Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

I have a Cyclops 10k in my bike and last halloween I was riding it slowly through the Castro while dressed up as Duke Caboom and a guy jumped out in front of me and started yelling that my headlight was illegal and blinding everyone and he was going to go the the police with my license number and why are you such an rear end in a top hat with an illegal headlight. His drunk wife had to pull him away and tell him to let it go.

A+ product overall

Yeah, this is all I need to decide to yank the cheap HID off my bike and put a Cyclops in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The headlight on my Honda CBF125 2014 is completely useless. I'm selling the bike though soon, so I am not bothering to upgrade it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The headlights on my FZ09 are pretty useless too but they're already LED so I can't just swap a bulb. Solution: don't ride it at night! (I have some baja designs squadrons I need to get mounted to the forks)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah, this is all I need to decide to yank the cheap HID off my bike and put a Cyclops in.

I'm feeling the same. I really love the morimoto modular LED on the Hawk, but it's absolutely worthless at night. Being able to see at night is a big deal for me, and I've spent all year trying to find an elegant way to add aux led pods or whatever with no success. It's not a problem in the summer when I'm day riding, but I get caught in the dark a lot each winter.

It has just now occurred to me that I need to just put the reflector back in with my old cyclops 10k and be done with it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

I'm feeling the same. I really love the morimoto modular LED on the Hawk, but it's absolutely worthless at night. Being able to see at night is a big deal for me, and I've spent all year trying to find an elegant way to add aux led pods or whatever with no success. It's not a problem in the summer when I'm day riding, but I get caught in the dark a lot each winter.

It has just now occurred to me that I need to just put the reflector back in with my old cyclops 10k and be done with it.

Did you have one in the stock DR housing? If so, how well did it work?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It worked fine in the DR. I find they cyclops 10k plays really nicely with all reflectors, where previous versions were hit or miss. The real joy of the 10k is the neutral white color temperature.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's the last few days of riding weather where I live (barring any other chinooks) so I'm riding to/from work. Went and picked up a flat of cat food at lunch.

Going to add looking at the idiot light for high coolant temp to my hit list for the winter. It's supposed to come on when I turn the key to "on", then shut off when I start the engine (unless the coolant is actually too hot). But, sometimes it's not coming on. Turning the steering head to one lock or the other has made it relight, but not consistently, so it's probably just a bad connection. I'll have to take the instrument panel apart to see how that all works again.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Neglected my chain adjustment for a while and it got pretty slappy; added 2/6 of a turn today and it's back in spec, 15 minute job. I keep forgetting how easy it is.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

Neglected my chain adjustment for a while and it got pretty slappy; added 2/6 of a turn today and it's back in spec, 15 minute job. I keep forgetting how easy it is.

I did the same!

My brain can’t seem to reason with how such a small adjustment can account for multiple centimetres of slack.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Worked on a Piaggio while drinking a Sanpellegrino, mamma mia :italy:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Worked on a Piaggio while drinking a Sanpellegrino, mamma mia :italy:

limonata is best, but either way :hellyeah:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Put it away in my folks' garage for the winter, since I don't have one of thems. See you soon, buddy.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

put some new stinkos on it for my MABDR trip

high fender will go back on before I leave as I do expect a bit of mud :D

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Last night, quick wash after work, racing the setting sun. My landlord had put away their garden hose so I had to use mine, which only made it about 75% of the way to the front of the yard. So I had to rinse it off from about 10ft away using my thumb on the end of the hose as a makeshift nozzle lol. Then rode up to Collective Arts to grab some beer.

Today, took advantage of the Remembrance Day holiday to fill up and ride over to the storage place. See ya in April!

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

right arm posted:

limonata is best, but either way :hellyeah:

They made it sugar free here (to avoid tax?) And now it tastes like poisoned arseholes

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Shelvocke posted:

They made it sugar free here (to avoid tax?) And now it tastes like poisoned arseholes

that's some Bull poo poo

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Back in the before times, but after the great san pelligrino poisoning, going to small sandwich shops and finding a neglected can of full-sugar was always a treat.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Removed the mouse hotel from my air box, replaced what looks like the original filter that should’ve been changed 15k miles ago, and wired up some heated grips for winter riding.

Any tips on preventing rodents from taking up residence in the future? Covering the inlet to the air box with a small piece of wire mesh is the only thing that comes to mind.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

moxieman posted:

Removed the mouse hotel from my air box, replaced what looks like the original filter that should’ve been changed 15k miles ago, and wired up some heated grips for winter riding.

Any tips on preventing rodents from taking up residence in the future? Covering the inlet to the air box with a small piece of wire mesh is the only thing that comes to mind.

