Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
There's two (was three) 5600x's on Walmart listed for $599. It's shipped & sold by Walmart and returnable in-store so I figured I'd roll the dice and see if I can get customer service to adjust the price. Will return if not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zhar
May 3, 2019

Pablo Bluth posted:

cpubenchmark.net has single-thread results. Phoronix's openbenchmarking.org has a whole bunch of productivity benchmarks although I don't know which ones are single-threaded.

edit: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-ryzen7-5800x&num=6

Many thanks. some napkin calculations at the price I can get these chips (aside from 5600x where I use msrp) and assuming cpubenchmark.net scores are legit:
model/price/overall value (score/price)/single thread value
3950x/400/98/6.86
5600x/"280"/79.5/12.11
3600/180/99.23/14.36

So even with the discount price of 3950x the 3600 is still the king in value terms. I think best way forward is to get the 3600 and upgrade if need be in a year or two when things have settled down, save a bunch in the meantime that I can spend on a more expensive 3080 than FE and get going much more quickly. Any upgrade to my 2500k will be a huge improvement.

Am I likely to get good results overclocking a 3600 with a Noctua NH-D15 or is it overkill?

HalloKitty posted:

If you're pretty much using it for multi-threaded workloads, a 400 quid 3950X seems like a good deal to be honest. I'd buy a 3950X for £400 if I had that available to me. Ebay prices are still a fair bit north of that.
My plan all along has been to buy a second-hand 3950X when those people went out and bought a 5950X. I've had a board and RAM ready to go for many months.
I will say though, that Zen 3 exceeded expectations in many ways with regards to gaming, so if that's an important use case, Zen 3 can't be beaten.

If you want I can refer you to 3950x seller if you're UK based. It's just some guy on the stockdrops discord so I can't vouch for him though.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

zhar posted:

Where can I get the numbers for single thread performance for the 3950x and the 5600x? If I can exchange a few percent and efficient power for 10 extra cores it seems like a good deal.

Just a heads up that single threaded performance does not mean "the performance of each thread, scaled up by the number of threads."

It means a single operation running on one thread at its maximum frequency. Sorry if this is juvenile or I'm missing something, I'm just noticing that you're talking about single core scores and single threaded applications, but also talking about getting "10 extra cores."

Generally the more cores the slower each core is, but the more overall work it can do. If you are truly throwing single core work at it you will not be able to do 10 single core operations at full speed at once.

zhar
May 3, 2019

bus hustler posted:

Just a heads up that single threaded performance does not mean "the performance of each thread, scaled up by the number of threads."

It means a single operation running on one thread at its maximum frequency. Sorry if this is juvenile or I'm missing something, I'm just noticing that you're talking about single core scores and single threaded applications, but also talking about getting "10 extra cores."

Generally the more cores the slower each core is, but the more overall work it can do. If you are truly throwing single core work at it you will not be able to do 10 single core operations at full speed at once.

Yes I think I get it, I was thinking more cores are useful for rendering either as a backup or for corona renderer but I've about given up on that now. My main use case will thus be simulations (physics, particle, fluid, cloth) and apparently these only use one thread (if I understand right it's because each subsequent calculation requires the result of the previous one which doesn't work in multiple threads).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

zhar posted:

If you want I can refer you to 3950x seller if you're UK based. It's just some guy on the stockdrops discord so I can't vouch for him though.

You're alright, I'll probably pick one up after more people have upgraded, hopefully pushing the prices down, and increasing selection, that said, if genuine, he could sell that thing for £400 on ebay in no time (although I know they take a cut).
I moved out of the UK a while back, to another country in Europe; so I'll keep an eye what becomes available locally too. I really appreciate the offer though.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 14, 2020

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

So I've got my 5800x and installed it in a Gigabye Aorus Ultra x570, and after installing all the relevant drivers and such it looks like some programs aren't able to access CPU info and temps.
For example, this is from Gigabyte's own SIV program. Note the missing clock fields and processor info fields.

On the other hand, CPUZ/HWinfo/Ryzen Master do show me temps and clock speed, so :shrug:

When I am able to see the temps, it's running way higher then I expect: Idling at around 50c+ and reaching 90c under load, which is apparently the thermal limit. I have a Corsair h80i v2 AIO on it, and the OC'd 6700k I had it on before only reached 90c under full prime95 torture test loads and idled at a few degrees above ambient.

I'm going to try to reseat the cooler when my new PSU arrives in the next week or so, but are these temps normal? Also, what's up with the missing CPU info? This is all on a clean Win10 installation.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

A lot of posters seem to have gotten a hold of these which is promising. Do you think we are looking at an Ampere type of situation? I'm on 3 discords and I'm hardly seeing any zen3 drops anywhere.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Don't Ask posted:

So I've got my 5800x and installed it in a Gigabye Aorus Ultra x570, and after installing all the relevant drivers and such it looks like some programs aren't able to access CPU info and temps.
For example, this is from Gigabyte's own SIV program. Note the missing clock fields and processor info fields.

