Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I didnt need to hear any way that Karl cums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
TrueAnon ep is a really good listen and I wish they had more time to talk about everything. Bix, you did a great job of breaking down all the wrestling industry insanity for people who don't follow it.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The Piper story was already incredible and I can't believe Dave was holding back for ~20 years.

Piper was out of his loving mind, omg

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The Bix stuff is good. I wish there was more to report on how WWE managed to get even the most curious fans to forget all about the ring boys and view Phil Mushnick as some prude mad about DX. Maybe 5 years back someone earnestly asked Meltzer why Mushnick hated WWE so much and I was not expecting "He thinks they covered up child abuse and he's probably right" in the middle of the breezy mailbag segment.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

The Bix stuff is good. I wish there was more to report on how WWE managed to get even the most curious fans to forget all about the ring boys and view Phil Mushnick as some prude mad about DX. Maybe 5 years back someone earnestly asked Meltzer why Mushnick hated WWE so much and I was not expecting "He thinks they covered up child abuse and he's probably right" in the middle of the breezy mailbag segment.
Well, you'll enjoy my 2-part pod with David Roth about the lawsuit when it finally drops soon.

That said: The messaging thing is at least partially Mushnick's fault because I'm not sure he ever discussed the ring boy stuff publicly after the lawsuit, playing directly into WWE's hands. (And the settlement didn't force his hand, either: I've seen it, and it was a walkaway.) I dunno if it was a risk management thing or what—in talking to him, it was clearly the thing he took most issue with, as you'd hope it would be—but if you didn't know that was the original sin, you weren't going to find out by reading his later columns or the wrestling media coverage thereof. He also didn't help himself with things like the comments insulting wrestling fans as a group (which he later apologized for on Observer Live). Plus the Cornette rant on Raw, as the most visible shot fired, probably did the most damage of anything with how it misrepresented Phil's column about Brian Pillman's death.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

davidbix posted:

David Roth

ZIPPIDY BOP

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

hint it's because phil mushnick has spent 40 years getting a paycheck from rupert murdoch for a tremendous rear end in a top hat and prick who has no credibility because he spends his time writing columns for the NY post like on why Jay-Z buying the Nets means they should rename the team the "N-words"

he is a racist prude and it's really easy to point at the poo poo he wrote in the 90s about WWF as being a prude, because again he has 40 years of being a racist prude in general to point at

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Mob posted:

ZIPPIDY BOP
No, the plaid one.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

hint it's because phil mushnick has spent 40 years getting a paycheck from rupert murdoch for a tremendous rear end in a top hat and prick who has no credibility because he spends his time writing columns for the NY post like on why Jay-Z buying the Nets means they should rename the team the "N-words"

he is a racist prude and it's really easy to point at the poo poo he wrote in the 90s about WWF as being a prude, because again he has 40 years of being a racist prude in general to point at
But it's not like he was or is some big national figure. Most wrestling fans who know who Phil Mushnick is only know him through wrestling. (Plus he wrote a lot more about wrestler deaths than he did Attitude era boobs.) And then later some people might read about him on Deadspin. I don't remember ever seeing any wrestling-centric Phil Mushnick discussions that mentioned the problematic poo poo he's written until your post.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

davidbix posted:

No, the plaid one.

But it's not like he was or is some big national figure. Most wrestling fans who know who Phil Mushnick is only know him through wrestling. (Plus he wrote a lot more about wrestler deaths than he did Attitude era boobs.) And then later some people might read about him on Deadspin. I don't remember ever seeing any wrestling-centric Phil Mushnick discussions that mentioned the problematic poo poo he's written until your post.

I mean I think the other half is there. Mushnick was never been a large national figure during the late 90s, and his only exposure to non-NYC market wrestling fans would have been the Pillman controversey and Cornette's promo putting him down, which probably colored his view.

By the time you have the internet to go and really look at it from another perspective, you can read all the other poo poo Mushnick's written and tuning it out, because you can realize what people in NYC market had internalized since the 90s, and that Mushnick's a piece of poo poo.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
First few minutes of Voices of Wrestling flagship this week is a heck of a listen. :lol:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/JimValley/status/1327326272393863168?s=20

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

❤️

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
YES JIM

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Next time Bryan works they just need to book the Piper story. Including like Tom Lawlor or something pulling him into a dark room and threatening to burn down Dave Meltzer's house before gettting Chico booked against like Ryback or something.

Good!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MJeff posted:

First few minutes of Voices of Wrestling flagship this week is a heck of a listen. :lol:

I thought I was insane.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I love pissed off Dave

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1327417154333933568?s=20

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The lockdowns in Australia weren’t perfect by any means but we have something at least approaching a welfare state. I honestly don’t know how you do lockdowns without massive amounts of social spending.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Seams posted:

The lockdowns in Australia weren’t perfect by any means but we have something at least approaching a welfare state. I honestly don’t know how you do lockdowns without massive amounts of social spending.

its called "fire everyone so that they qualify for unemployment"

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

this respiratory virus will magically disappear worldwide if we can somehow convince all 50 states to mandate millions of people shut themselves in their homes without any decent source of income for 2 months

just requires some discipline

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
it kinda will

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The problem's more that you can't eat discipline and no one is offering anything you can eat while locked up making no money for 2 months.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If there was a cure-all answer for pandemics, I’m pretty sure we would’ve heard about one by now.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Edward Mass posted:

If there was a cure-all answer for pandemics, I’m pretty sure we would’ve heard about one by now.

