Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Fall of the New Age is the next Indiegala Freebie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_dfMDVgL74

Also, not on the Freebies page, but Cubiscape 2 has been added to the Showcase page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7KJeWKo_20

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Stickman posted:

Two more 100% off codes from Reddit for Big Fish Games:

FREEGAME286055 (this one might be expired)
FREEGAME839724

I still don't know what's good, though!

Last time there were freebies I grabbed a bunch fully intending to ignore them like every other free game I get on Epic or Steam, but I was off work for a few days and bored out of my skull so I picked up one of the hidden object games for a trial run. They are really good for what they are.

I stuck with mostly horror/mystery ones as it was close to halloween. Some quick reviews:

Maze: Subject 360 was the first one I tried, and it was surprisingly engaging. I'd never played a hidden object game before, but they seem like a natural progression of the old point-and-click adventure games that I loved so much as a kid, interspersed with images that you look around for a list of items. In this one, the main character crashes her car on a lonely stretch of road and ends up in a town where all of the inhabitants are trapped in an unwakeable sleep. It's your goal to try to figure out what happened and get the hell out of dodge while avoiding the creepy supernatural little girl. Not the most original story, and it doesn't get too heavy, but it's quite fun. Apparently there's a ton of entries in this series, which also seems true of EVERY game in their catalogue. I get the impression they pump them out really quickly, which is partially why I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the game. I don't know that I'd have been happy to pay twenty bucks for it, but I still don't think I'd feel ripped off at that price tag either; there's a lot of content here, with bonus games and collectibles and the like.

Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil was the next I tried, and while I didn't like it as much as the previous game, I'm not sure how much of that was just because of how new and unexpected the first game was for me. This one is also quite good, and seems to be a very long-running series for the devs. You play as a world-renowned detective, and you find yourself investigating a town that has the population aging extremely quickly. It's an interesting enough narrative, but again doesn't go into anything too heavy, although there was some pretty interesting spooky imagery. This one seemed to lean a bit heavier on the hidden object scenes rather than puzzles like the previous game, but this might again be a biased position from the surprise the first one was.

Phantasmat was the next I played, although I stupidly got the regular edition rather than the collector's one that I linked. Not sure what the difference would be, but there were less side games and bonus content, with no collectibles, so that's probably it. Another main character crashing a car in a strange place only to find themselves in a supernatural situation, this time in a strange hotel in the middle of the woods. This game definitely had a bigger focus on the hidden object scenes rather than the point-and-click stuff, which isn't as fun for me, but the narrative of this one is probably the strongest. Not exactly subtle in its approach, it would feel right at home with a Goosebumps book or an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark? or something, but fun enough.

And that's all I've tried so far. I have two more downloaded and ready to go, but maybe I'll try a non-hidden-object one next.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Victor Vran may not be my kind of game but it is fun to say really quickly

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Big Fish does have a few normal games on there, but you might as well go hidden object / match-3 / time-management if you're getting something from them. I've never tried a modern time-management game, but anything that added more than 10 seconds of plot between the levels would be atrocious. I do like old-school time-management sometimes for sheer brainless clickery - Airport Mania and the original Build-A-Lot are good choices.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Contract with the Devil is the next Indiegala freebie. Another HOG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWx2W1aUTXs

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

FanaticalMilk posted:

Next week's game is gonna be Wargame: Red Dragon.

Did this actually happen and I completely miss it? Or did it get replaced by something else?

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Got replaced by Dungeons 3. Which is leaving in a few hours I think.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hmm I don't remember seeing Wargame there at all either.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

webmeister posted:

Did this actually happen and I completely miss it? Or did it get replaced by something else?

https://twitter.com/epicgames/status/1323362111125336065

No idea what temporarily means though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

It means the game don't work most likely.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Skwirl posted:

It means the game don't work most likely.

They may have delayed it because of Armistice Day

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Catzilla posted:

They may have delayed it because of Armistice Day

It took them until the week before to remember something that's been recognized every year for over a century?

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Skwirl posted:

It took them until the week before to remember something that's been recognized every year for over a century?

I can believe that. These things are probably planned far in advance and nobody noticed the war game was being offered around that time.
I’m also not sure how big Armistice day is outside of the UK/commonwealth.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Catzilla posted:

I can believe that. These things are probably planned far in advance and nobody noticed the war game was being offered around that time.

Veterans day was Monday in the US, a huge chunk of the country got the day off work and another chunk had to work when they wouldn't because their store has a big sale.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Skwirl posted:

Veterans day was Monday in the US, a huge chunk of the country got the day off work and another chunk had to work when they wouldn't because their store has a big sale.