On the other hand, CPUZ/HWinfo/Ryzen Master do show me temps and clock speed, so :shrug:

When I am able to see the temps, it's running way higher then I expect: Idling at around 50c+ and reaching 90c under load, which is apparently the thermal limit. I have a Corsair h80i v2 AIO on it, and the OC'd 6700k I had it on before only reached 90c under full prime95 torture test loads and idled at a few degrees above ambient.

I'm going to try to reseat the cooler when my new PSU arrives in the next week or so, but are these temps normal? Also, what's up with the missing CPU info? This is all on a clean Win10 installation.

If that's the 120mm model then that's what I would expect for temps. The 5800X is hot as gently caress, I would want either a big tower cooler or at least a 240mm AIO.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

drat Dirty Ape posted:

A lot of posters seem to have gotten a hold of these which is promising. Do you think we are looking at an Ampere type of situation? I'm on 3 discords and I'm hardly seeing any zen3 drops anywhere.

Based on the discord im in, 5600X seems to be around occasionally. 5900X and 5950X is in lol territory.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
My motherboard (ASRock X570 Taichi) has a broken X570 chipset fan that makes a loud, annoying noise. I dealt with this previously by setting a fan curve that never had it turn on. Unfortunately the fan control software hasn't been updated for Zen 3 and the new AGESA so I can't use it, is there any other way to turn this drat thing off?

Griz
May 21, 2001

MaxxBot posted:

My motherboard (ASRock X570 Taichi) has a broken X570 chipset fan that makes a loud, annoying noise. I dealt with this previously by setting a fan curve that never had it turn on. Unfortunately the fan control software hasn't been updated for Zen 3 and the new AGESA so I can't use it, is there any other way to turn this drat thing off?

just unplug it or cut and tape the cable, if it doesn't have an actual plug you'd have to cut the cable to replace it anyway.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Don't Ask posted:

I have a Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570 but I refuse to install any of Gigabyte's software. It doesn't have a good reputation, and most of the functions their apps perform can be performed better by other applications or from the BIOS. Without a good reason I wouldn't run any of Gigabyte's software, especially not anything that requires their "app suite."

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have a Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570 but I refuse to install any of Gigabyte's software. It doesn't have a good reputation, and most of the functions their apps perform can be performed better by other applications or from the BIOS. Without a good reason I wouldn't run any of Gigabyte's software, especially not anything that requires their "app suite."

Those apps also increase DPC latency which may or may not matter but, I agree.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The software has also been known to expose massive security holes. But this is hardly unique to Gigabyte, honestly nobody should run motherboard vendor utilities.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

The software has also been known to expose massive security holes. But this is hardly unique to Gigabyte, honestly nobody should run motherboard vendor utilities.
Has anything good happened after downloading a SFX ZIP EXE from ftp.chainstarrock.com.tw at 74kbps?

What’s worse is you’ve got no choice if you want BIOS updates. “Hey, you know this piece of software that could brick someone’s system if it’s corrupted? Let’s host it on a server on Typhoon Island, Taiwan and if they’re worried about sharks chewing on the transpacific underwater cable at just the wrong time, we’ll put their mind at ease by putting it on a webpage that resembles an Angelfire warez portal!”

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Do retailers add unique identifiers to their products? The stockdrops discord discovered a $359 listing for what we thought was a 5800x last week (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Merchandise/950625545). The UPC/model # and pictures all are 5800x so I ordered one. People have started to get theirs delivered this weekend (mine comes tomorrow) and unfortunately it appears that Walmart isent us 5600x's, so we all got scalped by Walmart (msrp is $299). I already had an Amazon 5600x (at $299 msrp) scheduled for delivery on Nov 30th (was going to cancel if the 5800x deal panned out) but I'm impatient and I'd to use the 5600x I get tomorrow. Are all 5600x's generic between retailers? I'm wondering if I could use the overpriced 5600x I get tomorrow and then return the Amazon 5600x to Walmart when it arrives later this month to get my $359 back. Will they be able to detect that it didn't originate from Walmart? None of the other discord users have had luck w/ Walmart doing a price match or exchange...return only.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

There is a unique serial number on the outside of each processor, this is usually scanned at retail - but my Amazon receipt & packing slip does not have it. As you are returning a 100% new in box processor that has never been opened or registered you should be totally fine. It's not like it isn't in saleable condition or the buyer would have warranty issues.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Indiana_Krom posted:

