Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Guillermus posted:

That being said, DS2 feels kinda weird but I like it. I love playing all Dark Souls (and Demon's Souls) despide whatever flaws each one has. Because of VideoGame's stream I'm streaming a new Bloodborne character, even if no one is actually watching my channel and I find it really fun to do a session without stopping or grinding. Might keep doing it after Bloodborne with all other games.

Yeah, honestly I just get really mad about when games I really like otherwise have one flaw that bothers me very much. If a game is just straight garbage who cares. It's the same with Revengeance's camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm not sure if they properly fixed it in SOTFS, but if i remember right, the reason why weapons would break so easily were if the weapon itself went through objects or terrain, because apparently it counts as multiple hits the farther you strike with your weapon.

That's how you were able to break Santier's Spear in a couple of minutes by tapping R1 on some raised elevated terrain. This is also how your whip would go through walls and turn to dust in seconds

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I think the only thing that they ever fixed is made it so that it didn't scale with framerate

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Dremcon posted:

I’m doing a coop run with my brother and settled on warped sword/washing pole power stance, at least for now. I realized I’ve never done a DS2 run with a low durability weapon before (katanas, etc.). We haven’t made it to Drangleic yet so I can’t buy unlimited repair powder. Is it a pain/concern?

I’ve been thinking of dual great swords because why not, but I need more strength.
Warped Sword is a mighty fine weapon on its own, so if the Pole gets low, you can just eschew its use for a while. Still, consider keeping a backup weapon that fills a niche you don't have access to right now. For example, both of your weapons (and katana's in the left hand anyway unless you want to exit powerstance -> twohand it all the time) have bad backstab/riposte damage. A good dex-scaling dagger (plain Dagger even) might be a good secondary to keep upgraded, and pull out in a pinch as well as to obliterate enemies that are easy to backstab. Pair it with a Target Shield, and you've got a good silver bullet against parryable enemies going!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Weapons degrade a lot faster on DS2 compared to any other. It also throws at you upgrade materials so having more than one weapon upgraded is a must, that or having a lot of repair powder. A thing that kinda bothers me is that certain weapons have such low durability that make them annoying to use.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Weapons degrade a lot faster on DS2 compared to any other. It also throws at you upgrade materials so having more than one weapon upgraded is a must, that or having a lot of repair powder. A thing that kinda bothers me is that certain weapons have such low durability that make them annoying to use.

Are you playing pc unpatched. It's a known glitch tied to higher framerates

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They're not talking about that, ds2 weapons do also just break way faster than in the other games(which is why they autorepair at bonfires). Like if you're using a shortsword or dagger in forest of the fallen giants you will run into durability issues and want to switch to another weapon before it breaks.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Allegedly there are possibly still issues with durability if you hit multiple enemies at the same time or some other, similar factor.

Not 100% sure on that myself but I did notice while clearing out DLC3 that my King's UGS got half worn down at one point which is suspiciously low for one of the most durable weapons in the game. ...But that also might've been while I was doing the full Loyce Knight loops which do get long in the tooth and have the occasional hedgehogs to contend with so :shrug: The only other time it got that low was against Sinh, natch.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
My understanding is that weapons lose durability on every 1/30th of a second they are considered to be in contact with something. It used to be every frame but they fixed that.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I forget if it's contact with walls, contact with dead bodies, or both, but yes, weapons in DS2 degrade in ways they don't in other games. (Or at least don't as much; durability replenished at bonfires in DS3 too but it was barely a concern)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Has anyone ever had to use a repair powder or have a weapon actually break in DS3?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

DS2 giving the choice of two sidearms combined with the low durability felt like the game was signalling that you should be using more than one weapon. At least until you get into the game's groove having a couple different options and switching to them feels pretty good.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
This also ties in to the higher resistances to certain types; eg skellies and armored dudes get wrecked by blunt damage while piercing is great against the weaker ones; and the DLC fodder having quite high magic resistance. Rolling with a mace and a rapier is a very good strat, even if you have to spread around your titanite you'll still deal more damage overall.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

The true way to play DS2 is to have every one of your six hand slots filled with something useful. :colbert:

To the guy looking for a weapon, fully recommend Pate's Spear, tho you need a pretty high DEX to use it. Pairs well with daggers, caestus, axes.

