Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The xbox one is supposed to be good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I love my PS4 one because of the ergonomics for the handles. Fits so well for my hand size. I'm really looking forward to trying a PS5 controller eventually once my PS4 one starts to have too much wear and tear.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

DMCA notices are completely asymmetrical warfare, rights holders... well shotgun seems like an understatement for 2 million notices submitted per day.

Also there is little to no penalty for filing a bad-faith claim, even for something you don't actually have the rights to or are a designated agent for the rights holder, you can just send them out whenever. To file a counter-claim you have to provide personally identifying information and complete an affadavit under penalty of perjury
I think there is theoretically a penalty, but it requires actually taking the thing to court and the people getting the claims generally can't afford that.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The 7th Guest posted:

i'd only do that if you have a charging station or something. the microUSB connector on the DS4 is awful

also it won't work with everything outside of steam even with DS4Windows, it's just more finnicky

xbox 360/one controllers will pretty much work with 99% of gamepad-supported games now unless it's like. 1995-2005 era gaming

Does it suck more than the PS3 usb connector? My old reliable DS3 finally gave up the ghost and I'm looking to replace, and the Xbone controllers in my region are like 2-3 times the price of a DS4. I'm used the Dualshock's shape anyways, so unless it's an EXCEPTIONALLY bad USB port I'd really prefer it...

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Infinity Gaia posted:

Does it suck more than the PS3 usb connector? My old reliable DS3 finally gave up the ghost and I'm looking to replace, and the Xbone controllers in my region are like 2-3 times the price of a DS4. I'm used the Dualshock's shape anyways, so unless it's an EXCEPTIONALLY bad USB port I'd really prefer it...

I'm still using a DS4 from my launch PS4 that I bought back in 2013 and the USB connector still works okay, it's no worse than the xbone controller I have

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bad Parenting posted:

I'm still using a DS4 from my launch PS4 that I bought back in 2013 and the USB connector still works okay, it's no worse than the xbone controller I have

I'm on my third or fourth PS4 controller since 2017, the connection always gets more and more unreliable until it stops working entirely.

Anonymous Robot posted:

If you’re really looking for the “gold standard,” the absurdly expensive Xbox One Elite Series 2 offers better construction, a hair trigger shoulder option, multiple analog stick and d-pad options, and most notably, rear paddles for mapping macros to.

It's probably the best controller I've ever owned. Razer Wolverines arent bad either- not as good as the series 2 but they also have these buttons with springs for resistance that take some getting used to but once you do it's really nice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if I wanted to sell a whole shitload of game keys(and other poo poo if I have that stuff too) from my humble bundle account, is there a better way to catalog it all outside of just copying down it all manually? there's 40 goddamn pages of keys and such, so if there's a way to just get a text file of it all that'd be dandy, but somehow I doubt it's that convenient.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 15, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

if I wanted to sell a whole shitload of game keys(and other poo poo if I have that stuff too) from my humble bundle account, is there a better way to catalog it all outside of just copying down it all manually? there's 40 goddamn pages of keys and such, so if there's a way to just get a text file of it all that'd be dandy, but somehow I doubt it's that convenient.

I’ve never seen anything like that. I gave away like six months of keys a few years ago and it would have been really handy.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I uh... Maybe start listening to a podcast series and make a project out of it. It'll go by fairly quick once you get into the rhythm.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

Gimme a sec I'll see if I can fangle summin up - do you need to click reveal key on each one?

E: this isn't great, as you'd have to do it for each page in 2 steps (first step, clicks redeem on all keys, wait for them all to finish redeeming, second step writes them all up), you might want to tick hide redeemed keys before you do this to stop your already claimed keys getting mixed in.

Go into console - f12 in most browsers

paste this and press enter
code:
//click all redeem buttons
$('.js-keyfield.enabled').each(function(i, obj) {
var current =  $(obj);
current[0].click();
});
Once all are displaying the steam key - paste this in:
code:
//display list of all keys on page
var string = "";
$('tr').each(function(i, obj) {
if (i > 0)
	{
	var currentElem =  $(obj);
	var current = $(currentElem[0]);

var platform = current.find(".hb-key")[0];
	var name = current.find(".game-name h4")[0];
	var code = current.find(".keyfield-value")[0];

//if its not a humble choice button
	if ((platform) && (name) && (code))
		string += platform.title+", "+name.innerText+" : "+code.innerText +"\n";
	}
});
console.log(string);
It then fires out a neat little list for you to copy and paste into notepad

Also I'll say use at your own risk blah blah, I'm hoping humble wouldn't flag your account for mass clicking the redeem buttons.

