Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hollow Knight's one flaw is you can't gently caress the bugs. Look at how horny some of those bugs are!

RandomFerret posted:

How much did that av cost I really like it

I spent $20 total, $5 for each segment which I then put in the av text area. Figured I'd just spend the extra cash since I was making a big-rear end avatar anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Heads up Mario Maker 2 is $40 digital on Amazon. I sold my physical copy but real tempted to grab this and play again.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Waltzing Along posted:

What is overwhelming? Most of the scenes are pretty simple.

It just keeps throwing more information at you. I went in blind based on recommendations in this thread, so I didn't know what to expect... I like finding a new scene to investigate, but why is it timed the first time you view it, I'm always still looking around when it cuts off. Then I want to go back and review/dwell on it but the stopwatch says no, there's another scene over here, follow the ghost to find a corpse. That starts another timed scene! Then on to another!

I know you can review them again. I'm not trying to come down on the game, its just the feeling that I'm getting pushed forward makes me anxious! Plus there are guys in the portrait that are no longer blurry and I'm like dang I'm supposed to know his name by now?

I've only played for about an hour (lol at the artist taking a poo poo) and I'm looking forward to going back...but after that first hour I needed to step away

minya posted:

It is, but the secret to figuring stuff out is to focus on little things rather than trying to take it all in at first. There's lots of information packed all over and you'll steadily uncover little bits here and there that help you reveal things, and then you can use that information to further narrow down things you couldn't figure out before, etc.

Also, a tip that I think isn't really a spoiler since this apparently isn't common knowledge (??): The numbers on the crew manifest are meaningful. They are not random.

Thanks, thats good to know! But I feel like I'm trying to focus on little things, but I keep getting moved to another scene. at the end of the first chapter you play ("the end" i think it was called) there's a guy whom I presume is the captain, shooting himself next to a woman's corpse. But, before he does it, he says Abigail I killed your brother/my friend. So I see Abigail shares the same last name as the captain. Huh, is the captain the brother? Then who's this guy? Or are Abigail and the captain married? Oh never mind, I'm being swept into an octopus attack.

This post is probably coming off as a ranting diatribe...I really do enjoy the game so far, I think I just need to adjust my expectations/how to approach.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bleck posted:

gonna try to ascend to hitherto unknown heights of metaposting, here I go guys, wish me luck

posting about posting about posting about pos-

Illusion of Gaia when, you cowards.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Thanks, thats good to know! But I feel like I'm trying to focus on little things, but I keep getting moved to another scene. at the end of the first chapter you play ("the end" i think it was called) there's a guy whom I presume is the captain, shooting himself next to a woman's corpse. But, before he does it, he says Abigail I killed your brother/my friend. So I see Abigail shares the same last name as the captain. Huh, is the captain the brother? Then who's this guy? Or are Abigail and the captain married? Oh never mind, I'm being swept into an octopus attack.

This post is probably coming off as a ranting diatribe...I really do enjoy the game so far, I think I just need to adjust my expectations/how to approach.

Yep, you're already getting the hang of it. Your thought process detailed above is exactly how you should be playing the game. It definitely takes some getting used to because the gameplay is so different from, like, almost every other game out there (maybe except Outer Wilds).

Don't stress too much about the game pushing you forward/time limits, etc. as you can take as much time as you need to review scenes again.

Also, another tip that I don't think is really a spoiler ... every time the game shows you a new scene, you are moving backwards in time. The first scene you examine is the end of the story. This becomes very important during certain scenes. Chronology and flow of time are key.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Mister Facetious posted:

Illusion of Gaia when, you cowards.

Pretty sure its square or Enix so never :sigh:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

poo poo out the Soul Blazer trilogy you fucks, hell you could pull a Collection of Mana on that poo poo, just give us an official NA release for fuggin Terranigma, the game's already poorly translated and everything.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

i like obra dinn discourse over hollow knight discourse because i haven't played obra dinn yet so my eyes just automatically cross to avoid spoilers, making it a much more painless read

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Mega64 posted:

poo poo out the Soul Blazer trilogy you fucks, hell you could pull a Collection of Mana on that poo poo, just give us an official NA release for fuggin Terranigma, the game's already poorly translated and everything.

Not an emptyquote

The IP is dead just gimme

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Muscle Tracer posted:

i like obra dinn discourse over hollow knight discourse because i haven't played obra dinn yet so my eyes just automatically cross to avoid spoilers, making it a much more painless read

Joke's on you, they're basically the same game.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

minya posted:

Yep, you're already getting the hang of it. Your thought process detailed above is exactly how you should be playing the game. It definitely takes some getting used to because the gameplay is so different from, like, almost every other game out there (maybe except Outer Wilds).

Don't stress too much about the game pushing you forward/time limits, etc. as you can take as much time as you need to review scenes again.

Also, another tip that I don't think is really a spoiler ... every time the game shows you a new scene, you are moving backwards in time. The first scene you examine is the end of the story. This becomes very important during certain scenes. Chronology and flow of time are key.

Oh thanks, all of that is good to know! :cheers:

I have to chuckle a little because based on what I've seen...jesus christ what a wretched voyage

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mega64 posted:

Ever since Square acquired Enix, everything on that side that wasn't Dragon Quest has basically been killed, despite having plenty of good poo poo.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Muscle Tracer posted:

Last time Obra Dinn chat was in this thread I posted about how I thought Obra Dinn was one of the few games that legitimately warranted spoiler warnings because spoiling it will directly affect your enjoyment of the game because the entire game is deducing things based on information you have available to you and then it spawned a whole rash of bad posts about how that's an elitist attitude or something and so maybe we can do that all over again

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mega64 posted:

Joke's on you, they're basically the same game.

