Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Anyone know what the first one was? When will people learn to screenshot things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Desert Bus posted:

Anyone know what the first one was? When will people learn to screenshot things?

It was about how Epstein is more trustworthy than Bar

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

It said Epstein was better than Barr because at least Epstein wasn't a pussy

relax-o-vision
Feb 21, 2007

IOSM: Posting graphic pictures of dolphin pussy

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/raising_hill/status/1327044173329993738

:confused:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That can probably be said of any American politician

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

xtal posted:

That can probably be said of any American politician

But enough talk. Have at you!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Inceltown posted:

It was about how Epstein is more trustworthy than Bar

Thanks!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Desert Bus posted:

Sorry about that, I was phone posting and imgur never works right on my phone, I did save a screenshot and edited into my post just now, but here it is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
OP is not the idiot

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1327847099799658503?s=20

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

From a few pages ago, but I'm absolutely staggered by "micro-cucked". Like Dennis Quaid is going to gently caress my wife with his tiny submarine. A partially permeable membrane that allows tiny penises through. It's incredible. Micro-cucked. What a world.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Tracey finally hit the big time, you guys

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Calm down, Ben Shapiro.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/davetheslave/status/1327760337081425921?s=21

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

mods namechange to Surreal Nonbinary Rat Dyke pls

(One day the trans community will stop attempting to tear each other down in an attempt to be the Most Trans. One day. :sigh:)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I hope these people are seeing a professional. To be a grown rear end adult and still melting down over a star wars movie is insane

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

I hope these people are seeing a professional. To be a grown rear end adult and still melting down over a star wars movie is insane

It's definitely a weird one, plenty of bad movies come out and nobody is spending their lives melting down at the directors of those. I wonder if it's because they've incorporated star wars into their identity so if a movie comes out that they think is bad, it makes them feel like they've been personally diminished by it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

hooman posted:

It's definitely a weird one, plenty of bad movies come out and nobody is spending their lives melting down at the directors of those. I wonder if it's because they've incorporated star wars into their identity so if a movie comes out that they think is bad, it makes them feel like they've been personally diminished by it.

It's because Star Wars was the perfect, most iconic movie in all moviedom, the platonic ideal of Movie. It even had a Perfect Trilogy in which to ensconce itself against other properties making similar claims like Indiana Jones and Terminator. Yes, they built it into the bedrock of their own personalities: I am the kind of person who, come hell or high water, will always enjoy watching Star Wars, can always fall back on the axiomatic greatness of Star Wars.

And then along came this sequel which inverted some of the assumptions the first ones made and tore open the perfection of the package and made it open-ended and ambiguous. Sacrilege

Also the prequels a) never existed b) don't count because they're by the original creator c) are also perfect somehow

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The problem with making a Star Wars movie is that your work is going to be compared to the version of whatever movie someone saw when they were a small child and it was the most awesome thing ever.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I feel like Rian Johnson can just cry himself to sleep on his huge piles of money if the angry chuds ever hurt his feelings.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Somehow this person is in the comments telling other people 1. to stop taking it so seriously, and 2. that "it felt like being assaulted".

Data Graham posted:

Also the prequels a) never existed b) don't count because they're by the original creator c) are also perfect somehow
The amount of people I've seen going to bat for episodes 1-3 since 7-9 came out blows my god-damned mind. There are tons of valid complaints about the new SW movies. Loads. Some feel that more than others. But the prequels were so terrible, in every way, that I can't imagine any kind of defense. The dialog was written by people who never heard humans talk, the directing got terrible performances out of Oscar-winning actors and actresses, the set designs looked like a bad video game, the pacing was absolutely atrocious, and the plots made no sense. It was abstract garbage from every possible angle and it seemed almost aggressive in its badness. It's okay to hate the sequels without pretending the prequels were good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The set designs looked like a good video game because star wars battlefront 2 was pretty good :v:

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

garthoneeye posted:

I believe where the idea of food as cultural appropriation comes from is white chefs making a name for themselves with food from other cultures, often without attributing or paying the people of that culture that taught them/gave them recipes.

This was than misinterpreted and spread as eating other cultures food is somehow appropiation.

Well said - there’s the similar phenomenon where “the fetishization of women of nonwhite races by some white men is troubling and gross” sometimes gets telephone-gamed into “inter-racial dating is bad!”

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I liked the last Jedi. It was a fun time when I saw it. Even the last one was ok even if I would have liked to see the story go in a different way. It had laser swords and space ships. Those are cool

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like I know the Plinkett reviews are problematic but they are 1000% more entertaining and watchable than the prequels, and I'll happily cue them up anytime instead

Much like how no, I'm not going to actually sit down and watch The Room, but the Disaster Artist sure.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

Somehow this person is in the comments telling other people 1. to stop taking it so seriously, and 2. that "it felt like being assaulted".

