Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Also I want to point out that being a ghost comes with the awesome perk of being able to make any entrance to a room menacing and imposing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've been playing a bunch of hades lately and guerra totally has Hades' voice now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MikeJF posted:

I've been playing a bunch of hades lately and guerra totally has Hades' voice now.
:hmmyes:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Max: Dead mom and worst of all, nerd dad
Ed: mom's trapped in a horrifying mind seal, dad is who even knows but probably not great!
Isabelle: Divorced mom & dad, also a ghost grandpa

Can't wait to see where will Issac fall on the parental drama spectrum; I kind of hope he just has completely normie parents, feels like the right kind of swerve for Living Anime Protagonist

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Isaac has a single mother with a braid.

She will never be in any danger whatsoever, which Isaac will be conflicted about, because dead mothers are an extremely important part of Being An Anime.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Isaac will have a JRPG mom who just hands him lunch every morning and tells him to avoid the long grass.

as soon as he leaves the house she starts her day job of vigilante mafia hunter

e: the paranatural epilogue comic shows her marrying Max's dad

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

rannum posted:

Can't wait to see where will Issac fall on the parental drama spectrum; I kind of hope he just has completely normie parents, feels like the right kind of swerve for Living Anime Protagonist

Isaac's parents are mentioned to NOT be spectrals ('maybe Isaac can share some excuses he's used' when talking about the barrier around Mayview), and I fear that he may not have the BEST relationship with them based on his blow-up at Isabel ('JUST SAY YOU RESENT ME! I KNOW WHAT THAT LOOKS LIKE!'), but that's just guessing at this point.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

There is an update!

Also, Guerra being a ghost explains his disdain for tools to some degree, knowing what we know about their hypothetical effects on ghosts if one were to use such.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Link to the update
Well then, Garcia and Spender went back further than I suspected but the comic has gone on so long I don't remember if they were implied to have known each other longer than a couple years. Good on the elder Guerra not wanting the wolfboy to live in a tent, cave, whatever.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That's assuming they are talking about Garcia and Spender doesn't just have a thing for rugged men.

I guess with Spender's sister now in the picture it's good to get some context for his family.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Goddamn, Guerra is starting to become downright likeable. An exceedingly harsh taskmaster who needs a chill pill, but likeable.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
This is past Guerra, though; there's certainly a lot of time to the present for him to get shittier

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gramps is the kind of person who will always be there for you but won't do anything to make you like it.

In his role as Isabel's guardian he's an abject failure, but I think he already knows that himself - hence trying to get Amy to be her full-time mother.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

flatluigi posted:

This is past Guerra, though; there's certainly a lot of time to the present for him to get shittier

I dunno. Seems pretty close to current Guerra- generally wants good things for everyone and is a fountain of wisdom, but is arrogant as hell about that fact, demands the best FROM everyone to the point people crumple under the pressure he exerts, and while his ends are laudable, his means are abusive, self-serving, and cruel, making the path to said ends all but untreadable.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

let Spencer's past boyfriend be an anprim ghost grandpa

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

PMush Perfect posted:

Goddamn, Guerra is starting to become downright likeable. An exceedingly harsh taskmaster who needs a chill pill, but likeable.

Maybe it's just the flashback exposition talking, but it seems to me he's doing a fair bit of reminding people that "I am clearly better than these terrible people in your life, therefore you should consider me a good person."

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Huh, wait. Amy is reacting to her Father and Spender talking to each other, so I guess she is a spectral as well? (unless this is a fakeout and she is reacting to someone/something else, this wouldn't be a first time this kind of thing happened in Paranatural....)

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

Huh, wait. Amy is reacting to her Father and Spender talking to each other, so I guess she is a spectral as well? (unless this is a fakeout and she is reacting to someone/something else, this wouldn't be a first time this kind of thing happened in Paranatural....)

She's asking what they're talking about because she's only getting half the conversation. She can hear Spender, but not Master Guerra.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

amy. they're talking about cute boys, the #1 gossip topic ever.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Yeah I think she was prompted to butt in by seeing Isabel’s discomfort and wanting to intervene, but she’s probably only aware her father in law is there due to Spender talking.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
"I don't need any of the things they won't give me" is such an Isaac line. No wonder their dynamic is like this. Oh Rick. :smith:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i mean :same:

It's bad parents o' clock

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Anyone else feel like Spender was rejected by a homophobic family?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Bonster posted:

I think that's a pretty straightfoward conclusion.

It also kind of explains a lot about him.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
"I've got a sixth sense for sass!" :allears:
Mama knows best

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, this page answers what I was wondering two pages ago: "How is he able to hold that ladle?"

Also, this is our first glimpse at Francisco's (lack of) legs, though we knew what was down there at this point.

(More seriously, looking at the last page again for a moment, Francisco's comment about Spender's anger diluting his skill reminds me of Lucifer saying something similar about his emotions diluting his purpose or something.)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

must have been Fun Times at the Guerra household when one of their students dies within the next 6 years

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Roland Jones posted:

Well, this page answers what I was wondering two pages ago: "How is he able to hold that ladle?"

Yeah, we see the guy's legs as he's kneeling so he's not dead yet. The ladle being haunted is just a happy coincidence.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bonster posted:

Rand Brittain posted:

I think that's a pretty straightfoward conclusion.

It also kind of explains a lot about him.
Yeah, that tracks. :hmmyes:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

rannum posted:

must have been Fun Times at the Guerra household when one of their students dies within the next 6 years

Could be an unrelated incident, and he just keeps showing up for training because Guerra is that fearsome

"Oh yeah, he died in a car accident a year ago, but he can't move on to the afterlife until he finishes his training"

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Mr. Guerra sure is getting a lot of character redemption in this flashback! https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-7-page-27 Also lol Ed

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Spender really is trying to be that cool uncle. "Edutained" :allears:

Fecha posted:

Mr. Guerra sure is getting a lot of character redemption in this flashback! https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-7-page-27 Also lol Ed
I never really thought he was terrible, just the gruff Martial Arts old guy stereotype. But he really is getting a much warmer view in the story. If spender cries, destroy him got a chuckle out of me

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Excited to find out how horribly wrong the camping trip goes

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Sure hope a horribly powerful storm spirit doesn't roll into their camp!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This is before Isabel got chomped -- you can tell because Ed is holding the family dog.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is before Isabel got chomped
Oh. I thought when she said "no more stitches" she was referring to the dog incident. Apparently that hasn't happened yet :(

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I think it's actually after since Amy talks about no more stitches. The dog attack is described as the first time she really got hurt. Actually, reading back in that flashback, she talks about being unable to form constructs and being a crybaby before she got Eightfold which seems to match this Isabel.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is before Isabel got chomped -- you can tell because Ed is holding the family dog.

Did they actually end up selling him?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The family dog was a pomeranian (& assumedly from when they weren't divorced), that dog is a shiba anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ricky is a great driver!

Guess he hasn't bought those gloves yet.