Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The Tales series has become the only reason that I have my PS3 still plugged in. If I finish or stop playing Xillia i’ll probably put it up finally.

Boy I wish they ported a lot more PS3 games to the PS4, including those. Because of its unique architecture, it’s become a black hole for a few really good games.

Edit: The latest survey I asked which games you would like to see ported to modern consoles the most. I think I said Xillia, Destiny 2 and Graces F.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tales of hearts r and tales of innocence r are still locked to vita so i think bamco is just generally not concerned with porting stuff

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Colonel posted:

tales of hearts r and tales of innocence r are still locked to vita so i think bamco is just generally not concerned with porting stuff
I’ve played some of Innocence but none of Hearts. Which one is better?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
uhhh i've only played innocence on ds and never had a vita to get to play hearts r. innocence is cool and has lots of great ideas in its writing but the original ds version has some major issues that i assume the remake fixes

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

hearts r is really weird but okay, and it has a lot of mechanics that never carried over or got simplified. there's a gambit system like ff12 but you can nest the conditionals, a character bond system to share skills, and there's some hilarious twists

there's an air juggle mechanic based off of touchscreen use, but they made your ai companions a bit too effective at it so there's no real difficulty to the game as well

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I have a Vita but tbh it was a huge turnoff that they took a game with CC and made it use TP in its remake tbh, was Hearts R actually good?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Hearts R is good. the juggle mechanics make it kinda easy but also fun, and i thought the story was solid enough. i don't remember TP being half as much of a pain point in it as the other tales games i've played, the TP costs are all really low other than a few big spells iirc

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
As someone who liked ToX1 well enough, ToX2 was... ugh. The only things I liked about it was a spiffier, genuinely good Alvin and playable Gaius.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the alt dimension where leia and agria are girlfriends

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wish they did more with Fractured Milla

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shame they all get destroyed with barely a 'shrug eh what ya gonna do'.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The side quest in xillia 2 where you collect like 100 different cats around the world is incredibly powerful

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Xillia 2 is... I don't know if bad is the right word, but it's definitely not good and in many ways misguided. The Xillia 1 content is mostly forgettable and occasionally just awful, totally wasting what was good about the original Xillia characters either way. The original plot is mediocre and mostly hinges on the Dad Game aspect. The connective tissue between them is really weird and uncanny. None of it is worth the hours of enforced grinding and wandering up and down the Xillia 1 overworld to get to any of it. I definitely wouldn't call it a good followup to Xillia considering how badly it uses everything it brings back from Xillia.

The combat has some decent quality of life updates but every other aspect of the gameplay is compromised, and even the combat is kind of hurt by no longer being able to choose your party members while playing and the new Ludger-centric weapon weakness system.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 13, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think xillia 2 is awkward and messy but it has interesting ideas and good character beats

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I liked Xillia 2 more then the first, but it's in a weird position where a lot of it relies on the first game. The story of the first one wasn't like, terrible or anything, but the cast and plot were just so forgettable to me that I didn't really care much about what happened.

The sequel is more character based, which I prefer if the plot is gonna be bad. I think they took a mediocre cast and helped them out a lot. It's also a lot more fun to play in terms of battles, but they also reuse just about everything from the first game, sometimes multiple times. The stuff unique to Xillia 2 is pretty cool, but the entire package is just so awkward to judge.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The Colonel posted:

i think xillia 2 is awkward and messy but it has interesting ideas and good character beats

I'm sure they're in there but they're couched in 60 hours of busywork and bad Muzet comedy and telling Milla she should be happy she gets to stand next to Jude while he does important things.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean the muzet comedy is bad but it's like thirty minutes out of the whole game. it's entirely secluded to her sidequest chain. it sucks cause it means the most actual writing she gets is in gaius' sidequests but i guess it's not a universal constant in the writing... at least...?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ludger being a silent protagonist is bad and dumb and very non-Talesy.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Honestly the only good part of the game I actually remember was Gaius.

In particular, I think pairing off the characters the way they did was a really bad idea because part of why Xillia's party was good was how they had all kinds of relationships amongst all of them, so making sure that only Leia and Alvin would ever interact in their episodes, or Elise and Rowen, was about the most boring way you could have done it.

