Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah definitely they curl up quite a bit or just hang their heads off the sides because reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

actionjackson posted:

Yeah definitely they curl up quite a bit or just hang their heads off the sides because reasons

Neat. And what size crate would y'all recommend?

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

From experience, every bed will be simultaneously too big and too small for a greyhound.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Radiation Cow posted:

From experience, every bed will be simultaneously too big and too small for a greyhound.
This is Sparty taking up our entire queen size bed

And this is sparty after he dragged the cat bed onto his bed and crammed himself into it

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 10, 2020

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
We have the 42 and it's a good size.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

dog

https://twitter.com/fuck_it_all___/status/1326650655541497863

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
why are you not petting that sweet baby

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
One of my partner's mother's greyhounds, Lloyd, jumped off the bed (they both sleep in the bed with her at night as she lives alone now) and caught his claw on something and ripped it straight out. As a result he had aa trip to the vets and while he was well behaved he is feeling sorry for himself

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Kitchner posted:

One of my partner's mother's greyhounds, Lloyd, jumped off the bed (they both sleep in the bed with her at night as she lives alone now) and caught his claw on something and ripped it straight out. As a result he had aa trip to the vets and while he was well behaved he is feeling sorry for himself

Poor clubdog.

Update: we just met our prospective grey this afternoon and she was very nice, very soft, and very, very inquisitive. I don't think I've ever met a greyhound as outgoing and smart as this one seems to be, but maybe some of that will mellow out as she ages? (She just turned two)

I had a food question for y'all: I've heard a lot of folks recommend the costco dogfood but now that I've looked around, I find they have like 10 different varieties. Which type do people here like? We've been steered by the adoption group towards beef or lamb and away from chicken.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
If I were an adoption group and had to feed multiple greyhounds then I could see a lot of value in Costco food, but I’ve been steered toward high protein high omega 3 food like blue Buffalo wilderness. More costly though but you also don’t have to use as much food so it’s a toss up. I’d take my info with a grain of salt.

Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P9XGDG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_L5uSFb1EY3VSN?psc=1

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Akbar posted:

Poor clubdog.

Update: we just met our prospective grey this afternoon and she was very nice, very soft, and very, very inquisitive. I don't think I've ever met a greyhound as outgoing and smart as this one seems to be, but maybe some of that will mellow out as she ages? (She just turned two)

I had a food question for y'all: I've heard a lot of folks recommend the costco dogfood but now that I've looked around, I find they have like 10 different varieties. Which type do people here like? We've been steered by the adoption group towards beef or lamb and away from chicken.

We get the Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain Turkey Meal and Sweet Potato (red bag). I've been getting it shipped instead of going into the store recently-- https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-nature%27s-domain-turkey-meal-and-sweet-potato-dog-food-35-lb..product.100343435.html

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

depends if your dog prefers grain-free or not, Abby is on grain-free taste of the wild, when I first got her I gave her blue buffalo (a grain version) and it didn't sit well with her

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

actionjackson posted:

depends if your dog prefers grain-free or not, Abby is on grain-free taste of the wild, when I first got her I gave her blue buffalo (a grain version) and it didn't sit well with her

How will we be able to tell if a dog prefers grain-free food? Just a lot of gas and foul poops?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Akbar posted:

How will we be able to tell if a dog prefers grain-free food? Just a lot of gas and foul poops?

yeah if she doesn't have firm stools that's a good sign

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Anecdote, but Watson gets the Kirkland blue bag (salmon and sweet potato) and has mostly firm poops and little gas.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

NomNomNom posted:

Anecdote, but Watson gets the Kirkland blue bag (salmon and sweet potato) and has mostly firm poops and little gas.

Watson looks like he's ready for anything, in that outfit! :D

Also, apologies for the lack of comms, in recent weeks. It's been pretty busy here, especially work-wise. News-wise Tazo had his tail jammed in a door by my partner, which created a mess, but he's doing well now.

In any case, here's a dump of Opal sitting, by way of apology for my lack of posts. I'm still not used to it happening, although I probably should be by now! :v:
(Note: Opal doesn't know how to sit on command - she just does it whenever she likes. Often to try and fit into tight yet comfy spaces, next to us...)

Opal at my parents' house. Naturally my parents are soft these days, and don't mind Opal being on the couch. My childhood dog would be turning in his grave, if he discovered this!

Speaking of Opal, she has also rapidly become adept at roaching, since watching Taz do it in front of her, months ago. She likes leaning her legs on walls, people, etc. while she's at it:

Also, it's been a bit warm this week...Opal clearly doesn't agree with heat! :D I feel sorry for her, seeing as summer hasn't even arrived yet

aaaand Opal likes the bed now...a lot...

Additionally, Taz has discovered our single-seat couch, which he somehow finds comfortable... So yeah, now him and Opal like watching each other, from different couches :D

They also share a mutual distaste towards the baby gate we added. They're capable of vaulting over it, although only when they're really desperate to get access to our bed, interestingly.