Gigabyte’s bullshit is also implicated in a lot of gdrv2.sys bluescreens, including I believe my own.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

bus hustler posted:

There is a unique serial number on the outside of each processor, this is usually scanned at retail - but my Amazon receipt & packing slip does not have it. As you are returning a 100% new in box processor that has never been opened or registered you should be totally fine. It's not like it isn't in saleable condition or the buyer would have warranty issues.
Just because the serial is not printed on the receipt doesn't mean the serial is not stored in Walmart's computer system somewhere. After all, they are scanning the serial number hypothetically for the purposes of a warranty or protection plan so the serial number is definitely stored in the system somewhere. For that matter, the Amazon CPU could even have a completely different UPC code from Walmart. Sure it might work, but why gamble with $359 if you just have to wait a couple days to do things legitimately? You're already going to get funny looks for trying to return a 5600 using a receipt that says you purchased a 5800. . .

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

etalian posted:

What sort of CPU cooler do you have for this setup?

360 AIO. Corsair, I think.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Xaris posted:

I've had XMP be unstable on AMD before, and there's apparently some very recent brand-new BIOS bugs on some motherboards (MSI was one; possibly others) that have problems with RAM running over 3200 but maybe they're fixed now. See if there's a new beta BIOS if it's one of those affected.

I wish I'd read this post yesterday, I spent a lot of my free time last week trying to figure out why my new build was unstable with my RAM at any speed above 3200 and ended up switching out my MSI motherboard for an Asus one. :sweatdrop:

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah it's pretty poo poo, just installed a couple of their programs to see if their inhouse stuff has any specific advantages it doesn't.
What's the new hotness for mucking about with fan curves? Is Speedfan still good or is Argus Monitor any better?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Don't Ask posted:

Yeah it's pretty poo poo, just installed a couple of their programs to see if their inhouse stuff has any specific advantages it doesn't.
What's the new hotness for mucking about with fan curves? Is Speedfan still good or is Argus Monitor any better?

I've just been adjusting the fan curves in the BIOS. For as poo poo as their Windows software is, I find Gigabyte's BIOS to be fine.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Don't Ask posted:

Speedfan hasn't been updated in years, sadly. Argus is very solid but payware, Fan Control popped up recently and might be a freeware alternative but I haven't tried it.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Arzachel posted:

Speedfan hasn't been updated in years, sadly. Argus is very solid but payware, Fan Control popped up recently and might be a freeware alternative but I haven't tried it.

Thanks for pointing this one out, just checked it on my gigabyte z390 aorus master and it works for all the PWM fans (unfortunately it doesn't work for the DC fans). I have all my fan curves baked into BIOS anyway based off a thermristor in the coolant of my water loop, but I like having an option to temporarily override the curves and have been missing speedfan for the last couple years. Now if only this had a "delta" curve that could adjust fan speeds based off the difference between two temperature sensors (like say for instance the difference between the coolant temperature and the ambient temperature).

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Not Wolverine posted:

Just because the serial is not printed on the receipt doesn't mean the serial is not stored in Walmart's computer system somewhere. After all, they are scanning the serial number hypothetically for the purposes of a warranty or protection plan so the serial number is definitely stored in the system somewhere. For that matter, the Amazon CPU could even have a completely different UPC code from Walmart. Sure it might work, but why gamble with $359 if you just have to wait a couple days to do things legitimately? You're already going to get funny looks for trying to return a 5600 using a receipt that says you purchased a 5800. . .

Eh Amazon never touched these, these are definitely 100% drop shipped by the manufacturer but you definitely aren't wrong. Nobody is being defrauded though really (its not like he is knowingly returning a bad one) so if he wants to go for it, it'd be on him to eat it if they say something. It's not a crime it'd just be a little embarrassing.

He's already going to get funny looks, "you hosed up and sent me the wrong processor at an inflated price," is a pretty good counter to "the serial numbers dont match" idk i'm not the CPU police or the wal mart stan - the retailer who originally lied to him in the listing & never informed him of the mistake.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 15, 2020

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've just been adjusting the fan curves in the BIOS. For as poo poo as their Windows software is, I find Gigabyte's BIOS to be fine.

I usually prefer to mess around with the fan curves when I can also load the CPU/GPU to get live results, so while the BIOS is fine it's not as convenient. Also I don't know if it's a AMD or a Gigabyte thing, but there are a lot of settings in the BIOS that are pretty obscure, with descriptions like "IOMMU. Enables or disables AMD IOMMU support. (Default: Auto)".

