Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there an advantage to using an SSD externally on an xbox one, or is a mechanical drive just as fast over the USB bus?

Still an advantage for the SSD. About half the load gains the Series X sees for BC is that.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I haven't had quick resume work on any of my games. Tried it with Gears 5, Dead by Daylight, Black Ops Cold War (the next-gen release), Jedi Fallen Order and possibly others I can't remember and they all just load as normal.

Its not working with all games at the moment. Gears 5 was called out I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Grey posted:

Is Taco Bell still giving them away? I want one too, and that seem like the best chance of getting one at this point. I checked Craig's List and they are all going in the $750 - $1,000 range.

The contest ended on the 4th. They will do it again next year.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So does the Xbox Series X require the disc in the system to each time play a game that was installed from disc? I’m figuring it’s the former, which I can live with, but if I’m buying a cheap Lego game for my kids I don’t want them to have to worry about having a disc to load, especially my four year old.

Also does anyone know if the physical editions of Watch Dogs or AC Valhalla have a disc or is it just a code?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there an advantage to using an SSD externally on an xbox one, or is a mechanical drive just as fast over the USB bus?

It’s a significant advantage.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh Target is doing a 2 for 3 deal on video games till the end of today. Doesn’t seem to apply to digital codes, even though I can use a gift card for it. Hoping I can get them to give me the deal at the store, because I hate needing to put discs in, but a free game (and a gift card that nearly cuts the second games price in half) is a hard deal to pass up.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

doingitwrong posted:

Looks like the December delivery date for Microsoft Store orders is real and not just a placeholder.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MicrosoftStore/status/1327386865616482304

Mine shipped yesterday but because UPS don't delivery saturday unless you pay extra, I gott wait till monday for it to arrive and I'm working late. :/

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The way different physical editions of AC: Origins were handled at least was, the disc is the same in all cases and you get a code inside for the extra content. That gets tied to your account and the game doesn't, so you still need the disc license check every time you want to play. It's like buying the :10bux: deluxe edition upgrades for EA Play games, they persist on your account but are just inert data if your sub isn't active

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Mine shipped yesterday but because UPS don't delivery saturday unless you pay extra, I gott wait till monday for it to arrive and I'm working late. :/

Lucky :smithicide: mine still shows as pending.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
So as someone who wants one but not enough to care that much, what do you think I'm looking at, January before it's reliably stocked?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's not MASSIVE but it's nice (note that you can't run Series-native games from a USB external ever, even if it's an SSD). Should be comparable to how it is with Xbox One devices.

graventy posted:

So as someone who wants one but not enough to care that much, what do you think I'm looking at, January before it's reliably stocked?

It's going to depend on how demand holds. Pre-covid, January would have been pretty safe but now who the gently caress knows, both the Series X and the PS5 have completely annihilated all supply norms so the old rules are out the window (there was at least a few weeks with the PS4/XB1 when you could pre-order them without issue).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

After holiday gift money drys up and before halo gets a release date is probably the best window

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

I would posit it may get a fuller price remaster

GOTY Edition with all the "extras" you got in the original extra expensive versions plus some bonus incentives for people to play (and hopefully spend money in) Red Dead Online, all for the low, low price of $70. Q4 2021.

Ruffian Price posted:

The way different physical editions of AC: Origins were handled at least was, the disc is the same in all cases and you get a code inside for the extra content. That gets tied to your account and the game doesn't, so you still need the disc license check every time you want to play. It's like buying the :10bux: deluxe edition upgrades for EA Play games, they persist on your account but are just inert data if your sub isn't active

This helps them devalue used game sales as well as potentially double-dipping on those same used copies, so its easy to see why they do it. I think the days of bundling all the licenses and tokens onto a disc for different editions are gone. I remember that the Mass Effect limited edition had an extra disc that just let you redeem a bunch of the bonus stuff onto any console.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I really hope the Xbox BC team can do some wonders to get more games running at 60 fps without original dev involvements (like they've done with Fallout 4). I'm disappointed at how many games in the Gamepass catalog are locked at 30fps, even at a completely stable 30fps it just sucks to play it.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

After holiday gift money drys up and before halo gets a release date is probably the best window

So after holiday gift money dries up. Halo isn't getting a release date.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

A friend who secured an X and an S and offered to sell me the latter, and I'll probably take that deal.

I have a couple of external ssds so storage isn't a big deal (and I'm itching to try out the enhanced version of Yakuza 7.)

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Skipped the bone but finding myself wanting the new obelisk. Microsoft let me change my terrible gamertag that I picked 12 years ago. I guess I'll keep an eye out for stock. Not sure what the best options are in Canada.

How's the Elite 2 controller? I wonder if they're planning on making a 3rd?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Escape Goat posted:

I wonder if they're planning on making a 3rd?

people keep buying them so i'm sure they will. i think unless you are like a super serious cod guy and can't hang with the pros without paddles or whatever its not worth the console sized $ outlay but some dudes just like the lux feeling and heavier weight and having apps to tweak stuff so their calculus is different.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Codependent Poster posted:

I keep reading all the posts about people's amazon orders coming in this weekend and I'm still in the who the gently caress knows zone.

I'm still hoping for a November delivery, but we'll see. If I have to wait until New Years Eve, so be it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Back paddles are great but probably not at the price Microsoft is asking.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A slight advantage over hard drives but not much.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Escape Goat posted:

Microsoft let me change my terrible gamertag that I picked 12 years ago.

