Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

the mouse on my new computer at work is some jacked-up sub-wish.com piece of poo poo that interprets the whisper of the wind across a squirrel's balls two streets over as a right mouse click, so I can't go for more than thirty seconds without the context menu popping up

my workplace never met a corner they wouldn't carelessly cut but this is, like, comically on brand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My usual method for buying a new PC is going into the local independent computer shop and giving them a certain set sum and whatever they give me in exchange will inevitably be better than whatever old piece of poo poo I've held on to for far too long and serve me well for many years. So I bought a new laptop today and by and large it seems to have worked once again but the camera on it is absolute horse poo poo, genuinely terrible image quality, and I don't need it all that much but I'm gonna have to buy one extra for when I do.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Trying to enjoy a nice quiet evening which is not happening, as my mom cannot stand the sound of silence when she could be talking about the election, how Kamala is going to kill Joe Biden if they win so ANTIFA will take all our guns.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm just waiting to hear how badly covid has screwed me again. I was all excited about this new job I'm due to start training for on monday, but then yesterday the NHS app told me I apparently came into contact with someone with covid so it's advising me to isolate for 10 days. I've texted the new job to see how they want me to proceed, whether they'll want to delay my training for the week so that I can do the isolation or whether they'll want me to ignore it, or whether I'll lose the job altogether. It's really frustrating.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Both of my feet are flat, and I am on my feet much of the day, and used to love walking a few hours a night, but it is a pain right now, and all the shoes and inserts I'm looking at are stupid expensive.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Some face masks I ordered from Etsy that were shipped via USPS are stuck in the "In Transit, Arriving Late" status for two weeks now. I'd contact the seller, but it's likely beyond their control at this point. :smith:

I have around 13 masks already in a bunch of colors and patterns, but it's always nice to have more on hand to rotate plus ~fashion~ reasons

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Got a new phone but it doesn't have a 3.5 mm jack and didn't come with an adapter for one, so now I'm stuck waiting for the wireless headphones that I ordered to show up before I can activate it.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
Lying on my side when I sleep is comfy but I can’t do it anymore because it makes my back hurt now. :( Also my back just hurts in general. Probably because I keep rolling into my side in my sleep. I’m not 30 until next year, body, wtf

Also the discounted, pre-assembled desk I got from Ikea earlier this year is too low and I’m just now realising it’s probably not as good a computer desk as I once thought

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I'm concerned about the timeline on the rollout for the covid vaccine because I have gotten pretty used to working in my pj pants, not spending money on gas, and not losing 2-3hrs a day to the joy of commuting.
I wanna milk this for however long it's gonna last.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Don’t worry, it’s going to continue at least 2 more years

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Butt Detective posted:

Lying on my side when I sleep is comfy but I can’t do it anymore because it makes my back hurt now. :( Also my back just hurts in general. Probably because I keep rolling into my side in my sleep. I’m not 30 until next year, body, wtf

Also the discounted, pre-assembled desk I got from Ikea earlier this year is too low and I’m just now realising it’s probably not as good a computer desk as I once thought

Could be your posture is all hosed up from sitting weird at your too-low desk

E: I bet if you were having butt pains you could figure out why in no time

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Butt Detective posted:

At any given moment 500 million people worldwide are suffering from lower back pain.

The curse of walking upright I guess.

My strategy is squats and deadlifts from doing the starting strength beginners program, there's a thread on it.

It cures back pain pretty quick, but I foolishly lifted too much with bad form and aggravated my sciatic nerve, so be careful.

Turns out a strong back supports your spine better and can take a lot of the sting out of any bad/slipped disks, maybe even work them back in place.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Cacafuego posted:

Could be your posture is all hosed up from sitting weird at your too-low desk

E: I bet if you were having butt pains you could figure out why in no time

Probably! I don't even really have a proper computer chair, it's a reclining armchair my dad screwed wheels onto. Years of not sitting on chairs properly as a teen/young adult are finally catching up to me. I'll have to get a new one, but until then I'm sitting with a rolled towel supporting my back and my feet planted flat on a box because I'm short lol

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

At any given moment 500 million people worldwide are suffering from lower back pain.

The curse of walking upright I guess.

My strategy is squats and deadlifts from doing the starting strength beginners program, there's a thread on it.

It cures back pain pretty quick, but I foolishly lifted too much with bad form and aggravated my sciatic nerve, so be careful.

Turns out a strong back supports your spine better and can take a lot of the sting out of any bad/slipped disks, maybe even work them back in place.

