Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Guilliman explicitly is the best statesman out of the primarchs, its why he basically had his own empire going on.

He may not be super charismatic, but he knows what he needs and what he needs to say to get poo poo done politically.

At least one chapter that split off the Ultramarines has/had Governance as one of their main duties.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
A Spacemarine that isn't crazy would probably make a suprisingly good governor considering they don't have much in the way of worldly desires and they're nigh impossible for most normal means of assasination other than a melta cannon strike to the head/chest.

Although that could be fixed by putting them in a dreadnaught.

Dreadnaught spacemarine for governor, takes out paperwork and inefficencies likes he takes out traitor trash.

Damit now I want fanart of one at a fancy desk trying to do paperwork with big grippers. "Karen bring in my five o'clock appointment".

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

SugarAddict posted:

A Spacemarine that isn't crazy

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

SugarAddict posted:

A Spacemarine that isn't crazy would probably make a suprisingly good governor considering they don't have much in the way of worldly desires and they're nigh impossible for most normal means of assasination other than a melta cannon strike to the head/chest.

Dreadnaught spacemarine for governor, takes out paperwork and inefficencies likes he takes out traitor trash.

Damit now I want fanart of one at a fancy desk trying to do paperwork with big grippers. "Karen bring in my five o'clock appointment".

In the current setting they still kinda suck to live under (and some of them realize this) because they are 100% focused on the greater eternal warplan against Chaos,orks,tyranids and the like.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

A spacemarine that has problems that are manageable.

Gothsheep posted:

To be fair, 'Kind of sucks to live under' would still make for one of the better situations for 99% of the Imperium.

This is true.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

In the current setting they still kinda suck to live under (and some of them realize this) because they are 100% focused on the greater eternal warplan against Chaos,orks,tyranids and the like.

To be fair, 'Kind of sucks to live under' would still make for one of the better situations for 99% of the Imperium.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

IIRC, the Ultramarines realm/sub-sector that is Ultramar (lol) is a way better place than the Imperium at-large

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well was until Nurgle decided to come knocking in the wake of the Great Rift opening. Now it's only mostly good.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cooked Auto posted:

Well was until Nurgle decided to come knocking in the wake of the Great Rift opening. Now it's only mostly good.

Hive-Fleet Behemoth also did a number on it.

Tip: Don't name one of your planets Prandium. Latin for 'lunch.' :v:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Hive-Fleet Behemoth also did a number on it.

Tip: Don't name one of your planets Prandium. Latin for 'lunch.' :v:

"Mamma, why is our planet named 'Hapless Victims'?"

"They say the Emperor himself named our world after based on a vision he had."

"Oh. Oh...."

"Yeah. Let me show you the hard drugs I use to get through the day."

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The Codex Astartes prescribes free time, but given the psychological conditioning Space Marines have most of them don't know what to do.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

White Coke posted:

The Codex Astartes prescribes free time, but given the psychological conditioning Space Marines have most of them don't know what to do.

There are weird chapter specific hobbies, Space Wolves revel and hunt, Salamanders gently caress around in the forge or their village, one chapter scrimshaws, etc etc.

I think the generic thing they do is either more meditation/prayer and more training though.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 14, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Blood Angels paint and sculpt. They're kind of like Emperor's Children but with a lot more restraint when it comes to wanting to achieve perfection.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Blood Ravens probably admire their wargear collections. Storm Wardens definitely Caber Toss.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Blood Ravens probably admire their wargear collections. Storm Wardens definitely Caber Toss.

I bet Space Marines have to replace the logs with I-beams.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Gothsheep posted:

I bet Space Marines have to replace the logs with I-beams.

Nah, they have a hold full of trees from their home planet that are only used for the caber toss ritual.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

SugarAddict posted:

Counterpoint: Space Marines fight. That's all they do, and that's all they want to do. If they aren't fighting or on their way to the next fight, they tend to go stir-crazy, or meditate themselves into a coma.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

IMJack posted:

Counterpoint: Space Marines fight. That's all they do, and that's all they want to do. If they aren't fighting or on their way to the next fight, they tend to go stir-crazy, or meditate themselves into a coma.

Not really, even if we take Primarchs out of the equation (Many of them absolutely did not want to join the Crusade and fight) there is at least one Chapter (White Counsels) who hold governance really high up there. Its honestly entirely chapter dependent, but Ultramarine successors absolutely do not think thats the only thing Marines are for.

There are many chapters who entire thing is they want to get stuck in though, yeah. And maybe the Ultrmarines and their successors views on their own roles is a byproduct of who Gulliman is.

Its a huge debate in the lore too honestly.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 14, 2020

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Cooked Auto posted:

Blood Angels paint and sculpt. They're kind of like Emperor's Children but with a lot more restraint when it comes to wanting to achieve perfection.

Having non-violent hobbies probably helps control the Red Thirst and Black Rage.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

White Coke posted:

Having non-violent hobbies probably helps control the Red Thirst and Black Rage.

They make art for the joy of making art, to remind themselves that they are more than savage killers.

They're lying to themselves, but it helps. Without Sanguinious around they'll never be completely in control.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Blood ravens expand their wargear collection as their hobby

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Veloxyll posted:

Blood ravens expand their wargear collection as their hobby

That's not a hobby, that's part of their standard operation practices.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

IMJack posted:

Waaagh?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Oh wow. So, remember how, back in the Chaos Rising campaign, one of the things that came up while exploring the Judgment of Carrion was finding corpses of Battle Brothers that were apparently still serving in the Chapter, or had supposedly died in other locations? Like Brother Lucanas, who the records claimed died in the Kaurava campaign, only for Cyrus to debunk it, saying there was no Lucanus at Kaurava.

