Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

genuinely thought you meant the Pieminster pie company, and not johnson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Tragic that he has to self isolate when all he wants to be doing is answering questions about Cummings.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Probably not, because it's not really the point of the show - nobody's threatening to actually dump celebs on a desert island with just a wind-up gramophone (although give reality TV a few years...), it's just an interesting interview format that, when not being done by empty ciphers that spring fully-formed from a focus group, lets people talk about what's important to them through the medium of the music that defines important points in their life.

That's what makes the choice of 3 Lions so hilariously telling. As an actual football fan, and one in his early 20s in 1996, 3 Lions has a massive resonance to me of that time, but it *isn't* the tune I - or I suspect any football fan - would use to represent it because it's not a personal thing. It's at best the equivalent of Alan Partridge claiming his favourite Beatles album is "The Best of The Beatles", a sign that he very fundamentally doesn't understand the idea of emotional ties to a particular time and place. At worst - and it's definitely this one - it's proof that he and a bunch of the mutants who surround him who were all way too busy in the nineties backstabbing in student politics to even notice a tournament is happening just picked a song that they *thought* would appeal to their mythical Red Wall. "Yeah, football, that's what they all like, isn't it?"

FWIW the song that has the strongest resonance for me that time is Born Slippy - I swear every memory I have of that tournament has that song playing in the background. Now obviously that's still a pretty mainstream choice but even though I literally sang "It's coming home" at Wembley for the Scotland match it's still the song I remember blasting out in the pub when me and my mates got home from the stadium, and just that very first chord is enough to instantly put me back in that time and place. 3 Lions is too spread out across my memories, good and ill, of the entire late 90s - Born Slippy, like I say, instantly puts me in that summer.

you're acting like like his pick is an attack on you.
the man plays football regularly and is allowed to have different taste (even if it is objectively a poo poo tune). this isn't Cameron forgetting what team he said he supported.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Looke posted:

The Pieminster is having to self isolate again lol

the real reason for Cumming's running out of Downing St again?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cerv posted:

you're acting like like his pick is an attack on you.
the man plays football regularly and is allowed to have different taste (even if it is objectively a poo poo tune). this isn't Cameron forgetting what team he said he supported.

You could tell me he was on the terraces with Cass Pennant and 3 Lions would *still* be a poo poo inauthentic "Oh look how in touch with the proles I am" choice. This isn't a politics thing, it's a "I've been a lifelong football supporter since it was invented in 1992" thing.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Interesting thing about this Cummings situation is the role of Carrie Symonds. Both the popbitch angle and the more conventional reporting show her as at a key architect of Cummings' downfall.
If true that's a huge feat. Engineering for Boris a choice between two people, only one of whom might let him gently caress them as a reward.
But why would she bother in the first place? What would be her personal interest in ousting Boris' grand vizier, especially in light of the rumours about a violinist and how she and Boris are not seen together much?
No interest, except that Cummings is a rival to her influence. I think it's fair to say Boris likes to think with his dick, and Carrie knows how to lead him by it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Endjinneer posted:

Interesting thing about this Cummings situation is the role of Carrie Symonds. Both the popbitch angle and the more conventional reporting show her as at a key architect of Cummings' downfall.
If true that's a huge feat. Engineering for Boris a choice between two people, only one of whom might let him gently caress them as a reward.
But why would she bother in the first place? What would be her personal interest in ousting Boris' grand vizier, especially in light of the rumours about a violinist and how she and Boris are not seen together much?
No interest, except that Cummings is a rival to her influence. I think it's fair to say Boris likes to think with his dick, and Carrie knows how to lead him by it.

She's not some ingenue sucked into this world, she was literally born into it. Her parents were journalists, she was working at CCHQ straight out of uni (and - ugh - first met Johnson when she was 21 and he was 45). She's as much of a political figure as any of the SPADs and other remora clinging to the upper echelons of power.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Endjinneer posted:

If I was being unkind I would say - you can't be first lady if your fella is no longer first man.

Maybe she really does love him, for all his known faults, and wants the best for him and her party.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

Brought Quavers for my lunch today. They're... alright. No strong feelings either way.
Speaking of the Frea Speech crowd (but not Quavers), I have a question for Borrovan or other lawyer/legal theory goons.

So, it's definitely illegal for me to encourage a person to commit a crime, and depending on how far I go along with that and how far they go in committing it I could be done for anything from inchoate offences like encouraging or assisting an offence believing it will be committed right up to joint enterprise, right?

And there are some things that are not offences, such as suicide, that I can still be charged with an offence for encouraging or assisting.

