Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

there wolf posted:

It's not completely divorced from white people in Europe, though. The epicenter of bland white food is the decadents of German and Scandinavian immigrants in the midwest, who didn't use a lot of spice to begin with in their cuisines, relying more on the sheer freshness of their ingredients in summer and lots of salting and sugar to preserve things through the winter. Now drop the poorest of those people in frontier Iowa, have them go through the increasing specialization of industrial farming, have their grandkids move to cities for work and start eating more processed food, then wars and rationing and the new alignments Precambrian was talking about...

I know, but the post I was replying to said French and Italian. He'd read the post he was replying to as generalizing all white people everywhere and was trying to knock down that straw man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Zesty posted:

I don’t know about Fremont, but Sunnyvale’s doesn’t really have a theme does it? That might be it for the themed locations.

I used to work at the Air and Space Museum in San Diego and one time I fielded a call from the local Fry's head, he had been assigned with theming the store here. His plan was to celebrate the military and he wanted to borrow our F-14 and hang it from their ceiling. Our CEO was gung ho to do it but technically the museum didn't have an F-14, the Navy had one parked at our auxiliary location. So I was tasked with calling the Navy, complete with a list of smaller navy planes to ask about if the Navy said no for some crazy reason. Some admiral's secretary pretty much laughed me off the phone.

Anyway now the theme of the Fry's in San Diego is "teenagers with two sizes too large of button down shirts shuffle around a giant empty building telling the one customer every three days that they're out of the thing."

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

One of the Fry's in Houston had an enormous, I think almost full size, model of the International Space Station hanging from the ceiling. An astronaut I know said it was the best ISS mock-up he'd ever seen.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

xarph posted:

Another Fry’s is dead. This is the Egyptian one where they covered the escalator/ramp with rocks rather than fix it.

Once again, the media narrative is “Amazon is killing stores” not “chain with incompetent, uninterested management that hasn’t improved since 1999 is collapsing under own weight.”

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/11/10/frys-electronics-closes-campbell-location-as-company-struggles-in-digital-age/
One of the two Fry's in the Sacramento region is "temporarily" closed due to COVID, I'm pretty certain it's never going to open again.

The other one has fairly-full shelves again, but only because they literally put up modular furniture walls to divide the store in half and move all the stock to the one open side. But I have at least been able to start picking up basic cables and adapters there, so they're getting some new supplies. I doubt they'll survive on cheap cables alone though.

Zesty posted:

I don’t know about Fremont, but Sunnyvale’s doesn’t really have a theme does it? That might be it for the themed locations.
The remaining Sacramento one has a railroad theme:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/F...!4d-121.2661618

Did the 50's sci-fi movies one in the LA area close yet? Other than the Bay Area ones that was the only other themed one I'd personally been to.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Knormal posted:

One of the two Fry's in the Sacramento region is "temporarily" closed due to COVID, I'm pretty certain it's never going to open again.

There were still two Fry’s here?! :psyduck: the last time I went to one (can’t remember which one) must have been almost 10 years ago and it felt like it was on its last legs even then.

captain chauncey
May 6, 2009

You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?

Knormal posted:

Did the 50's sci-fi movies one in the LA area close yet? Other than the Bay Area ones that was the only other themed one I'd personally been to.

That's the one in Burbank across from the airport, it's still open, in the expected state of barren decrepitude.

HOLY gently caress posted:

There were still two Fry’s here?! :psyduck: the last time I went to one (can’t remember which one) must have been almost 10 years ago and it felt like it was on its last legs even then.

The funny thing is the railroad themed one in Roseville was kind of a late addition, at least as far as CA Frys went. I want to say mid 00's, basically right after their best days were over.

While we're at it with the themed ones, I feel like a forgotten one is the Atlantis store in San Marcos in north county SD, it's kind of off the beaten path. Not sure if it's still kicking.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Precambrian posted:

There's actually a really interesting story about how "white" food came to be (and came to be bland). It's a complicated mass of cultural changes, and hard to pin down to just one cause, but as a quick summary: In the postwar environment, there was a sudden boom of wealth and technologization hitting Americans more so than any other place on Earth, and specifically, it was doled out to white America. Refrigeration as a status symbol is part of what drove the popularity of gelatins everywhere, plus you suddenly had whole new food production infrastructure that a newly forged corporate America was looking to experiment with. There was a drive to both be inventive with the possibilities of these new technologies (mashing items together and seeing what works!) and being thrifty—women's magazines from the mid century loved printing stories of women who learned at the last moment that hubby's boss is coming for dinner, and they didn't have enough to make a proper cake! But they were able to improvise from their pantry and make something that was novel, efficient, and visually impressive, even if it wasn't a replacement for actual baking (slowly, this would be eroded in their daughters' time). So those insane 50's recipes you see for, like, pureed hotdog and pineapple salad? I don't think anyone thought they tasted good, but it looked striking, it wasn't like anything that came before, and it let a housewife express herself creatively and overcome a challenge that she could brag about to her peers.

