Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

In the Gamecube Mario Strikers I am sure Waluigi had an animation where he did the RVD points to self along with the DX crotch chops but I can't find it in any video.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GratefulDirectBighornsheep-mobile.mp4

Like this, but maybe with his back turned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"What's got two thumbs and smokes a ton of weed"

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Arbite posted:

In the Gamecube Mario Strikers I am sure Waluigi had an animation where he did the RVD points to self along with the DX crotch chops but I can't find it in any video.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GratefulDirectBighornsheep-mobile.mp4

Like this, but maybe with his back turned.

(more here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/i-miss-super-mario-strikers-and-its-personality-waluigi-gif-alert.1411902/ )

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Sorry, should have been clearer, I'm looking for the "Points to self" not the "Crotch Chops."

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
trying to remember the name of a shareware game i downloaded in the late 90s. it was a jrpg where the main character was either a frog or a ball of slime, some kind of round green entity. the only other detail i remember is one of the armor items was a gore-tex jacket

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
This is a drawer liner that it's in all the built-in cabinets in our house and my wife wants to find the same pattern to replace some of the worn ones. The only thing I can really say is it's non-adhesive, and the house was built in the 40's but who knows when this liner was put in.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Saint Freak posted:

This is a drawer liner that it's in all the built-in cabinets in our house and my wife wants to find the same pattern to replace some of the worn ones. The only thing I can really say is it's non-adhesive, and the house was built in the 40's but who knows when this liner was put in.

There used to be a shop in my town that specialized in vintage wallpaper and fabrics so there's actually a market out there for this stuff and experts in the field but to be honest, it'd probably be a LOT less hassle and time to just remake the liners yourself. Marbling paper isn't that hard and if you can get a good quality scan of the designs and separate out the different layers in photoshop it'd probably be pretty easy to print out stamps on a 3D printer.

The raised/glitter designs would probably be the most difficult aspect since they seem to have deteriorated and the patterns aren't that crisp any more, but the way to replicate those would be to get a reverse stencil pattern cut into plastic sheets, then use that to spray adhesive onto the paper and then sprinkle it with glitter.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Lazyhound posted:

No, the thread is from 2017.

And the op was edited in September

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
No pictures because I only have one and it’s put up in a box in my book storing room: does anyone know anything about a group of paperback novels about John Constantlne? Every place I look has the graphic novels, but the nurses in the nervous hospital would completely freak the gently caress out if they thumbed through my backpack during admission. I’m talking about trade paperback novels, of which I actually have one. I have been looking for even one of these for at least fifteen years because I didn’t realize the Hellblazer comics were the same guy. The novels showed deeper into JC’s thought processes and was really, really good. It was also not based on a comic, but a fresh story like the movie (but better).

Cross-posting to the weird and wonderful books thread.

cardgame
Nov 15, 2004
hmmmm.
I’m trying to find the name of a book I saw an excerpt of (maybe in CSPAM) that discussed the Great Depression and Herbert Hoover’s response to it, it was extremely negative about Hoover. The excerpt talked about mobs of poor farmers and working class folk marching on courthouses to stop eviction and bankruptcies happening, anyone know what I’m talking about?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Something I kinda gave up on since its incredibly generic, but maybe you guys can figure it out. An old animated movie I watched in the early 90s. Not really sure what style of animation it was, but might have been French or anime (tho it'd be like early 80's style)

It was a very generic kung fu story: kid lives happily with his parents, evil kung fu man comes and kills the parents, kid survives in the wild and gets found by an old kung fu master, who trains him (2 training sequences I somewhat remember was grabbing tiny pellets while in the Snake stance and walking on a field of poles) until the kid's a teenager/adult, then evil kung fu man attacks again and the kid and him fight, kid wins and is about to kill evil kung fu man, but doesn't because he's not about that.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Archer666 posted:

Something I kinda gave up on since its incredibly generic, but maybe you guys can figure it out. An old animated movie I watched in the early 90s. Not really sure what style of animation it was, but might have been French or anime (tho it'd be like early 80's style)

It was a very generic kung fu story: kid lives happily with his parents, evil kung fu man comes and kills the parents, kid survives in the wild and gets found by an old kung fu master, who trains him (2 training sequences I somewhat remember was grabbing tiny pellets while in the Snake stance and walking on a field of poles) until the kid's a teenager/adult, then evil kung fu man attacks again and the kid and him fight, kid wins and is about to kill evil kung fu man, but doesn't because he's not about that.