Veterans Day is always on 11/11

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
So is Skyrim Day.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
US universities public universities were open, mostly. I grew up in the UK and obviously 11/11/18 is a huge day in Britain, France and elsewhere in Europe, but I always assumed it had a lesser importance in the US because the US was a late entrant into WW1, didn't suffer the apalling casualties of other countries and also the war didn't actually reach North America.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We still celebrate veterans day by letting every lard rear end in the military wander around town and demand free food from restaurants. I stopped getting free food because 1. The free thing they offer usually sucks, and 2. Seeing the people I worked with go to restaurants all day to try to get free food to go was embarrassing.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Textorcist is free on EGS this week

Next week is Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Veterans Day in the US began as a remembrance of Armistice Day, but then it evolved to celebrate and remember all military veterans. The other major military remembrance day we have is Memorial Day, for those who died during their service :eng101:

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Kill 'Em All is the next Indiegala Freebie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjGM28_aCSU

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Veterans Day in the US began as a remembrance of Armistice Day, but then it evolved to celebrate and remember all military veterans. The other major military remembrance day we have is Memorial Day, for those who died during their service :eng101:

Don't forget Labor day. The day that some use to celebrate the labor the military does.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ratmtattat posted:

Don't forget Labor day. The day that some use to celebrate the labor the military does.

I don't think I've ever seen labor day used in that way. It's mostly just a confusion between what veterans day and memorial day are for. I'm always having to tell people that I'm not dead yet on memorial day.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

hey guys, let's give away games to drive traffic and enhance our branding -- people will associate our site with fun!

said no one ever at indiegala

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

repiv posted:

The Textorcist is free on EGS this week

Thanks! It's one of those fringe games that I almost always buy but never do.

That said, I fired it up and the story is...uh...cringe...isn't it?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Catzilla posted:

National holiday in France

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
For the next 48 hours or so Teleglitch: Die More Edition is free on GoG.

https://www.gog.com/game/teleglitch_die_more_edition

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ilmucche posted:

National holiday in France

Understandable. The death toll that France suffered in the Great War was staggering. They hadn't recovered by the time '39 rolled around. People love to take the piss out of France's failures in World War 2, but it's hard to wage war when one doesn't have any soldiers.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

For the next 48 hours or so Teleglitch: Die More Edition is free on GoG.

https://www.gog.com/game/teleglitch_die_more_edition

Teleglitch is really really loving hard, but it's also a fun and cool game. I never got to the end but it's got a great moody style and fun lore and tight gameplay. Definitely recommend this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

Understandable. The death toll that France suffered in the Great War was staggering. They hadn't recovered by the time '39 rolled around. People love to take the piss out of France's failures in World War 2, but it's hard to wage war when one doesn't have any soldiers.

Didn't like the average height of an adult Frenchman drop several inches between the wars because both a lack of access to meat and the only healthy Frenchmen who didn't get drafted were the one's too short to qualify?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

aniviron posted:

Teleglitch is really really loving hard, but it's also a fun and cool game. I never got to the end but it's got a great moody style and fun lore and tight gameplay. Definitely recommend this.

I only played the free version, but having to hold down one mouse button (for aiming, I think?) a lot wasn't great for RSI, either. It's worth a play for sure and comes with the soundtrack on GOG, so hey, free music.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Skwirl posted:

Didn't like the average height of an adult Frenchman drop several inches between the wars because both a lack of access to meat and the only healthy Frenchmen who didn't get drafted were the one's too short to qualify?

I cannot confim or deny this, to be honest.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm well aware, was just tossing it out there in response to the goon saying they weren't sure if armstice day was important outside of the commonwealth :p

end of ww2 is a national holiday as well

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ilmucche posted:

end of ww2 is a national holiday as well

VE or VJ day?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Can't imagine the french would care much for vj day

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
GOG are giving away Butcher for another 48 hours or so.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Showing Tonight: Mindhunters Incident, another Big Fish HOG is the next Indiegala Freebie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dbVI1i-IsE

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door are free on EGS this week

Next week is MudRunner

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Ironcast, a steampunk mech match 3 puzzle game, has been added to Twitch Gaming today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHv1Uw0rNA0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I can vouch for Ironcast being worth the time to try out. The systems are good and the presentation also holds up. The main puzzle is very similar to Puzzle & Dragons, the theme is Victorian times steam powered mech battles, and the base gameplay loop is pretty much what you'd expect from a roguelite. Power up your mech by doing well over a short series of battles to try and take out the final boss.