I sincerely think having played Xillia 2 more recently has faded my actual good memories of the characters and writing in Xillia.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 13, 2020

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Hellioning posted:

I feel like this was the perfect game for them to explore that idea. Now we don't have to worry about them making an entirely new game with the same idea. I hope.

Also, the Berseria side quest was what made me realize I didn't care in the slightest what the Xillia cast was up to.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hellioning posted:

Yeah, right now that’s the part that’s giving me the biggest non-Tales feels.

Mainly I’m playing it because I need to save money to move early next year and and don’t want to buy new games right now. See also: Genshin

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Xillia 2 was significantly more difficult than Xillia 1 which really surprised me. It was fun seeing all the "what-if" scenarios even if they ended each time with the PCs destroying an alternate universe.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I like the alternate ending in Xillia 2 where you can choose to refuse to kill your brother, which results in Ludger systematically killing every other party member one by one to prevent them from doing it in his stead. It's the only part of the game that fully leans into Ludger being a bullshit mary sue who hilariously eclipses like, every character from the first game.

Also any time Gaius is on screen he's pretty funny.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

i like the hat Leia gets in Xillia 2. it's a good hat.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I tend to ignore a lot of the main protags in Tales so having Ludger be so ridiculously Mary Sue and better than every other character in combat is blegh. I mean you can make a party without him, but it feels like an intentional handicap.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gaius is about as good as ludger tbh

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Ludger has three weapons so far, does he get even more?

And yeah, he’s clearly just an audience stand-in to observe all these other characters. If I hadn’t played the first game that might’ve been worthwhile, but I have and it’s not.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nah, three is all Ludger gets. Four if you count the spear he has in chromatus mode.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I would consider his transformation as basically a fourth weapon, he just can't use it all the time.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Samurai Sanders posted:

Ludger has three weapons so far, does he get even more?

And yeah, he’s clearly just an audience stand-in to observe all these other characters. If I hadn’t played the first game that might’ve been worthwhile, but I have and it’s not.

I have some high level beefs with Xillia 2 but the thing that made it most uncomfortable to actually play was the old characters' relationships with Ludger. He slots into their lives so seamlessly and they ask him for his opinion constantly, especially for a party who half of in the first game were so slow to open up and trust each other. And the skits you get for leveling up their hearts where they basically talk directly into the camera about how much they value your companionship just felt incredibly uncanny.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 14, 2020

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Pureauthor posted:

I wish they did more with Fractured Milla

It is what is-Elle, destroyer of worlds

I also found one of the endings hilarious because I think it's Ludgers ending where Ludger is in charge of spirius and he meets prime dimension Elle's mom and starts crying. Implying that he is happy he can now gently caress this woman to give birth to the daughter he just lost and start all over again

I mean okay, that's probably not why that happens but i remember just laughing my rear end off at the implications of it when i saw it in the moment

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 14, 2020

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The Shame Boy posted:

I mean okay, that's probably not why that happens but i remember just laughing my rear end off at the implications of it when i saw it in the moment

No, that's correct.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Caphi posted:

I have some high level beefs with Xillia 2 but the thing that made it most uncomfortable to actually play was the old characters' relationships with Ludger. He slots into their lives so seamlessly and they ask him for his opinion constantly, especially for a party who half of in the first game were so slow to open up and trust each other. And the skits you get for leveling up their hearts where they basically talk directly into the camera about how much they value your companionship just felt incredibly uncanny.
As far as trust goes I mostly agree but also he meets Jude first and they have an adventure and then after that it’s just “any friend of his is a friend of mine” for everyone else.

He is still a boring non-character though which is the anti-Tales.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dunno sounds like most Tales protags :troll:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ludger gets some really snarky and funny player-decided lines in skits

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sakurazuka posted:

Dunno sounds like most Tales protags :troll:

I feel like Lloyd is really the only other Tales protag that gets close to Ludger in that regard. Most other Tales protags, even if they aren't good characters, have a bit more than that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like ludger more than lloyd and sorey frankly

and kyle

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Endorph posted:

i like ludger more than lloyd and sorey frankly

and kyle

:hmmyes:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Kyle is the worst main character in, like... maybe any RPG I've ever played. Lloyd and Sorey are just boring good boys in bad plots with bad writing. Kyle is actively a lovely failson who bullies Reala into enabling him because she's a conciliator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'd say the way Sorey treats Alisha is also pretty awful but to be fair he mostly does that because his mom figure manipulated him into it.