Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

poeticoddity posted:

I had good luck using tapioca starch to make a roux for gumbo for someone can't do gluten, so I assume that would also work in this case.

That's what I used when I was doing a paleo diet a couple years ago. I tried potato, corn, arrowroot, and tapioca starch, and the tapioca made the roux that was the closest to a traditional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I am going to be cooking for a gluten free person soon and have never cooked gluten free. Which of the many GF flours would be the best for like tossing on some meat I was going to brown to both brown the meat and thicken the sauce (likely for beef bourguignon in this case)?

Cup 4 Cup works like flour in most things. My wife is celiac and I’ve been cooking for her for 15+ years.

Cup 4 Cup makes a fine roux.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How do I, an American, get chickens like the French have to make coq au vin?

Is it rooster?

If not rooster am I supposed to look for older hens?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A stewing hen or capon's probably your best bet.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Am I missing something or are 16oz Extreme Freeze Reditainers suddenly hard to find

All the ones I see say Extreme Freeze but they have the picture of a regular reditainer

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

A stewing hen or capon's probably your best bet.

$77 from D'Artagnan?

:popeye:

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I am going to be cooking for a gluten free person soon and have never cooked gluten free. Which of the many GF flours would be the best for like tossing on some meat I was going to brown to both brown the meat and thicken the sauce (likely for beef bourguignon in this case)?

Starches like corn starch or tapioca starch are good thickeners, but they can get a little gummy if you're not careful with quantities. I use brown rice flour and it makes a perfectly fine roux, maybe with a little less thickening power than wheat flour but perfectly serviceable. If I was doing a stew or something I'd compensate with more gelatin.

If you make gluten free recipes regularly, brown rice flour, tapioca starch, and xantham gum are basically all you need. You can make a 1-1 flour substitute with 1 1/3 cups brown rice flour and 2/3 cup tapioca starch, and 1/2 - 1 tsp of xantham gum (I'll vary the amount, or completely omit, depending on whether I'm aiming for chewiness like a bread or light and fluffy like pancakes)

Almond meal is the only other thing I buy - when it's ground with skin on really fine it makes a pretty good substitute for breadcrumbs.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 11, 2020

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Is it rooster?

my local mid-quality grocery chain has whole frozen capons for about $6/lb in the "weird frozen meats" section. No idea if they're any good

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Steve Yun posted:

Is it rooster?

Kroger's probably won't have them, but smaller ethnic grocery stores have a bigger chance. Here they're "old fowl" or "gallina grande." But if you can't find one, I don't feel like you're missing much -- they are seriously tough.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
anyone with a nyt cooking account able to copy paste Kenjis recipe for numbing roasted potatoes? gently caress da paywall

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Steve Yun posted:

$77 from D'Artagnan?

I don't know what D'Artagnan is but a capon at Kroger is like twelve bucks.

Chinese stores sometimes have roosters, you'd be most likely to find them around CNY.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

yeah capons at my normal-rear end white person store are like 15bux or so a bird

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

$77 from D'Artagnan?

I love that store but holy poo poo is it expensive.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
TIL that in ancient rome there was a law that forbade fattening hens because of grain rationing and so farmers said "ok fine we'll chop the testicles off of roosters and fatten those. lawyered. :smug: "

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

anyone with a nyt cooking account able to copy paste Kenjis recipe for numbing roasted potatoes? gently caress da paywall

https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

i am certain this exists for other browsers, too

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Is it rooster?