So does that also apply to self harm? That certainly seems like the sort of case where encouraging someone to do it maliciously would be in the same spirit as the above (but also where you'd want protections for professionals attempting harm reduction). I guess you could throw the MCA at them if they were doing it online but that's not really in the same spirit, and also free speech warriors hate the MCA in a way that they don't hate all the others.

And does any similar statute or precedent apply to communicating harmful things in a veiled way, for example if I said "hey if you mix bleach and hydrochloric acid you get cool sparkles, but you have to look real close" to a wide audience without direction, where there's obvious acting with either recklessness or deliberate intent to harm but for no specific person?

I'm just thinking out loud here because all the anti-vaxxers are going full frees peach over alleged suppression of their bad ideas and there's obviously cases where speech that can cause physical harm to a person is criminalized, whether that's "yeah kick his loving head in, keep going" or advertising tobacco.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Endjinneer posted:

I think Cummings walking was incidental, Carrie blocked Cain getting a promotion because by all accounts he's a real poo poo and it led to Dom going too.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

genuinely thought you meant the Pieminster pie company, and not johnson

Jonathan pie?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

notaspy posted:

If I was being unkind I would say - you can't be first lady if your fella is no longer first man.

Maybe she really does love him, for all his known faults, and wants the best for him and her party.

What better way to be the classic power behind the throne than to have Boris by his lliteral short and curlies?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You could tell me he was on the terraces with Cass Pennant and 3 Lions would *still* be a poo poo inauthentic "Oh look how in touch with the proles I am" choice. This isn't a politics thing, it's a "I've been a lifelong football supporter since it was invented in 1992" thing.

I mean, yeah it's a naff choice for various reasons and is a painfully obvious and downright cringey bit of political signalling.

But people here getting all knotted up about the lack of authenticity in starmer's answers (and not just you twisto, but the word kinda nails what other people are implying) are missing the point that desert Island discs isn't a music show, it's an interview.

And not just any interview, but one on a popular light entertainment programme that will reach an audience well beyond those who listen to Today, one that will likely generate some easy human interest coverage elsewhere, one where the interviewee frames the scope of the questions and is given the opportunity to talk freely about their life story and their "journey." Treating it as anything other a PR exercise to introduce yourself to voters would be completely idiotic for any politician and huge missed opportunity and tactical error.

I mean, yeah, there's more sophisticated and interesting ways of using that opportunity than picking 3 lions, but it's not a bad choice in context, and its cynicism and cringeness is almost certainly not readily apparent to 99.99% of people

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Cerv posted:

the real reason for Cumming's running out of Downing St again?

Looking forward to seeing Cummings at Barnard castle again.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If Starmer had picked World In Motion I could respect him

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

HopperUK posted:

The main reason I prevaricate when asked about music, especially if the person asking is someone that obviously knows a lot about music, is that it's often about to become some dumbass gatekeeping thing.

same. it's still somewhat socially acceptable to get weirdly aggressive about music (and football teams, for that matter) in casual conversation in a way that we all would definitely look down upon if it was video games, literature, fine art, etc.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Let's be honest, Three Lions isn't the best Ian Broudie penned football related song because that will always be The Life Of Riley

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
going to record a single that's just a 2 hour track of useful survival tips for desert islands and get top choice every week

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Niric posted:

I mean, yeah it's a naff choice for various reasons and is a painfully obvious and downright cringey bit of political signalling.

But people here getting all knotted up about the lack of authenticity in starmer's answers (and not just you twisto, but the word kinda nails what other people are implying) are missing the point that desert Island discs isn't a music show, it's an interview.

And not just any interview, but one on a popular light entertainment programme that will reach an audience well beyond those who listen to Today, one that will likely generate some easy human interest coverage elsewhere, one where the interviewee frames the scope of the questions and is given the opportunity to talk freely about their life story and their "journey." Treating it as anything other a PR exercise to introduce yourself to voters would be completely idiotic for any politician and huge missed opportunity and tactical error.

I mean, yeah, there's more sophisticated and interesting ways of using that opportunity than picking 3 lions, but it's not a bad choice in context, and its cynicism and cringeness is almost certainly not readily apparent to 99.99% of people

Agreed. It’s a political list from a politician.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Niric posted:

Yes but it's apparent to me so I'll complain about it.

Also Desert Island Discs should be a show about music & not an interview show, & instead of songs it should be albums & they should have to play the whole album. And the only guest should be me.

There, I've just improved Radio4's output by 10000%. Can't wait to go from Wolf Eyes (their most listenable record Black Wing Over The Sand because I'm a casual) right into The Archers.