I'm going to spoiler this next bit purely because it's from Dark Crusade, and we haven't gotten there yet, though it's from one of the "Archive" textblurbs about one of the regions on the campaign map, and those don't usually get much attention, and may not get pointed out in the LP itself.

In the Textdump for the Rhean Jungle, a transmission sent to Isador Akios from some unnamed expedition leader from the Blood Ravens, talking about them coming across a battered but intact case with a coded message explaining that the case holds the progenoid glands (aka gene-seed) of Brother Terrias Null, and Initiate Ezekiel Remus, who had fallen against Chaos forces, preserved by a 4th Company Apothecary. Problem is, he points out that the records Isador provided them (that suggested conflict between their brothers and chaos occurred in the north, rather than down south here), appear to have been written by a "Brother Remus". The transmitter goes on to wonder "Could there have truly been two men in the same team with the same name? And if not, then who assumed Remus' name after his death?"

I was not expecting to find THAT particular plot-seed hidden this early in the series, honestly.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 15, 2020

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Poil posted:

Waaagh?

In the Ork pantheon, there are 3 gods: Gork, Mork, and The Emperor. The Emperor was the greatest warrior who ever lived, and he gave the Orks the best enemies they've ever had to fight, so how could he NOT be an Ork god?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Gothsheep posted:

In the Ork pantheon, there are 3 gods: Gork, Mork, and The Emperor. The Emperor was the greatest warrior who ever lived, and he gave the Orks the best enemies they've ever had to fight, so how could he NOT be an Ork god?

Its part of Ork logical thought.

There is Gork and There is Mork and dats TWO gods.

There are FOUR Chaos god gitz out dere and they can't stop Gork or Mork so dey is weedy Gitz.

There is ONE Emperor who stands up and fights Gork And Mork at the Same time (and Chaos but Chaos are a bunch of gitz so dey don't count.) and to and Ork Dat means the Emperor is ded 'ard.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

Its part of Ork logical thought.

There is Gork and There is Mork and dats TWO gods.

There are FOUR Chaos god gitz out dere and they can't stop Gork or Mork so dey is weedy Gitz.

There is ONE Emperor who stands up and fights Gork And Mork at the Same time (and Chaos but Chaos are a bunch of gitz so dey don't count.) and to and Ork Dat means the Emperor is ded 'ard.

And sum uf da Emperah's boyz even gots the proppa colors!

Dem Bloody Angels wear red and dey's extra fast!

Da Ultramarinez wear blue and dey's right lucky gits.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gothsheep posted:

This is good. Also I think someone said that the chaos gods consider The Emperor to be another chaos god?

Also, we need more ork stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QdriRtYOk0

White Coke
May 29, 2015

SugarAddict posted:

This is good. Also I think someone said that the chaos gods consider The Emperor to be another chaos god?

They consider Him a sort of anti-god. He’s like them in a lot of ways, but they fear Him because he has the power to destroy them permanently. I think they call Him ‘The Anathema’.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

White Coke posted:

They consider Him a sort of anti-god. He’s like them in a lot of ways, but they fear Him because he has the power to destroy them permanently. I think they call Him ‘The Anathema’.

This is also true considering one of the things he did was smash all religion when he was still moving.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

SugarAddict posted:

This is also true considering one of the things he did was smash all religion when he was still moving.

This was actually the wrong move, because even without worship the emotions of people fuel the Chaos Gods. Ironically Lorgar was correct, creating the Imperial Truth and providing something else for humanity to believe in means their Warp Energy/Power goes to the Emperor instead of the Ruinous Powers.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

This was actually the wrong move, because even without worship the emotions of people fuel the Chaos Gods. Ironically Lorgar was correct, creating the Imperial Truth and providing something else for humanity to believe in means their Warp Energy/Power goes to the Emperor instead of the Ruinous Powers.

I don't know if this is still/ever was canon, but I heard a while ago at least, the idea was that the only thing stopping the Emperor from reforming as a true Chaos God was his tie to the Golden Throne. If his body was ever allowed to truly die once and for all, he'd immediately form into a new Chaos God.

And given that this is Warhammer 40K, this would probably be an extremely bad thing for everyone.

(EDIT: As for the Emperor and the Orks, what I read that I found really funny, is that the Orks believe the Emperor was an Ork. I mean you've never seen the Emperor. Nobody alive has seen the Emperor, so nobody can really say he wasn't an Ork. And he's the best fighter who ever lived, and such a good warboss that he even took the little humies and turned them into a mob that could put up a fight. That could only be an Ork!)

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 15, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

There are about a million different theories on what happens when the golden throne fails and that is one of them.

Another theory is the eye of terror will explode and consume the galaxy, so obviously folks aren't to tempted to try to see what happens.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Having the Emperor come back as a god, but also an Ork would be great.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

White Coke posted:

Having the Emperor come back as a god, but also an Ork would be great.

Finally the Imperium of Man and Ork can form.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Why would he come back as an Ork god? They've got those, what they need are good enemies.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Hunt11 posted:

Finally the Imperium of Man and Ork can form.

Man, Ork... Imperium of Mork (and by extension, Gork)?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

wiegieman posted:

Why would he come back as an Ork god? They've got those, what they need are good enemies.

This,

Also the Orkz probably respect Gulliman now that he's back since as a Primarch he is bigger than the rest and also the boss. And he has a FANCY HAT

Some Orkz have the knowledge/idea that the Fancier a Human's hat the more important they are and thus the better at fighting.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Fancy hats are extremely important for orks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

This,

Also the Orkz probably respect Gulliman now that he's back since as a Primarch he is bigger than the rest and also the boss. And he has a FANCY HAT

Some Orkz have the knowledge/idea that the Fancier a Human's hat the more important they are and thus the better at fighting.

Just ask Cap'n Bloodflag. He's got hats figured out.