I'll have to give that a try! I do go on 3-5 mile walks at least a few times a week which temporarily takes the edge off, but I could probably do with strengthening my back some. At the moment it's mostly just a dull ache, but I've been feeling it for a good two weeks now. :(

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Butt Detective posted:

Probably! I don't even really have a proper computer chair, it's a reclining armchair my dad screwed wheels onto. Years of not sitting on chairs properly as a teen/young adult are finally catching up to me. I'll have to get a new one, but until then I'm sitting with a rolled towel supporting my back and my feet planted flat on a box because I'm short lol

I'll have to give that a try! I do go on 3-5 mile walks at least a few times a week which temporarily takes the edge off, but I could probably do with strengthening my back some. At the moment it's mostly just a dull ache, but I've been feeling it for a good two weeks now. :(

Since I started doing 30 deep bodyweight squats first thing in the morning every single day, my back has been doing great. Helps to eliminate the back pain I have when I wake up, as well.

Every other day I spend 30 minutes doing extra squats, core, shoulder and arm exercises - especially kettlebell swings. I was in the same boat as you, and I have resigned myself to doing this until I die or I can get an exoskeleton :sigh:

Mzuri has a new favorite as of 19:49 on Nov 12, 2020

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Pretty loving stupid that every single consumer electronic item is now sold under the limited edition sneaker business model.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I live in the PNW so I like and am accustomed to the rain.

Now that I own a home with a basement, I hate the rain. It makes me incredibly nervous.
It sucks that of all the basements I had as a kid (we moved a lot), none of them came close to flooding. Not even a trickle.

Now I have water coming up from the ground in a storage room and I have no loving clue how to fix it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Even having hired a moving company this go round, moving still suuuuuucks.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Inzombiac posted:

I live in the PNW so I like and am accustomed to the rain.

Now that I own a home with a basement, I hate the rain. It makes me incredibly nervous.
It sucks that of all the basements I had as a kid (we moved a lot), none of them came close to flooding. Not even a trickle.

Now I have water coming up from the ground in a storage room and I have no loving clue how to fix it.

I have a basement prone to flooding, and I have a Grundfos submersible pump installed in a drain down there. It kicks in from time to time when it rains and keeps my basement dry at all times.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Even having hired a moving company this go round, moving still suuuuuucks.

I didn't mind moving when I was in college and could fit most everything I owned in a truck or van but now that we have a house full of poo poo I'm dreading the decision to move. And we're going to have to at some point the next few years, I think, if we want all the stupid poo poo we want and want to do all the stupid poo poo we want to do.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just reset a boatload of old compromised passwords, except Dropbox and Lentil won't send the reset emails to my account. I whitelisted the noreplies and checked junk and it's just not arrived, unless they'll come later on and are just delayed.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Inspector 34 posted:

I didn't mind moving when I was in college and could fit most everything I owned in a truck or van but now that we have a house full of poo poo I'm dreading the decision to move. And we're going to have to at some point the next few years, I think, if we want all the stupid poo poo we want and want to do all the stupid poo poo we want to do.

Moving house sucks. I've done it multiple times in the past decade, and it's pretty much never simple. And it seems to be a Infinite Trash Generator.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
The pharmacy used a different generic sertraline for my prescription this time and it doesn't cut in half as cleanly as the kind they were using before.

Also I'd rather take 3 50 mg tablets because the taste of the cut in half ones is gross.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I know no one can fathom Amazon's UX changes any more but a few months ago there was a change where I scroll to the end of page one of a product's reviews (on the main product page) and then it segues into 'read top amazon reviews in other languages'. How many amazon users know another language well enough to grok reviews?? Surely not many, especially in good old :britain:

And it does this even if there are multiple pages of other reviews written in English.

Maybe they want to avoid people delving more deeply into reviews so they're only exposed to the Amazon approved ones. Sigh. It's that isn't it :capitalism:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I know no one can fathom Amazon's UX changes any more but a few months ago there was a change where I scroll to the end of page one of a product's reviews (on the main product page) and then it segues into 'read top amazon reviews in other languages'. How many amazon users know another language well enough to grok reviews?? Surely not many, especially in good old :britain:

And it does this even if there are multiple pages of other reviews written in English.

Maybe they want to avoid people delving more deeply into reviews so they're only exposed to the Amazon approved ones. Sigh. It's that isn't it :capitalism:

I mean, I speak 3 languages* and can extrapolate the general sense from more than that but it's still incredibly annoying. Even worse: if a foreign-language review has images or video attached, you can't view them except as the tiny, useless thumbnail. Amazing.