Got any meat coops/CSAs in your area?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I do but I’m too lazy to look them up. Los Angeles is lousy with ethnic markets selling things like frozen raccoons and live turtles so I will check with them

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

What's the deal with airline food chives? I'm seeing them used in pretty much every single youtube recipe. Meanwhile, I think I've seen עירית in a store exactly once, in the exotic health food section. What do they even taste like? Could you replace them with green onion?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sure, the green parts of green onion will approximate okay, though chives are a bit more muted. If you have a very simple recipe, like scrambled eggs, you can taste them, but I think most youtube recipes include them because of aesthetics.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, they're probably just garnish

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Chives can have a bit more funk than green onions as well, but yeah, outside of scrambled eggs you won't really notice.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I used to make bread fairly often and got pretty good results, and then I just got tired of it (long before the pandemic) and didn't do it for a while. I tried again using a recipe I had recorded for a basic crusty bread loaf, but I tried to make a batard this week and it turned out flat and sad and not that flavorful. Here's the recipe I had recorded:

500g flour
330g water
1 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp salt

Kneaded for several minutes in a stand mixer with a dough hook. Slashed and baked at 450F for 25-35 minutes.

The water was lukewarm or so and it was in a house in the low 70s Fahrenheit. I let it rise for about 2 hours before knocking it back, then shaped and let rise for another hour. I know that the time required is variable depending on a bunch of factors, but this has always been about right before; it did definitely rise, but I'm not sure that it doubled in size. The yeast was stored in the refrigerator and was bought during the pandemic. I think that possibly 1 tsp is insufficient yeast for that rise time, but I'm interested in more knowledgeable opinions. I also think it could have used more salt just from a flavor standpoint, but I don't want the salt to interfere with the yeast. I also slashed it, one long slash down the middle, but I forgot to preheat the oven until afterward so it's possible that the slashing caused it to collapse more. Could also have overproved, but given the low amount of yeast I'm a little more skeptical of that. Suggestions for improvement?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is your yeast maybe old and not able to activate?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Is your yeast maybe old and not able to activate?

It's possible, but as I said, it was bought during the pandemic -- probably April, maybe May -- and has been stored in the refrigerator. I was taught that it should last about a year in those circumstances.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

guppy posted:

I used to make bread fairly often and got pretty good results, and then I just got tired of it (long before the pandemic) and didn't do it for a while. I tried again using a recipe I had recorded for a basic crusty bread loaf, but I tried to make a batard this week and it turned out flat and sad and not that flavorful. Here's the recipe I had recorded:

500g flour
330g water
1 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp salt

Kneaded for several minutes in a stand mixer with a dough hook. Slashed and baked at 450F for 25-35 minutes.

The water was lukewarm or so and it was in a house in the low 70s Fahrenheit. I let it rise for about 2 hours before knocking it back, then shaped and let rise for another hour. I know that the time required is variable depending on a bunch of factors, but this has always been about right before; it did definitely rise, but I'm not sure that it doubled in size. The yeast was stored in the refrigerator and was bought during the pandemic. I think that possibly 1 tsp is insufficient yeast for that rise time, but I'm interested in more knowledgeable opinions. I also think it could have used more salt just from a flavor standpoint, but I don't want the salt to interfere with the yeast. I also slashed it, one long slash down the middle, but I forgot to preheat the oven until afterward so it's possible that the slashing caused it to collapse more. Could also have overproved, but given the low amount of yeast I'm a little more skeptical of that. Suggestions for improvement?

That needs more rise time. I have a loaf with about 500g of flour I make regularly and for that quick of a rise time I'd be adding like half a tablespoon of yeast and putting it in my oven with the light on to keep nice & active. I prefer to make it with a half tsp of yeast and let it rise for like 14 hours as I enjoy the flavor more (and also then I don't have to knead it).

You could easily do another half tsp of salt if you wanted, that should put you at approximately 2% flour weight of salt. (10g of salt if you have a scale that's good at low weights.)

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
Is this a good place to ask about doing a candida cleanse or would that be more for YLLS? Apparently my wife is allergic to candida in addition to everything else that they tested for. The doctor recommended specifically targeting candida based on the testing and other symptoms that she's been having.

