Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Azathoth posted:

generals will literally see the damage that drones can do to massed infantry and conclude that what they need to do is have so much infantry around that the drones cant take it all out

depends on how expensive the infantry is, ISIS could apparently do that for almost forever.

the options aren’t that dire there are bofors 40mm guns or the phalanx that would do an ok job, although the phalanx would spend more in bullets than any drone would cost. there all kinds of electronic warfare things that could be tried, but they can absolutely be shot down with a modern AA gun at a reasonable exchange rate.

Torpor has issued a correction as of 04:46 on Nov 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Succbot Circlejerk
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Succbot Circlejerk posted:

Yes it mentions the resettlement of "internally displaced dp's" which is a huge telegraph that there are going to be some p's who will be d'ed

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Al-Saqr posted:

So the big question is what did Turkey gain by helping Azerbaijan win this war? Was the region vital to them strategically? Is there like an oil pipeline planned or something? If they wanted this as a test case for their drones it seems like it was a complete success in that regard.

they got to bully armenia again

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Succbot Circlejerk posted:

Yes it mentions the resettlement of "internally displaced do's" which is a huge telegraph that there are going to be some p's who will be d'ed

I wouldn’t be shocked if that doesn’t actually happen for a whole host of reasons.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Arven posted:

I really think it was a chance to try out modern toys against a conventional opponent that they couldn't pass up. The drone war of this conflict will be studied like the american civil war was before WW1.

The tactic of converting old AN-2s into unmanned craft to use as bait for anti-air systems so the drones could avoid/fire at them was very clever.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Torpor posted:

depends on how expensive the infantry is, ISIS could apparently do that for almost forever.

the options aren’t that dire there are bofors 40mm guns or the phalanx that would do an ok job, although the phalanx would spend more in bullets than any drone would cost. there all kinds of electronic warfare things that could be tried, but they can absolutely be shot down with a modern AA gun at a reasonable exchange rate.

bring back barrage balloons damnit

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Sinteres posted:

Seems like at least some of the anger isn't just about the capitulation, but about the government lying and continuing to fight if there was no hope.

https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1325973610905919488
https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1325981117703479299

this is like living in 1919 but where it was hitler instead of marx

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

So the big question is what did Turkey gain by helping Azerbaijan win this war? Was the region vital to them strategically? Is there like an oil pipeline planned or something? If they wanted this as a test case for their drones it seems like it was a complete success in that regard.

from my extreme armchair perspective didn't they just do a favor to Russia, because Russia gets a 5 year peacekeeping contract based on that argeement, right? doesn't that effectively grant Russia a great reason to keep a fairly sizeable chunk of troops right between the caspian and the black seas?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Tempora Mutantur posted:

from my extreme armchair perspective didn't they just do a favor to Russia, because Russia gets a 5 year peacekeeping contract based on that argeement, right? doesn't that effectively grant Russia a great reason to keep a fairly sizeable chunk of troops right between the caspian and the black seas?

they already have that

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
maybe kim kardashian can go over there and sort it out, like eva peron

"okay she couldn't act/ but she had the right friends / and we all know that a career depends / on knowing the right fella to be stellaaaaa!!!"

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1325979314987409409?s=19

Succbot Circlejerk
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That dude's doing the hail Hydra salute

This poo poo goes deep

This poo poo just got real

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Azathoth posted:

generals will literally see the damage that drones can do to massed infantry and conclude that what they need to do is have so much infantry around that the drones cant take it all out

maybe if the drones see [i]too much [i] death, their AI will learn morality

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Are you sure this wasn't actually taken in the aftermath of a NFC East Eagles loss?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

i say swears online posted:

maybe if the drones see [i]too much [i] death, their AI will learn morality

https://rifters.com/real/shorts/PeterWatts_Malak.pdf

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/dersi4m/status/1325979522894868480

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

deaf, dump and blind

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

https://twitter.com/neilphauer/status/1325979314987409409?s=21

lol at the dudes trying to protect the flagpole from the megaphone dudes fighting

