Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I liked how Big Mom's reaction to Marco's smug "MY fire is different" was just IMMEDIATELY putting him in a choke hold to line up a kill shot.

Big Mom: Still the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kinda sad Usopp and Nami jobbed offscreen! I get we have to breeze through these minor fights but its still generally disappointing in some aspects, especially if both of them are already out of the fight.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

rannum posted:

I liked how Big Mom's reaction to Marco's smug "MY fire is different" was just IMMEDIATELY putting him in a choke hold to line up a kill shot.

Big Mom: Still the best

Perospero pointing out that "dude blew himself up and I lost an arm, don't call me his killer" is :discourse:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

mabels big day posted:

Kinda sad Usopp and Nami jobbed offscreen! I get we have to breeze through these minor fights but its still generally disappointing in some aspects, especially if both of them are already out of the fight.
is this your first time reading a one piece fight or something? you think it’s all done???

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cat Machine posted:

is this your first time reading a one piece fight or something? you think it’s all done???

Yeah this is basically the exact setup that was used multiple times in Enies Lobby where at various points we cut to Nami, Usopp and even Sanji seemingly defeated at the feet of their respective opponents only for something to intervene and give them an opportunity to swap opponents or regain the upper hand.

It's a technique Oda uses a lot, instead of spending time showing the heroes lose ground and end up on their back foot, just cut right to them already on their back foot and show the more interesting part of them rallying.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
cant wait for zoro to bust out his newest technique:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
the shitoryuu...

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Death Bot posted:

the shitoryuu...

:golfclap:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Someone find a food pun involving a thunderclap

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

i flunked out posted:

cant wait for zoro to bust out his newest technique:

How would this work with Ashura?

Or should I say.............

rear end-shura

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
That was definitely not the kunoichi I was expecting when I read the chapter name.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

You don’t look like you’re looking so good rn my dude.

He's trying his best. He'll do something cool soon...probably :smith:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah this is basically the exact setup that was used multiple times in Enies Lobby where at various points we cut to Nami, Usopp and even Sanji seemingly defeated at the feet of their respective opponents only for something to intervene and give them an opportunity to swap opponents or regain the upper hand.

It's a technique Oda uses a lot, instead of spending time showing the heroes lose ground and end up on their back foot, just cut right to them already on their back foot and show the more interesting part of them rallying.

We get to see the start of those fights, though.

I am pretty glad Nami got a more serious "Luffy will be Pirate King!" moment. I think now Robin is the only Straw Hat not to do it yet.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 14, 2020

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

TheLoneStar posted:

I am pretty glad Nami got a more serious "Luffy will be Pirate King!" moment. I think now Robin is the only Straw Hat not to do it yet.

we also almost NEVER see nami drawn battered and bloody, especially not in the past like 10 years as best i can remember. that was a great chapter emotionally

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 14, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TheLoneStar posted:

tbp posted:

we also almost NEVER see nami drawn battered and bloody, especially not in the past like 10 years as best i can remember. that was a great chapter emotionally

Reminder to not post about the new chapter without spoiler tags until the official English translation comes out.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

oh yes im sorry i just get really excited sometimes, i promise despite being an idiot i am not malintentioned my nakamas..

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

tbp posted:

It was shocking to see. I think the last we saw her THIS injured was maybe Enies Lobby?

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.
This SHOULDN'T be controversial, but to some it is. I'm gonna go ahead and say it: Wano's the most important arc so far. :p It just is. This is all clearly setting up the Straw Hats, the main protagonists, to undergo struggle and suffering like never before, and learn from it and persevere and come out the other side a Yonkou caliber crew. Nami's moment in this chapter is just so well-done and heart-wrenching. She could have just done a Weakling Trio type thing and lied, but she believes enough to die for it, a huge theme in One Piece. I'd like to also mention that Luffy and Zoro haven't injured King or Queen yet, let alone Kaido, and yet they already have battle scratches... Yikes. That alone worries me tons for the good guys.