Speaking of this, I'm a bit disappointed with how most of the UI handles the new discriminators. I get that existing systems weren't set up for it, but it seems like there are a lot of places where I still have to see those numbers tacked onto the end of my new gamertag in large font

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Laserface posted:

A slight advantage over hard drives but not much.

When this generation is being defined by quicker load times I have to say that having an external SSD isn’t just a slight advantage.

It’s actually pretty significant in quite a few cases.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Back paddles are great but probably not at the price Microsoft is asking.

Paddles alone aren't but the controller in general just feels so much nicer and more durable than the stock ones. The interchangeable sticks/dpad, trigger throw locks, adjustable stick tension and the software customization options are also really really nice. Built in USB-C charging is cool too.

I mean $180 is objectively an insane amount of money to drop on a video game controller but I really can't say I regret splurging.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

I mean $180 is objectively an insane amount of money to drop on a video game controller but I really can't say I regret splurging.

This is exactly how I feel.

I love mine but drat it was expensive.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Earlier in the thread I mentioned I wasn’t sold on the series X design. I warmed to it a bit and then yesterday my PS5 came and it’s such a hideous monstrosity that my opinion of the featureless black box dramatically increased.

That said, the PS5 has system wide Y axis inversion while the SX does not and Microsoft can get hosed.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ultrachrist posted:

Earlier in the thread I mentioned I wasn’t sold on the series X design. I warmed to it a bit and then yesterday my PS5 came and it’s such a hideous monstrosity that my opinion of the featureless black box dramatically increased.

That said, the PS5 has system wide Y axis inversion while the SX does not and Microsoft can get hosed.

20 hours of deadly premonition 2 with no option to change it cured me of a life long invert dependency. :feelsgood:

Dp2, not so much. Kinda a stinker

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

When this generation is being defined by quicker load times I have to say that having an external SSD isn’t just a slight advantage.

It’s actually pretty significant in quite a few cases.

He said ONE X, not Series X.

SSD will help but it's only marginal over a decent hard drive.

It makes a bigger difference on series x

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yea I’m on an OG XBONE not a One X or a Series

Turns out I only had a 1tb SSD and not the SSD and a platter drive like it originally thought, so the SSD went in regardless of any performance benefits it has

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

ultrachrist posted:

I don’t know why they got rid of it after the 360, it’s honestly one of the features I miss most.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I haven't had quick resume work on any of my games. Tried it with Gears 5, Dead by Daylight, Black Ops Cold War (the next-gen release), Jedi Fallen Order and possibly others I can't remember and they all just load as normal.

check your power options, if you have the console turn off completely when you shut it down I don't believe it can quick resume.

It currently isn't working with some games (they are working on fixing it, they just fixed the new Yakuza). I don't know that it will work with DBD since it has to log in to the servers when you play (I know that I have to go to menus and manually log into ubisoft connect, or at least run the app before I go into assassins creed whenever I turn off the system or I can't see any of the online stuff).

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I've been playing Jedi Fallen Order today and it's a pretty good game, but god drat is it optimized for poo poo! Constant frame drops, objects popping in all over the place, it just runs very poorly. I wonder if it would run better on a Series X.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

BisterdDave posted:

I've been playing Jedi Fallen Order today and it's a pretty good game, but god drat is it optimized for poo poo! Constant frame drops, objects popping in all over the place, it just runs very poorly. I wonder if it would run better on a Series X.

I'm not that far into it but it runs great on the Series X. Smooth as silk, no hitching or anything.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BisterdDave posted:

I fired it up too, only made it through the first segment to where you get rescued by the ship, and it seemed to be running fine so far. I remember at launch reviews mentioned it was buggy and crashing.

What console are you on? I’m on a Bone S with the game on an SSD, which seems to help texture popping.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

BisterdDave posted:

Yeah I'm also replaying it on a One S and goddamn it's rough. Some of the big outdoor areas (on Bogano before you drop down to fight Ongo Bongo, for example) feel like they're running at 20fps. Not like I had to go through that area a dozen times or anything.

Tons of weird lighting glitches too.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Twerk from Home posted:

I fired it up too, only made it through the first segment to where you get rescued by the ship, and it seemed to be running fine so far. I remember at launch reviews mentioned it was buggy and crashing.

What console are you on? I’m on a Bone S with the game on an SSD, which seems to help texture popping.

I'm playing on a One X in performance mode. Some areas it feels like the game is running 15-20 fps.

Another question I have is in regards to EA Play and Gamepass. I'm able to access EA Play games on my console, but I cant on PC. Do I have to download them through Origin?

edit: nvm, it's coming Dec. 15.

BisterdDave fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 15, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jedi Fallen Order is just an insanely buggy game. I played it on PS4 Pro last year and it was easily one of the most unfinished games I've played this gen. I thought it was awful tbh

BisterdDave posted:

Another question I have is in regards to EA Play and Gamepass. I'm able to access EA Play games on my console, but I cant on PC. Do I have to download them through Origin?

Almost certain EA stuff is a separate sub on PC

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jedi needs a fast travel option. They make you walk all the way back in every level and they get long. One of them has a tram but the others dont

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You should all download the $5 Steam release of Shadows of the Empire and play that instead.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Hulk Krogan posted:

Paddles alone aren't but the controller in general just feels so much nicer and more durable than the stock ones. The interchangeable sticks/dpad, trigger throw locks, adjustable stick tension and the software customization options are also really really nice. Built in USB-C charging is cool too.

I got a pre-owned first generation one with a busted bumper (I moved bumper controls to the paddles) and it's a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

20 hours of deadly premonition 2 with no option to change it cured me of a life long invert dependency. :feelsgood:

same but with EDF3 vehicle controls