Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Bismuth posted:

Well i live in a super fertile agricultural area on top of uniquely good soil so I think it would be cool if it wasnt entirely paved over, and we also produce loads of nice nuts and berries which are already expensive but affordable if you buy directly from the farm

There are loads of empty lots and abandoned buildings around, idk why they cant develop on them instead of leaving them bare and decaying while paving all the arable land. They even already have roads and utilities, and are pre-flattened, it seems like it would be cheaper

removing old pipes and basements costs more than building on new land.
that's easily fixable by introducing a "build on free land" tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Do any people who aren't rich and "white"* live anywhere near those empty lots and abandoned buildings?

*) Or whoever are the main oppressors wherever it is you live.
Damnit

Media Bloodbath posted:

removing old pipes and basements costs more than building on new land.
that's easily fixable by introducing a "build on free land" tax.

Ugh really? The areas they always end up building on are like super hilly farmland and they have to do massive earthworks just to get it ready to build on, in addition to running all the utilities to it.

Its mostly rich (white) californians buying our cheap land/homes, developing it, and selling it to other rich (white) californians, driving the housing/renting prices up to the point that us whomst are not rich are getting pushed into worse apartments or right out of the city just to make rent.

And they brought the HOAs in too which im 100% convinced are a conspiracy to either drive out or at least punish poor people for trying to live anywhere thats not one of the creepy little hillbilly towns around here

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Its very fortunate that we have infinite amounts of energy and (usable) sand to support this constant re-development of socially less useful buildings, isn’t it.

Wait, what? :ohdear:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
HOAs started as a segregationist tool. That's all you need to know. Many early HOA contracts included clauses explicitly forbidding sales to minorities.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

anonumos posted:

HOAs started as a segregationist tool. That's all you need to know. Many early HOA contracts included clauses explicitly forbidding sales to minorities.

I KNEW THEY WERE EVIL

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Urban farming works well in Cuba :shrug:

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Inceltown posted:

Australian benefits are being cut in the middle of the pandemic and to earn them you have to go to work. Literally go to work to get unemployment. You don't get paid an actual wage for these jobs, just (hopefully) don't get your payment stopped.

You may be sorting donations at a warehouse drop off centre. Maybe it's cold calling people about some stupid bullshit to try get donations. Possibly even something as exciting as breaking down old pallets so they can be turned into pallets.

We're exceeding cruel with unemployment here.

But... if you have to work to get unemployment that means you have less time to look for jobs, submit resumes, write cover letters, and good luck trying to schedule interviews around your unpaid busy work

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

ekuNNN posted:

Rejecting grandmas fur coat isnt going to bring the 100yr old dead weasels back to life

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
But if nobody wears old furs, then new furs won't be bought to meet fashion.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ekuNNN posted:

at least my grandmas bone china and porcelaine garfield figurines will hold value...

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

ekuNNN posted:

furs? all my grandma left me was debts from getting fleeced

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Breakfast All Day posted:

furs? all my grandma left me was debts from getting fleeced

least you can leave that for your grandkids

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

ekuNNN posted:

They don't want grandma's condiments either, the little shits

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2018/08/11/mayonnaise-industry-millennials/

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Crazycryodude posted:

Good. Mayo is loving gross.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

Good. Mayo is loving gross.

Yeah, but we're gonna be stuck with him every 4 years (democrat party administrations notwithstanding)

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

ekuNNN posted:

yes I'd like a winter coat please. one that's ridiculously expensive, extremely heavy and uncomfortable, impossible to clean and might get red paint thrown on it.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Wait do fur coats actually last 60 years

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

one day someone will inherit grandma's fursuit, but only if we survive the next XX-XXX years. do your part, be a furry.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

shovelbum posted:

They can last even longer if properly maintained. Ceremonial robes and caps of certain UK officials used to have natural fur bands and trims, and in some places the fur was over several centuries old. Maybe some of those are still in use, but I think they've switched to synthetic fur for all new ceremonial wear some years ago.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/AmazonHelp/status/1327654526963376128

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78ATHfSwf-A

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

They can last even longer if properly maintained. Ceremonial robes and caps of certain UK officials used to have natural fur bands and trims, and in some places the fur was over several centuries old. Maybe some of those are still in use, but I think they've switched to synthetic fur for all new ceremonial wear some years ago.