Marco vs Big Mom was entertaining. Funnily enough he's actually a pretty big deal, the Gorosei mentioned him in 594, and when those motherfuckers mention you, you know you a real one. His fruit's insanely powerful so that does make sense.

I really wish in an ideal world an admiral would be defeated before a Yonkou by the Straw Hats, just like I wish a Vice Admiral was a main boss in a pre-timeskip arc, but it's splitting hairs in the face of some astonishingly good fiction.

Demonicpoodle fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 14, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tbp posted:

oh yes im sorry i just get really excited sometimes, i promise despite being an idiot i am not malintentioned my nakamas..

We're all comrades watching Josef become the pirate king itt. His eventual meet up with Lenin is going to be great

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Demonicpoodle posted:

This SHOULDN'T be controversial, but to some it is. I'm gonna go ahead and say it: Wano's the most important arc so far. :p It just is. This is all clearly setting up the Straw Hats, the main protagonists, to undergo struggle and suffering like never before, and learn from it and persevere and come out the other side a Yonkou caliber crew. Nami's moment in this chapter is just so well-done and heart-wrenching. She could have just done a Weakling Trio type thing and lied, but she believes enough to die for it, a huge theme in One Piece. I'd like to also mention that Luffy and Zoro haven't injured King or Queen yet, let alone Kaido, and yet they already have battle scratches... Yikes. That alone worries me tons for the good guys.

Marco vs Big Mom was entertaining. Funnily enough he's actually a pretty big deal, the Gorosei mentioned him in 594, and when those motherfuckers mention you, you know you a real one. His fruit's insanely powerful so that does make sense.

I really wish in an ideal world an admiral would be defeated before a Yonkou by the Straw Hats, just like I wish a Vice Admiral was a main boss in a pre-timeskip arc, but it's splitting hairs in the face of some astonishingly good fiction.

The problem is that Vice Admirals are insanely negligible in terms of power scaling. You have people like Garp and Tsuru who are ludicrously strong and able to confront some of the heaviest hitters in the New World. Then you have people like Stainless who was commissioned to capture...Buggy. Oh, and let's not forget the impressive Vice Admiral Maynard whose claim to fame was getting off-screened by Bartolomeo.

But we also have guys pretty firmly in the middle like Momonga. The guy who went to send the summons to Boa Hancock and murdered a Sea King from the inside-out on the way there.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ya I'm sure Koby is stronger than some Vice admirals.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I thought Tsuru's claim to fame was being a brilliant tactician over raw strength. There's her Devil Fruit but who knows exactly how that poo poo works.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
barto has one of the most op devil fruits to be fair

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

TheLoneStar posted:

I thought Tsuru's claim to fame was being a brilliant tactician over raw strength. There's her Devil Fruit but who knows exactly how that poo poo works.

Doflamingo decided to GTFO when he heard Tsuru had arrived to apprehend him during Law's flashback. Abandoned all attempts to retrieve both Law and the Op-Op Fruit, just dropped everything and ran away.

And this is the guy who stomped Smoker in seconds, and didn't back down in front of former-Admiral Aokiji until he got his sorry rear end frozen.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

Scratchman Apoo posted:

The problem is that Vice Admirals are insanely negligible in terms of power scaling. You have people like Garp and Tsuru who are ludicrously strong and able to confront some of the heaviest hitters in the New World. Then you have people like Stainless who was commissioned to capture...Buggy. Oh, and let's not forget the impressive Vice Admiral Maynard whose claim to fame was getting off-screened by Bartolomeo.

But we also have guys pretty firmly in the middle like Momonga. The guy who went to send the summons to Boa Hancock and murdered a Sea King from the inside-out on the way there.

Exactly! They vary widely. The "issue" also is I just couldn't see a guy like Momonga being able to draw up much drama for an arc. Still! If it was somehow handled well I would've loved to see it pre-timeskip, it would've let the giant chasm of power with the admirals feel more tangible.

And I've said this before, but we already knew the Admirals were monsters, and they're now way stronger than that now that we know they can use Advanced Invisible Armament.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Then you have people like Stainless who was commissioned to capture...Buggy.