If you prefer STR/quality, Grand Lance is also available early and is a real trooper.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Probably going to do a spear/caestus run. Left Pate for Earthen. Just finished the first chunk of dungeon, and luckily fought 2 early Pursuers in other folks' games back to back, then again in mine, for a tidy 60k souls in one session :cool:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Appoda posted:

The true way to play DS2 is to have every one of your six hand slots filled with something useful. :colbert:

Extremely this, at least late game.

For fun spears, don't forget about the Silverblack Spear. A pain to grind for, but it's the Partisan moveset with a boatload of dark damage.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Got a fancy new Xbox and ds2 sotfs happened to be on sale for less than a 6-pack so now I’m playing a mage. I’ve played through the game several times on both PC and PS4, I can’t stop.

Edit: I don’t remember where all the cool mage shirts is.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Nov 17, 2020

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
So what’s the deal with the supersonic hollow in Huntsman’s Copse anyway?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I think he’s there to try and goad you into rushing into a mess. One of the areas he shows up at is the walk up to the bridge that needs to be dropped where a half dozen Undead Thieves are waiting to ambush you, and he’ll lead ya to the centre of that group if you chase him.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

He also drops something special, though I forget what. But yeah, he's there to get you to follow him into encounters.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I think it just drops repair powder

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Are you playing pc unpatched. It's a known glitch tied to higher framerates

DS2 SOTFS on both PC and PS4 have faster weapon degradation than the rest of the series, is what I meant. Even after patched, DS1 (cept for the crystal upgraded weapons) and DS3 have negligible weapon degradation.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is it possible to still download GeDoSaTo anywhere? I liked using the texture override options to replace the xbox icons.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Proletarian Mango posted:

Is it possible to still download GeDoSaTo anywhere? I liked using the texture override options to replace the xbox icons.
Dunno about GeDoSaTo, but this mod might work for you.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Thanks unfortunately it doesn't work for the base game which is all I have.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Proletarian Mango posted:

Thanks unfortunately it doesn't work for the base game which is all I have.
I just checked it now and it's still valid for OG DS2, but you can't just replace the whole folder. Scholar DS2's fonts are entirely .dcx files; OG DS2 has those plus some additional stuff. So instead you need to overwrite the .dcx font files individually.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

I just checked it now and it's still valid for OG DS2, but you can't just replace the whole folder. Scholar DS2's fonts are entirely .dcx files; OG DS2 has those plus some additional stuff. So instead you need to overwrite the .dcx font files individually.

Oh, cool beans. Thank you for figuring that out.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey, just coming to this from DS1 and have a couple questions:

Is the shortsword going to be viable all game?

Any other weapons with a decent mix of thrusting and slashing attacks I should be looking for?

Is boosting dex and str something I should be doing beyond the bare minimum for weapon requirements? I've been getting an increase of just 1 or 2 damage with B scaling which doesn't seem like a good investment.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I went through most of DS2 with a Claymore. R1 is sweeping, R2 is thrust, then a slash.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey, just coming to this from DS1 and have a couple questions:

Is the shortsword going to be viable all game?

Any other weapons with a decent mix of thrusting and slashing attacks I should be looking for?

Is boosting dex and str something I should be doing beyond the bare minimum for weapon requirements? I've been getting an increase of just 1 or 2 damage with B scaling which doesn't seem like a good investment.

I have no real experience with the short sword, but there are several great slash and thrust options. The Longsword, specifically, is an incredible option with a thrusting R2. The claymore is also pretty good for that if you wanna step up to Greatsword sized weapons.

As for stats, you will want to boost your Strength and/or Dexterity beyond the minimum unless you’re playing a Caster. Raising both is a great option in DS2 and is referred to as a Quality Build, and is great for letting you wield pretty much anything. This is particularly useful in DS2 as you have three weapon sets to play with versus DS1’s two. You can easily go through the whole game carrying a long sword, winged spear and mace with a quality build.