Plus, coming off WW2 rationing and a culture of boiling, for a lot of American's "tasted good" was kind of a third-ranked priority.

At the same time, you have a racial realignment going on in America. The nationalism of WW2 helped solidify a white American identity, with German culture (one of the biggest ethnic groups in America) being totally erased and Italians, Irish, and other less-than-white Europeans were "promoted" into a new white identity. It became a task to fill the void and "prove" you weren't something foreign. With the rise of the suburbs, you have a pressure towards utopian conformity, and breaking away from old familial structures—so now you're no longer living in complex, multigenerational family situations, so Nonna's spot in the family as the Keeper of Lore (and recipes) is slowly eroded. Cookbooks, already a big thing in Anglo-American culture, boom at this time, and you see a shift from recipes being something passed down in an oral and tactile tradition (pinches, handfuls, and eyeballing how much you put in something, every meal is unique) to something that is executed precisely (measuring cups and teaspoons, every meal has a "correct" ideal form it is compared against), so food stops being a place for creativity and experimentation to a place of precision and uniformity. I think seasoning in particular took a hit here, because you lose the idea of the "stocked" kitchen that responds flexibly to differing circumstances in favor of "do I have what I need to follow this recipe?" and when consistency of taste is more valuable than flavor, it's easier to be bland.

This is a heavy over-summation, but basically, white Americans were handed a technological and economic boom and used it to squander centuries of culinary and cultural tradition to forge a white identity that really only gave them a few generations worth of wealth and prestige until we're here now, with the children of the Mayo People looking at Cracker Barrel and wondering if it was worth it.

This is a really good post.^

There was still some creativity, but it wasn't from the people at home, it was from the recipe book and magazine writers who ran out of things that could fit the requirements while staying with a fairly uniform taste, but it ended up as dark creativity that created things like Tuna Jello Pie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Also possibly relevant- way more people smoked back then. People’s taste buds were hosed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also all the middle to upper class people were hosed up on over the counter medications.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also all the middle to upper class people were hosed up on over the counter medications.

Laura Bush faced

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Guitar center filing for bankruptcy.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/11/14/guitar-center-chapter-11-bankruptcy/6294720002/

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Weird. You would think more people decided "THIS is the year I learn the guitar!" thanks to COVID.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FilthyImp posted:

Weird. You would think more people decided "THIS is the year I learn the guitar!" thanks to COVID.

They all bought their guitars from Amazon.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I got an email yesterday from Payless Shoes, and I was stupid excited to shop online. Of course, no Canadian site, so whatever, but it looks like they've gone online only.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

It finally happened. Guitar Center has been rumored to to be going under for a decade now or something, but never thought it would actually happen

RIP

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

FilthyImp posted:

I don't know for sure, but it seems that guitar-based music just isn't as popular as it once was, and maybe has been trending that way for at least a decade? If less are listening to it, less are inspired to learn to play it.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I thought Guitar Center was a victim of typical private-equity management fuckery rather than poor sales?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ofecks posted:

I don't know for sure, but it seems that guitar-based music just isn't as popular as it once was, and maybe has been trending that way for at least a decade? If less are listening to it, less are inspired to learn to play it.
That makes perfect sense, especially when I stop and realize "Billie Eilish made her album with a MacBook in her room" was a thing last year.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!

FilthyImp posted:

"Fender has sold more guitars in 2020 than any other year in its history"

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/fender-has-sold-more-guitars-in-2020-than-any-other-year-in-its-history

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ofecks posted:

My daughter’s guitar teacher says she hasn’t been this busy in years. I just think people aren’t buying stuff at Guitar Center.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finally Guitar Center dies. My most hated store chain closes.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
The big issue with Guitar Center much like other retailers is that they're owned by a private equity firm who acquired them through a leveraged buy out so they have tons of debt. The pandemic just pushes them over the edge. Tho their bankruptcy here keeps most of their stores open it's just restructuring all that debt they had.

