Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Bolians think they're accepted but their so-called friends still snicker behind their back about how they look like a smurf in a ziploc bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

It's racism, Morty! They're a bunch of space racists, Morty! The Cardassians are *blluuup* a bunch of Nazis, *bllrrrup*, and Bajor is the Jews, Morty! The Maquis think they're like the french resistance but they're really a bunch of dumbass confederates! They're fighting for no reason over a dead past that always sucked and *blluuurrrp* and won't listen to anyone. They're all idiots, Morty! This is why you don't get involved in other people's problems, Morty! They're all racists and idiots *blluurrrrppp* fighting over something nobody *blurrrop* something nobody ever cared about. There are plenty of planets out there for everyone, Morty! But people are too attached to *blurrpp* to attached to meaningless things.

Now hold these *bluurrp* these peppers for me Morty, we gotta get outta here!

*Rick shoves a bag of Sisko's peppers into Morty's hands, opens dimensional portal as station security comes rounding the corner*

I need these peppers for *blurrp* for szechuan sauce and I'm not gonna let some overgrown piece of jello stop me, Morty!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Chomp8645 posted:

It's racism, Morty! They're a bunch of space racists, Morty! The Cardassians are *blluuup* a bunch of Nazis, *bllrrrup*, and Bajor is the Jews, Morty! The Maquis think they're like the french resistance but they're really a bunch of dumbass confederates! They're fighting for no reason over a dead past that always sucked and *blluuurrrp* and won't listen to anyone. They're all idiots, Morty! This is why you don't get involved in other people's problems, Morty! They're all racists and idiots *blluurrrrppp* fighting over something nobody *blurrrop* something nobody ever cared about. There are plenty of planets out there for everyone, Morty! But people are too attached to *blurrpp* to attached to meaningless things.

Now hold these *bluurrp* these peppers for me Morty, we gotta get outta here!

*Rick shoves a bag of Sisko's peppers into Morty's hands, opens dimensional portal as station security comes rounding the corner*

I need these peppers for *blurrp* for szechuan sauce and I'm not gonna let some overgrown piece of jello stop me, Morty!

This post is worse than the "Maquis are white supremacists" post.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
David Cronenberg was the only non-rear end in a top hat they have met so far. Disco future is chock full of assholes.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Whenever I think about the maquis for too long I get actually annoyed at these fictional yuppies who decided to start a war over a planet that, realistically, could not have been in Federation control until somewhat recently.

I mean it was at the edge of Fed territory in the 24th century, so surely these douchebags are committing genocides over planets they’ve lived on for a hot minute and no longer. Just loving move you dorks. All the planets look like the Angeles National Forest anyways. Who cares?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

hakimashou posted:

The maquis are equivalent to white supremacists or white separatists.

Acceptable races like human, vulcan, bolian whatever are the dominant 'white' races, and cardassians are the hated other.

lol wut.

Like, yea they hated cardassians but it was because of the whole cardassians being authoritative shitheads. It's not otherizing which is scapegoating some minority.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

whats the derpiest federation ship?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oberth

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

numberoneposter posted:

whats the derpiest federation ship?

The "Ctrl-V" class from Picard.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CainFortea posted:

lol wut.

Like, yea they hated cardassians but it was because of the whole cardassians being authoritative shitheads. It's not otherizing which is scapegoating some minority.

Is it otherizing to say that an entire universe of people are intrinsically, biologically evil, like was said this week of the Terrans? :thunk:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

holy poo poo I am not reading weird rick a nd morty fan fiction

weird star trek fan fiction ONLY

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/381004396259388/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

CainFortea posted:

lol wut.

Cardassians were frequently the target of explicitly racial slurs by starfleet officers and "you know what they are like" remarks.

As far as racist othering goes, maybe worf vs the romulans reaches the same level but nothing else does.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 14, 2020

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
watched "learning curve" (voyager season 1 finale) and it was terrible. everything about it was awful, even the "twist" (or bend, amiright) at the end. poo poo just sucked and was frustrating.

edit: oh god, just started season 2 and holy poo poo nose dive into poo poo

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 14, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

RaySmuckles posted:

watched "learning curve" (voyager season 1 finale) and it was terrible. everything about it was awful, even the "twist" (or bend, amiright) at the end. poo poo just sucked and was frustrating.

edit: oh god, just started season 2 and holy poo poo nose dive into poo poo

you could have just said "watched voyager"

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you could have just said "watched voyager"

i enjoyed season 1. my expectations were low and it definitely exceeded them

but now amelia earhart is in a star trek episode and (separately/unrelated) the show stubbornly refuses to do anything interesting

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

RaySmuckles posted:

i enjoyed season 1. my expectations were low and it definitely exceeded them

but now amelia earhart is in a star trek episode and (separately/unrelated) the show stubbornly refuses to do anything interesting

That's before Seven of Nine, who adds a lot to the show. ...until it becomes the Seven of Nine show. Still a good character, though. Also the Doctor gets progressively better and better as the show goes on.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

CainFortea posted:

lol wut.

