Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
To be a bit more serious and productive, its okay for a Europeanish fantasy world to be Not 1 for 1 with assumptions that the culture should be all white people, there are people in Europe who have been there over millennia who have varied skin complexions as well. The Duscurian - Fergus relationship is also particularly a solid parallel with like settler colonialism and national oppression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Rimusutera posted:

Being confused by people with varied skin tones and multiple distinct ethnic groups living together on a continent is... something.

Sometimes characters comment on it and other times they do not not. Everybody gives Cyril poo poo for being Almyran and gives Dedue poo poo for being from Duscur, but Claude's lineage flies under the radar despite nobody in Fodlan proper having darker skin tones and nobody commenting on Hapi is what tripped me up; it seems very selective in how it treats race.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Ehhhh, race isn't synonymous with skin tone, and even within a single ethnic group there's plenty of room for variation. That the two are so strongly associated irl is largely a consequence of the massive scale of colonialism. Nothing in Fodlan comes close to comparing, so it's not necessarily surprising that nobody really gives a poo poo about skin tone on its own.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I think everyone's behavior towards Cyril is pretty obviously understood in the context that people know he's from Almyra and people talk about it, and he doesn't deny it either. Claude doesn't exactly run around being open about his heritage, which wouldn't exactly give people license to talk openly about speculating he's from there. There's also a couple of other characters beside Catharine with dark complexions compared to the Very Pale that's standard, such as Lonato and Gwendel, and I'd argue Judith.

The game's writing does use race selectively yes, but I think it sets itself up with enough ethnic ambiguity with some characters that you're not supposed to assume everyone in Fodlan is the same shade of pale, and to not assume the characters in the setting have necessarily the same assumptions about ethnicity and skin as the player might. But I'd probably admit here that it doesn't go far enough with this ambiguity especially since you mostly deal with the playable characters/main cast regularly and the game recycles portraits for lots of NPCs that are all the same kind of white, so this might be missed.

I'd also rule out the Class dynamic being reflective of whose tanned or not since those default NPCs don't follow this, even for commoners.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 15, 2020

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Most NPCs don't even get portraits with the correct hair color. Some don't even have the right hair style either.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It's a bit weird how many hair colours the main cast has and how none of the NPCs really get that wild. I wonder if Holst has neon pink hair, and I wonder if that's why he's so powerful.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

It's a bit weird how many hair colours the main cast has and how none of the NPCs really get that wild. I wonder if Holst has neon pink hair, and I wonder if that's why he's so powerful.

Bizarrely the cutscene students do get the rainbow.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Deltasquid posted:

It's a crime that we never get to see Holst, and definitely he also has pink hair and probably a pink beard too, and is burly as gently caress

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

McTimmy posted:

Bizarrely the cutscene students do get the rainbow.

Oh my god I would kill to play as the kid with the blonde punch perm from the dance cutscene

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I also find it kind of funny that the Lions' hair is downright mundane compared to the rest of the cast. Shame about Dedue and Ashe's premature gray, though.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I just beat the game for the first time (Verdant Wind) and I was really pulled into it. Played as FemByleth and really enjoyed getting to see the students grow into themselves, both emotionally through the support convos and physically through the time jump. I’m playing through the Edelgard plot this time. Hoping I’m not disappointed, since Claude was so complex. I was already planning on doing her line next, but then Chapter 11 happened and that made me even more want to see how it pans out.

I managed to recruit everyone (possible) which was really nice. I was upset you can get locked out of conversation options, specifically with Rhea, but also with the DLC kids. Speaking of, the DLC was much harder than the rest of the game for me, though part of that was not being able to grind levels. I guess it fits in story wise in chapter 10, but I played it in 11 and then didn’t have enough time to advance the support. Making sure to get them early in my new run.

It seemed like they were beating me over the head with the identities of Seteth/Flayn, and the heritage of Claude, without actually saying it, though part of that is likely making sure I watched every support convo possible.

Rafael is the best. 1. Training. 2. Eating. 3. Providing for sister. Not necessarily in that order.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Cattail Prophet posted:

I also find it kind of funny that the Lions' hair is downright mundane compared to the rest of the cast. Shame about Dedue and Ashe's premature gray, though.

I enjoy the Golden Deer: pink, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, white... and brown.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

eating only apples posted:

It's a crime that we never get to see Holst, and definitely he also has pink hair and probably a pink beard too, and is burly as gently caress

That's my character in Daemon X Machina

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

https://twitter.com/Akinomakinomin1/status/1327606259940397057?s=20

Dedue's smile in this support cracks me up.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
It would’ve been so sweet if Holst had joined as a War Master in, like, chapter 21 of Verdant Wind.

Judith too, after chapter 16.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Zoran posted:

It would’ve been so sweet if Holst had joined as a War Master in, like, chapter 21 of Verdant Wind.

Judith too, after chapter 16.