Then how come Obra fans aren’t nearly as insufferable

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm gonna spoil the whole plot of ibra dinn watch me

the obra dinn is a big ship that got lost at sea, then drifted back into port with no survivors. your character is an insurance clerk with a magic stopwatch that lets you see dead people's last moments, and you go all over the ship looking at how people died and using the evidence you find to work out who everyone is and what happened to them. at the end of the game, you know a lot more than you did at the begining

Mega64
May 23, 2008

gently caress those idiots, I do plan to play Obra Dinn eventually so I do unironically and genuinely appreciate that every time Obra Dinn chat comes up in this thread it becomes a barrage of black bars that I won't read.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Then how come Obra fans aren’t nearly as insufferable

It's because Obra Dinn has the worse fans, at least until I eventually play it, then it will have the better fans of the two games.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

minya posted:

Last time Obra Dinn chat was in this thread I posted about how I thought Obra Dinn was one of the few games that legitimately warranted spoiler warnings because spoiling it will directly affect your enjoyment of the game because the entire game is deducing things based on information you have available to you and then it spawned a whole rash of bad posts about how that's an elitist attitude or something and so maybe we can do that all over again

For the record, I was entirely on your side during that discussion. I'm not sure if I stated that outright at the time so I just wanted that out there.

Like, don't spoil Obra Dinn guys.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Obra Dinn, ob-la-da, life goes on, bra
La-la, how the life goes on

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Midjack posted:

Obra Dinn, ob-la-da, life goes on, bra
La-la, how the life goes on

Tom Bombadull

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Not my best work.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Mega64 posted:

gently caress those idiots, I do plan to play Obra Dinn eventually so I do unironically and genuinely appreciate that every time Obra Dinn chat comes up in this thread it becomes a barrage of black bars that I won't read.

same

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Obra Dinn captured my heart and became one of those few games I wish I could forget and replay fresh again.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Walla posted:

For the record, I was entirely on your side during that discussion. I'm not sure if I stated that outright at the time so I just wanted that out there.

Like, don't spoil Obra Dinn guys.

:cheers:

Policenaut posted:

Obra Dinn captured my heart and became one of those few games I wish I could forget and replay fresh again.

Outer Wilds is similar from a gameplay standpoint, if you haven't already played it

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Policenaut posted:

honestly I can't remember very much about it at all (as far as the puzzles go) and as a result I'm excited to someday replay

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Spoiling things out of the blue is rude because people do legitimately care about whether they're exposed to spoilers as such, and that should be respected, but if its the fight I'm remembering the whole discourse last time was an overreaction to someone saying they were gonna mildly spoil themselves and acting like telling people not to search out spoilers on their own is equivalent to helping save their soul from some sort've eternal damnation.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 14, 2020

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
lmao I just did a run on Hades while my PS5 blinks solemnly in rest mode, casting a defeated orange shadow on my coffee table

Hades is that good y'all

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
though I can confirm that the PS5 is also very good and that controller's rumble is a delight

Disco Anne
Apr 1, 2010

Assume you're going to survive.
Obra Dinn spoiler
The sketch artist should have only been identifiable by solving a sliding puzzle of the crew portrait.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

KingSlime posted:

lmao I just did a run on Hades while my PS5 blinks solemnly in rest mode, casting a defeated orange shadow on my coffee table

Hades is that good y'all

Does the PS5 light up with game-appropriate colors or is that a selfmade setting?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Dischorr_N posted:

Obra Dinn spoiler
The sketch artist should have only been identifiable by solving a sliding puzzle of the crew portrait.

I do like how the artist is identified though. It actually threw me for a loop at first.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Times! posted:

Does the PS5 light up with game-appropriate colors or is that a selfmade setting?

Oh nah I was playing my switch and neglecting the ps5, I had a quick 30 minutes during lunch and as much as I want to poke around on the PS5 more I could not resist beelining straight for Hades

But yeah I'm not sure what determines the colors yet, at least on the controller it does seem that each game has custom settings. I want to say it was blinking green while I was trying out monster Hunter world

The console itself, I'm pretty sure it just blinks blue or orange depending on if it's on or on rest mode... Wait I think it goes white while it's on

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Obra Dinn rules and was specifically made for me, a guy who loves mysteries and spooky tales of apocalyptic ship logs.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Oh dang abzu is $2! I've been waiting for a sale on that for a while

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s basically underwater Journey, no?

I bought it based on the strength of Journey, essentially

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm having a bad day so I smoked a lot of weed and downloaded the katamari rerolled demo because I've never played any of them before and holy crap this is exactly what I needed it rules a lot thank you king katamari

minya
Sep 7, 2004

I think I paid $20 for Abzu on Ps4. It is an exceptionally good deal for $2. A lot like Journey, but obviously a different mood. Not really a game, more like a delightful interactive experience

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm having a bad day so I smoked a lot of weed and downloaded the katamari rerolled demo because I've never played any of them before and holy crap this is exactly what I needed it rules a lot thank you king katamari

It’s an instant good time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Katamari is fantastic. Welcome to the club!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
When is the We🫀Katamari Reroll coming out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Not directly Switch related, but the Game & Watch is now ready for preorders.