They hated Cardassians because Cardassians violated the treaty that protected Federation citizens. From "The Maquis"

quote:

HUDSON: I knew him. Bill Samuels was a farmer. He cultivated his land for twenty years. He raised two kids on that land. He made something out of that land and the Federation told him he had to give it all up to the Cardassians. Well, he just was not willing to do that.
SISKO: And it was people like him who made both sides realise that some accommodation had to be made for the colonies so they could stay.
HUDSON: The Cardassians have no intention of allowing these people to stay. They will either force them out or they will kill them. It's already started. Not a day goes when there's not some random act of violence against our people. Every Federation colonist knows you do not go out alone at night. Can you imagine living in that kind of fear?
SISKO: If you're saying the Cardassian authorities are not enforcing the laws, we can
HUDSON: Enforcing the laws? The Cardassian authorities were part of a mob that stoned two colonists on the streets of Ropal City three days ago.
SISKO: That's something the Federation can take up with the Cardassians at the highest level.
HUDSON: Well that will help a lot. The word is the Cardassian High Command is arming their colonists to the teeth/

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

The last two episodes of Discovery were good. I prefer the trill episode though.

It has a serious problem with pacing, though. A lot of the episodes drag like hell for the first half and then are a hurricane for the second half.

Case in point is the second episode. The plot doesn't move AT ALL from the previous episode until the midpoint or the third half, and then all the plot movement happens at once. They could have interspersed the character moments with the plot moments and had a better rounded episode that doesn't drag it's feet as much.

I didn't like how quickly the admiral dropped his suspicions, like. He starts out deeply distrustful of them, then by the end of the episode he's like, well, okiedokie do whatever. They could have drawn that out over a few episodes and gone for more gradual pacing and it would have made a better arc, but could have also been boring as gently caress so, whatever.

I don't see the problem with the Terrans being biologically evil since that's literally the entire point of the mirror universe. And having a misfolded protein that predisposes you to psychopathy isn't an inherently terrible explanation for the mirror universe as a whole imo.

Also why the gently caress isn't discovery being sent out to repair the relays??? Communications should be the first priority so they can get a chance at rebuilding. Bahhhh.

It has a lot of flaws at the moment, still. And the first few episodes of this season were pretty poo poo, but it does seem to be improving.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 14, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

alexandriao posted:

I don't see the problem with the Terrans being biologically evil since that's literally the entire point of the mirror universe. And having a misfolded protein that predisposes you to psychopathy isn't an inherently terrible explanation for the mirror universe as a whole imo.

Also why the gently caress isn't discovery being sent out to repair the relays??? Communications should be the first priority so they can get a chance at rebuilding. Bahhhh.

It kinda messes with the original idea of the mirror universe in that it's the road not taken, it's entirely something that humanity could become if we're not careful. It's our very real dark side taken form.

Repairing the relays would be a good idea but there's thousands or tens of thousands of them, they probably need to rev up that project and get manufacturing ability and replacements.

It wouldn't be interesting to see onscreen but if the writers were good they'd start off an episode with disco returning from repair missions and imply that that's happening and episodes are when something else more immediate comes up that needs spore jumping. (Along those same lines, I do hope the next episode starts after a minor time jump with the implication there's been refitting and analysing and tech-sharing)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 14, 2020

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

If you want to destroy the starship with holographic walls all you have to do is hail them and shout “computer end program” and the entire crew gets blown into space. Job done.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Endless Trash posted:

If you want to destroy the starship with holographic walls all you have to do is hail them and shout “computer end program” and the entire crew gets blown into space. Job done.

Imagine someone on board flirting with a fine gentleman across the bar, and the fluttering of their eyes disables the system generating the ship.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

alexandriao posted:

the third half

The what?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endless Trash posted:

No, you just blink at it really quickly.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Voyager shows us that the Maquis totally 100% suck and it's a massive question mark how anything gets done at all, because unless they're forced to behave like Starfleet they just fight and disobey orders and do nothing all day.