I looked briefly on here and checked the wiki but didn't see anything. The doctor basically gave her a list of things not to eat, but it would be useful to have recipes and suggestions of ways to make it more likely that she'll have a realistic chance of success.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

effika posted:

That needs more rise time. I have a loaf with about 500g of flour I make regularly and for that quick of a rise time I'd be adding like half a tablespoon of yeast and putting it in my oven with the light on to keep nice & active. I prefer to make it with a half tsp of yeast and let it rise for like 14 hours as I enjoy the flavor more (and also then I don't have to knead it).

You could easily do another half tsp of salt if you wanted, that should put you at approximately 2% flour weight of salt. (10g of salt if you have a scale that's good at low weights.)

Thanks!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Unless she's an end-stage AIDS patient, the systemic candida thing is not well supported by science. Go post in The Goon Doctor about her symptoms and what the doctor is saying.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

guppy posted:

It's possible, but as I said, it was bought during the pandemic -- probably April, maybe May -- and has been stored in the refrigerator. I was taught that it should last about a year in those circumstances.

This is why a lot of recipes tell you to bloom the yeast. It doesn't really do anything for the recipe, but what it does do is make sure the yeast is still alive and active. So I would recommend doing that with old yeast every time.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Are any of the powdered demi glaces any good? I absolutely cba to make it

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've tried several times to make "fake" deep fried wings by baking them in the oven. Most recipes call for a dry rub consisting of equal parts salt, cornstarch and baking powder and then baking on a wire rack for 40-60 minutes at 425F, turning them several times.

These come out tasting fine, and are relatively crispy, but the color is always weird. They come out pure white and never turn golden brown, no matter how long I leave them in the oven. It's not a huge deal but it is a little off-putting. Is there something I'm missing? They're a great alternative to deep frying, but I'd be embarrassed to serve them to someone else.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Lester Shy posted:

It's not a huge deal but it is a little off-putting. Is there something I'm missing? They're a great alternative to deep frying, but I'd be embarrassed to serve them to someone else.

I've always used J Kenji Lopez-Alt's recipe which is just salt and baking powder and it turns out fine and nice and brown and crispy.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

I've always used J Kenji Lopez-Alt's recipe which is just salt and baking powder and it turns out fine and nice and brown and crispy.

same

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yup that truck works well when I make wings in my big green egg

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Bape Culture posted:

Are any of the powdered demi glaces any good? I absolutely cba to make it
I've never made a demi glace out of a packet, so can't speak to them, but I've made gravy using Better Than Bouillon + roux + aromatics and it's passable. If I had to fake a demi in a hurry that's probably the route I'd go.

BtB isn't a powder though, it's kinda a sludge that comes in a jar, and I don't know how widely available it is. It's salty as gently caress (or at least the "normal" versions, haven't tried any of the low sodium varieties) but it's substantially better than any other powdered base I've tried.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey if I wanna brine my turkey to give it more flavor, would the Thomas Keller ad hoc brine probably work?
5 lemons, halved
12 bay leaves
1 bunch (4 ounces) flat-leaf parsley
1 bunch (1 ounce) thyme
1/2 cup clover honey
1 head garlic, halved through the equator
1/4 cup black peppercorns
2 cups (10 ounces) Diamond Crystal kosher salt
2 gallons water

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SubG posted:

BtB isn't a powder though, it's kinda a sludge that comes in a jar, and I don't know how widely available it is. It's salty as gently caress (or at least the "normal" versions, haven't tried any of the low sodium varieties) but it's substantially better than any other powdered base I've tried.

It's pretty widely available. I've seen it at every Kroger-style grocery I've been to, and at Meijer as well (so I've seen it in big retailers in IN, IL, MI, TN, and NM). I've gotten big jars of the low-salt kind at costco recently. I get the veggie stock version, but they do make a chicken and beef version.