Kinda like toys r us the problem wasn't that selling toys was a bad business it's just hard to do when you have huge debt obligations foisted on you by private equity firms sulking your business dry like a capitalist vampire.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The article says that they are not expecting to liquidate. Mainly that they have to go into Chapter 11 in order to shed some debt that they aren't going to be able to repay. But they say specifically that they do not expect to close stores.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Being able to try out instruments in person is really nice but Guitar Center tends to have everything on the shelf be completely beat to hell by people loving them up with no intent to buy them. I was trying a 4k acoustic guitar that sounded nice but already was covered in so many scratches that I'd never have bought it from them after I noticed.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Subjunctive posted:

My daughter’s guitar teacher says she hasn’t been this busy in years. I just think people aren’t buying stuff at Guitar Center.

Yeah it seems likely to be a cyclical thing. Guitars have been around forever, with occasional dips in popularity, but they're pretty versatile and can be used in basically any style of music. This same "computers are taking over" thing happened in the '80s. (Heck, even in the '60s there was that infamous "Guitar music is on its way out" take from the guy who declined to sign The Beatles.) Eventually whatever's popular now becomes Dad Music and it's all fair game again.

So yeah, this might be more about Guitar Center specifically.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I had a friend win some contest where he got like $5000 in store credit for Guitar Center, and he bought me some earplugs so that I wouldn't be deafened at a concert. That was the only time I've ever been in an Guitar Center.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The local independent music store near us closed a few years ago because they couldn't make it work even with a fairly robust music lesson business and a goldmine renting overpriced instruments to band students. You couldn't find a parking space for a week every August because of all the parents getting rent-to-own trumpets for 3x their MSRP. Makes me think it's a tough business to succeed in.

Also Guitar Center is bad, but Mars Music man. They blew into town, killed a bunch of smaller shops, and then imploded under their own lovely business model. But hey, free drumsticks with any purchase.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also Guitar Center is bad, but Mars Music man. They blew into town, killed a bunch of smaller shops, and then imploded under their own lovely business model. But hey, free drumsticks with any purchase.

Hell yeah, Mars Music. That place was like mecca to a pimply teenager drummer.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Krispy Wafer posted:

The local independent music store near us closed a few years ago because they couldn't make it work even with a fairly robust music lesson business and a goldmine renting overpriced instruments to band students. You couldn't find a parking space for a week every August because of all the parents getting rent-to-own trumpets for 3x their MSRP. Makes me think it's a tough business to succeed in.

It seems the successful model for music stores is to own the building and then rent out 80% of it to other, successful businesses.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

:vince:

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Rick posted:

It seems the successful model for music stores is to own the building and then rent out 80% of it to other, successful businesses.

The local bookstore, a small locally owned one, rents out ~75% to a gun shop.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

ChickenDoodle posted:

I got an email yesterday from Payless Shoes, and I was stupid excited to shop online. Of course, no Canadian site, so whatever, but it looks like they've gone online only.
I had a payless near me that was having a going out of business sale for something like five years until about summer last year when it finally closed and reopened as an independent shoe store. Still there and looks like it gets plenty of costumers.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I've actually seen Claire's opening in Walmarts.

And Fedex Offices, which I thought was dumb, but it seems pretty smart because the only other copy/ship places nearby are usually UPS stores.

I still find it hilarious that Dress Barn ever opened. Great name for a store selling clothes to overweight women.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah I assume Frump Shack was already trademarked

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Carrion Luggage posted:

am I taking crazy pills or was this literally a King of the Hill episode

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cowslips Warren posted:

I've actually seen Claire's opening in Walmarts.

And Fedex Offices, which I thought was dumb, but it seems pretty smart because the only other copy/ship places nearby are usually UPS stores.

I still find it hilarious that Dress Barn ever opened. Great name for a store selling clothes to overweight women.

All I ever see in those Walmart stalls are banks and optometrists.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
there used to be little arcades in a lot of them

not great but they had those Fast and Furious games that were basically just pretty versions of Cruisin USA, and that was fun when i was in middle school

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Carrion Luggage posted:

How is Peggy doing?

e:fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

am I taking crazy pills or was this literally a King of the Hill episode

Yeah there was a book club as a front for a gun club or something like that. Free gun with every purchase.