Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I liked that the Imperial offcer captaining the Gozanti looked absolutely hard as a coffin nail, that scarred look all the older, veteran officers have is one of the things they really got right in the post-empire media, ie Gideon Hask, Moden Canady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Yeah the fact that he wasn't just some cowardly self-interested cartoon villain pushover and was a true believer willing to give his life to deny a lost asset to the enemy was pretty true to what kind of men would still be sticking around for a headless Empire in senior officer positions. The ride-or-dies.

Is this the first time we've seen a Gozanti in live action?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Someone posted a screenshot of one in phantom menace earlier

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah it was originally just a random background ship taking off from Mos Eisley in Phantom Menace, that was picked out of the catalogue to be reused in Clone Wars, and it grew from there. In Rebels it's a general purpose medium troop transport and picket ship, that can either dock four TIEs as a very light carrier, or one AT-AT or two AT-DPs plus a couple squads of troops when being a transport. There's also a special version covered in dishes and antennas that does SIGINT work in rebels too.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 14, 2020

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/BryceDHoward/status/1327409008878235652

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Owlbear Camus posted:

I like how there's gender dimorphism in Clan Night Owl helmets.

Um actually the night owls are women only, the dude is just there so they can drive in the car pool lane.

but Bo Katan is in live action! Holy poo poo!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BDH should do a Star Wars movie tbh

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I loved the Predator thermal nightvision hallway shootout stuff.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

four words: Paul Lynde the Hutt

I've said it before: I will defend the concept of Ziro the Hutt to the death. He's essentially Hedonism-Bot in the SW universe.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wonder if having him meet Mandolorians who take off their helmets (and showing an armorless Boba Fett) was written in so there can be an excuse later on to show Pedro Pascal's face more often in the show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Spookydonut posted:

??? They are different.

Point, I think it was just the framing and that we were only just introduced to the characters that was confusing me.

Gonz posted:

I loved the Predator thermal nightvision hallway shootout stuff.

The Mandalorians are at their best when they use their fighting style built around maximising the strengths of their armour like that.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Mandalorians are at their best when they use their fighting style built around maximising the strengths of their armour like that.
Yo, Sasha Banks doing that spinning torpedo kick that Cammy from Street Fighter does with her jet pack on that quarren fisherman was dope af

Edit:

https://twitter.com/kateesackhoff/status/1327493528620941315

:3:

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 14, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

We really need a Star Wars fighting game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

[edit] I'm obsessed with Doctor Aphra atm, and would like a single-player action/adventure exploration platformer featuring her, developed by the same team that made Jedi Fallen Order. Figure it'd be akin to the recent Tomb Raider reboot games, but in spaaaaace.

teagone fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 14, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just add yoda to the next smash brothers and call it a day

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It’s kind of weird that in the last 15 years of Star Wars, two of the most popular dark horse characters were basically “Darth Vader’s lovely intern” and “Darth Vader’s shady drug doctor”.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

nine-gear crow posted:

It’s kind of weird that in the last 15 years of Star Wars, two of the most popular dark horse characters were basically “Darth Vader’s lovely intern” and “Darth Vader’s shady drug doctor”.

Ahsoka and... ?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Put it that way and I'd watch a show of them and Darth Vader's personal trainer.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Its Rinaldo posted:

Yo, Sasha Banks doing that spinning torpedo kick that Cammy from Street Fighter does with her jet pack on that quarren fisherman was dope af

Edit:

https://twitter.com/kateesackhoff/status/1327493528620941315

:3:

https://twitter.com/SamWitwer/status/1327482298967572480

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The attack on the Gozanti reminded me a bit of the Hawkmen attack on War Rocket Azax in Flash Gordon but I'm probably reading too much into it

OB_Juan posted:

I've gotta say -Given her history, taking the darksaber from Bo-Katan, and leaving her alive is a bold move. There's really nothing she can spend her life doing OTHER than getting that thing back.

It's a bit of a worry that Bo-Katan is 100% obsessed with getting the darksaber back and will happily screw over Din even to get some intel on it, and Moff Gideon is 100% obsessed with getting The Child and is willing to sacrifice any of his assets to get it. Doesn't bode well for Din.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The attack on the Gozanti reminded me a bit of the Hawkmen attack on War Rocket Azax in Flash Gordon but I'm probably reading too much into it

It's a bit of a worry that Bo-Katan is 100% obsessed with getting the darksaber back and will happily screw over Din even to get some intel on it, and Moff Gideon is 100% obsessed with getting The Child and is willing to sacrifice any of his assets to get it. Doesn't bode well for Din.

I wouldn't say Bo screwed Din over, just used him a bit. Screwing him over would be what his old "friend" did at the end of the prison break episode when he started launching the gunship to kill him.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spookydonut posted:

Ahsoka and... ?

I assume Aphra

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"Bitch took my ride sword."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hazo posted:

And waiting till they’re just out of frame to pantomime putting their helmets on since (I assume) they’re not actually functional. There was a bit on the ship when Bo and the the dude both did it and it really stood out to me.

Katee's helmet probably didn't fit over her headband, and would have messed up her wig anyway. They would have had to stop and redo their wigs/hair after every take if they'd actually been taking their helmets off.

Most of the time they used edits to hide it, usually with Katee holding the helmet in front of her face at the start of the second shot and miming removing it.