The low-sodium stuff is indeed much less salty (duh). Qualitatively, at the recommended dose the broth isn't as salty as I'd make a soup. So if you use that you'll have to adjust the salt level but that's not bad IMO. With the regular version I would typically add less than the recommended because it can be quite salty.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Hey if I wanna brine my turkey to give it more flavor, would the Thomas Keller ad hoc brine probably work?
5 lemons, halved
12 bay leaves
1 bunch (4 ounces) flat-leaf parsley
1 bunch (1 ounce) thyme
1/2 cup clover honey
1 head garlic, halved through the equator
1/4 cup black peppercorns
2 cups (10 ounces) Diamond Crystal kosher salt
2 gallons water

Yeah, that's a pretty solid brine recipe. I wouldn't worry about finding "clover honey" specifically - any nuance of flavor that clover vs. wildflower vs. whatever won't survive the cooking process of the turkey. And honestly at just a 1/2 cup into a 2 gallon batch of brine, I'd say you can sub in sugar if you don't have honey and it'll be about the same.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

prayer group posted:

I was skeptical of it but the traditional French method of seasoning it with potato skins, salt and oil was fantastic for building a good seasoning base. Definitely recommend doing that.

What is this method?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Here's what I have imported into Paprika (although there might be more explanation that didn't get imported):

quote:

Hot and Numbing Stir-Fried New Potatoes
Cook Time: 40 minutes Servings: Yield 4 to 6 servings Source: Cooking.nytimes.com

INGREDIENTS
FOR THE POTATOES:

2 pounds small yellow new potatoes, scrubbed and rinsed

Kosher salt

FOR THE SPICE BLEND:

2 teaspoons red Sichuan peppercorns

1 star anise pod

1 teaspoon fennel seeds

1 teaspoon white peppercorns or 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper

2 teaspoons cumin seeds

2 whole dried hot chiles (such as chile de arból or Japonais) or 1 tablespoon red-pepper flakes

1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste

1 teaspoon granulated sugar

1 teaspoon powdered chicken bouillon (or replace with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon MSG to make the dish vegan)

2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

FOR STIR-FRYING:

¼ cup peanut, rice bran or soybean oil

4 medium garlic cloves, minced

2 scallions, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces

DIRECTIONS
Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cool water by 2 inches. Season heavily with salt. (The water should taste like very salty seawater once the salt has dissolved.) Place over high heat, bring to a boil and cook until there’s no resistance when a knife or cake tester is poked through the largest potato, about 10 minutes after they come to a boil. Drain potatoes and spread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet to air-dry.

While the potatoes cook, make the spice blend: In a small bowl, shake the Sichuan peppercorns and discard any shiny black seeds, twigs or leaf fragments. Add the husks to a dry wok, along with the star anise, fennel seeds, white peppercorns and half the cumin seeds. Toast over medium heat, tossing frequently, until very aromatic, about 2 minutes. Transfer mixture to a small bowl to cool slightly. Return wok to heat and add remaining cumin seeds and the chiles. Toss and stir until very aromatic, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a second small bowl.

When cool, transfer the spice mixture in the first bowl, along with the 2 chiles from the second bowl to an electric spice grinder or a mortar and pestle. Add salt, sugar and chicken bouillon. Grind to a fine powder and return to the empty bowl.

Add the cumin seeds that toasted with the chiles to the spice grinder or the mortar (no need to clean it out) and pound or pulse until very coarsely ground. (There should be large, distinct pieces of cumin seeds.) Add half-ground cumin and the sesame seeds to the rest of the spice mixture and stir to incorporate.

Stir-fry the potatoes: When potatoes are dry, heat 3 tablespoons oil in the wok over high heat until shimmering. Add potatoes and cook, stirring and tossing frequently, until browned in spots, about 4 minutes.

Clear a small space in the center of the wok and add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to it. Immediately add the garlic, scallions and spice mixture to the oil and stir until aromatic, about 15 seconds. Toss everything until the potatoes are thoroughly coated in spices, about 15 seconds. Season to taste with more salt as desired. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.