Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Electric Hobo posted:

This is super good looking, and almost makes me want to paint some terrain. But I also know that I'll never, ever, actually put a lot of effort into my terrain.

Thanks! Honestly its been super fun. Despite working on 16 tiles at the same time, it goes by really fast, and at the end its this big rear end game board to play on. Also a welcome break from hordes of fine detailed infantry. I wanna do even more terrain now tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i wanted to cover the base of my santa claus mini in snow so i mixed together baking soda and white glue. mostly it made a mess :(

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

I made this swatch while investigating potential replacements for P3 Coal Black for a friend. Dunno if it'll be useful for anyone else but figured I'd post it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

jesus WEP posted:

i wanted to cover the base of my santa claus mini in snow so i mixed together baking soda and white glue. mostly it made a mess :(

A 1:1:1 mix of PVA glue (white glue), baking soda and white craft paint (not your miniture paints, cheap rear end craft paint is ideal) worked well for me when I was only doing a few bases and didnt want to spend money on an actual snow effect, so maybe mix some white paint in there?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Stephenls posted:

I made this swatch while investigating potential replacements for P3 Coal Black for a friend. Dunno if it'll be useful for anyone else but figured I'd post it.

oh no... what happened to Coal Black :ohdear:

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

BULBASAUR posted:

Blessed is the oil bath

hallowed is the rust filter

virtuous is the panel shade

holy is the pin wash

amen

getting some sweet roborally vibes here

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

BULBASAUR posted:

oh no... what happened to Coal Black :ohdear:

Apparently P3 does their paint production in distinct batches, and right now Coal Black is pretty sold out most places and they haven't done another production run in a while. All the shops around where I live have stopped carrying their paint line.

It looks like Incubi Darkness is a pretty close match.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Stephenls posted:

Apparently P3 does their paint production in distinct batches, and right now Coal Black is pretty sold out most places and they haven't done another production run in a while. All the shops around where I live have stopped carrying their paint line.

It looks like Incubi Darkness is a pretty close match.

I'm guessing COVID hosed up P3 production, as they were planning on releasing some new paints early this year likely to coincide with Warcaster, and they're not out yet.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It's tough to use in the exact same way, but I'd love to see Daler Rowney Payne's Grey Ink on that chart.

Super useful chart though, I wish I had something like that for every single line of paint. The color swatches even from something like paintrack are not quite the same.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Cinara posted:

It's tough to use in the exact same way, but I'd love to see Daler Rowney Payne's Grey Ink on that chart.

Super useful chart though, I wish I had something like that for every single line of paint. The color swatches even from something like paintrack are not quite the same.

This isn't perfect, and it's no longer up to date, but it might be useful to you.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Whew honestly I was going to quit and started to think I'm no good at this poo poo but I'm pretty happy with how the first round of minis came out. Some areas of Vision got a bit iffy after a 2nd coat and I could not for the life of me get eyes onto Winter Soldier's mask (idk how the gently caress I managed Vision's two yellow dots) but I felt pretty good about fixing them up. It's been an issue figuring out how much water to dilute paints is the norm but now I've realized you don't really need too much to get it smoother. Just wish I had glittery blue paint for Vision's "phase" effect.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Xpost

Still working through the Indomitus box. Finished the LT this week. I really liked painting this one. The helmet stripes were a challenge, but wanted to stick to the chapters colors. I like how the texts came out though. I'm switching up the base paint for the Purity seals. I've been using a P3 Menoth highlight since I had it laying around, but the pot got super watery and thin in its old age making it a real pain to use.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

This is super cool, especially the later part with the coverage over black/grey/white. I am actually going to do something similar but on my actual paint rack once I build a new one. I want to move to a more vertical wall mounted style to free up desk space, biggest drawback to a paint addiction is how do I store them.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Hey, does anyone know what’s going on with the lower carapace of the new Heavy Destroyer’s official paint job?

