dinner unless it's a day old one

It's still a great program to support but gently caress is patriarchal and stupid

Dont diss the plant buying...i've grown a bunch of my own F&V thanks to buying plants on snap. I dont have a yard so I put some cheap cement mixing tubs on my balcony and grew a ton of tomatoes, potatoes, raspberries, and squash that def would have cost more than the seeds/plants they came from.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

can i buy this with snap

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gently caress this is part of loss isnt it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Raldikuk posted:

Yeah, which is why candy is ok but the rotisserie chicken in the heated case isn't ok. But the rotisserie chicken in the cold case is. It's not hard to figure out the rules but the rules are still stupid as all hell.

When you think about it, the whole store is heated in the winter and everything in it should be ineligible.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

holy poo poo lol. that’s a hoot.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cape grim indeed

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bismuth posted:

Dont diss the plant buying

I'm not but an awful lot of people can't exactly grow their own food in their shared fifth story apartment or whatever

I'm dissing the restrictions on the other end. Yes, SNAP is a farm bill compromise, but not everyone is going to be a farmer. The fact that fresh prepared food is banned but the same food a day old and cold is allowed is horseshit

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

one of these days its gonna be my turn for the big date night steak,

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
does cape grim sell a gay date night steak pack where they're the same size

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Bloop posted:

I'm not but an awful lot of people can't exactly grow their own food in their shared fifth story apartment or whatever

Buddy it sounds like you just need to ~urban farm~ harder.

Actually I'm surprised "make poor people urban farm" hasn't caught on as a bullshit talking point the same way "make poor people live in tiny houses" did, they're both deceptively expensive bougie hobbies that absolutely do not solve the problem but create a ton more, and only seem like a good idea if you don't think about them for longer than half a second and/or have liberal brain worms.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

cape grim indeed

That reminds me:

Imagine being the dude at the USPTO who gets to process the application to register "McNugget Sauce Lake®"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheMostFrench posted:

In Australia, some people feel that welfare is currently too good, and the reason that people "can't find jobs" is because they'd rather not work. Nothing to do with industries like agriculture (currently desperate for workers) taking advantage of immigrant workers, and not hiring local people because they would have to pay them properly.

It's pretty much the same in the US. I'd say the difference is that people are shamed and vilified for it at every level, and the politicians continue to cut it at every chance.

In conversation I've had people tell me that they qualify for some benefit and refuse to do so, and they're proud of it, because America!

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Iron Crowned posted:

It's pretty much the same in the US. I'd say the difference is that people are shamed and vilified for it at every level, and the politicians continue to cut it at every chance.

In conversation I've had people tell me that they qualify for some benefit and refuse to do so, and they're proud of it, because America!

Eh, there's something more there too, I feel. I went to a Korean War veterans convention with my grandfather once. Before they opened room for the general session the first morning, a person came out to the crowd of septuagenarian war veterans of the battle that resulted in the awarding of the most Medals of Honor in history, asking if anyone was disabled and needed a special accommodation to enter the room first. These old people in walkers, wheel chairs, and crutches looked around at each other and all agreed that none of them were disabled.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I think I mentioned it before but my one really conservative coworker talked about how fuckin' hard it was to get unemployment after he got laid off from his last job, and how much bullshit that was, and then like 10 seconds later after someone else described how it was intentionally that way to gently caress over poor people, he followed it up with "maybe people should just learn to be self-sufficient and stop looking for a handout then :smug:"

I know it sounds like stdh.txt but I legit impulsively blurted out "I'm going to punch you in the loving face" when he said that because it was just so infuriatingly stupid. Luckily he took that as a joke and didn't report me to HR or whatever but boy in that moment I was absolutely not kidding.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Iron Crowned posted:

I had someone tell me this in Canada, and it took a while but I eventually got them to understand that people using benefits is often good for the whole of society. it’s bad for everyone, even if you just look through the narrow economic lens, for someone to suffer in poverty or distress. I’m sure it didn’t change their major outlook on benefit-seekers, but for a moment it felt like victory.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mameluke posted:

does cape grim sell a gay date night steak pack where they're the same size

That would take all the fun out of Big Steak Wrestling

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

gay steaks? don't you mean tofu?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Iron Crowned posted:

Australian benefits are being cut in the middle of the pandemic and to earn them you have to go to work. Literally go to work to get unemployment. You don't get paid an actual wage for these jobs, just (hopefully) don't get your payment stopped.

You may be sorting donations at a warehouse drop off centre. Maybe it's cold calling people about some stupid bullshit to try get donations. Possibly even something as exciting as breaking down old pallets so they can be turned into pallets.

We're exceeding cruel with unemployment here.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

my state has a layer of food law stupidity on top of that where takeout gets taxed as groceries but dine-in gets taxed as the higher restaurant rate so if you order take-out and eat in a booth that's tax fraud

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Inceltown posted:

Possibly even something as exciting as breaking down old pallets so they can be turned into pallets.