The way they kept referring to Holst, but never showing him, even having him get sick from eating a bad mushroom, made me think that it was a very purposeful decision to leave him to the player's imagination. No matter how they had portrayed him, he couldn't have been as tough and invincible as we all imagine him to be from never actually seeing him.

Crimson Flower and Azure Moon get their own special units, so they definitely should have made Judith playable. And then maybe we could have S supported her with Balthus for the true happy ending.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Inu posted:

The way they kept referring to Holst, but never showing him, even having him get sick from eating a bad mushroom, made me think that it was a very purposeful decision to leave him to the player's imagination. No matter how they had portrayed him, he couldn't have been as tough and invincible as we all imagine him to be from never actually seeing him.

Crimson Flower and Azure Moon get their own special units, so they definitely should have made Judith playable. And then maybe we could have S supported her with Balthus for the true happy ending.

Milf chasers are doomed to fail.

There's a bunch of legendary fighters I wanted to see that we never get to (Holst, Count Bergliez, Petra's Grandfather, Glenn, Tiana von Riegen), but Holst is definitely the one the game focuses on the most.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

AlternateNu posted:

Milf chasers are doomed to fail.

Ferdinand ends up perfectly happy with Manuela, thank you very much

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

If only that were me :smith:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Deltasquid posted:

I think you may be misinterpreting who's chasing whom in that relationship.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

I think you may be misinterpreting who's chasing whom in that relationship.

No, I'm pretty sure that Ferdi is the one chasing Manuela right from the get go. Their C support opens with him writing poetry about her, and moves on to talking about how tongue-tied he was when he first saw her and only really escalates from there. At no point does she chase him, but rather she spends most of the string reminiscing over her glory days and how she's too old now, while he keeps saying that no, she's still amazing and beautiful.

C Support

quote:

Ferdinand: I would not dream of stopping now. This is my golden opportunity!
Manuela: Pardon me?
Ferdinand: We are finally alone. Just the two of us.
Manuela: Why...yes. We are, aren't we?
Ferdinand:You see, Manuela, I have long admired you.
Manuela: Is that a fact?
Ferdinand: I saw you perform countless times while you were with the opera company.
Manuela: (laughs) I see. So, what did you think?
Ferdinand: The figure you cut, that heartbreaking voice... I was mesmerized. That is why I am tongue-tied. I am nervous about speaking to you alone, after idolizing you for so long.

B Support

quote:

Manuela: Hmm... Let's see... Has to be here somewhere...
Ferdinand: Oh, my princess! Pray tell, are you seeking a book?
Manuela: Ferdinand... You should probably settle down a little with the "princess" talk. Just speak to me normally. My "princess" days are long gone.
Ferdinand: I could not disagree more! To me, you will always be that dazzling songstress, that veritable princess of the opera. From ages five to eleven, I never missed a single one of your performances. Seeing you on stage was like glimpsing heaven. I was overcome with bliss.
Manuela: You're going a little overboard. And I... I think I may have something in my eye.
Ferdinand: An elegant coalescence of beautiful song and frenetic swordplay. That was the most memorable aspect for me. Onstage, weapon in hand, letting your ballad soar to the heavens... Honestly, the first time I held a sword, it was not to train. I was trying to do your sword dance.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Oh yes, it's absolutely Ferdinand seeing his chance and going for it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Inu posted:

According to interviews yeah, that’s pretty much the why Holst never makes an ingame appearance; the devs said that if every super badass in the world doesn’t appear then it makes the story feel more natural.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Ferdinand/Manuela's support gives intense gay theatre kid ready to bone Kristin Chenoweth vibes.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tired Moritz posted:

Ferdinand/Manuela's support gives intense gay theatre kid ready to bone Kristin Chenoweth vibes.

Yeah I never felt like he was hitting on her. He's just geeking out as only a fan can, while she's hoping he does hit on her. Like if anything it totally helps sell the Ferdinand is trans fan theory. :v:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I didn't really "get" trans Ferdinand for a while, cuz FE has had no shortage of long haired dudes, but then I remembered his part two advice box note where he's like "Yeah everyone keeps asking about the hair, but I swear I never deliberately planned to grow it out, it just kinda happened lol:v:" and yeah, that's an eggy as gently caress mood right there.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I just saw this tweet and thought of this thread

https://twitter.com/ghostturnips/status/1327169346154627072

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Attaching "racist" to "horse girl" is unnecessary and a slight against Marianne. :colbert:

Eimi posted:

Yeah I never felt like he was hitting on her. He's just geeking out as only a fan can, while she's hoping he does hit on her. Like if anything it totally helps sell the Ferdinand is trans fan theory. :v:

Bingo. Just because Ferdie geeks out over her doesn't mean he's the one taking the lead in the relationship. She's pretty obviously humoring him (even if her reactions to his doting are legit) and hoping it leads somewhere. Besides, the two canon relationships for Ferdinand are either Dorothea or Constance.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 16, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

AlternateNu posted:

Attaching "racist" to "horse girl" is unnecessary and a slight against Marianne. :colbert:

nah they added "racist" specifically to differentiate her from the other horse girls in the game (Marianne and Ferdinand)

I actually really like Ingrid but it's really easy to make jokes about her

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Actually I changed my mind, Manuela is Britney Spears and the song Ferdinand keeps singing is Toxic.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Besides, the two canon relationships for Ferdinand are either Dorothea or Constance.