Could it be Thunder Prince? It's also known as Black Dragon King and Asylum Baluster.

I found the full movie on YouTube:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qG6dOA6wRKU

It seems to match up almost exactly.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Tip posted:

Could it be Thunder Prince? It's also known as Black Dragon King and Asylum Baluster.

I found the full movie on YouTube:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qG6dOA6wRKU

It seems to match up almost exactly.

Holy poo poo, that's it. I used to be obsessed about this movie as a little kid. Never thought I'd be able to rewatch it, thanks a lot!

Edit: Looked up the vhs cover and yeah, 100% this is it. Looking at it now, its kind of hilarious. Looking forward to rewatching it.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 15, 2020

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Archer666 posted:

Holy poo poo, that's it. I used to be obsessed about this movie as a little kid. Never thought I'd be able to rewatch it, thanks a lot!

Edit: Looked up the vhs cover and yeah, 100% this is it. Looking at it now, its kind of hilarious. Looking forward to rewatching it.

Nice!

Some of the scenes I watched flipping through it were pretty hilariously bad. Especially the fights, some really bizarre animations in there.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Tip posted:

Nice!

Some of the scenes I watched flipping through it were pretty hilariously bad. Especially the fights, some really bizarre animations in there.

Yeah skipping around the animation quality is just horrible. Its definitely a lot worse/unintentionally funny than I remember it being, but I was also a very small, martial arts obsessed kid when I watched it. All I saw were cool kung fu moves... I think...?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Archer666 posted:

I like how it tells you the genre just in case you weren't sure

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

DerekSmartymans posted:

No pictures because I only have one and it’s put up in a box in my book storing room: does anyone know anything about a group of paperback novels about John Constantlne? Every place I look has the graphic novels, but the nurses in the nervous hospital would completely freak the gently caress out if they thumbed through my backpack during admission. I’m talking about trade paperback novels, of which I actually have one. I have been looking for even one of these for at least fifteen years because I didn’t realize the Hellblazer comics were the same guy. The novels showed deeper into JC’s thought processes and was really, really good. It was also not based on a comic, but a fresh story like the movie (but better).

Cross-posting to the weird and wonderful books thread.

Can't help you out specifically (I had no idea Constantine novels existed, but I'd be down for reading one!), but:

You say that they're not graphic novels, but trade paperbacks --- those are nearly equivalent terms in comics. A TB is a collection of individual comic issues (say, Hellblazer #1-12 or whatever) that's bound into a paperback, in the same size format as the original comics (but thicker, obviously). So a TB has gonna have those glorious gory pictures that might weird someone out. That might be hindering your search, if you keep looking for "trade paperbacks" when what you want is just a plain ol' all-words, no-pictures paperback book.

EDIT: I think what you want is "mass market paperback". Looks like John Shirley is the author of a few (and he's a hella writer, I have some cyberpunk anthologies that feature his stuff).

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 15, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I like brandy glasses with thin rims, like wine glasses. No matter where I've looked so far, including vintage stores, I can't find snifters with thin rims, only with heavy rolled rims that are presumably more dishwasher-safe. I've mail-ordered a couple of times, looked at Crate and Barrel and equivalent, but nothing.

Do any of you know where to find snifter-sized snifters (no more than 3" across the widest part)? Halp.

Thunder Prince is totally doing the zombie dance from Thriller.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Can't help you out specifically (I had no idea Constantine novels existed, but I'd be down for reading one!)

if you keep looking for "trade paperbacks" when what you want is just a plain ol' all-words, no-pictures paperback book.

EDIT: I think what you want is "mass market paperback". Looks like John Shirley is the author of a few (and he's a hella writer, I have some cyberpunk anthologies that feature his stuff).

I should’ve asked sooner. What I was supposed to call it was “mass-market paperback.” Looks like there aren’t many I missed, but I again bow to the GoonSearch engine :boom:

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I like brandy glasses with thin rims, like wine glasses. No matter where I've looked so far, including vintage stores, I can't find snifters with thin rims, only with heavy rolled rims that are presumably more dishwasher-safe. I've mail-ordered a couple of times, looked at Crate and Barrel and equivalent, but nothing.

Do any of you know where to find snifter-sized snifters (no more than 3" across the widest part)? Halp.