A LOVELY LAD fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 15, 2020

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So what's the current gold standard for PC game controllers? My good old xbox 360 controller is starting to have some buttons stick. I don't know anything about the latest consoles but I assume one of them would probably be best.

Honestly, I've had the best luck with just a simple cheap-rear end PowerA Enhanced Wired Controller.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'm on my third or fourth PS4 controller since 2017, the connection always gets more and more unreliable until it stops working entirely.

3 controllers in 3 years? that's not normal, you should probably look after your controllers better!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Bad Parenting posted:

3 controllers in 3 years? that's not normal, you should probably look after your controllers better!
That really does seem a bit excessive. I've been using the same 360 controller for about ten years now. The rubbering on the sticks is worn away to naked plastic, but except for some issues with the deadzone they still work well. Are PS4 contollers just manufactured that much worse or something?

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 15, 2020

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

It's probably the best controller I've ever owned. Razer Wolverines arent bad either- not as good as the series 2 but they also have these buttons with springs for resistance that take some getting used to but once you do it's really nice.

I ended up going through three Xbox Elite V2 controllers that all had issues with the “A” button only registering about 9 out of 10 presses, which made platforming games basically impossible. It’s apparently a known problem and can sort of be fixed by wedging something incredibly thin in the gap between the shell of the controller and the button itself, but it’s not a reliable solution. I can only assume that all three came from the same botched batch, but I finally gave up and picked up a Razer Wolverine Ultimate instead.

It’s definitely an excellent controller. Not quite the fit and finish of an Elite V2, and while it has modular thumb sticks and D Pad, even those don’t quite feel as awesome as the Elite does; the triggers are adjustable like the Elite but only have two levels of adjustment. On the other hand, even while I was using the Elite, I really only used the highest and lowest settings, so it wasn’t a big loss.

The Wolverine’s buttons feel really different—they’re literally “clicky” like a mouse, and even make the same sound. That might take some getting used to but it’s not a huge detraction.

Ultimately, the biggest difference is that the Wolverine is wired only. Might be annoying for some people, but the absence of a wireless battery gets rid of like 120g of weight, so it’s noticeably lighter than the Elite.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Did you ever have any issues with recognition or with games giving you the wrong kind of button prompts? The Razer website makes it look really good, but 160$ is a lot of dosh, and I'd be paying even more than that if wanted to buy it in my country. I wouldn't be willing to touch a controller like that myself if it worked anything less than perfectly every time.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Bad Parenting posted:

Nah, I've run into this issue too. The PS4 controllers, at least the ones produced for the Nordic market if they aren't all identical, have shoddy micro-USB ports that come loose quickly.

There's even a harness you can get that tries to circumvent the problem by keeping the USB perfectly straight.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 15, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

That really does seem a bit excessive. I've been using the same 360 controller for about ten years now. The rubbering on the sticks is worn away to naked plastic, but except for some issues with the deadzone they still work well. Are PS4 contollers just manufactured that much worse or something?

I had a 360 controller that also lasted for about ten years that I only replaced because the rubber on the sticks wore away. My controllers all live on a shelf when I’m not using them, the PS4 controllers are just a bit poo poo, build quality wise. It’s always started as them getting more and more picky about what cables will charge them before eventually it’s just too annoying to deal with and I replace them.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I ended up going through three Xbox Elite V2 controllers that all had issues with the “A” button only registering about 9 out of 10 presses, which made platforming games basically impossible. It’s apparently a known problem and can sort of be fixed by wedging something incredibly thin in the gap between the shell of the controller and the button itself, but it’s not a reliable solution. I can only assume that all three came from the same botched batch, but I finally gave up and picked up a Razer Wolverine Ultimate instead.

It’s definitely an excellent controller. Not quite the fit and finish of an Elite V2, and while it has modular thumb sticks and D Pad, even those don’t quite feel as awesome as the Elite does; the triggers are adjustable like the Elite but only have two levels of adjustment. On the other hand, even while I was using the Elite, I really only used the highest and lowest settings, so it wasn’t a big loss.

The Wolverine’s buttons feel really different—they’re literally “clicky” like a mouse, and even make the same sound. That might take some getting used to but it’s not a huge detraction.

Ultimately, the biggest difference is that the Wolverine is wired only. Might be annoying for some people, but the absence of a wireless battery gets rid of like 120g of weight, so it’s noticeably lighter than the Elite.

I went with the tier below the ultimate because it’s not my usual controller (that would be the elite series 2). I think the only difference is that you can’t swap the thumb stick/d pad, but the defaults are nice enough anyway. I actually prefer wired controllers so that was a plus for me.

Cardiovorax posted:

Did you ever have any issues with recognition or with games giving you the wrong kind of button prompts? The Razer website makes it look really good, but 160$ is a lot of dosh, and I'd be paying even more than that if wanted to buy it in my country. I wouldn't be willing to touch a controller like that myself if it worked anything less than perfectly every time.

Never had any problems with it, it’s basically a standard Xbox controller as far as your computer knows. The one problem is you can only reprogram the extra buttons on a Xbox, unlike the series 2 where you can change the settings for the paddles on your computer.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Never had any problems with it, it’s basically a standard Xbox controller as far as your computer knows. The one problem is you can only reprogram the extra buttons on a Xbox, unlike the series 2 where you can change the settings for the paddles on your computer.
Seems like something to keep an eyes on sales for, then. I am interested in looking for something new long-term and one advantage of third-party controllers is that they tend to have a lot more flexibility in terms of configuration than the console manufacturer's stuff, which often restricts that as much as it can. How much does the Razer allow you to do in that are? I always like it when a controller lets me easily set up autofire for a face button, at least.

Thanks for the warning about PS4 controllers, by the way. I really hate shoddy manufacturing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

Seems like something to keep an eyes on sales for, then. I am interested in looking for something new long-term and one advantage of third-party controllers is that they tend to have a lot more flexibility in terms of configuration than the console manufacturer's stuff, which often restricts that as much as it can. How much does the Razer allow you to do in that are? I always like it when a controller lets me easily set up autofire for a face button, at least.

Thanks for the warning about PS4 controllers, by the way. I really hate shoddy manufacturing.

The Razer only lets you customize on Xbox, so if you want to customize for playing on PC I’d recommend looking into the Elite Series 2. Not sure what options it had for stuff like auto fire, though.

The huge improvements in third party controllers has been great, I totally agree about the shoddy manufacturing. Being able to spend extra to get a stupidly overbuilt controller is fantastic

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah I have to agree with Ugly in the Morning, I've never had any issues with it. I initially installed a Razer Wolverine app on one of my computers and proceeded to never use the app for anything; otherwise, the controller has been entirely plug-and-play with every other device in the house--none of which have the app installed. Devices must be recognizing the controller as some sort of generic Xbox controller, and since it has the same face buttons as an Xbox controller, I've yet to encounter a program that thinks it should be showing me DS4 button prompts or something.

The Razer only lets you customize on Xbox, so if you want to customize for playing on PC I’d recommend looking into the Elite Series 2. Not sure what options it had for stuff like auto fire, though.

Are you sure that's still the case? I had the app installed on a Windows 10 laptop and it seemed like I could fully customize it in ways I would never want to. I'll have to check again.

EDIT: Yeah it's confusingly called "Razer Controller Setup for Xbox" but it works in (at least) Windows 10 and lets me put all sorts of customization on the buttons and functions in ways I can't think of ever doing.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 15, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Zereth posted:

I think there is theoretically a penalty, but it requires actually taking the thing to court and the people getting the claims generally can't afford that.

There's really not much of a penalty. If you can prove damages you can get those and legal costs, but that's hard. People HAVE done it, but notably only against small parties. The point of the law is to give special super-protections to the RIAA and MPAA, of course the government is never going to let you win a lawsuit against them. Your only recourse (aside from voting for decent politicians which lol) is to stop giving them money and support only artists who refuse to have anything to do with those scumbags. But giving money to the RIAA and MPAA is easier than ever, so unfortunately people are going to keep doing it and things are going to keep getting worse.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Are you sure that's still the case? I had the app installed on a Windows 10 laptop and it seemed like I could fully customize it in ways I would never want to. I'll have to check again.

Weird, I’ll double check! When I got it I poked around online and it said you can’t customize on PC. Maybe they’ve changed that recently.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Thanks for all the controller feedback. I forgot I have a PS4 controller somewhere that I could use. I could also probably try a switch pro controller. Anyone have any experience with the newest xbox controllers? I wonder if they will be the new standard.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Weird, I’ll double check! When I got it I poked around online and it said you can’t customize on PC. Maybe they’ve changed that recently.

I edited my previous post but, yeah, it's confusingly called "Razer Controller Setup for Xbox" but it works in (at least) Windows 10 and lets me customize the controller in a lot of ways. Maybe they changed something at some point.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Thanks for all the controller feedback. I forgot I have a PS4 controller somewhere that I could use. I could also probably try a switch pro controller. Anyone have any experience with the newest xbox controllers? I wonder if they will be the new standard.

Apparently they’re like the xbone controller with a better dpad. I don’t think you can ever really go wrong with the Microsoft controllers- there’s better options if you want to spend more but they’re great as a standard controller type thing. Every Xbox controller ive ever had was well-made and lasted forever.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I used a DS4 until the rubber on the analog sticks started to go, then last year I got an 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ and it's been fantastic. The dual-shock stick orientation, but with proper start/select buttons and a good d-pad. Since it was designed for the switch, it even has a convenient button for taking screenshots.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

EDIT: Yeah it's confusingly called "Razer Controller Setup for Xbox" but it works in (at least) Windows 10 and lets me put all sorts of customization on the buttons and functions in ways I can't think of ever doing.
Awesome, so that's a definite option then. Thanks.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

I've been using a dualsense for the last few days with steam, such a nice controller and that's even without the support for haptics and the adaptive triggers. If they manage to add support for that on PC it'll be perfect

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ive been using the same 2 dualshock 4s for years now and the usb is fine on both of them. i have had zero issues.

meanwhile every xbox controller ive ever owned has broken in some way. even the elites use the same lovely plastic internals as the regular controllers so they suffer from the same stick drift and poo poo.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Is there any way to get any useful recommendations from Steam-tags? Most tags are complete crock, but is there a way of limitin them to only developer-added ones instead of user tags?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Is there any way to get any useful recommendations from Steam-tags? Most tags are complete crock, but is there a way of limitin them to only developer-added ones instead of user tags?
Sadly no, but it helps a lot to stick to only the really big ones. You check for RPGs, chances are that 99.9% of what you get will be a drat RPG, not some kind of hentai tile-matching game. Metroidvania, Crafting, Survival, that sort of thing mostly works. It also helps to exclude that you specifically don't want to see to pare it down a little. I think the new search lets you do that on a case-by-case basis for every search.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I bought one of the new Xbox controllers for PC gaming and it's fantastic. I was last using an Xbox one controller, one of the first Gen ones without Bluetooth, and that thing is still working just as good as it did on the day I bought it but wanted a second so I got a new one. The Bluetooth is great and I don't see much lag at all. It's a perfect controller imo so they didn't change much but it feels so much sturdier and has nice grippies on the handle part now.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've had the Xbox 360 controller for maybe 10 years and it has some wear and tear on the sticks but nothing major. For the past 3 years I've been using the DS4 and it looks pretty much like new. YMMV :shrug:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

I honestly don't use Steam tags, but we have our own recommend thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3196783

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

in between bouts of Destiny I'm having a lot of fun with Sakuna

for a game ostensibly about rice farming it's quite a good-feeling 2D brawler

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
My DS4 sticks got micro jittering just mere months after buying it. Like the stick input always have this tiiiny back and forth motion, even when I'm not touching them? It makes the controller unusable with Steam's/Windows' native drivers but ds4windows naturally ignores the jitter so I guess it must be a relatively common issue.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that is almost certainly just a tight deadzone setting on steam compared to ds4windows. i havent looked but i imagine you can fix that in about a minute.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've burnt myself out on Halo, Doom Eternal and Warhammer 2 and I need something new to play that is cheap because Canadian funbux means new games cost eighty bucks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

One Finger Death Punch 2? It's cheap and a great way to kill half an hour killing stick men in the flashiest manner you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've burnt myself out on Halo, Doom Eternal and Warhammer 2 and I need something new to play that is cheap because Canadian funbux means new games cost eighty bucks.

Yakuza 0