Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Dice Tower youtube channel directly advertises Biblical Womanhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

PerniciousKnid posted:

People think quiverfull is political but it's really about careful resource management.

Yeah my friend always dominates with the family growth spot, who can say no to efficient action economy

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
The Infinitum rematch is going live in 0 to 5 minutes!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

threelemmings posted:

Yeah my friend always dominates with the family growth spot, who can say no to efficient action economy

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

I also hate his stupid hats.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Rick Royal does great play throughs. Solo only though.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Ricky Royal is how I (and many others, it seems) learned to play Mage Knight.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky
Anyone had any luck getting Asmodee to get them a missing piece when your LGS won't take returns?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Llyranor posted:

Ricky Royal is how I (and many others, it seems) learned to play Mage Knight.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey guys, come sign up for Trad Games Secret Santa! There's still a week left to sign up. Ask for boardgames! You might get a cool boardgame.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Hey guys, come sign up for Trad Games Secret Santa! There's still a week left to sign up. Ask for boardgames! You might get a cool boardgame.

Was really considering this, is it much of an issue if you're a euro goon?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Aramoro posted:

If someone is overseas or in a location with expensive shipping, could you just order something shipped to them from an in-country shop?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

I'll sign up for this if people want a home made board game from me. Made of wood, not cardboard! The rules might also be custom :v:

But I don't want anyone who will get annoyed if they don't get the pack of rare magic cards they asked for or something. Is this high enough quality for home made? The pieces are hand carved on a lathe.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Rutibex posted:

I'll sign up for this if people want a home made board game from me. Made of wood, not cardboard! The rules might also be custom :v:

But I don't want anyone who will get annoyed if they don't get the pack of rare magic cards they asked for or something. Is this high enough quality for home made? The pieces are hand carved on a lathe.

Whoa, those look great. Damned if I know what game it is though.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
There was a "hand made items" Secret Santa in the DIY area of the forums you missed out on!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The attention to detail and quality is exactly as expected

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Eyes Have It posted:

There was a "hand made items" Secret Santa in the DIY area of the forums you missed out on!

No I didn't lol

FulsomFrank posted:

Whoa, those look great. Damned if I know what game it is though.

Its "Apocalypse Chess", made of recycled pallet wood. The perfect game for 2020
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse_(chess_variant)

Bottom Liner posted:

The attention to detail and quality is exactly as expected

:tipshat:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You don't even the right number of pieces or the right distribution of them :psyduck:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

You don't even the right number of pieces or the right distribution of them :psyduck:

:v:
Very astute of you to notice that. Its a pic I took before I realized what game I had made. I can assure you I included an additional 4 pieces once I counted.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Rutibex posted:

:v:
Very astute of you to notice that. Its a pic I took before I realized what game I had made. I can assure you I included an additional 4 pieces once I counted.

:sigh:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Jaws of the Lion is pretty fiddly, And though I suspect we finish I’m glad I didn’t get its bigger brother.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Ropes4u posted:

Jaws of the Lion is pretty fiddly, And though I suspect we finish I’m glad I didn’t get its bigger brother.
What do you the most fiddly? If you're not using the app, I'm guessing the enemy hp/status effects. Using that monster envelope is such a pain, we switched to using spindown d10 dice directly on the map.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Llyranor posted:

What do you the most fiddly? If you're not using the app, I'm guessing the enemy hp/status effects. Using that monster envelope is such a pain, we switched to using spindown d10 dice directly on the map.

Set up and tear down, swapping monsters between the scenarios. It’s fun and we might swap to spin down dice vs standees, I will also look into the app.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah even for the much condensed smaller scope Jaws is a pain to setup and repack. I've just had it out on my game table for over a month now because it's so annoying. The insert doesn't help either. The class boxes to hold all the cards and bits are trash too.

Even still, it's ten times more manageable than Bighaven.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I threw out the insert and put all the individual monster stuff (stats card, standees, ability cards) in cd sleeves. Makes sorting them in and out faster. I don't use the monster envelope anymore since I just put the hp dice and status effects directly next to the standees on the map. I don't need the tiny initiative tokens either.

All this talk about fiddliness even for JotL reaffirms that Frosthaven will definitely not be for me.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Ropes4u posted:

Set up and tear down, swapping monsters between the scenarios. It’s fun and we might swap to spin down dice vs standees, I will also look into the app.