Hubert is right there

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

AlternateNu posted:

Besides, the two canon relationships for Ferdinand are either Dorothea or Constance.

this is hubert erasure and i will not stand for it!

E: Also Manuela should be recognized because if she and Ferdie get together on Crimson Flower, she is the one who ends up becoming the next prime minister.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 16, 2020

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Sudden Javelin posted:

Hubert is right there

Hubert will 100% pine for Edelgard until either she marries Bylethsomeone else or he dies. Eddie goes on and on about ~her precious teacher~ but Hubert is the only one there for her no matter what route.

Edelgard: Oh woe is me, I am alone on this path of mine! If only My Teacher would reach out his/her hand to me, I would not be alone!
Hubert: *glares at Byleth and rolls yet another corpse out of Edelgard's way*

#hubertdeservesbetter

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Huberts story is just flat out better if he isnt in love with El that way. So I ignore that support drat it. :colbert:

Also him and Bernie are the cutest pair. Shes the one person hes nice to right out of the gate and they are just adorable. Also in their ending Bernie not only cures her agoraphobia but she voluntarily wanders around Fodlan, presumably to work on her plant guide.

Also not mentioned for Ferdie, Marianne. They are both horse girls and their supports together really touched me so I love them together.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Every Ferdie support is precious, though I will admit to also being particularly touched by his Marianne support.

Bernie/Hubert is also sweet, but I can’t go back after seeing her support with Jeritza which is just bafflingly wholesome given the characters involved.

Agreed that the Bert is better if his devotion to Eddy is entirely platonic. I chose to read their A support as her making the first move and him deciding it’s a shot he’s willing to take.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Melomane Mallet posted:

Hubert will 100% pine for Edelgard until either she marries Bylethsomeone else or he dies. Eddie goes on and on about ~her precious teacher~ but Hubert is the only one there for her no matter what route.

Edelgard: Oh woe is me, I am alone on this path of mine! If only My Teacher would reach out his/her hand to me, I would not be alone!
Hubert: *glares at Byleth and rolls yet another corpse out of Edelgard's way*

#hubertdeservesbetter

Hubert gives Byleth Edelgard's favorite gift (that only she gets double supports from) as a quest reward after the timeskip. He's 100% a Byleth/Edelgard shipper.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 16, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Shinji117 posted:

Hubert gives Byleth a bunch of Edelgard's favorite gifts as quest rewards after the timeskip. He's 100% a Byleth/Edelgard shipper.

I never noticed this detail, that's amazing. :allears:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Eimi posted:

Huberts story is just flat out better if he isnt in love with El that way. So I ignore that support drat it. :colbert:

Also him and Bernie are the cutest pair. Shes the one person hes nice to right out of the gate and they are just adorable. Also in their ending Bernie not only cures her agoraphobia but she voluntarily wanders around Fodlan, presumably to work on her plant guide.

Also not mentioned for Ferdie, Marianne. They are both horse girls and their supports together really touched me so I love them together.

Romantic or not, Edelgard is the #1 force driving Hubert's life and motivation. Any other relationship for him will be a distant second, at best.

Bernie also can get over her issues if she's with Raphael! And I would have absolutely married Hubert if I"d been playing CF with F!Byleth.

I got Ferdie/Marianne my first playthrough. He's just so earnest about how embarrassing his love for his wife is. :3:

Shinji117 posted:

Hubert gives Byleth a bunch of Edelgard's favorite gifts as quest rewards after the timeskip. He's 100% a Byleth/Edelgard shipper.

I've only played CF once, so had no opportunity to notice this but, it makes sense. Byleth is the #1 person in Edelgard's life. Edelgard is the #1 person in Hubert's life. Naturally, Hubert would want to help his #1 get with her #1.

Melomane Mallet fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 16, 2020

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Eimi posted:

I never noticed this detail, that's amazing. :allears:

Hubert to Byleth: "As a reward, take this Monarch Studies Book. I'm sure you'll find some use for it"
Byleth: "I'm not a monarch, so who would like this?"
(Edelgard is literally the only character in the game to want a book focusing on studying governments)

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I gave that book to Lorenz and I'm pretty sure he loved it!

Eimi posted:

What? I have never heard of this theory and I never read Ferdinand as anything but the straightest of cishet dudes. I find it a whole less plausible than Ferdie being a groupie who wants to shower his idol with attention in the most over-the-top way possible to humor her/signal his interest in her.

Look at his first talk with Constance too: he's obviously still got some manner of feelings for her from back when they knew each other and comes out of the gate with the most poetic and hamfisted of lines.