It looks like a sort of desaturated burgundy/purple metallic effect that, as nearly as I can tell, does not show up on any of the other new necron studio models, and the official list of colors used on the model doesn’t include anything like it, either.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Finished up the Gloomhaven starters with Brute and Mindthief

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
That's a beautiful psychic murder cat. I painted a few gloomhaven dudes and it takes some real work to make them look awesome.

I've been getting into 15 mm recently and there have been a lot of quality ups and downs trying different ranges before I ordered some demonworld figures.

These littles bastards come up the knees of most of the things I paint and have better detail than many of them. Highly recommended to anyone looking to try out 15 mm.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 13, 2020

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

That's a beautiful psychic murder cat. I painted a few gloomhaven dudes and it takes some real work to make them look awesome.

I've been getting into 15 mm recently and there have been a lot of quality ups and downs trying different ranges before I ordered some demonworld figures.

These littles bastards come up the knees of most of the things I paint and have better detail than many of them. Highly recommended to anyone looking to try out 15 mm.

Your 15mm bases look better then my 28mm ones, awesome.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Stephenls posted:

Hey, does anyone know what’s going on with the lower carapace of the new Heavy Destroyer’s official paint job?

It looks like a sort of desaturated burgundy/purple metallic effect that, as nearly as I can tell, does not show up on any of the other new necron studio models, and the official list of colors used on the model doesn’t include anything like it, either.

It looks like a bronze to me (versus the copper of the upper carapace). I would assume you could achieve that using appropriate dark bronze tone paints.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It looks like it's probably Runelord Brass highlighted with a silver, and then the bright greens of the sourced lighting effect make it look reddish/purple by comparison. Rough estimate: Runelord Brass -> Sycorax Bronze overbrush -> a light drybrush of leadbelcher -> runefang steel edge highlighting

It's also possible it started with Barak-nar burgundy as a base with a heavy brass overbrushing but I'm not confident that's what's actually happening. I think the purplish-tint is an optical illusion.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 13, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Periodic reminder that, if you've gotta be on Facebook, you should at least be looking at MARE SOLUM - 40k waterworld while there.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Stephenls posted:

they are leaning really heavily on nuln oil or agrax earthshade? and i would bet most of the skirt is only using true metallics for highlights

this is all about the layering technique, I'd like to know how the artist did it myself. It looks really nice.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 13, 2020

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fingat posted:

Xpost

Still working through the Indomitus box. Finished the LT this week. I really liked painting this one. The helmet stripes were a challenge, but wanted to stick to the chapters colors. I like how the texts came out though. I'm switching up the base paint for the Purity seals. I've been using a P3 Menoth highlight since I had it laying around, but the pot got super watery and thin in its old age making it a real pain to use.

Tidy

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
i've been trying to get close to tyrian purple for days and kept thinking "i know i have something here somewhere" and i've dug through my army painter and i've dug through my vallejo and i've dug through my p3 and i've tried to mix to it and i bought new army painter shades and still couldn't get it and then i loving remembered

god damnit folk art

it honestly looks really good and is behaving with glaze medium, i am so happy

it's so rich and saturated and it was only $1.25!! I may need to get it just a tinge redder. I have a big drawer full of craft paints I picked up for terrain and I have mostly used this purple for a little extra color depth on rocky bases. i am glad to see it actually works as a miniature paint. it's so hard to tell what you're going to get with craft paints, they are awful about half the time and then the other half you get something like this :shrug:

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 13, 2020

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

And here's the craft paint in action :3

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

good to know re:craft paint. Ive been looking into paint for my kiddos and that seems like a good way to get a bunch of colors for cheap

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

w00tmonger posted:

good to know re:craft paint. Ive been looking into paint for my kiddos and that seems like a good way to get a bunch of colors for cheap

yep! sometimes with craft paint what you get mixes poorly or doesn't stick to plastic well but if that's the case it's only $1-2 so it's not a great loss... and every once in a while, you end up with somebody none of the big boys seem to have, heh

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The new Chaos Knight kit doesnt have a musician and standard bearer so I had to improvise.