There’s also Power Stancing, where if you have 150% of the required stats to wield a weapon, you can pair it with another weapon in your off hand and go into a special stance that changes your L1 and L2 attacks to special dual wielding animations. It gives up using a shield, but it’s generally worth it. Special mention to pairing the Warped Sword with another Curved Sword to get a rad spinning L2 attack.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Scaling in DS2 reflects a percentage of your related ATK Up stat, without reference to the weapon's base damage. Because Dex weapons swing more often, the multiplier used by scaling for Dex is less than other stats to maintain more consistent overall DPS. It's still worth doing if you're doing a dex build, and higher stat requirements are more common than in DS1; there are ~58 weapons in DS2 that require 20 or more Dex, compared to 11 in DS1. Some of those DS2 weapons aren't even primarily Dex weapons, either.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

DS2 has a more gradual leveling curve so you'll be able to afford 40/40 in two attack stats by endgame regardless.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

i am tim! posted:

I have no real experience with the short sword, but there are several great slash and thrust options. The Longsword, specifically, is an incredible option with a thrusting R2. The claymore is also pretty good for that if you wanna step up to Greatsword sized weapons.

As for stats, you will want to boost your Strength and/or Dexterity beyond the minimum unless you’re playing a Caster. Raising both is a great option in DS2 and is referred to as a Quality Build, and is great for letting you wield pretty much anything. This is particularly useful in DS2 as you have three weapon sets to play with versus DS1’s two. You can easily go through the whole game carrying a long sword, winged spear and mace with a quality build.

There’s also Power Stancing, where if you have 150% of the required stats to wield a weapon, you can pair it with another weapon in your off hand and go into a special stance that changes your L1 and L2 attacks to special dual wielding animations. It gives up using a shield, but it’s generally worth it. Special mention to pairing the Warped Sword with another Curved Sword to get a rad spinning L2 attack.

Ahh, thanks. Quality build sounds like a good idea to try out some different weapons.

I was experimenting with power stance shortswords at the ogre in the river - it was neat, but I think I'll need some more endurance to make the stamina drain less of a liability. I'd do some sick moves and then be unable to roll past a hit :v:

Paracelsus posted:

Scaling in DS2 reflects a percentage of your related ATK Up stat, without reference to the weapon's base damage. Because Dex weapons swing more often, the multiplier used by scaling for Dex is less than other stats to maintain more consistent overall DPS. It's still worth doing if you're doing a dex build, and higher stat requirements are more common than in DS1; there are ~58 weapons in DS2 that require 20 or more Dex, compared to 11 in DS1. Some of those DS2 weapons aren't even primarily Dex weapons, either.

huh, interesting. So I should take swing speed into account for dex weapons.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Unless you really need the stats for something, there's no reason not to take a longsword over the shortsword. Very flexible weapon, quick and easy to use.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
Shortsword's got the neato one-handed thrust attack and the longsword doesn't. It's true you can just switch to two-handing whenever you need to stab something with the longsword but I could see someone valuing the convenience of having the thrust available with one hand. The shortsword's good enough to be viable, so stick with it if you like it imo

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Maybe things are different in DS2, but my go-to in DS1 was two-handing relatively quick weapons so I could get a little extra power and reach while still being able to dodge stuff. Just found a fire longsword too!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Maybe things are different in DS2, but my go-to in DS1 was two-handing relatively quick weapons so I could get a little extra power and reach while still being able to dodge stuff. Just found a fire longsword too!

DS2 still rewards that. Like an optimal way to get the "no deaths" and "no bonfire sitting" ring rewards on a fast runthrough of the game is to grab a rapier, two hand it, buff it with magic, and go to town on every required boss sitting between you and the end of the game. Most of the base game's bosses are trundling dinguses that can't really compete with fast, aggressive weapons anyway, so that works just fine. The DLC bosses will be a bit harder no matter what, and there's one that will be rapid-degrading your weapons, which means smaller or dex-based ones that tend to have less durability will probably break once or twice in the fight, but really there's such a huge variety of creative weapons in DS2 that any two combinations of strength, dexterity, magic, miracles, hexes, and pyromancies are a lot of fun.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I've had a couple really fun runs.

If you build around ceastus and then rush 2 bone fists by using a bonefire ascetic you can play the rest of the game as an absolute badass.

I also really like going hex/dex with a spear and dark orb. It's probably the most OP build I've played personally. Once you hit the dlc and magic isn't as useful you can transition to using a Moonlight Greatsword, either enchanted or magic depending on the situation. For some reason I have 3 of them on my mage lol.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You actually don't need a second bone fist. Power stancing it with a caestus will still get you the additional moves.

If I ever get the itch to go run through SOTFS it's going to be a punchy fist run for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

You actually don't need a second bone fist. Power stancing it with a caestus will still get you the additional moves.

If I ever get the itch to go run through SOTFS it's going to be a punchy fist run for sure.

You don’t need it, but it’s all about the fashion.