That sounds like a cool job how do I get into that? Do you have to own your own crowbar?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

IAMKOREA posted:

That sounds like a cool job how do I get into that? Do you have to own your own crowbar?

gotta use your teeh & fingernails

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i would simply use a depalletizer

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

how long until the is just stops publishing numbers at all a la this tweet but for covid

https://twitter.com/tewhalen/status/1325277759954956288

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

inferis posted:

how long until the is just stops publishing numbers at all a la this tweet but for covid

I feel like this tweet is being misinterpreted

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Failed Imagineer posted:

I feel like this tweet is being misinterpreted

Yeah, it seems like a dig at going back to business as usual while the house burns down. Very few people in the comments getting the drift.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

inferis posted:

took me a second but I lol'd

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Honestly the Trump presidency feels more like the carbon monoxide alarm than the smoke alarm

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Shame Boy posted:

Buddy it sounds like you just need to ~urban farm~ harder.

Actually I'm surprised "make poor people urban farm" hasn't caught on as a bullshit talking point the same way "make poor people live in tiny houses" did, they're both deceptively expensive bougie hobbies that absolutely do not solve the problem but create a ton more, and only seem like a good idea if you don't think about them for longer than half a second and/or have liberal brain worms.

Urban farming isnt that expensive, unless that term means something other than what I'm up to which is possible. The main reason I bet its not pushed is because HOAs loving hate people doing anything other than maintaining pristine magazine-quality homefronts/yards/balconies because if they cant control every aspect of your life inside and out of your house their genitals shrivel up and fall off. Im pretty sure my poo poo has been ignored because our HOA is currently foaming over parking but when thats over my garbage bins of dirt are probably next on their list.

Man i fcking hate HOAs so much and I REALLY hate people who say "if you hate HOAs just move somewhere that doesnt have them" or "you AGREED to follow their rules by moving there" bitch, the only places around here that arent under HOAs are houses on land in the middle of nowhere that we cant afford. If you live within city limits at all theres an HOA and they will charge you $200 a month ontop of rent for the privilege of getting letters rubber banded to your door saying they have photos of you putting your recycling bin on the wrong side of the driveway and they're going to bring up charges. I dont really understand how HOAs are legal and if I was ever going to go into politics it would be with the singular goal of obliterating them.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
We took the battery out of the alarm because the chirping was annoying Number.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

look if i want to douse myself in gasoline and open my large tank full of pure O2 its my freedom to do so. *lights joint*

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bismuth posted:

Urban farming isnt that expensive

It’s expensive on a societal scale, in that the space taken up by garden could have a multistorey building on it, housing many people, with all the benefits that density brings to transportation and other services.

But as long as the yards are there, growing food in them is a better use than growing grass.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Platystemon posted:

It’s expensive on a societal scale, in that the space taken up by garden could have a multistorey building on it, housing many people, with all the benefits that density brings to transportation and other services.

But as long as the yards are there, growing food in them is a better use than growing grass.

No no the idea of urban farming is you grow farm plants on your building roof or better yet in your apartment in thousand-dollar hydroponic/aeroponic setups

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Platystemon posted:

Oh I thought you meant like growing potatoes and corn in an old washtub on your meager apartment balcony

Maybe if people could keep working from home we could have fewer office buildings and use that space for homes, and stop building new gated communities on farmland

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bismuth posted:

Oh I thought you meant like growing potatoes and corn in an old washtub on your meager apartment balcony

Maybe if people could keep working from home we could have fewer office buildings and use that space for homes, and stop building new gated communities on farmland

Counterpoint: farmers are jerks, destroy all the farmland and feed everyone algae

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You can grow potatoes in a dirt bag with slits in it. Not very many potatoes but :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shame Boy posted:

No no the idea of urban farming is you grow farm plants on your building roof or better yet in your apartment in thousand-dollar hydroponic/aeroponic setups

Oh yeah those suggestions are as technically flawed as solar roadways but now with Individualism™.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Shame Boy posted:

Counterpoint: farmers are jerks, destroy all the farmland and feed everyone algae

Well i live in a super fertile agricultural area on top of uniquely good soil so I think it would be cool if it wasnt entirely paved over, and we also produce loads of nice nuts and berries which are already expensive but affordable if you buy directly from the farm

There are loads of empty lots and abandoned buildings around, idk why they cant develop on them instead of leaving them bare and decaying while paving all the arable land. They even already have roads and utilities, and are pre-flattened, it seems like it would be cheaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bismuth posted:

Well i live in a super fertile agricultural area on top of uniquely good soil so I think it would be cool if it wasnt entirely paved over, and we also produce loads of nice nuts and berries which are already expensive but affordable if you buy directly from the farm

There are loads of empty lots and abandoned buildings around, idk why they cant develop on them instead of leaving them bare and decaying while paving all the arable land. They even already have roads and utilities, and are pre-flattened, it seems like it would be cheaper

Do any people who aren't rich and "white"* live anywhere near those empty lots and abandoned buildings?

*) Or whoever are the main oppressors wherever it is you live.