Arzachel posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apparently M1's awesome performance is due to its explicit RISC nature (fixed length instructions) allowing it to go pretty wide. At least that's something claimed over at Anandtech. It also has a huge reorder buffer. If that performance achievement is actually true, I wonder if/when AMD or Intel are going to introduce a new instruction set that's closer to the µOps to enable similar performance/going wider, via a second decoder block or whatever, running side-by-side with x86 to switch between during runtime.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Cygni posted:

Based on the discord im in, 5600X seems to be around occasionally. 5900X and 5950X is in lol territory.

Yeah, I've noticed a lot more people signing up for notifications for the 5900x than any other flavor, which of course is the one I would like.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nohearum posted:

Do retailers add unique identifiers to their products? The stockdrops discord discovered a $359 listing for what we thought was a 5800x last week (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Merchandise/950625545). The UPC/model # and pictures all are 5800x so I ordered one. People have started to get theirs delivered this weekend (mine comes tomorrow) and unfortunately it appears that Walmart isent us 5600x's, so we all got scalped by Walmart (msrp is $299). I already had an Amazon 5600x (at $299 msrp) scheduled for delivery on Nov 30th (was going to cancel if the 5800x deal panned out) but I'm impatient and I'd to use the 5600x I get tomorrow. Are all 5600x's generic between retailers? I'm wondering if I could use the overpriced 5600x I get tomorrow and then return the Amazon 5600x to Walmart when it arrives later this month to get my $359 back. Will they be able to detect that it didn't originate from Walmart? None of the other discord users have had luck w/ Walmart doing a price match or exchange...return only.

I mean, I don't want to defend some mega corporation but you're doing something somewhat fraudulent just because you want instant gratification. At the same time, gently caress walmart for the bait and switch (assuming it was actually listed as a 5800x), just return it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
While it is POSSIBLE for retailers to scan and care about SNs, they generally don't unless the SN is conspicuously on the receipt.

Warranty and such has nothing to do with it: retailers aren't supporting a return past 30 days or so, so they give zero shits about linking it to a manufacturer warranty. And they're generally not reporting sold SNs back to the manufacturer, which is why half the time you buy something that lets you look up your warranty by SN it shows as having started weeks/month prior to your purchase: it started when it was shipped to the retailer, and that was the last time the manufacturer knew of the part.

Basically gently caress Walmart, and if they won't take it back for some reason, open a credit card dispute for them sending you the wrong item.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I went through the same scenario with the Gigabyte software and fan controls. I went with a Grid v3 and use CAM which is slightly less anus but still total poo poo imo. The smarter (and cheaper choice) that I regret not doing is just buying PWM splitters where I needs them and Argus Monitor. Or that GitHub linked up there, it either wasn't available when I looked or I missed it somehow. Gonna give it a go though because gently caress CAM.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 15, 2020

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
And Walmart officially bait & switched me. 5600x delivered for 20% over MSRP. :(

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Nohearum posted:

And Walmart officially bait & switched me. 5600x delivered for 20% over MSRP. :(

:rip:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I thought it was funny that my 5900x ran prime95 of all loving things at a balmy 62°c.

Turns out this thing only wants to boost to 4.2ghz :laffo:

oh god now I get to diagnose dumb poo poo

e: well that was fast. The Bootleg asus XMP profile sets my memory to the proper 3600mhz but sends the cpu to 4.2ghz mode for whatever the gently caress reason.

e2: Yeah, I think we're good now

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 16, 2020

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

How do you adjust PPT? I’m building SFF for my 5900X and 3080 FE, and if I can lower that for better thermals and unnoticeable performance difference then I’m sure as hell gonna.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

How do you adjust PPT? I’m building SFF for my 5900X and 3080 FE, and if I can lower that for better thermals and unnoticeable performance difference then I’m sure as hell gonna.
Depends on your mainboard, it's usually hidden in some overclocking sub-menu* (which makes you accept a "this might blow up your computer, are you sure?" warning first). I think my Gigabyte B450 mainboard had it in peripherals of all places.

*E: in the BIOS that is - you can also set it in Ryzen Master I think.

orcane fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 16, 2020

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

ijyt posted:

Hidden away in the BIOS (Precision Boost Override Manual on Asrock boards, I think) or through Ryzen Master.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ijyt posted:

Run Ryzen Master

Copy the default PPT, TDC and EDC down

Run Cinebench R20 and watch how hot it gets and write down the score

Enable PBO mode in Ryzen Master

Change the PPT to like 120 (default is like 142 iirc) and enter the defaults for the other two.

Run R20 again, your score should be maybe 2% lower and it should be noticeably cooler.

If that works reboot and enter the BIOS to find the PBO settings and enter them there. The exact details depend on your mobo/bios.

It may have a "scalar" you have to select, choose the lowest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Awesome, thanks everyone.