Spray the interior of the airbox with something they don't like the smell of. Oddly enough Simple Green has worked for me in the past, but so has putting a mothball in the airbox if there's no way for it to roll somewhere it shouldn't go.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've seen bars of dial soap and nightlights work to varying degrees.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
Had a lovely SF Bay Area electric group ride on Saturday. This is a shot of my posse as we rode up. WE RIDE TOGETHER. WE CHARGE TOGETHER. BAD BOYS FOR LIFE.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Two weeks ago I posted that I got a 2005 Goldwing for 1$. It has been sitting idle for the past 3 years so it is very much a winter project to get it back up and running.

Here next to my MT-10 and the wife's Baby Wing (Grom).

First point of order is the PO lost the keys during the move. I'm in South Korea and there aren't many Honda dealers here, and those that are, won't work on us spec bikes or wanted to charge 400 to replace all the locks and ignition.

So nuts to that, ordered some files and blanks.

I was able to lockpick the gas cap cover flap and remove, then disassemble the lock:

Oh god what did I get into

3 hours of filing later...

And i have a functioning key!

Now to order a new battery because this one is completely donezo.

nullscan fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 17, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I had to lock pick a gas cap this year after breaking the only key, but I went the easy way out and swapped the cap with a cheap ebay replacement with new keys + parts for the gas cap, ignition cylinder (broken key inside), and rear seat lock. Making a key seems like a much better idea other than I've never even looked into making one and it may be more effort than just swapping the parts.

But good job on the new key.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Good work, that's very impressive and totally a step I would not have thought of doing myself and would have swallowed my pride and thrown $400 at the Honda people to fix it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dear LockpickingLawyer, I love your YouTube channel, please tell Bosnian Bill I said hi.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

loaded all the bags up!

working a half day, then off to my first night in the daniel boone national forest in kentucky for some dispersed camping. tomorrow I start the actual MABDR

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

right arm posted:

loaded all the bags up!

working a half day, then off to my first night in the daniel boone national forest in kentucky for some dispersed camping. tomorrow I start the actual MABDR

Gonna be cold tonight, hope you've got a good sleeping bag + thermals

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

Gonna be cold tonight, hope you've got a good sleeping bag + thermals

lol ya I learned my lesson in january hammock camping at meriwether lewis off the trace in a 30° bag when it got down to 19° overnight :shudder:

my micheladas made a lovely breakfast slushie though :D

since then I smartened up and got a 0° down bag which also packs far smaller, so I expect I'll be quite comfy tonight. helmet has a heated visor too and I typically don't bust out the real heated gear (vest, gloves, socks, etc) til it gets below 20°

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

right arm posted:

lol ya I learned my lesson in january hammock camping at meriwether lewis off the trace in a 30° bag when it got down to 19° overnight :shudder:

my micheladas made a lovely breakfast slushie though :D

since then I smartened up and got a 0° down bag which also packs far smaller, so I expect I'll be quite comfy tonight. helmet has a heated visor too and I typically don't bust out the real heated gear (vest, gloves, socks, etc) til it gets below 20°

Lol

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

you don't say

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ice warning light on a motorcycle, the latest innovation from Redundant Developments inc.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lol fr

always makes me chuckle in the morning though as my whole seat is frozen too

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Redundant or not it does look badass displaying the warning while covered in ice crystals.

*hal voice* Its already too late, dave

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:nattyburn:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Incredible.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

oil temperature - 32f

at what temp do you need a block heater for a car? Cold for me is in the 40s so it's not like I have a lot of experience with actual cold

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A new car with synthetic oil and a modern electrical system? You don’t really. I started my car just fine in -20 F weather last February.

It tends to be the older stuff that needs it in my experience

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, block heaters are more necessary for vehicles where you have

- old fashioned dinosaur oils that get a lot thicker in the cold
- carburetors that can't easily accommodate for lack of fuel vaporization at low temperatures
- flooded batteries that lose current capacity as temperature goes down

When you have synthetic oil, fuel injection, and AGM or lithium batteries, the cold isn't really a problem.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Oh nice, I always figured that was still a thing in more northern places. Not to sound too Californian, but when I first went to Minnesota in January during the 2014 polar vortex, I just brought a wool sport coat for a jacket. It was -10 before factoring in the wind chill. I should know better as I used to snowboard every year, but haven't in forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

Oh nice, I always figured that was still a thing in more northern places. Not to sound too Californian, but when I first went to Minnesota in January during the 2014 polar vortex, I just brought a wool sport coat for a jacket. It was -10 before factoring in the wind chill. I should know better as I used to snowboard every year, but haven't in forever.

Block heaters are very much still a thing in northern places. It's not like someone snapped their fingers and every vehicle on the road suddenly started using full synthetic ester oils and had an AGM battery dropped into it.

Sagebrush, my experience with lithium batteries in the cold is that they don't function nearly as well as they do at warmer temps. I'm not up to date on whatever Tesla and other electric vehicle mfg'ers do to make sure their products still work in the cold, but I imagine it'd have to involve heaters of some sort and setting an expectation of vastly reduced range.