Movie magic!!!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azhais posted:

I assume Aphra

This episode was great, and I'm now ready to watch Aphra's Live Action featuring Auralnauts voice acting Triple-Zero.

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

What do you mean it's not Tom Cruise?

One of this show's strongest points its is cameos. I can't think of a single guest or recurring star that's missed the mark, and this week continued that streak.

The Mandalorian's camerawork and set design, in tandem, really excel at translating its storyboards to the screen. This show noticeably feels like I'm watching a comic.

I've found myself wondering, though, why the biomes, and settings at large, feel so one-note and minimal. Star Wars really could benefit from some more fantastical world design; I get that it's a stylistic choice for The Mandalorian in particular, but I feel like a little more visual diversity would help the universe feel larger.

Take for example the raid on the Gozanti, and compare that environment to, the assault on the Shadow Broker's ship from ME2.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Owlbear Camus posted:

Putting my marker down on there is no way he makes it to S3E1 still flying the Razor Crest.
Given the success of the show, theres no way I wouldn't end this season with the Razor Crest being blown up, the Child being kidnapped, and Djarin stripped of his armor and left for dead on a deserted planet.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They film basically everything in the Volume with minimal sets. The volume is cool and all but everything is going to end up feeling a bit like it's filmed inside 360 degrees of oled display.

It's one of the reasons the armorer fight last season really stood out, that was all done on a traditional set

Azhais fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 14, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

hexate posted:

One of this show's strongest points its is cameos. I can't think of a single guest or recurring star that's missed the mark, and this week continued that streak.

The Mandalorian's camerawork and set design, in tandem, really excel at translating its storyboards to the screen. This show noticeably feels like I'm watching a comic.

I've found myself wondering, though, why the biomes, and settings at large, feel so one-note and minimal. Star Wars really could benefit from some more fantastical world design; I get that it's a stylistic choice for The Mandalorian in particular, but I feel like a little more visual diversity would help the universe feel larger.

Take for example the raid on the Gozanti, and compare that environment to, the assault on the Shadow Broker's ship from ME2.

They literally invented a whole new technology to film this show on the cheap, it should get better as the seasons go on and they refine and expand upon it. I’m not surprised they’ve mostly stuck with desert planet, ice planet, water planet, and such for now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Katee's helmet probably didn't fit over her headband, and would have messed up her wig anyway. They would have had to stop and redo their wigs/hair after every take if they'd actually been taking their helmets off.

Most of the time they used edits to hide it, usually with Katee holding the helmet in front of her face at the start of the second shot and miming removing it.

Movie magic!!!

I'm reminded of how the moment where we see Mando take his helmet off, he has hilariously awful helmet hair.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Azhais posted:

They film basically everything in the Volume with minimal sets. The volume is cool and all but everything is going to end up feeling a bit like it's filmed inside 360 degrees of oled display.

It's one of the reasons the armorer fight last season really stood out, that was all done on a traditional set

The Seven Samurai episode had more location shooting too didn't it?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yes they built the town set on a backlot, same with the flat sandy area for the final fight, just so they could do 'crowd' scenes which isn't possible in the volume (unless they build a larger space)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i'm glad the frogs were saved. this season has been incredible so far

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

I wonder if having him meet Mandolorians who take off their helmets (and showing an armorless Boba Fett) was written in so there can be an excuse later on to show Pedro Pascal's face more often in the show.

Oh yeah but it seems like they are making it a natural evolution that's not gonna happen all at once. He starts out a droid-hating, stone-cold gun for hire fundamentalist zealot and runs into things that soften different facets of his worldview a bit at a time. It's cool.

I absolutely love that these mandos fighting style used a lot of brutal yet ice cold and perfunctory double taps on downed opponents. Savage.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 14, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ghost Leviathan posted:

When they were clowning on the squid pirates they kept using their wire to trip people and zoop their feet out from under them and I was like "drat that poo poo is so cheap" like it was Mortal Kombat 2. It's the same thing with Mando breaking that guys hand with his face, the Beskar armor allows you to just fight your opponents on every different axis. You can fly, shoot missiles, homing darts, flamethrower, laser-proof, tripwire, I mean really it's so OP. I wonder if the blue Mandalorians stopped to be like "Hey whoa look at this loser and-WHAT THE gently caress FULL BESKAR WHAT HOW?". I personally thought Din's armor looked way better than theirs.

I genuinely don't think someone who wore a helmet 24/7 for like 20 years is gonna ever deprogram to the point where they take their helmet off casually.

We might get a scene of the child playing in a meadow and he takes off his helmet just to feel the breeze or something, but we're never gonna see Din just chatting with folks face to face.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Elentor posted:

This episode was great, and I'm now ready to watch Aphra's Live Action featuring Auralnauts voice acting Triple-Zero.

I swear to the Force if they give Trip Zero any other voice than Craven's, I'm throwing my TV through the window. SINGULARITY!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Owlbear Camus posted:

I swear to the Force if they give Trip Zero any other voice than Craven's, I'm throwing my TV through the window. SINGULARITY!

AL̴Ļ I F̨E͡EL͝ IS P͟AIN͡.̢
EV̸ERY̶ ͏S͡TE͠P̴ ̛I̡S̨ ̶A̕ NEW N͟I̴G͘H͡TM̨ARE̷.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The actor they got for the audio drama was pretty great, basically the Alan Rickman bot from Rebels but psychopathic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Where’s the best place to get into the Dr Aphra stuff