Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

well, I installed big sur (because I am a masochist) and it really doesn't seem any slower than catalina was, and I'm on a 2015 macbook 12, which is probably the wimpiest computer that got the update. No bugs so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

big sur upgrade killed my internet connection and a few other folks i know as well. some sort of background service loving things up somehow... if I reboot with Safari open, it will load the page I was last trying to load before the reboot. Trying to load any other page, or reload that page, will fail. connected to wifi, but same result with wired connection. cant ping gateway, local dns server, anything external. dns lookups fail.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Big sur update went pretty smoothly for me last night. Nothing major broken yet at least, and a couple minor improvements. One being, I used get this weird graphics effect in the notification area and the menu bar area when switching spaces. That's gone. Not a big deal at all but it bugged the hell out of me.

Not 100% sold on the UI/X changes - some I like some I don't but eh, again not a major deal. At least Adobe CC now seems to respect the OS dialogues.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Maxwells Demon posted:

Between 10.14 and 10.15 I was able to disable the red notification badge on System Preferences with a command of (or similar to) <sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina">

Trying this but getting an error message that ignoring software updates is not a deprecated feature. Is there a way to remove the notification badge or will it be a red mark until I remove System Preferences from the Dock or finally capitulate?

I made a shortcut to sys prefs and put that in my dock instead of the real deal. No red badge! I think I'm running an older version though.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I looked back a few pages but this hadn't been asked yet:

I partitioned my Macbook to try the Big Sur beta. Before I upgrade my main Catalina partition, I want to remove the beta. I've booted into Big Sur and unenrolled my MBA. Can I just delete the BigSurData partition from (Catalina) Disk Utility now? Are there any other steps to take?

I'm not going to upgrade the Catalina install yet, at least not for a little while.

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 14, 2020

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I've heard a lot of talk about Affinity Photo here, but how do people feel about Affinity Designer as a replacement for Illustrator?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tried to install Big Sur on my 2013 15” pro. The installation threw up an error but on restart it started the install and seems to have worked fine. Looks nice so far, indexing was fairly quick

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Is there any way to just make the menu bar higher contrast/opaque and not anything else? It really is kind of illegible to my old eyes with certain desktop backgrounds. I know there is the "Reduce Transparency" option in Accessibility but I don't need to reduce transparency everywhere, just for the menu bar.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I don’t think so. But someone made a utility.

https://www.publicspace.net/BoringOldMenuBar/

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

doingitwrong posted:

I don’t think so. But someone made a utility.

https://www.publicspace.net/BoringOldMenuBar/

Perfect. I think that will work. Thanks!

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Small White Dragon posted:

I've heard a lot of talk about Affinity Photo here, but how do people feel about Affinity Designer as a replacement for Illustrator?

I’ve purchased it, but if you’re used to the keyboard shortcuts in Illustrator, it’s nigh useless lol

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

so where is a clean installer for Catalina? I was planning to upgrade this weekend, and now my drat system preferences only shows big Sur and no thank you.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Small White Dragon posted:

I love it, but I've never used Illustrator in a full-time professional capacity.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Zenostein posted:

Mind the gap.

But seriously, I thought the little gap between the dock and the screen edge would be the worst, but that window's dragged to the top left and you can see daylight.

There's also a stunning lack of contrast, which is annoying — I keep thinking this safari window's somehow not the front window. Turning on Increase Contrast helps a little, in that windows actually have an outline again, but that also looks strange — it looks rather like all the system UI elements are in black and white.

(Yes, that window is the frontmost window.)

I'm sure eventually I'll get used to them (because it's not likely that's going to be something Onyx'll change when it gets released…), but suddenly I'm wishing for Shapeshifter or one of those particularly bizarre OS 9 Appearances/Kaleidoscope themes.

On the plus side, nothing seems broken, not that I've tried much.

That's hideous. It's Lion all over again.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm a weird freak who hates when things are bigger than they need to be. I'm going to cry when I'm finally forced to upgrade from Mojave.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
it's not bad honestly when you are actually using the system and not looking at 400x blown up screenshots like hyperventilating nerds

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the first generation of a new apple design paradigm has repeatedly been fuckin ugly before it gets refined in the next revision.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol might be me having a knee-jerk reaction but I sure hope someone makes a hack that makes it so vpns actually work again

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CAROL posted:

Lol might be me having a knee-jerk reaction but I sure hope someone makes a hack that makes it so vpns actually work again

Are you using Global Protect? You need to be 5.1.5.2 or greater I believe.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Housh posted:

So I gather I should wait on updating huh

Well yesterday I had someone who installed the update and all their internet connectivity died, makes for great remote troubleshooting.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

CAROL posted:

VPNs work. I use viscosity with split dns for work and PIA client for personal stuff with no problem. Split tunnel works as well.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

CAROL posted:

So Big Sur is circumnavigating VPNs to still phone home, is that what I'm understanding?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

So Big Sur is circumnavigating VPNs to still phone home, is that what I'm understanding?