The "musician" is haunted by the ghost of a horn player he killed.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

That rocks so much

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

w00tmonger posted:

You can also get cheap plastic model kits (Revell has a lot of 1:144 and even 1:72 planes that go for $10 or so) because they always come with more paint than you need, some okay-for-kids brushes, paint quality is less random than cheap craft store paint, and your kid will have a model to play with and re-paint a dozen times.

I use craft paint extensively for washes and stuff though! Never buying Nuln oil again in my life.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

a7m2 posted:

That rocks so much

Thanks! I was inspired by the extremely radical herald following Kurdoss around: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-WW/Kurdoss-Valentian-The-Craven-King-2018

I very nearly bought that kit just to get that toot guy, but buying a 40$ kit to get just that guy was a bit ridiculous, so I used a spare spirit host ghost and a tomb kings trumpet instead.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mirthless posted:

And here's the craft paint in action :3

It looks textured, exactly like how a cloak should look (I don't know if that was your intention but it's diegetic as all get-out)?

:shrug:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Some random big guys

Triclyde (who I just realized I've forgotten to do pupils for. Gonna fix that...), and a lizard who's pretty done.

And about the only good Bugbear I've found (but it is a really good bugbear), plus a Mushussu.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

PoptartsNinja posted:

And about the only good Bugbear I've found (but it is a really good bugbear), plus a Mushussu.

That cobra guy is delightful - where did you find him?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dienes posted:

That cobra guy is delightful - where did you find him?

It's 3D printed. The .stl is Rocket Pig Games' Rattyl Drake. I'm not a huge fan of their style, but as you said: the cobra guy is delightful. I couldn't pass him up.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 14, 2020

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Just spent the evening with my niece. She is six seven.

It was a little hard for her to work an airbrush and i helped her smooth out details and transitions but this is like 90% her and i couldn't believe how fast she got it

She picked all of the colors and gave him a backstory where he has a cybernetic leg and bloodstained claws from eating monsters. I suspect she may have been watching doom playthroughs on twitch or whatever six year olds do for fun these days????

edit: I phone posted this last night and was pretty tired, embedding the images and looking at it again she really knocked it out of the park on the colors she picked and the way she approached painting the model, she was building a narrative and carefully considering how each section should look and knew she wanted to do color transitions and I didn't have to tell her to do that, she just figured it all out on her own. Even working with the wet palette and thinning her paint! I definitely did the "help the kid with the project" thing at the end pulling it together but it really surprised me

Kids figure things out really fast!!! And they have so much creativity. I don't have children myself so I find myself underestimating them a lot. I wish my first mini had been this ambitious or looked this good!

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 15, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey guys, come sign up for Trad Games Secret Santa! There's still a week left to sign up. You could ask for paint, or basing material, or minis, or brushes, or maybe just dongs or a board game!

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Crossing posting from the 40K thread. I’m still painting the Lasher Tendrils but won’t get another chance to take any pictures in anything approaching good lighting until next weekend so gently caress it, here is my almost finished Thousand Sons Maulerfiend.

I got the model off a friend for £20 and it was nearly completely assembled already, so the pose isn’t quite what I’d have gone for. But hey, £20 down from £45 and I help a buddy out?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Looking great so far.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Crossing posting from the 40K thread. I’m still painting the Lasher Tendrils but won’t get another chance to take any pictures in anything approaching good lighting until next weekend so gently caress it, here is my almost finished Thousand Sons Maulerfiend.

I got the model off a friend for £20 and it was nearly completely assembled already, so the pose isn’t quite what I’d have gone for. But hey, £20 down from £45 and I help a buddy out?

hell yeah, that's a super clean paint job. The base could be cleaned up a tiny bit but that's the absolute one thing I think should be changed. Fantastic work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Leperflesh posted:

Hey guys, come sign up for Trad Games Secret Santa! There's still a week left to sign up. You could ask for paint, or basing material, or minis, or brushes, or maybe just dongs or a board game!

Thanks, I think I'll do this this year!