Lt. Danger posted:

same. it's still somewhat socially acceptable to get weirdly aggressive about music (and football teams, for that matter) in casual conversation in a way that we all would definitely look down upon if it was video games, literature, fine art, etc.

People seem to confuse passion for aggression in this thread.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My wife insists I must have some kind of ADHD as if I'm reading text or concentrating on words in a song all other communication just turns into white noise. If she's talking to me and I start to read a word in something accidentally (even like the brand name on the bottom of the TV) my brain just makes her sound like the Charlie brown teacher and its actively painful to tune it back in.

It's why I can't listen to music with lyrics as it's usually not interesting enough to 'only' listen to but completely ruins all other things I'm trying to do if it's language based.

This would be something I would go see a doc about along with loads of other minor 'I'm nearly 40 and poo poo is kinda slowly breaking but not majorly' health issues...but wellp. Covid! Not worth risking killing the love of my life for.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that an ADD thing? I thought it was just how everyone worked.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

forkboy84 posted:

People seem to confuse passion for aggression in this thread.

I think I know my own experience better than you, comrade

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobstar posted:

I don't comprehend the idea of not liking/getting/needing music, since it's so central to me. But I don't harangue those people, since that's how I feel about food. And foodies who can't stand non-foodies are annoying.

Also this is me, so vocals vs instrumental isn't such a problem

Half the music I listen to is in, like, Occitan, Middle High German or Anglo-Saxon so hard same.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Mebh posted:

...if I'm reading text or concentrating on words in a song all other communication just turns into white noise...

Me too.

I can listen to music and do a puzzle game simultaneously, but I would have to stop to listen to anyone speaking.

I can assemble Lego while listening to a podcast, so whatever part of my brain that uses is different enough to function properly.

If I see text anywhere I can't stop myself from reading the whole thing.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Rumda posted:

Also gently caress Glen Greenwald

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1328017991821389824?s=20
anyone who defends a book claiming that trans people are brainwashing kids to be trans immediately forfeits any credit they have gained for any other action

He was defending the book being allowed to be published.

The actual story there is that ALCU people are apparently 'dying on a hill' to censor poo poo which like, that is explicitly not the point of the ALCU, we in lib hellworld there are no principles.

If we've achieved a brief informal consensual peace between the Stay In Labour/Leave Labour debate can we maybe do the same thing with Greenwald? I'm happy to keep arguing with these idiots but it's so niche and must be boring to people.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

The actual story there is that ALCU people are apparently 'dying on a hill' to censor poo poo which like, that is explicitly not the point of the ALCU, we in lib hellworld there are no principles.

If we've achieved a brief informal consensual peace between the Stay In Labour/Leave Labour debate can we maybe do the same thing with Greenwald? I'm happy to keep arguing with these idiots but it's so niche and must be boring to people.

Being called out for bigotry isn't censorship you loving melt

You and all these other weirdos need some serious help and empathy

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Vitamin P posted:

remember when you were probed for a week and told not to come back to this thread? Good times

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

remember when you were probed for a week and told not to come back to this thread? Good times

The dudes from loving space his head is massive, beyond bigots who seriously wants to debate whether trans kids should have access to healthcare that decreases their chance of suicide and self harm?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Ash Crimson posted:

The dudes from loving space his head is massive, beyond bigots who seriously wants to debate whether trans kids should have access to healthcare that decreases their chance of suicide and self harm?

I'm talking about vitamin p and his endlessly lovely posting

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

I'm talking about vitamin p and his endlessly lovely posting

I know that

He's not a human there's no evidence of that right now, maybe it does exist but it hasn't come to light and at this point I don't think it ever will

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Ash Crimson posted:

He's not a human there's no evidence of that right now

You legit have no comebacks besides 'people i don't like aren't human' eh? I guess I'm glad you're spouting it on just me rather than every english person but limiting your scope doesn't make your point good luv.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Why are you idiots arguing about Glen Greenwald when Boris has the Rona again?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

Why are you idiots arguing about Glen Greenwald when Boris has the Rona again?

Has he actually got it again? I did look at twitter but I didn't see anything about johnson.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Finding it hard to get excited about any of the political maneuvering going on in the Tory party now.

For whatever back office reason, Cummies is gone. He left number 10 in a profoundly staged bit of pantomime with his belongings in a cardboard box.

Johnson has to self isolate now. For some reason this renders him incapable of answering questions about the resignation of his senior advisor. Nobody in the media will question why this is the case.