If so that seems less than ideal for secure corporate environments.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Zil posted:

If so that seems less than ideal for secure corporate environments.

That's what's being spoken about here: https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/13/apple-server-outage-reveals-mac-privacy-concerns/

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Anyone here know if VSCode is going to work on the new ARM macs without issue?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Earth posted:

Anyone here know if VSCode is going to work on the new ARM macs without issue?

vscode will work but a ton of extensions that rely on various binarys/scripts are currently broken

Violator
May 15, 2003

I have a powerful Intel MBP and I just found out how cheap Windows 10 Pro is. Is there a good guide for setting up Bootcamp so I can play Steam games? I have a fair amount of old games from various sales years ago (id collection, Valve collection, etc) and I figured I might as well actually play them since it looks like it's a lot cheaper than I realized to get Windows going and this will be the last machine I have that will be capable. Currently running Big Sur.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Fire up Boot Camp Assistant and it'll walk you through the process.

Violator
May 15, 2003

wolffenstein posted:

Fire up Boot Camp Assistant and it'll walk you through the process.

Perfect, easier than I expected. Thanks.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Kinda like Big Sur on my 2016. Only thing that sucked was having to shell out for the Little Snitch udpate.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Housh posted:

Kinda like Big Sur on my 2016. Only thing that sucked was having to shell out for the Little Snitch udpate.

I think it might be placebo but everything feels snappier on my Early 2015 MacBook Pro 13". All good so far :shrug:

Violator
May 15, 2003

illcendiary posted:

I think it might be placebo but everything feels snappier on my Early 2015 MacBook Pro 13". All good so far :shrug:

I actually really like how the drag targets are much bigger now since the toolbars are taller. Some things, like the Safari toolbar, feel a little too desaturated but they feel more functional.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
You guys are making me feel weird - usually by now, someone would have found a bug that formats their hard drive when they open Numbers with the mouse on the left side of their keyboard or something.

I can't believe I'm asking this, but should I actually upgrade to an initial build of a macOS release?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

it’s fine other then the internet thing that also nuked catalina

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BTW, for those of you waiting for dosdude1 to release a Big Sur patcher, get ready to be disappointed..

I'm presenting it here because of the popularity of his previous patchers..

dosdude1 on MacRumors posted:

For those of you still wondering: No, unfortunately, I will not be making a Patcher for Big Sur, for the following reasons:

- Achieving full graphics acceleration with a non-Metal GPU has so far been unattainable under Mac OS Big Sur. As such, any machines that have a non-upgradeable, non-Metal GPU (such as 2011 and older MacBook models) will not be able to run Big Sur at a usable level. While I could make a disclaimer about this on my webpage and/or the tool itself, I know from experience that the vast majority of users will ignore such a warning, and then message me asking why their machine is running like complete garbage once installed (the post above mine as a prime example).

- The tool would need to be almost completely re-engineered, due to the completely different installer implementation Apple has done for Big Sur. While this normally wouldn't be a problem for me, it does take quite a lot of time to produce something that looks nice, is user-friendly, and works relatively reliably. Unfortunately at this time, due to other projects and obligations, I don't have quite as much free time as I used to.

- There are at least a few other Patchers developed by other people that work very well on the machines that I would support if I were to make a Patcher of my own (2012/2013 machines, and older models upgradeable to Metal GPUs only). An additional patcher would be redundant, as it would not offer any extra support than what is available in other Patchers.

With all that said, I will most likely make a patcher for the next major version of macOS released in the future. After developing, maintaining, and updating my patchers over the past 4 years, I really just need a bit of a break. I apologize if this is disappointing news to some, but don't worry, there are many other talented developers working on Big Sur patchers, and I can assure you that you won't be let down.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I like the new look, though there's some weirdness with UI elements not rendering that might be due to running it in a VM. I'll definitely upgrade to it when I get around to OpenCore-ing my cMP.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

the_lion posted:

I made a shortcut to sys prefs and put that in my dock instead of the real deal. No red badge! I think I'm running an older version though.

It's stupid and quick enough to work. Thanks friend.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I am still getting errors trying to update to Big Sur. “The requested version of macOS is not available”.

Have there been any fixes for this? It finally worked on one of my computers on launch day so I figured it was all fixed. Tried to update another today and it is still giving the error.

MintFresh
Jun 24, 2020

Safari feels much more smoother and responsive in Big Sur than in Catalina. I had performance problems with Safari when on Catalina so I ended up using Chrome for most of Catalina.

Feels good to be back on Safari due to the significantly better battery life when browsing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

badjohny posted:

I am still getting errors trying to update to Big Sur. “The requested version of macOS is not available”.

Have there been any fixes for this? It finally worked on one of my computers on launch day so I figured it was all fixed. Tried to update another today and it is still giving the error.

it got fixed for me by going to the mac app store and trying to get it through there