3" diameter across the bulb feels really small for a snifter. What do you feel about using a Glencairn glass? That's going to measure in at 2-1/2".
Reidel and Ravenscroft both make snifters with very thin rims, but those are going to be quite a bit bigger.

e: Spielglau Spiegelau's "Brandy Vino Grande" snifter might fit a little better, but even that's 4".
e2: wow, what a typo that was

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 16, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I really do prefer 3" (all the ones I've, sob, broken were 3") but the Spiegelau should do me. Thanks very, very much. I do have a "malt whisky" glass, probably by Reidel, but it doesn't let you hold the bowl in the palm of your hand.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Looking for the giant article on how Bee Movie's production process was a total mess, with things like Seinfeld coming in with a completely rewritten script every week.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
This feels like a request that will either be solved immediately or never.

The song "Airport" by The Motors came up in a spotify mix. As far as I know I've never heard it before, and it's not particularly entertaining. But it sounds REALLY familiar. I think part of the melody is reminding me of the intro music to some (British?) TV show. Or maybe just some other tune or bit of soundtrack music. It's throughout the song, but the first 30 seconds or so has a repeat or two of the part in question without singing.

[ideo type="youtube"]nAN-LvFOGus[/video]

Edit: dammit, the neurons finally fired seconds after I clicked post. Ship to Shore theme, not really that similar but it's definitely what I was thinking of.

uvar fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 16, 2020

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
drat this song is absolutely my jam, thanks for being confused and then solving your own confusion!

This version does not have the weird skip from the video you posted (though it also goes about a second too long, so it has its own problems)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2eY1rMHwHE

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Can't help you out specifically (I had no idea Constantine novels existed, but I'd be down for reading one!), but:

You say that they're not graphic novels, but trade paperbacks --- those are nearly equivalent terms in comics. A TB is a collection of individual comic issues (say, Hellblazer #1-12 or whatever) that's bound into a paperback, in the same size format as the original comics (but thicker, obviously). So a TB has gonna have those glorious gory pictures that might weird someone out. That might be hindering your search, if you keep looking for "trade paperbacks" when what you want is just a plain ol' all-words, no-pictures paperback book.

but like "trade paperback" is also a perfectly legitimate term for what the poster is looking for when it's in the publishing industry outside of specifically comic book stuff. i didn't even know it had a comics industry meaning, i've only ever heard "trade paperback" used in respect to the regular publishing industry, in wihch trade and mass-market PBs are not the same thing and it's a distinction based on size and cover format

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

uvar posted:

This feels like a request that will either be solved immediately or never.

The song "Airport" by The Motors came up in a spotify mix. As far as I know I've never heard it before, and it's not particularly entertaining. But it sounds REALLY familiar. I think part of the melody is reminding me of the intro music to some (British?) TV show. Or maybe just some other tune or bit of soundtrack music. It's throughout the song, but the first 30 seconds or so has a repeat or two of the part in question without singing.

[ideo type="youtube"]nAN-LvFOGus[/video]

Edit: dammit, the neurons finally fired seconds after I clicked post. Ship to Shore theme, not really that similar but it's definitely what I was thinking of.
My eyes: Ship to Shore
My brain: DOOT DOO DOOT DOODLE DOOT DOO
Me: What the gently caress is happening

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 17, 2020

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011
I once heard a version of Misfits' Mommy, can I go out and kill tonight? on WFMU sometime in the mid 2000s. I recall it being slowed down with a digital granular time stretch effect or something. It either wasn't Danzig singing or they pitch shifted his voice much higher. The vocals also had a lot of effects on it; maybe some light autotune.

The music in this version had a light, slow, electronic feel to it. Very different from the original. It wasn't punk or rock at all. Probably didn't even have any guitar.

I definitely heard it on the radio, but I think it might have also been on a compilation CD the DJ was offering as a marathon donation reward. A few years after I heard it I checked all the donation reward archives and the old playlists on the WFMU website but couldn't find it.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I'm assuming you're not thinking of Rippin Kittin which doesn't actually have anything to do with Misfits, just the chorus has the lyrics, but it is electronic and it would have played during that time. Otherwise, I can't think of and so far I'm not finding anything near what you're describing.

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011
I think that is it. It's even got a kinda time stretch sound in the beginning and middle. I guess I was misremembering it as a straight cover song.