The amount of people I've seen going to bat for episodes 1-3 since 7-9 came out blows my god-damned mind. There are tons of valid complaints about the new SW movies. Loads. Some feel that more than others. But the prequels were so terrible, in every way, that I can't imagine any kind of defense. The dialog was written by people who never heard humans talk, the directing got terrible performances out of Oscar-winning actors and actresses, the set designs looked like a bad video game, the pacing was absolutely atrocious, and the plots made no sense. It was abstract garbage from every possible angle and it seemed almost aggressive in its badness. It's okay to hate the sequels without pretending the prequels were good.

Presumably the defenders saw the prequels as children and fell in the kind of blind love with them in the way that older people did with the original trilogy.

There are also presumably some children now falling in love with the third trilogy the same way.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Star Wars made Alec Guinness rich enough that he could play George Smiley on tv and not worry about it affecting his movie career, so it's got that going for it.

But I have no idea who this Dave Handleman is, and I think I'm the better for not knowing.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Thanks to the staggered nature of the three trilogies, Star Wars has successfully broken three different generations of awkward men, which is pretty drat impressive if you think about it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

this is my favorite star wars story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQ4vCu-S0U

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

BrigadierSensible posted:

One of the things about "cultural appropriation" that shits me the most is the food stuff.

So every time as a kid when my brother or I would invite friends round to our house and Dad cooked them a dosa and they liked it, was that cultural appropriation? Everytime as an adult when I have cooked for friends and they asked how to do so and I have shared my grandmothers recipe for Sambar, am I facillitating cultural appropriation?

Also, lets take it further, and away from food. When I bring my American, English etc. friends to watch a game of AFL on the TV at a local bar, and they enjoy it, is that cultural appropriation? (Footy is hugely important in Australian culture.) How about is the fact that I enjoy cricket, and was introduced to it by my Indian father? Is that cultural appropriation? (Cricket was invented in England)

I am not saying that cultural appropriation does not exist, nor am I denying that it can be hugely offensive and hurtful.

But instead I am trying to say that good cool things are good and cool. And if your culture has stuff that is good and cool, then you should share it with others who did not have previous access to the goodness and coolosity, and it is a good thing if/when they start doing them because they are good and cool.

All those things would be appropriation or something along those lines. The original meaning of cultural appropriation is value-neutral. It's just describing the exchange of ideas that naturally happen when any two cultures meet. The thing is, the legacy of colonialism basically puts a giant thumb on the scale ensure that there can be no equal exchange as long as that system remains in any capacity. It's not that sometimes individuals are lovely and will steal ideas from other cultures, but on a macro scale the amount of power and influence certain cultures exert is so overwhelming that it makes it impossible for them not to fall into an exploitative role even when they try not to.

It's good to be aware of the small things because those add up, but people tend to over-fixed on them as a way to deal with the frustration of being part of an unjust system you alone cannot change.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like cultural commodification is probably a more useful term a lot of the time.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
I thought we already knew it was just sexism that compelled people to defend the prequels over the new films?

We all heard the unnecessary level of bitching over that lady with the colorful hair. Not to mention Rey the "Mary sue."

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Grimdude posted:

I thought we already knew it was just sexism that compelled people to defend the prequels over the new films?

We all heard the unnecessary level of bitching over that lady with the colorful hair. Not to mention Rey the "Mary sue."

I don't think it's fair to deride every single person who didn't like the new movies as a sexist. I prefer the prequels because, while bad, they are fun. The new trilogy is just flat and boring from start to finish.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Yeah, she got dragged to Albaquerque and back for this one but is probably still doubling down

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

As someone who was once a little girl who wanted to play Star Wars in the backyard and was seriously hampered by the existence of one and only one girl character, and there's only so many times you can go "Leia has a lightsaber now because I said so," The Force Awakens was a transcendent experience.

No one will ever take that from me.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Nostradingus posted:

I prefer the prequels because, while bad, they are fun. The new trilogy is just flat and boring from start to finish.
We must have watched different prequels because between the wooden acting, strained dialog sequences, and flatly choreographed fights, I tend to fall asleep.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Nostradingus posted:

I don't think it's fair to deride every single person who didn't like the new movies as a sexist. I prefer the prequels because, while bad, they are fun. The new trilogy is just flat and boring from start to finish.

I mean, this isn't really what I was saying anyway. Plenty of people didn't "like" the new movies that much. But I'll just say, there's been a pretty consistent type of person who feels the prequels were suddenly so redeemable for reasons.

But I guess I could see how the new movies are "flat and boring" compared to shoving as many lightsabers and loud colors onto one screen as possible. The prequels were after all targeted much more toward children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

While it's true not everyone hwho criticized the new trilogy is sexist, I'm guessing the guy who hops into a director's mentions apropos of nothing demanding he spend the rest of his life apologizing for making a movie he didn't like probably doesn't have the best view of women either.