Definitely look into Gloomhaven Helper, I believe they've added all the JotL stuff to it. You can get rid of all monster decks (ability and modifier), all the monster envelopes (including the need to track monster hp or status with tokens), get rid of the little initiative trackers and even the element board.

I don't think my group would ever have finished Gloomhaven if we didn't use it.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah even for the much condensed smaller scope Jaws is a pain to setup and repack. I've just had it out on my game table for over a month now because it's so annoying. The insert doesn't help either. The class boxes to hold all the cards and bits are trash too.

Even still, it's ten times more manageable than Bighaven.

If you have access to a 3d printer some of the inserts are really great.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 16, 2020

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
18MEX is really, really good. Every company appears viable from turn 1, the train rush gets insane mid-way through, and the bank is the perfect size. Our second game had someone making ~$740 a run for three ORs.

We played one in person and another game with a different group the next day via 18xx.games and that website is fantastic. Cannot recommend the game and the site enough.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FulsomFrank posted:

18MEX is really, really good. Every company appears viable from turn 1, the train rush gets insane mid-way through, and the bank is the perfect size. Our second game had someone making ~$740 a run for three ORs.

We played one in person and another game with a different group the next day via 18xx.games and that website is fantastic. Cannot recommend the game and the site enough.

One of the games I really really want to play there. I'm kinda buried right now, but maybe at the start of the year I'll ask for folks in the Discord.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Gloomhaven storage solutions are a game unto themselves tbh. I think we went through like four or five generations before finally settling on something a week or two before we started playing online anyway...

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Does anyone have opinions on Bruges/the remake Hamburg?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

nordichammer posted:

When I got back from the Peace Corps, I had to sell a bunch of things to eat. One of those was Bruges. I recently spent quite a bit of money on an eBay copy because my girlfriend and I enjoyed playing it so much. I've also traveled to Bruges, so it has a nostalgic feeling too.

That being said, I'm not sure in the half dozen or so plays of it that we've developed any real strategy.
It's a pleasant puzzle, plays quickly with two, and we were able to get friends to play with us.

If you don't have a light euro and like the theme, I'd grab it if it's not too pricey.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Llyranor posted:

Dice Tower youtube channel directly advertises Biblical Womanhood

yea that lady is a loving weirdo.

I feel like the expanded Dice Tower community has slowly made Tom a better person. There's still problematic stuff like giving that loony kids games lady an outlet, but it feels like he's grown as a person to me. I can see why people want nothing to do with him though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The video interview between Vasel and Eric Lang is the best thing Tom has ever made, and part of that is Tom speaks for maybe a couple minutes total for an hour long video.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

nordichammer posted:

I played bruges a few times, and each time made me like it less, starting at reasonably enjoying.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

(whispers) every Stefan Feld game is bad

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ketchup vs catsup posted:

(whispers) every Stefan Feld game is bad

I like Trajan and ityotd, and tolerate cob.

I don't really dispute you other than Trajan really

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bruges was one of my least favorite euro games but Hamburg seems to fix my biggest issue by splitting the deck into colors. Don't know if that would be enough to make me like it, but it is a big improvement at face value.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Aramoro posted:

We've got five eurogoons signed up already so you'd be a sixth. If you prefer not to ship outside europe I can accommodate that! But also lots of TGSS participants just make an online purchase within the target country to avoid excessive shipping costs, and that's fine too.

Rutibex posted:

You've already signed up, and so I'm answering belatedly, but for anyone else reading: secret santa asignees ("Santees") are made semi-randomly, so I can't 100% guarantee that you won't get someone who just wants magic cards. But, I can probably handle that situation by doing a re-shuffle or swap or whatever. And honestly even someone who thinks they just want Magic cards would probably be delighted with a handmade wooden game!

As for quality, I've been watching your progress in the woodworking thread. I think those have a sort of rustic craft quality to them right now that I find charming. You will undoubtedly develop your skills over time and in ten years you'll think these were horrible, but they're really not bad at all and my best guess is that whoever gets something like that is gonna be pleased as punch with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

I've been watching your progress in the woodworking thread.

:ninja:
I guess I'll have to be careful what I post so I don't give away any secrets