Even if there's a coup (and come brexit the knives might come out), some other soulless ghoul will lead the tories. They might lose their bottle in the combined covid-brexit hellscape, feather their nests, then let the government collapse so some other moron can lead, be it a Tory or Labour. And with the rubber stamp of a GE, there'll be an air of "well you can't complain you voted them in".

But even if Labour get in, they're poo poo. Genuinely pointless and I can't decide if Labour winning and solidifying centrism as "the way to win a GE" is any better than the Tories winning again and reinstating workhouses.

It just feels like the media, big money and the government are working so perfectly in lockstep that nothing is breaking through. Even if a good socialist candidate took power in Labour again (which they will never let happen), and even if they got to lead the party up to another GE, and even if they were charismatic and on message and unflappable, they'll still be faced by Kay Burley asking why they want to nationalise sausages, or a Tory councillor pretending to be a small business owner on Question Time, asking them why they hate England.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
yes, we should definitely take her at face value that she's being silenced for not being able to have her deep meaningful gender criticism as widely distributed as she would like. glenn greenwald can't see anything wrong with what she says so what possible issue could there be in giving her every platform she desires

getting a bit tired of waiting for him to crack and post the rant he's been clearly holding back about how the wokescold cuck left are abandoning the working class by not liking it when people say slurs or whatever the gently caress, hoping he can get on with that soon and get banned for the string of r-words in his followup a page later so we don't have to read his posts anymore

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Mebh posted:

This would be something I would go see a doc about along with loads of other minor 'I'm nearly 40 and poo poo is kinda slowly breaking but not majorly' health issues...but wellp. Covid! Not worth risking killing the love of my life for.

i mean i wouldnt go to the doctor about that but if you have a health issue that isnt going away then its worth making an appt. gp surgeries are safer than supermarkets if you think about it. no gp is going to allow someone in who wants to see if they have covid symptoms. these days you just speak to them on the phone anyway

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Has he actually got it again? I did look at twitter but I didn't see anything about johnson.

No, he's self isolating after an unnamed close contact caught it. Reinfection is pretty rare so I suspect people would be making a lot more about it if there was even a sniff of him being infected.

It does leave a couple of unanswered questions though - first, the important one: should advice be to isolate if you have a previous verified infection? Which loops into another one - is it possible he got Regeneron antibodies or convalescent plasma during his hospital stay? Either would mean he'd actually be unlikely to be immune now (because his own immune system would never have learned to fight the virus).

If he *hadn't* got it, would they have bothered to tell him to isolate (or rather to publicise his isolation)? Like you can make the argument that him publicly isolating sends a good story about the importance of self-isolation/quarantine (and could probably be spun to "See how well contact tracing is working now!)

Leaving aside the virology aspect of it - going into "isolation" to skip out on some nasty news coming down the pipe would be very, very Johnson. I don't buy the story that the infected contact was someone he wasn't supposed to be visiting - they *definitely* wouldn't be publicising it if so - but it's certainly convenient that at the very least he's going to be in isolation for two weeks right now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angepain posted:

yes, we should definitely take her at face value that she's being silenced for not being able to have her deep meaningful gender criticism as widely distributed as she would like. glenn greenwald can't see anything wrong with what she says so what possible issue could there be in giving her every platform she desires

It's even stupider that that.

quote:

Because I have not read Shrier’s book, I have no opinion whatsoever on the argument it makes, though I did watch her Rogan appearance and listened to her Megyn Kelly interview and found several questions she raised to be reasonable and worthy of further examination. I confess to an instinctive discomfort with the book’s title — “Irreversible Damage: The Transgender Craze Seducing Our Daughters” — as redolent of the destructive trope long used against gay men as predators seeking to recruit and “seduce” children into becoming gay. And I know that the legal and cultural assault on trans people is very real, and fervently believe trans people have the absolute right to full legal protection of and respect for their identities (Shrier herself has repeatedly said she also believes this: “I fully support medical transition for mature adults,” she wrote in her Quillette article).

But the question of whether young teens are being misdiagnosed with gender dysphoria, and at what age they are capable of making choices to permanently alter their bodies and identities, is of course a question society is exploring and should be able to explore in good faith without being demonized as bigots. Every significant social reform requires persuasion, which in turn requires debate and discussion to induce people to change how they think rather than badger and threaten and coerce them into doing so.

He literally hasn't read it, he is just going for maximum smoothbrain and assuming that because it is written in a book it must be substantive and worthy of people's attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

"Every significant social reform requires persuasion, which is why we must let the opponents of said social reforms have the biggest platforms of all" ????