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Russians are probably happy that they get to keep troops in Armenia and next to Turkey, and Armenia dependent on them, forever?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

https://twitter.com/neilphauer/status/1325979314987409409?s=21

lol at the dudes trying to protect the flagpole from the megaphone dudes fighting

lmao at the guy who got hit in the face with a thrown water bottle near the end

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this was neat, thank you

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Thanks for this!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/Zinvor/status/1327303352951197699

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

yup

i don’t know where people got this idea pogroms wouldn’t happen, it was telegraphed pretty obviously. when was that one Armenian guy hacked to death w an ax? 2004? then after the guy was charged, he was sent back to azerbaijan and pardoned and hailed as a national hero

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/afp/status/1327557723626594304?s=21

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
It’s pretty shocking how decisively and quickly Armenia got defeated, I was expecting this to be one those forever proxy wars. I wonder how the turks will start adjusting to the new reality that they’ve become a significant force to be reckoned with thanks to their drone power.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MARCH ON VIENNA

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

I mean, someones gotta get rid of Viktor Orban and Sebastian Kurz somehow.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the turkish-hungarian war of late 2020, known as the largest spectator sport in the history of mankind,

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

It’s pretty shocking how decisively and quickly Armenia got defeated, I was expecting this to be one those forever proxy wars. I wonder how the turks will start adjusting to the new reality that they’ve become a significant force to be reckoned with thanks to their drone power.

Proxy wars can be really short if one of the sides is able to find a great power benefactor and the other isn't :v:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Al-Saqr posted:

I mean, someones gotta get rid of Viktor Orban and Sebastian Kurz somehow.
:hai:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

aphid_licker posted:

Proxy wars can be really short if one of the sides is able to find a great power benefactor and the other isn't :v:

Yeah, isn't the story of this basically that the Azeris got significant support from Turkey (and Israel?) but the Armenians did not get a commensurate level of support from Russia and that proved decisive?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, isn't the story of this basically that the Azeris got significant support from Turkey (and Israel?) but the Armenians did not get a commensurate level of support from Russia and that proved decisive?

It's really not support, Baku made multi-billion dollars hardware buys after the last few wars to upgrade and re-vamp their military with the latest technology including drones with high loiter capability.

It ended up being a similar buzz-saw like when the Iraqis with the Cold War style military design and outdated doctines went against the US during Desert Storm.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also when neither side can really replace poo poo bc it's all imports the guy who starts out with the most toys wins

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

shovelbum posted:

Also when neither side can really replace poo poo bc it's all imports the guy who starts out with the most toys wins

Probably the same with great powers, doubt that you can just crank up the F-35 or T-90 production line at a couple weeks' notice and bang out ten times as many as normal

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1327709317403914240

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Azathoth posted:

what no

this is the story of two kids buying packs of pokemon cards. one kid buys one pack and one kid buys eight and they play a game

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

etalian posted:

It's really not support, Baku made multi-billion dollars hardware buys after the last few wars to upgrade and re-vamp their military with the latest technology including drones with high loiter capability.

It was pretty clear that Turkish personnel were also on the ground, it wasn't just arms sales.

The story is that Armenia had a "half" color-revolution where the old government was thrown out and a new liberal government was put in, but unlike Ukraine they decided to stick with an alliance with the Russians and the Russian didn't directly react. However, it isn't a secret that the Kremlin still preferred to see that government out of Yerevan, but they weren't going to act directly to make it happen. When the war started (which I don't think was part of the plan), they basically did the minimum not to violate their alliance with the Armenians but were clearly not providing substantial support and when Azerbaijan inevitably won, Russia came in as peacemakers.

Also, it probably should be stated that even for the standards of the former Soviet Union that Armenia wasn't prepared to fight a war. They didn't have an air force to really speak of and their S-300 systems (for example) were from the mid-1980s and most of their armor were relics.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:00 on Nov 14, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

An addendum, I thought the current Armenian government was elected on a revanchist platform, correct me if I'm wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

radio war nerd just came out with a really great post-mortem of the war. they were obviously sympathetic to the armenian side but the analysis of why they lost is pretty sober