Thank you for solving that so quickly!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

InediblePenguin posted:

but like "trade paperback" is also a perfectly legitimate term for what the poster is looking for when it's in the publishing industry outside of specifically comic book stuff. i didn't even know it had a comics industry meaning, i've only ever heard "trade paperback" used in respect to the regular publishing industry, in wihch trade and mass-market PBs are not the same thing and it's a distinction based on size and cover format

Huh, did not know that! I've only heard TBN as a term for collected comics, not straight prose stuff. Thanks for me schooling me on that.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I used to work as a bookseller years ago, and back then, the difference I remember between trade and mass market paperbacks was how they were disposed of. Mass market books were treated like magazines - if you wanna return it, you literally tear off the cover, send it back to publisher, and toss the rest in the dumpster. This is why a lot of paperbacks have that “if you purchased this book without a cover” thing on the first page.

It was considered fine for us booksellers to take the inside of the book home with us, so I’ve got a couple shelves of coverless manga and a whole box of coverless true crime crap.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Early 2000's there was a goon run screen printing business that did a run of t-shirts that featured a ghost ship wrapping up around the side of the shirt. Anyone know if they're still in business and what the name of the company is?

ElectricBlizzard
Jun 24, 2011

"I never met a monster I didn't like"

Rakekniven posted:

Early 2000's there was a goon run screen printing business that did a run of t-shirts that featured a ghost ship wrapping up around the side of the shirt. Anyone know if they're still in business and what the name of the company is?

ecnlothe! but they've been done for a while http://enclothe.com/

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Thanks!

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:
my white whale for years has been this sesame street thing that scared the poo poo out of me when i was a kid. kermit ghost running through the swamp. finally found it.

it's disco frog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyGGvpUoF6k

shameful page 69 content

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

the heebie-gbs posted:

my white whale for years has been this sesame street thing that scared the poo poo out of me when i was a kid. kermit ghost running through the swamp. finally found it.

it's disco frog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyGGvpUoF6k

shameful page 69 content

The same year they did a different version of that song for the Muppet Show with Kermit dancing but also singing, where the effect worked a lot better but the dancing was terrible (probably because Jim was stuck in place working Kermit's mouth and the other puppeteers had to work around him the best they could, and they couldn't move Kermit's limbs in front of his body because the sticks would have been super obvious)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7tRVZNgvHs

You can pretty much see what they were trying to achieve and they did the best they could with whatever late 70s technology they had available to them combined with the traditional Bunraku/black light puppetry technique to superimpose the puppets over a background but it wasn't their best work.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

I just remembered another one:

Around the year 2000, I was shopping at the Clackamas Town Center near Portland Oregon:

They blocked off a big section of the mall because someone was filming a TV commercial. I don't know what it was, but I remember hearing it was some sort of electronic device from HP.

It starts with a wide shot of people walking through the mall (paid extras, not real shoppers) then a man with a cell phone walks toward the camera as it lowers on a crane. He looks down and laughs at something on his phone while nodding, then walks out of frame.

The clapper board said they had done 30 or 40 takes by the time I got there, which I thought was pretty neat. I kept looking to see if I would catch the commercial on TV, but I never saw it or found out what it was for. Does that vague description ring a bell for anyone?

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Extremely weird that Kermit popped up just a few posts ago but that's weird coincidences I guess. I've been searching for mine off and on for a while now and have doubled down recently combing through old poo poo trying to find it, but it was a comic strip--probably just a few years old now--that was Fozzie Bear and Kermit and involved (spoilering because it's gore-y gross, there's no weird sex stuff) Fozzie Bear using a plastic tube or straw to inflate Kermit until he pops, viscerally and it despite it feeling like something I made up in a fever dream my buddies also saw it and I know it exists out there, somewhere.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Sab Sabbington posted:

Extremely weird that Kermit popped up just a few posts ago but that's weird coincidences I guess. I've been searching for mine off and on for a while now and have doubled down recently combing through old poo poo trying to find it, but it was a comic strip--probably just a few years old now--that was Fozzie Bear and Kermit and involved (spoilering because it's gore-y gross, there's no weird sex stuff) Fozzie Bear using a plastic tube or straw to inflate Kermit until he pops, viscerally and it despite it feeling like something I made up in a fever dream my buddies also saw it and I know it exists out there, somewhere.

That actually is a weird sex thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shameful Display
Nov 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
My ultimate goal is to completely shut down the hive of anti-crypto villainy on these forums forever.