B'Elanna shows up super late to work for a week straight, Chakotay's like "what gives?" She tells him she's been having dreams. But not nightmares, no. They're erotic dreams. She's been sleeping in past her shift start time every day because she wants to keep having sex dreams with the guy from Whose Line is it Anyway. She tells this to her direct supervisor. He agrees that this is a good reason to keep being late for work and fucks off to go be useless elsewhere.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It's not really a mystery why Voyager was stranded for so long

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Also I watched the episode where Kes is possessed by a raging warlord. Man, it made me wish they'd given Jennifer Lien a better character than perpetually doped up Neelix dater. She was a way better actress than the role usually let her be.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

You can split the episode into three parts. Unfortunately it was like 5am or something when I wrote that so I botched the sentence :lmao:

if it was me i would simply correct the mistake by saying that you can split it into three parts each that can be split in two, so the third half is...

no that doesn't work either

MikeJF posted:

[spoiler]It kinda messes with the original idea of the mirror universe in that it's the road not taken, it's entirely something that humanity could become if we're not careful. It's our very real dark side taken form.

That's a fair point! Although they've already said about other physiological differences so it isn't that far removed from what's already been shown.

MikeJF posted:

Repairing the relays would be a good idea but there's thousands or tens of thousands of them, they probably need to rev up that project and get manufacturing ability and replacements.

Discovery can get to them in five seconds, so it makes sense for it to be the priority. Also they seem to just be able to fix anything without needing stuff.

MikeJF posted:

It wouldn't be interesting to see onscreen but if the writers were good they'd start off an episode with disco returning from repair missions and imply that that's happening and episodes are when something else more immediate comes up that needs spore jumping. (Along those same lines, I do hope the next episode starts after a minor time jump with the implication there's been refitting and analysing and tech-sharing)

Yeah! Either that or show the last ten seconds of fixing one. It would be a good plot-mover, too. "USS Edinburgh just communicated through the newly opened comm link that they're in trouble!!" or whatever.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

womb with a view posted:

Voyager shows us that the Maquis totally 100% suck and it's a massive question mark how anything gets done at all, because unless they're forced to behave like Starfleet they just fight and disobey orders and do nothing all day.

B'Elanna shows up super late to work for a week straight, Chakotay's like "what gives?" She tells him she's been having dreams. But not nightmares, no. They're erotic dreams. She's been sleeping in past her shift start time every day because she wants to keep having sex dreams with the guy from Whose Line is it Anyway. She tells this to her direct supervisor. He agrees that this is a good reason to keep being late for work and fucks off to go be useless elsewhere.

What, you don't think having a good work/life balance is important?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

alexandriao posted:

You can split the episode into three parts. Unfortunately it was like 5am or something when I wrote that so I botched the sentence :lmao:

if it was me i would simply correct the mistake by saying that you can split it into three parts each that can be split in two, so the third half is...

no that doesn't work either

I was just joshing, but OTOH it could have been some wild new non-euclidean episode structure

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

womb with a view posted:

Let he among us who hath not dreamed of licking Colin Mochrie's bald head cast the first stone.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Realistically, what is Chakotay going to do? Fire her out an airlock?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The General posted:

Demote her to be junior to Harry Kim

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

What? The same thing that would happen on any other ship: reprimand (official and unofficial), punitive work assignments, loss of privileges, the brig, etc.

Of course she's stubborn, so maybe she'd just ignore all normal stuff, not do punitive assignments, and then you either don't have an engineer cause she's in the brig or you just deal with it I guess.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The General posted:

Lon Suder was a serial killer and all they did was confine him to quarters.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Listen, the Maquis leadership knew Tuvok was a spy, so they assigned him to the ship full of the dumbest people in the entire movement on purpose.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

mango sentinel posted:

Lon Suder was a serial killer and all they did was confine him to quarters.

Voyager should have had a MACO squad comprised entirely of people who committed crimes that would otherwise get you imprisoned/expelled from Starfleet, and the mentally deranged. It would really fit the whole Voyager theme if they had a dedicated armed assault team of criminals and psychos.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Chomp8645 posted:

Voyager should have had a MACO squad comprised entirely of people who committed crimes that would otherwise get you imprisoned/expelled from Starfleet, and the mentally deranged. It would really fit the whole Voyager theme if they had a dedicated armed assault team of criminals and psychos.

It's called the Hazard Team!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I mean there's an ethical dilemma of what to do with any Marquis who just plain didn't want to work as a Starfleet crew and scrub power conduits or whatever, since, well, unlike the starfleet people they didn't sign up for this and basically slave-driving them to work would be super wrong. On a better show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

that was a goofy season of red dwarf but it had its moments