This seems like a good argument in favor of fur holy poo poo

Why does it offend people so much more than other battery livestock that gets used to make a chicken nugget that lasts 5 seconds

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

shovelbum posted:

This seems like a good argument in favor of fur holy poo poo

Why does it offend people so much more than other battery livestock that gets used to make a chicken nugget that lasts 5 seconds

Mink are cute, chickens are assholes

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agDi-gVpvtw

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

Mink are cute, chickens are assholes

Oh they look like a weasel to me op

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I had guinea pigs as a kid and I guess I got used to my cute pet being someone else's dinner

How!
Oct 29, 2009

shovelbum posted:

I own a rabbit fur coat from the 20s. It’s a bit patchy, but yeah they hold up well.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

"identity condiments" lmao

loving millennials, getting their goddamn gender fluids everywhere yet again

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

"identity condiments" lmao

loving millennials, getting their goddamn gender fluids everywhere yet again

Citing, straightfaced, Kendra Pierre-Louis on mayonnaise when she admits she is just someone with an aversion and a platform lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh man that article is amazing

quote:

Lately, though, I’ve had my feet cut out from under me. For years — nay, decades — my contributions to the Hingston clan’s Memorial Day and Fourth of July and Labor Day gatherings were no-brainers: I made what my mother once made. She was such a good cook that when she died prematurely, my husband and I typed up and photocopied (quaint, I know) a booklet of her recipes, tried-and-true favorites on which she built her formidable culinary reputation. When the holidays rolled around, I simply re-created one of her delicious dishes and toted it along.

Along about a decade ago, though, I began to notice I was toting home as much of my offerings as I’d concocted. My contributions were being overlooked — or shunned. Why should this be? Mom’s extraordinary potato salad — fragrant with dill, spiced by celery seed — went untouched on the picnic table. So did her macaroni salad, and her chicken salad, and her deviled eggs. … When I carted home a good three pounds of painstakingly prepared Waldorf salad — all that peeling and coring and slicing! — I was forced to face facts: The family’s tastes had changed. Or, rather, our family had changed. Oldsters were dying off, and the young ’uns taking our places in the paper-plate line were different somehow.

I racked my brain for the source of this generational disconnect. And then, one holiday weekend, while surveying the condiments set out at a family burger bash, I found it. On offer were four different kinds of mustard, three ketchups (one made from, I kid you not, bananas), seven sorts of salsa, kimchi, wasabi, relishes of every ilk and hue …

What was missing, though, was the common foundation of all Mom’s picnic foods: mayonnaise. While I wasn’t watching, mayo’s day had come and gone. It’s too basic for contemporary tastes — pale and insipid and not nearly exotic enough for our era of globalization. Good ol’ mayo has become the Taylor Swift of condiments.

Maybe I'm a bad cook and always bring like ten goddamn pounds of weird gelatinous foods that nobody wants to eat? No that can't possibly be it, it must be that Kids These Days hate mayonnaise :argh:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Especially since most American aiolis have egg and are essentially identical to mayonnaise

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

weeping over my potato salad nobody's eaten for a decade because it's made of Great Depression food, horrified at the fact that tastes change over half a century

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I like a lil miracle whip on a sammich

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

T-man posted:

weeping over my potato salad nobody's eaten for a decade because it's made of Great Depression food, horrified at the fact that tastes change over half a century

Potato salad isn't some weird depression food tho it's a normal dish that everyone still loves

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

quote:

MY SON JAKE, who’s 25, eats mayo. He’s a practical young man who works in computers and adores macaroni salad. He’s a good son. I also have a daughter. She was a women’s and gender studies major in college. Naturally, she loathes mayonnaise. 

based on the way she talks about her kids (using their real names, in public articles) I wonder if there's another reason no one's exactly lining up to win her favor at family events

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

T-man posted:

potato salad and chicken salad are great, just all time classics. please dont besmirch their good name

waldorf salad is one of those foods that actually kinda prove her point, because i get the impression old people loved that poo poo. my grandma makes a ton of it every christmas and just like that lady it sits there completely ignored every year

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I found the yt of her pasta salad recipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE_t5WfH-So

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

based on the way she talks about her kids (using their real names, in public articles) I wonder if there's another reason no one's exactly lining up to win her favor at family events

Lmao once again any time someone says "identity" anything it's a dogwhistle for some kind of weird probably trans-related bigotry. Every fuckin' time.

Jake is the good boy who works in computers and eats all my delicious mayonnaise and isn't a gay, but she who must not be named took gender studies and now talks about intersectionality and toppling the patriarchy and nonbinary, ethnic condiments like *shudder* hummus.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

potato salad is disgusting and all of you are Old

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Potato salad can be made with and without mayonnaise (in Europe, it's a regional thing) and both variants taste great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

potato salad owns mayonnaise owns waldorf salad is just OK