Taz also made a poo sculpture in the shape of a certain male appendage, in an upright position. I thought it was quite artistic of him, to be honest! I don't think poo-posting is appreciated here though, so I felt it would be wise to refrain from adding the photo to this post :v:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 16, 2020

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
How many people here let their hounds sleep in their room when they sleep? I was not on board with this when we first got ours but then there was an ‘incident’ where someone whined for 45 mins and then chewed on our brand new door :negative:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

How many people here let their hounds sleep in their room when they sleep? I was not on board with this when we first got ours but then there was an ‘incident’ where someone whined for 45 mins and then chewed on our brand new door :negative:

Well, I don't most of the time - although that's mostly due to my partner suffering from dog-related allergies.
We'll let them up on say, Saturday mornings though, so that they can sleep in with us (...which means that they're happy enough to not demand food at 7:30am :v: )

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Red_Fred posted:

We made Cookie (aka "the good dog") sleep on the floor on the dog bed when we first got her because I have (mild) dog allergies and was trying to at least keep my sleeping area sanitized. This persisted for several years, despite her *desperately* wanting to be in bed with us

Within a week of getting sparty and him whining non-stop we gave up and let him in the bed. And it wasn't fair to let him in, so we let cookie in too.

So here I am, in bed with my two dogs and two of three cats and about ready to go to the spare bedroom so I can close the door and actually sleep

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Red_Fred posted:

Mac sleeps in our bedroom, but Tennyson has to sleep in another room. If he's in our room and we make any noise by rolling over in our sleep or whatever, he'll wake up and growl. He wants to be with us though, so we have to block our door or he'll sneak in later. We have to block our door instead of his so he can wander into the hall in the middle of the night and look at us (otherwise he'll whine). Big sweet dummy.

Edit: All of my recent pics of Tennyson are him getting ear rubs

Genovera fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 16, 2020

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Red_Fred posted:

I spend most nights getting gently kicked in the balls because Gannon is having a running dream again.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

We're the owners, dogs don't sleep on the bed! That didn't last 2 hours.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 5, 2022

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Our dogs are quite good about it. The only time Gello gets on the bed is when we're not in it, and Boudicca has never even tried. The closest we've come is Gello whining at 6am because it's her turn.

I do find it funny that the dogs make their own rules. I'm pretty sure if they decided that they want on the bed, we'd cave in an instant.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Lemon sleeps in her crate in my bedroom until 8 in the morning where she goes to her spot on the couch, which definitely isn’t permanently indented and awkward.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Making new friends. It's so nice to have so many dog friendly places to walk. Though we've had to cancel our plans for one hike due to a, baboon troop moving in.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The fawn and white doggo looks a lot like Bonnie :unsmith:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

His name is Blaze and he's a very good boy. He even stole treats out of my pocket, like a sniper.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I like how it looks like one little patch of fawn escaped and made a break for it

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

And how the one patch on his butt perfectly fits the white spot on his back. :kimchi:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah that’s what I meant haha

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

It's been a long month. Reading comprehension is impossible. Need more dog photos to recover.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Radiation Cow posted:

It's been a long month. Reading comprehension is impossible. Need more dog photos to recover.

Ask and ye shall receive!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

A+ blep, fantastic work

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I've mentioned how Abby feels about vacuums before - someone vacuums our hallways every Saturday. This is typical.

https://twitter.com/fuck_it_all___/status/1332007692739686402

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

I've mentioned how Abby feels about vacuums before - someone vacuums our hallways every Saturday. This is typical.

https://twitter.com/fuck_it_all___/status/1332007692739686402

Awww poor baby :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have to admit it's been a bit tough for me with her - I love being able to spend all this time with her of course, but she's continuing to have those small struggles with age. The more physical stuff is joint related (she gets dasaquin which hopefully helps), and then the cognitive dysfunction stuff that she gets Anipryl for. I have to leave her food out all day now, and often she doesn't really notice it unless I put a piece of banana in. However later in the day she tends to find and eat it pretty quickly.

She has also started to have this panting spell right after she "goes to bed" which lasts like 10-15 minutes. It's not like we just went out for a long walk, or that she needs to relieve herself or anything which would usually be the cause, it just comes out of nowhere and then subsides.

Part of it might be that she is still a bit uneasy/unsure/flummoxed about the hard floors.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Fuzz Feets posted:

Ask and ye shall receive!

Aw, I love a good blep! :D

Speaking of tongues, Taz doesn't do it much, but Opal seems to LOVE leaving it hanging! Especially seeing as it's getting warmer, here.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

actionjackson posted:

I have to admit it's been a bit tough for me with her - I love being able to spend all this time with her of course, but she's continuing to have those small struggles with age. The more physical stuff is joint related (she gets dasaquin which hopefully helps), and then the cognitive dysfunction stuff that she gets Anipryl for. I have to leave her food out all day now, and often she doesn't really notice it unless I put a piece of banana in. However later in the day she tends to find and eat it pretty quickly.

She has also started to have this panting spell right after she "goes to bed" which lasts like 10-15 minutes. It's not like we just went out for a long walk, or that she needs to relieve herself or anything which would usually be the cause, it just comes out of nowhere and then subsides.

Part of it might be that she is still a bit uneasy/unsure/flummoxed about the hard floors.

She’s such a sweetheart. Maybe it has to do with her heart rate adjusting for bedtime?

With the food- maybe you can try hand-feeding her if it’s an issue. It might be a nice together activity. :)

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Major Isoor posted:

Aw, I love a good blep! :D

Speaking of tongues, Taz doesn't do it much, but Opal seems to LOVE leaving it hanging! Especially seeing as it's getting warmer, here.

I think your dog is broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

:neckbeard:

So many good dog tongues on this page. Bleps are the best.