The world at large thinks Buggy is a more subtle Shanks, and his organization contains dudes like that giant gladiator that joined the Strawhat Armada. Stainless is probably a medium sized gun for a vice admiral.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Garp isn't actually a vice admiral to be fair, he's on the level of full admirals (or was at least) just never accepted the promotion

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Caidin posted:

The world at large thinks Buggy is a more subtle Shanks, and his organization contains dudes like that giant gladiator that joined the Strawhat Armada. Stainless is probably a medium sized gun for a vice admiral.

Yeah Buggy Delivery probably became huge and full of heavyweights after Marineford from what we saw of it?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

something kinda interesting is that its implied there are people on the absurd level of the admirals scattered throughout the world, not explicitly allied with them nor opposed to them (pirates, revolutionaries, etc.) it was said that fujitora and green bull were conscripted after marineford, not promoted. it actually does make the world feel quite a bit larger, even bigger than the vast amounts we get to see on screen

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

I figured the WG did a whole intelligence investigation to find the strongest candidates and asked them to try out or just had some kind of competition

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

They expressly turned down two admiral candidates from within their own ranks so Fujitora and Green Bull must've given a drat good first impression.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Strelok604 posted:

I figured the WG did a whole intelligence investigation to find the strongest candidates and asked them to try out or just had some kind of competition

yeah i imagine they actively keep tabs on really strong people that just dont care about being pirates. people like guards of kings, bounty hunters, etc, just in case they defect.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

tbp posted:

something kinda interesting is that its implied there are people on the absurd level of the admirals scattered throughout the world, not explicitly allied with them nor opposed to them (pirates, revolutionaries, etc.) it was said that fujitora and green bull were conscripted after marineford, not promoted. it actually does make the world feel quite a bit larger, even bigger than the vast amounts we get to see on screen

Makes sense to me. Not every incredibly strong dude in the world is gonna go out to sea or get involved in marine or pirate shenanigans. Oden was about that level and he could've easily spent his whole life on Wano. Even taking it down a notch, going to the Reverie was the only time Kyros has ever left Dressrosa, I think. There's probably some old dude running a dojo back on Karate Island or somewhere that could kick Katakuri's rear end.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I really like the "ex-coworkers who hate each other" energy between X Drake and Apoo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Rereading Thriller Bark really hits different now that we’re actually at the Kaido fight. I don’t think Moria ever says anything derogatory towards his old crew when he talks about his giant zombie island plans, which means he probably actually liked them. :( And now we know that Kaido spreads misery and carnage wherever he goes, and the fact that it largely feels like a byproduct of his everyday Emperor life rather than outright planning to take advantage of death and destruction like Crocodile is even more horrific.

Wonder if we’re gonna get a Luffy/Moria alliance after Wano’s done.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Moria's character makes sense when you realize that his adventuring days lasted at most a year before Kaidou slaughtered his crew. No wonder he went to seed (Still got a Warlord job tho.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Funky Valentine posted:

Moria's character makes sense when you realize that his adventuring days lasted at most a year before Kaidou slaughtered his crew. No wonder he went to seed (Still got a Warlord job tho.)

Moria was a Warlord before he lost to Kaido.

Edit: My mistake he was not. I mixed him up with Crocodile who was a Warlord before losing to Whitebeard.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 15, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Funky Valentine posted:

They expressly turned down two admiral candidates from within their own ranks so Fujitora and Green Bull must've given a drat good first impression.

It's crazy to me we still know gently caress all about Green Bull. Do we even know what they look like?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
We know that he hasn't eaten in 3 years and he would only accept being fed if it was a woman spoonfeeding him.

He seems pretty weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Scratchman Apoo posted:

We know that he hasn't eaten in 3 years and he would only accept being fed if it was a woman spoonfeeding him.

He seems pretty weird.

I mean, tbh if Sanji heard of someone doing that he would make it his immediate new life’s dream to live the rest of his life like that so it’s pretty mundane imho.