Wouldn't matter if it wasn't a pill that instantly makes the problem go away. If the solution requires one iota of effort it's a non-starter for the average American.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Defiance Industries posted:

Wouldn't matter if it wasn't a pill that instantly makes the problem go away. If the solution requires one iota of effort it's a non-starter for the average American.

And it's not just the dipshit chuds, there's tons of people in the bigger cities who can't be bothered to boil water and cook so they spend $30 to have a gig worker deliver a $9 sandwich three times a day.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Mob posted:

And it's not just the dipshit chuds, there's tons of people in the bigger cities who can't be bothered to boil water and cook so they spend $30 to have a gig worker deliver a $9 sandwich three times a day.

I mean they could also just absolutely not have time to cook.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

Next time Bryan works they just need to book the Piper story. Including like Tom Lawlor or something pulling him into a dark room and threatening to burn down Dave Meltzer's house before gettting Chico booked against like Ryback or something.

Talk-n-shop a Mania 3 - it's good this time

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Lmao Garrett on WOR has completely bought into Uber's corporate propaganda

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

OctoberCountry posted:

Lmao Garrett on WOR has completely bought into Uber's corporate propaganda

Not surprised, given his occupation outside the observer.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
what does he do

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

dont know

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

hunnert car pileup posted:

Not surprised, given his occupation outside the observer.

ICHIBAHN posted:

what does he do

yea ok posted:

dont know

Wikipedia posted:

Nextdoor is a hyperlocal social networking service for neighborhoods. The company was founded in 2008 and is based in San Francisco, California. Nextdoor launched in the United States in October 2011, and is currently available in 11 countries. Users of Nextdoor are required to submit their real names and addresses (or street without the exact number) to the website; posts made to the website are available only to other Nextdoor members living in the same neighborhood.

Wikipedia posted:

Uber Technologies, Inc., commonly known as Uber, is an American company that offers vehicles for hire, food delivery (Uber Eats), package delivery, couriers, freight transportation, and, through a partnership with Lime, electric bicycle and motorized scooter rental. The company is based in San Francisco and has operations in over 900 metropolitan areas worldwide. It is one of the largest providers in the gig economy and is also a pioneer in the development of self-driving cars.

California Ballot Proposition 22 posted:

California Proposition 22, the App-Based Drivers as Contractors and Labor Policies Initiative, was on the ballot in California as an initiated state statute on November 3, 2020. Proposition 22 was approved.

A "yes" vote supported this ballot initiative to define app-based transportation (rideshare) and delivery drivers as independent contractors and adopt labor and wage policies specific to app-based drivers and companies.

A "no" vote opposed this ballot initiative, meaning California Assembly Bill 5 (2019) could be used to decide whether app-based drivers are employees or independent contractors.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Man I completely disagree with Dave and Tenay’s comparison of AEW bringing in ex WWE people to TNA, it’s not even remotely the same level of desperate hiring drug addict poo poo TNA was doing, and just makes me despise this whole licking every cookie on the plate mentality WWE has sewn.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao he made the forum for racist middle class homeowners. how has this never come up before

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao he made the forum for racist middle class homeowners. how has this never come up before
I don't know! I knew that Garrett worked in some sort of Big Tech job from some of his remarks, but not at NextDoor.

Though to clarify, his position at Nextdoor is "Neighborhood Management Operations Manager", a role he's held since the company started in January 2011. "Co-founder" is possibly an inexact term compared to "Day One Employee" or something. I'm not sure I would call Chuck or Trent or Nyla Rose "co-founders" of AEW, though I suppose you could.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

I don't know! I knew that Garrett worked in some sort of Big Tech job from some of his remarks, but not at NextDoor.

Though to clarify, his position at Nextdoor is "Neighborhood Management Operations Manager", a role he's held since the company started in January 2011. "Co-founder" is possibly an inexact term compared to "Day One Employee" or something. I'm not sure I would call Chuck or Trent or Nyla Rose "co-founders" of AEW, though I suppose you could.

lol so he's the Neighborhood MOM. Fitting title given the website :v:

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

So what did Garrett say? And did he disclose his interest in the matter?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

idk he caged it as Uber's stated argument against Prop 22 even if he personally believed it. "Some drivers are happy about the current system and reclassification would lead to driver cuts."

bladeworksmaster posted:

Man I completely disagree with Dave and Tenay’s comparison of AEW bringing in ex WWE people to TNA, it’s not even remotely the same level of desperate hiring drug addict poo poo TNA was doing, and just makes me despise this whole licking every cookie on the plate mentality WWE has sewn.
They very clearly didn't like the idea of signing ex-WWE guys but kept conceding that it's been successful for AEW and these guys are working their asses off. I would argue almost every luchador signing with ROH or MLW is a bigger miss by AEW than anyone they lost to WWE.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

bladeworksmaster posted:

Oh that reminds me, does anyone know which show had Bryan describe TNA's drug policy as "Here, have some drugs."

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Wikipedia has nextdoor founded in 2008, and launching in the US in 2011, and lists four other people as founders. So doesn't sound like Garrett is actually a co founder, which makes him calling himself that on twitter kinda weird

Edit fixed to nextdoor

sleep with the vicious fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

sleep with the vicious posted:

Wikipedia has Glassdoor founded in 2008, and launching in the US in 2011, and lists four other people as founders. So doesn't sound like Garrett is actually a co founder, which makes him calling himself that on twitter kinda weird

well that adds up as he cofounded nextdoor and not glassdoor