Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

You better never look into the Freep thread over in D&D then because Freepers do this poo poo all the time (they came up with some unintentionally hilarious nicknames for Obama though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
“Democrat Party” is in the same category to me as Michigan fans trying to own Ohio State by calling it “Ohio”

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

The democrat party thing is funny because democrats have unimaginably thin skins and will lose their minds over the most trivial things. Also given the way they worked so hard to exclude the Green Party from ballots and held a transparently undemocratic primary this cycle it seems inaccurate to append the “ic.”

The Bloop posted:

Except that it immediately makes you sound like a far worse kind of person

So if you don't mind apparently self identifying as a chud, go right ahead

It would be incredibly simpleminded to assume that anyone who opposes democrats is necessarily in the tank for Trump as if there aren’t myriad reasons to find their current national platform and members abhorrent.

The Bloop posted:

It's currently verbal shorthand for "I own an article of clothing and/or a flag that says Trump on it"

oh no

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

System Metternich posted:

You better never look into the Freep thread over in D&D then because Freepers do this poo poo all the time (they came up with some unintentionally hilarious nicknames for Obama though)
The Fresh Prince of Bill Ayers is my favorite fake name for B-Rock The Islamic Shock Superallah Hussein Obama.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Obi-wan Nairobi.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Henchman of Santa posted:

“Democrat Party” is in the same category to me as Michigan fans trying to own Ohio State by calling it “Ohio”

Which was likely a response to whatever shithead Buckeye coach refused to call Michigan by name and referred to it only as "that state up north."

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
To be fair, check the comments section of any left or lib-leaning website and you'll see plenty of "tRump" "Drumpf" "Republicants" and other juvenile bullshit. Whether that language successfully triggers the chuds I do not know.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Which was likely a response to whatever shithead Buckeye coach refused to call Michigan by name and referred to it only as "that state up north."

I believe that started with Woody Hayes and it's "That school up north." Also they do that stupid thing where they refuse to use the letter M the week of the game. It's truly the most Midwestern rivalry.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Columbus doesn't have a pro football or basketball team, so the OSU-Michigan rivalry is literally the most important sports thing in the entire city.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

ultrafilter posted:

Columbus doesn't have a pro football or basketball team, so the OSU-Michigan rivalry is literally the most important sports thing in the entire city.

I lived there for a dozen years and hoooooo boy was Columbus even worse before the Blue Jackets and Crew came to town. The former's still very much an afterthought, but there's a great fanbase now for the latter (so much so that they were chiefly responsible in thwarting the owner's efforts to move the team to Austin).

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Henchman of Santa posted:

this makes even less sense to non-americans than the democratic/democrat thing

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

redleader posted:

Pointing out that something is in, around, related to, or named after the state of Ohio is a devastating burn.

Related:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Loucks posted:

The democrat party thing is funny because democrats have unimaginably thin skins and will lose their minds over the most trivial things. Also given the way they worked so hard to exclude the Green Party from ballots and held a transparently undemocratic primary this cycle it seems inaccurate to append the “ic.”

It would be incredibly simpleminded to assume that anyone who opposes democrats is necessarily in the tank for Trump as if there aren’t myriad reasons to find their current national platform and members abhorrent.

oh no

No one who opposes the Democrats from the left plays dog whistle schoolyard insult poo poo with the name though.

It's in-group signaling AND it's gaslighting vague deniable bullshit for alt-right shitheads

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

Outrail posted:

What the gently caress. I'd never heard of this. Are you all playing some weird gaslight games or something?

It's not gaslighting, it's calvinball.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The Bloop posted:

No one who opposes the Democrats from the left plays dog whistle schoolyard insult poo poo with the name though.

Have you seen the internet? This is just statistically unlikely

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Have you seen the internet? This is just statistically unlikely

It’s a really funny post because leftists using the term in D&D to annoy liberals and the liberals’ immediate and hilarious overreaction is, to my knowledge, the origin of its recent popularity on the forums.

This is a good one.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

System Metternich posted:

Hussein Clown Posse

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

redleader posted:

It makes just as little sense to me and I’m from Michigan and went to college in Ohio.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Full chart:
https://jameskennedymonash.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/table-of-organic-compounds-and-their-smells-w12.pdf

Tag yourself, I'm too unstable to smell.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm dead animal urine

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Attracts sperm? How can something smell like an attraction?

I'm fruity and ethereal.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I'm the sweet spot between sweet, pleasant, and vomitous gasoline fragrance.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I'm pungent and suffocating.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm -anal.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm ~fruity, ethereal~ -anal

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'm meth anal.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

If I have learned anything, it's that freshly cut grass is one of the last things you want to smell in a lab

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

"Attracts Sperm" !??

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ignite Memories posted:

"Attracts Sperm" !??

Sperm movement towards the ovum follows a chemical trail, and presumably that specific aldehyde either plays role in it, or triggers a similar response when introduced to the sperm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemotaxis

E: Well look at that:

quote:

Recently it was found that in vitro, bourgeonal acts as a chemo-attractant for human spermatozoa, activating an olfactory receptor called OR1D2 (formerly called hOR17-4)[1] which opens calcium ion channels in the sperm, leading them to swim twice as fast.[2] Bourgeonal is suspected to be involved in helping sperm locate the ovum.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 00:29 on Nov 17, 2020

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

My brain is trying to see "ethereal" as "urethral".

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

You're a goon. Of course you smell.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

seems written by a non-chemist because "methene" is nonsense

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think they mean methylene.

Which uh... I guess is a methane molecule with the carbon double bonded to itself instead of two hydrogens, if you look at it very sideways :v:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

MrUnderbridge posted:

You're a goon. Of course you smell.
Just put everyone down for "pungent & suffocating".

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

OOOOH we're posting James Kennedy?

He's a genius. Of course he made that chart. He also made the esters chart:

And something else he did was of course made the "Ingredients of an all-natural banana" poster that went viral a couple years ago.

This poster is entirely accurate as far as I can tell.
He wanted to make a point about how "scary sounding chemicals" are just as much in natural products as they are in artificial products, it's just that in natural products it's not normally required to put them in the ingredient list. He made similar ones for all sorts of other fruits.

He also wrote books about chemophobia and the idiotic idea that anything natural is always safer than anything artificial. An all-round cool guy.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Methene is a systemic name, and those frequently never come up outside of discussions of systemic names. They also call it out as too unstable to evaluate, though, so it probably is bullshit on top of that.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Now do a chart of Esthers

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Buttchocks posted:

Now do a chart of Espers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire