Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Holy Knight is the only correct choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Amppelix posted:

help what do i do with Anna after paladin

the realistic options are
  • Pump bows for Bow Knight
  • Pump faith for Holy Knight
  • Absolutely nothing
  • Some wild other option???
bow knight is obviously the best choice but i already have like half my team using bows so I really don't need it, and I know holy knight sux but they have a sick outfit and this is Hard so it doesn't matter

Falcoknight imo

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Amppelix posted:

help what do i do with Anna after paladin

the realistic options are
  • Pump bows for Bow Knight
  • Pump faith for Holy Knight
  • Absolutely nothing
  • Some wild other option???
bow knight is obviously the best choice but i already have like half my team using bows so I really don't need it, and I know holy knight sux but they have a sick outfit and this is Hard so it doesn't matter

Hard Flying transition to Falcon Knight :v:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

putting forward a persuasive argument there...

but i think i will do holy knight just to have one on the team. i can't get enough of those shoulder pads, i tell you!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/1324841811626455041?s=20

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Holy knight is a terrible class and making ingrid one ruined a great unit, but by golly we all know it's what she wants and I would do it again in a heartbeat

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Wow thats as much as the avengers

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/Amppelix/status/1324886231537258496
i've done it

i've successfully used desperation in an actual combat situation on an actually somewhat threatening enemy without needing to do a needlessly complicated setup on the previous turn to ensure half health

look upon it for you will surely not see anything like this again in your life

Anna's actually a pretty good user of desperation though. even if she can't kill with it she's got two 20% chances to cancel the enemy's counterattack and preserve her health.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Desperation would be neat if it worked on enemy phase with Vantage

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I feel like you pull off a weird despo build with gauntlets and some sort've defensive stacking in case you get enemy phased.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I loaned my switch to my older sister over the summer because she was desperate for entertainment. She hasn't played a proper video game since Knights of the Old Republic on Xbox. I had BotW and 3H on it, and I told her she might be able to play 3H because it's turn based and she can take all the time she wants getting used to it.

Week 1 was all, "How do I exit this menu?" "What does this mean?" "How do I fix a broken sword?"

Week 2: "I hate Hilda. Ignatz is a weiner and I want to kill him. If I hear Ferdinand say 'I am Ferdinand von Aegir' one more time I'll go insane."

So here we are three months later and she's lecturing me about how any unit that can get a mounted class should and how Hilda is a Killing Machine wyvern lord and Ignatz is an infallible horse archer.

I think she may have put more hours into it than I have, and it's nice to have something in common we can talk about. Thanks, Fire Emblem!

Edit: Favorite character: Dimitri, "He's my anime Hamlet."
Favorite Path: Verdant Wind

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 7, 2020

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

SolarFire2 posted:

I loaned my switch to my older sister over the summer because she was desperate for entertainment. She hasn't played a proper video game since Knights of the Old Republic on Xbox. I had BotW and 3H on it, and I told her she might be able to play 3H because it's turn based and she can take all the time she wants getting used to it.

Week 1 was all, "How do I exit this menu?" "What does this mean?" "How do I fix a broken sword?"

Week 2: "I hate Hilda. Ignatz is a weiner and I want to kill him. If I hear Ferdinand say 'I am Ferdinand von Aegir' one more time I'll go insane."

So here we are three months later and she's lecturing me about how any unit that can get a mounted class should and how Hilda is a Killing Machine wyvern lord and Ignatz is an infallible horse archer.

I think she may have put more hours into it than I have, and it's nice to have something in common we can talk about. Thanks, Fire Emblem!

Edit: Favorite character: Dimitri, "He's my anime Hamlet."
Favorite Path: Verdant Wind

Hilda is awesome, so it's good she's come around to her. Always recruit Hilda. Always deploy Hilda.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
As a character, I'm still not a fan of Hilda. "Afraid of disappointing people" does not excuse her insufferable, bordering-on-malicious laziness to me.

But as a unit, she's an unholy engine of destruction.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I feel like i say this in this thread every month, but

What does it matter if Hilda (or anyone else) is "justified" in their actions, or has flaws or doesn't have them, or is an rear end in a top hat

Hilda is lazy because it's funny (especially when contrasted with her battle performance) and creates great situations when put together with other personalities

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
To offer a counterpoint, you shouldn't have to justify disliking a character. Maybe they remind you of a difficult person from your own life, maybe you don't like the way the game treats them, maybe they just rub you the wrong way in a manner you can't quite put your finger on. All of that is fair.

Though on Hilda specifically, I think she's one of those characters whose one big trait overwhelms too many of her interactions. At least half her support conversations follow the same basic structure of "yes I will help you out," "hold on, I think you're taking advantage of my good nature" and "I see now that you have depths and respect you." I call this the Charlotte Syndrome.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

To offer a counterpoint, you shouldn't have to justify disliking a character. Maybe they remind you of a difficult person from your own life, maybe you don't like the way the game treats them, maybe they just rub you the wrong way in a manner you can't quite put your finger on. All of that is fair.
You're completely right. I just can't help myself when i see the sentiment of "i don't like character because x" where "x" is some variation of "they're a bad person" because the endpoint of such thinking is a very restricted form of storytelling.

I probably go too hard on the point.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

War Monk/Cleric is kind of a stupid class since it requires 2 skills that are hard to level up together, but I think it's one of my favorite classes. The uniforms are so cool looking! And punching people rules in this game. It feels like the light weight of gauntlets and the ability to hit twice can make up a lot for a lack of inherent strength.

I made Leonie, Ingrid and Byleth into War Monk/Clerics this playthrough. I'm thinking now that I want to do a stupid playthrough and make all of my units into War Clerics next time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A non-goon friend of mine finished her playthrough of her fourth and final route through the game today. I think this thread would appreciate her habit of nicknaming every character in video games and what she came up with for this game:

Dimitri: Conan [the Barbarian]
Dedue: Teddy Bear
Sylvain: gently caress Face
Felix: Angsty Boy
Ashe: Mister Sunshine
Ingrid: Closetest of Lesbians
Annette: Squishable
Mercedes: Aeris

Claude: Budgie Smuggler
Raphael: Thor
Lorenz: Lord Professor Plum
Ignatz: Stabby van Gogh
Hilda: Axe Barbie
Marianne: Depression Horsie
Lysithea: Anime Princess
Leonie: Agent Orange

Edelgard: Arthas
Hubert: Tom Hiddleston
Caspar: No Chill
Ferdinand: FABULOUS
Linhardt: Mister Kitty
Petra: Petra
Dorothea: Britney Spearmaiden
Bernadetta: Ham Fist

Byleth: Titty Spock
Rhea: Pope Azula
Seteth: Dragon DILF
Flayn: Dragon Loli
Alois: Big Daddy
Manuela: HR Lawsuit
Hanneman: Manny Hanny
Catherine: Butchest of Lesbians
Shamir: Femme GF
Gilbert: Deadbeat
Cyril: Shota

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Cythereal posted:

Hilda: Axe Barbie
Manuela: HR Lawsuit

lol

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cythereal posted:

Ingrid: Closetest of Lesbians

I actually like "Fodlan's #1 Heterosexial Ten Years Running" better at describing Ingrid, but this nickname is also funny.

Like Clockwork posted:

Yeah a lot of Ingrid's supports with other women are very "queer women try to feel out if Fódlan's #1 Heterosexual Ten Years Running is actually that straight".

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm glad we're all in agreement about Ingrid then.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Finished up Shadows of Valentia yesterday. Lost six units in the final fight.

Took me 4-5 tries since I didn't know placing Alm and Cecelia next to each other pretty much guarantees a critical hit from Alm, so the final boss was out healing Alm's damage output in the final stage.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Torrannor posted:

I actually like "Fodlan's #1 Heterosexial Ten Years Running" better at describing Ingrid, but this nickname is also funny.

This is one of her posts from finishing Azure Moon, mentioning the endings she got (she a/a+ ranked everyone she could):

quote:

ingrid/seteth - unable to comprehend her homosexuality ingrid hosed a dragon instead

And take this as you will, but she played Azure Moon first because she thought they had the cutest stable of characters at the intro.

Edit: Her synopsis of Blue Lions class dynamics.

quote:

dimitri: hoes leave

dimitri: not you sylvain

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 14, 2020

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
To me, Ingrid’s defining character trait will still always be her desire to get married in a volcano for some reason.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The best Ingrid support is the one she has with Ignatz where she finds him painting Saint Seiros and is like "make her HOTTER and SEXIER and give her a HUGE SWORD"

Ingrid is so deep in the closet that she's found Narnia

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Sorry, I don't see Ingrid as even slightly gay. She's so straight that even Dorothea can't get a hand on her.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
You people dishonor the memory of Glenn. For shame!

Ingrid is knight-sexual, and only gets horny for strong, knightly personages. This is why she didn't care about Dorothea and wanted Seiros' giant sword. :ssh:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Shamir: Femme GF

I mean, in comparison to Catherine, sure I guess, but also lol

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tired Moritz posted:

Sorry, I don't see Ingrid as even slightly gay. She's so straight that even Dorothea can't get a hand on her.

The lady doth protest too much me thinks.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Ingrid is the representation racist white gays need.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Nah, there are plenty of racists in this game. Plenty of people microaggress Cyril a lot.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
If you ship Hilda with Marianne then she counts for racist white gay representation too

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well Manicured Man posted:

The best Ingrid support is the one she has with Ignatz where she finds him painting Saint Seiros and is like "make her HOTTER and SEXIER and give her a HUGE SWORD"

Ingrid is so deep in the closet that she's found Narnia

I interpreted that as her identifying with the Seiros illustration.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I have to say the ethnicities in this game sorta confuse me, probably because naming schemes are all over the place in Fire Emblem games, including this one. People from Duscur have darker skin tones, but apparently they live in or near the Kingdom of Faerghus as an isolated group? And then outside Duscur you have Almyrans and Brigid as the only areas where people appear to have darker skin tones than the clearly European-inspired Fodlan.

I don’t really understand how people didn’t immediately figure out Claude’s Almyran roots and I’m not 100% sure on that’s up with Hapi. I guess she’s from alliance border territories near Almyra so maybe that makes sense.

Meanwhile Catherine seems to be the only person from the Kingdom with a suntan.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Bongo Bill posted:

I interpreted that as her identifying with the Seiros illustration.

Same really. She is the straightest woman in Fodlan but she also wants women to be presented as more than the traditional nurturing figures. I think it's just a mess because the setting wants to have the historical misogynistic medieval view of women need to be properly married and women can be strong martial figures and those 2 things simply don't work together. Especially since Ingrid's whole deal is she's expected to marry up to increase the wealth and prestige of her family and she doesn't want to do that because she's still in mourning for Glenn.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

I have to say the ethnicities in this game sorta confuse me, probably because naming schemes are all over the place in Fire Emblem games, including this one. People from Duscur have darker skin tones, but apparently they live in or near the Kingdom of Faerghus as an isolated group? And then outside Duscur you have Almyrans and Brigid as the only areas where people appear to have darker skin tones than the clearly European-inspired Fodlan.

I don’t really understand how people didn’t immediately figure out Claude’s Almyran roots and I’m not 100% sure on that’s up with Hapi. I guess she’s from alliance border territories near Almyra so maybe that makes sense.

Meanwhile Catherine seems to be the only person from the Kingdom with a suntan.

Duscur is separated from Faerghus by a mountain range. It's the peninsula west of Fhirdiad on the map. Or was, anyway.

Hapi's village is located somewhere in the central mountain range housing Garreg Mach. Probably on the northeast side if anything.

There are light-skinned Almyrans, though it's up to whoever whether that's intended or just being too lazy to make new toned portraits.

Shamir is also light-skinned and she's from further than Petra.

Catherine's also got color, though that's probably just a tan rather than ethnicity.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Looking at Judith it seems as though there is some variety in the Leicester Alliance.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

McTimmy posted:

Catherine's also got color, though that's probably just a tan rather than ethnicity.

I always took that to contrast with the nobles and academics and others holed up in forts and civilization. Catherine goes out and campaigns and does poo poo, so she's got that different look and air.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Hunt11 posted:

Looking at Judith it seems as though there is some variety in the Leicester Alliance.

It wouldn't be the first time two hostile states, in this case Almyra and Leicester, have had tons of ethnic historical intermingling but are very adamant that they are completely genetically unrelated.

Dagda might be fantasy Irish. Since everything relating to it is an Irish reference, but Petra seems like some kind of Pacific Islander. Unfortunately we don't really have enough info since we only have Shamir who never talks about what the place is like save one line about gay marriage, and how Brigid is a vassal state of theirs the half of the time it's not a vassal of the empire.

Almyra is obviously fantasy Turkish. They have Turkish names, look Turkish, dress Turkish, are notable for their archery (Hey another Leicester connection), and constantly raid Not!Christendom.

Duscur is tricky. I got a Native American vibe from Dedue, but that could just be my ignorance. Dedue has some kind of patterned shawl on his post timeskip armor. Does anyone recognize the pattern as being from some culture or another.

Fodlan itself seems pretty ethnically homogenous since no one is able to tell where anyone else comes from by appearance and 9/10ths of the time their culture is the same. Faergus is the only region that seems to have anything that could really be called nationalism, Where it's people have a few traditions that are different from Fodlan as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Being confused by people with varied skin tones and multiple distinct ethnic groups living together on a continent is... something.