* not trying to brag here, honestly.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My employer doesn't roll over any un-used PTO at the end of a calendar year so I have to figure out how to smoke like seven or eight days in the next six weeks. And that's already counting me taking the entire week of Thanksgiving off!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

C-Euro posted:

My employer doesn't roll over any un-used PTO at the end of a calendar year so I have to figure out how to smoke like seven or eight days in the next six weeks. And that's already counting me taking the entire week of Thanksgiving off!

I’ve never understood how people treat this as a problem? Just take off whatever days you want. You get to get paid to not go to work, it’s awesome.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
In some jobs, taking time off can make your job more difficult when you return.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

RCarr posted:

I’ve never understood how people treat this as a problem? Just take off whatever days you want. You get to get paid to not go to work, it’s awesome.

In my workplace departments have minimum staffing levels they can't go under so if all of your co-workers have already asked off (and they have because it's the holidays) you may end up taking a random Tuesday here or there instead of a nice long weekend. I'm in the same boat right now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

RCarr posted:

Three years of grad school almost completely ruined my ability to take time off guilt-free, or at least to take time off without a good reason to do so. I'll probably just end up taking every Monday off for the rest of the year or something.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

C-Euro posted:

Three years of grad school almost completely ruined my ability to take time off guilt-free, or at least to take time off without a good reason to do so. I'll probably just end up taking every Monday off for the rest of the year or something.
Now's a good time to travel!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

C-Euro posted:

This still sounds nice!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The place where I buy turkey for Thanksgiving evidently exploded this year. Not the biggest deal because I'm not having a gathering this year, but still I can't help but take this one personally.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I stubbed my toe really hard against a solid metal (admittedly hollow, but still) object, leading to a pretty significant bruise underneath my big toenail. I discovered this after realizing that, holy crap, I need to cut my toenails.

I can't find my drat toenail clippers, so I had to add a whopping dollar-or-so to my grocery delivery to add a nail clipper. And now because I know my nails are too long, I am painfully aware of it. Gah.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I have six -- SIX -- free Dunkin Donuts drinks that expire before Christmas, and Starbucks has the glorious seasonal chestnut praline latte UNTIL Christmas. So I'm in the position to either let my hard-earned DD rewards expire or use them & have less room in my schedule/stomach for chestnut praline lattes, the best drink ever made.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RCarr posted:

I'm the only one that does my job so if I take time off, the work will pile up and it'll be a shitstorm when I return.

Yeah, I'm the low-level rear end in a top hat that fields 200+ emails a day and people just dump poo poo on me constantly.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

I stubbed my toe really hard against a solid metal (admittedly hollow, but still) object, leading to a pretty significant bruise underneath my big toenail. I discovered this after realizing that, holy crap, I need to cut my toenails.

I'm never angrier with myself than when I kick the coffee table that's been in the same spot for ten years and gently caress up one of my toes.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I'm the only one that does my job so if I take time off, the work will pile up and it'll be a shitstorm when I return.

Yeah, I'm the low-level rear end in a top hat that fields 200+ emails a day and people just dump poo poo on me constantly.

I’m sorry, that’s some bullshit.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
My upstairs neighbor's kids won't stop banging around at all hours of the day, and i'm not even talking just running, I mean like it sounds like someone dropped a set of weights at times. The pictures and wall decorations we have rattle with it.

We had the "audacity" to bang back on the ceiling once and I got a nice angry Karen coming down maskless to scream in my face about how "her kids need play time" and "they dont do it super late" (we've been keeping logs of times that the noises have occurred). She ended her tirade with how "you chose to live in apartment so you should expect this" despite living in apartments for 7 years prior to this and never having this problem, not even when I was living in NYC.

Can't wait to get the gently caress out of this place and into our own house. I'd rather have homeowner issues than deal with this mess.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My A1C came back high so now, I am on a diet during the most delicious part of the year.

Yea, it's just sweets and soda and whatnot I gotta avoid, but who the gently caress wants to avoid sweets during thanksgiving/christmas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Some face masks I ordered from Etsy that were shipped via USPS are stuck in the "In Transit, Arriving Late" status for two weeks now. I'd contact the seller, but it's likely beyond their control at this point. :smith:

I have around 13 masks already in a bunch of colors and patterns, but it's always nice to have more on hand to rotate plus ~fashion~ reasons

Update: Masks arrived a couple days ago, turns out they were sitting in a USPS distribution center and I guess someone looked at it and realized they were past due. Told the seller about it and he offered to include a free mask of my choice in my next purchase :unsmith: