Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's the deal with Metal Gear Survive? Is it fun when played alone? I loved MGS5s, so if it's similar at all I'll be pleased

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Awesome! posted:

that is almost certainly just a tight deadzone setting on steam compared to ds4windows. i havent looked but i imagine you can fix that in about a minute.

It didn't help back when I tried. The main problem was that, even with a bigger deadzone in Steam's gamepad settings, the game I was playing would still detect the controller being used. It would constantly try to switch input between gamepad and mouse/keyboard, interrupting gameplay, almost as if the game still got raw input before Steam's deadzone affected it.

DS4windows's native deadzone works as you might expect, not even registering the jitter as any actual motion when the stick is in a neutral position. But the jitter is still there, very small but sometimes perceptible in games with very sensitive cameras.

https://imgur.com/I5d93sa

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/jotamide/status/1328067896329854986

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

rt4 posted:

What's the deal with Metal Gear Survive? Is it fun when played alone? I loved MGS5s, so if it's similar at all I'll be pleased
It's essentially a total conversion mod for that game. All the essential controls and mechanics are the same, but as the name suggests, it's a survival game first of all. Long story short, you're a Mother Base soldier who gets dropped in what you assume to be an alternate universe earth that was overtaken by something called "dust" that has turned any human you can still find into a kind of strange, semi-crystalline zombie creature.

Your job is to travel around the game worlds of MGS 5, discovering resources, teleportation points, survivors, and possibly a way home. That mostly takes the form of wandering through the dust in a gas mask. There are occasional "tower defense" like siege sections where you most hold your ground until a teleporter or other object finishes charging. To do that, you have the ability to teleport various environmental object straight to your position. You can do this effectively anywhere with tons of things from basic chainlink fences to MG nests.

The rest is your standard "find blueprints and built better gear" gameplay that should be simple enough to pick up on for anyone familiar with video games. The plot is absolutely insane enough to be a proper Metal Gear Solid game, and no less verbose. No worries on that end.

A lot of people honestly really didn't like it, largely because it isn't actually much of a MGS game. It's different and it tries to be different. Personally? I actually enjoyed it more than MGS5. There's something really enjoyable about the whole thing that I can't quite put my finger on, but it just has more personality to it than I think Phantom Pain does. It might look like a cheap knockoff, but I think someone really cared about this game and making it good. There are tons of little details and secrets everywhere. Under the bottom line, I think it's actually pretty good.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I also really enjoyed MGS. It is quite tough at first and kind of punishing just finding food and water, but that makes it really satisfying once you've grown your base to the point you are completely self sufficient. It sort of slowly rewards you with new stuff for a long long time, almost to it's detriment as there is still a ton of gameplay awaiting once the campaign is finished.

Also the game can be really challenging and it was really satisfying to me finding new resources and things to grow your base and improve your character (and arsenal).

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've burnt myself out on Halo, Doom Eternal and Warhammer 2 and I need something new to play that is cheap because Canadian funbux means new games cost eighty bucks.

The other day i bought a month of EA Play so I could play Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order.

Way cheaper than actually buying the game

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, Survive is definitely legitimately tough at times and those first two hours or so before you've got a proper way to make your own water and basic prepared foods are really tense. One of the definitely plus sides of being Phantom Pain-derived is that you can restart anytime and lose nothing except for in-game progress. All your resources and blueprints are preserved and you even get a new stock of basic starter medicines if you've run out and are stuck because of that. It's very user friendly.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

explosivo posted:

I bought one of the new Xbox controllers for PC gaming and it's fantastic. I was last using an Xbox one controller, one of the first Gen ones without Bluetooth, and that thing is still working just as good as it did on the day I bought it but wanted a second so I got a new one. The Bluetooth is great and I don't see much lag at all. It's a perfect controller imo so they didn't change much but it feels so much sturdier and has nice grippies on the handle part now.

Are you using a generic bluetooth adapter or their official one? My old wired 360 controller has died recently and my backup controller, a steam controller, is fine most of the time but I want to get another xbox controller.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

PlushCow posted:

Are you using a generic bluetooth adapter or their official one? My old wired 360 controller has died recently and my backup controller, a steam controller, is fine most of the time but I want to get another xbox controller.

I have just a generic PCIe adapter

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The official Xbox controller adapter isn't Bluetooth, it uses the same proprietary radio as the Xbox itself

In my experience the official adapter is way more reliable

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

repiv posted:

The official Xbox controller adapter isn't Bluetooth, it uses the same proprietary radio as the Xbox itself

In my experience the official adapter is way more reliable

Yeah I have one of those too because I needed it for my old controller and I'll say while I don't notice a difference in input lag I did have a couple disconnects on bluetooth already and I'm like a couple feet away from my PC. I'll still probably stick with bluetooth so I don't need to have the adapter jutting out of the front of my PC but it is for sure a lot more reliable with a longer range. And it should work on the newer controllers, I just haven't tried it yet.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I regret not a single dollar spent on Yakuza 7 :allears:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Morter posted:

I regret not a single dollar spent on Yakuza 7 :allears:

I love a good, vigorous pounding. It's great for your skin, but not for your knuckles (because of all the smashing of enemies). Yakuza 7 keeps looking like a fun title.

0 is the only one I've played, but it stays with me.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I bought 3 games from the Build Your Own Fanatical Platinum Bundle and here are my impressions over the weekend.

Lethal League Blaze is everything I wanted and loved out of it. A baseball/dodgeball fighting game hybrid where the ball can go up to ridiculous speeds, complete with anime time stops, and the feeling of constant hype. The characters are pretty cool too, like the snazzy Candyman or the evil boombox Doombox. Not sure about the online population but I even managed to get some matches in during the weekend no problem, and while I got demolished of course, it was still a fun time. The time stop hits really set this apart from its predecessor, which many of us probably own through various giveaways. Also has a fun Rock Paper Scissors thing going with hits, parries, and throws.

Streets of Rogue feels like mini-tabletop RPG campaigns in an action video game setting. A session can feel something like this: "Okay, I want to borrow money from the clerk. Okay let's murder the clerk so we don't have to pay them back. Okay but the company has now sent assassins after us. Okay, I will hire gang members to protect us from them. Oh whoops in the process of defending ourselves we accidentally destroyed some graves. Now ghosts are haunting us. My protection has run away from ghosts and shot at them in panic. The cops heard the shots. Now the cops are after us. One of the stray bullets put something on fire. The firefighters came. They accidentally got in the way of the cops' shots. Now the cops and firefighters are fighting each other too."

Guacamelee 2 is a very polished version of the first game, which I enjoyed but bounced off eventually. The graphics are similar but sleeker, the combat is the same but feels a bit more responsive, the platforming is reasonably challenging (some of the side paths can be hard), and overall the level design feels a bit more guided and obvious. It's the one I've played the most out of the three because the pacing is on point, never feels like a dull moment, it's always just one more save point.

Quick shoutout to Cardiovorax for telling me to go for the latter two games, as the only one I was set on was Lethal League Blaze.

EDIT: I take back the unanimously good words I said about Guacamelee 2 because whoever designed a bomb that detonates in 5 seconds that kills you from anywhere on screen if you don't get to it on time is a dick. This is a game where every hit knocks you down and you lose like 2 seconds aaaa

Artelier fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 16, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Survive's bartender in Yakuza 7 is absolutely Kashiwagi, right? It's not just asset reuse?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

Survive's bartender in Yakuza 7 is absolutely Kashiwagi, right? It's not just asset reuse?

There's some folks who think the barkeep isn't him and I think they're kidding themselves.

Yakuza does have a lot of asset reuse for nameless mooks but not for named characters with distinctive designs.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Literally as I typed this I remembered Joon-gi Han reuses Joon-gi Han's model and now I'm laughing at myself.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Artelier posted:

Streets of Rogue feels like mini-tabletop RPG campaigns in an action video game setting. A session can feel something like this: "Okay, I want to borrow money from the clerk. Okay let's murder the clerk so we don't have to pay them back. Okay but the company has now sent assassins after us. Okay, I will hire gang members to protect us from them. Oh whoops in the process of defending ourselves we accidentally destroyed some graves. Now ghosts are haunting us. My protection has run away from ghosts and shot at them in panic. The cops heard the shots. Now the cops are after us. One of the stray bullets put something on fire. The firefighters came. They accidentally got in the way of the cops' shots. Now the cops and firefighters are fighting each other too."
Great way to sum it up. A good round of Streets of Rogue feels exactly like that. All of these are things that can reasonably happen.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Steam's screenshot uploader is occasionally preventing my computer from shutting down. I have steam overlay disabled, unchecked the option to run the uploader after closing a game and haven't been taking any screenshots so not sure why or how it's begun doing this. Any idea what the deal is here?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've had occasional situations where Steam gets hung up and unable to complete synchronizing with the cloud for some reason or another, which stops me from shutting it down conventionally or (as you've seen) shutting down Windows for as long as it keeps trying. The only real solution I've found is to kill the Steam process manually through the task manager.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Steam's screenshot uploader is occasionally preventing my computer from shutting down. I have steam overlay disabled, unchecked the option to run the uploader after closing a game and haven't been taking any screenshots so not sure why or how it's begun doing this. Any idea what the deal is here?

If you're going by what the shutdown screen says, I think it may just choosing the name of one of the windows that steam can open. For instance, mine's been saying "Server Browser" lately, which is a thing I never open, though it goes away after 5-10 seconds. It may just be the steam process itself doing something completely unrelated to screenshots. I think it may be doing cloud save stuff, since they're apparently hosted behind a 28.8 modem somewhere.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

tildes posted:

Anyone into shooters should try out Sector’s Edge. It is a free multiplayer PvP FPS that just released into early access. The hook is that all terrain is destructible, and you can build/dig while fighting (if you’ve played Ace of Spades, imagine building sort of like that, but attached to a much better game). It opens up really fun strategies like flanking someone through a wall in the middle of a fight, and gives a ton of variety to the maps since the geometry can end up so different match by match.

On top of that, it’s just a really well made shooter. Gunplay is great, movement is fluid, and it has a ton of nice quality of life features already. It really just ticks all the boxes for what you’d want a game like this to do, and player population has been solid enough that I haven’t had to wait more than 30s for a match.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1024890/Sectors_Edge/

this is surprisingly dope, I had fun with the four or five rounds I just played. Got my poo poo absolutely pushed in and it has some weapon balance issues but overall it feels a lot like Red Faction's old multiplayer, but with voxels, and I'm going to be watching it keenly to see how it evolves going forward

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

chglcu posted:

If you're going by what the shutdown screen says, I think it may just choosing the name of one of the windows that steam can open. For instance, mine's been saying "Server Browser" lately, which is a thing I never open, though it goes away after 5-10 seconds. It may just be the steam process itself doing something completely unrelated to screenshots. I think it may be doing cloud save stuff, since they're apparently hosted behind a 28.8 modem somewhere.

Lmao OK that makes sense, sort of. I guess force quitting in task manager is the only option.

I think I disabled cloud saves actually, there was some game I was playing that had issues with them. I’ll have to go back and check.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

A lot of people honestly really didn't like it, largely because it isn't actually much of a MGS game. It's different and it tries to be different. Personally? I actually enjoyed it more than MGS5. There's something really enjoyable about the whole thing that I can't quite put my finger on, but it just has more personality to it than I think Phantom Pain does. It might look like a cheap knockoff, but I think someone really cared about this game and making it good. There are tons of little details and secrets everywhere. Under the bottom line, I think it's actually pretty good.
Okay, so I'm going to present the flip side here. The campaign is fun enough and you'll basically want to see it through just to see the story (which definitely is batshit enough to be MGS) but you will be cursing your lack of equipment most of the time. MGS5 had tons of massively customizable weapons, here you get three guns and some mostly interchangeable melee weapons (hint: use the pointy stick). That's it. No fultoning, no teleportation, no decoys, no loving around with guards' AI (what AI? they're zombies), next to no stealth. Theoretically, there are more options - the game gives three classes with some seriously badass moves; the trouble is, they unlock in the postgame when you've already got everything explored and literally the only thing you can do is tower defense missions.

I think the arsenal you get and the opporunities to get creative with it are a key part of MGS; Survive just doesn't deliver on that front. I'd recommend the game if you can get it cheap and don't mind the lack of options, reused maps from MGSV and a postgame that won't appeal to everyone.

e: I wouldn't really call it a total conversion mod, even. More like a standalone DLC.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

rt4 posted:

Yakuza 0

for real, yakuza 0 is one of the best deals in PC gaming. $20 for a full on AAA yakuza title?

Jamfrost posted:

I love a good, vigorous pounding. It's great for your skin, but not for your knuckles (because of all the smashing of enemies). Yakuza 7 keeps looking like a fun title.

0 is the only one I've played, but it stays with me.

7 is really great and a good time to get into the series, since they've started with a new protagonist. it's also now a full on self aware JRPG instead of a brawler

my only complaint is that the first six hours of the game are just a shitload of plot and lore establishment. like describing how the sacred crystals protected the kingdom from harm, but instead it's gangsters weeping in the rain about honor

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So it’s a Yakuza game

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
there's a lot more weeping gangsters this time around because there's a whole new set of guys to tee up about exactly how hard they want to punch each others abs and why they want to do that (honor, various kinds of betrayal)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

MGS5 had tons of massively customizable weapons, here you get three guns and some mostly interchangeable melee weapons (hint: use the pointy stick). That's it. No fultoning, no teleportation, no decoys, no loving around with guards' AI (what AI? they're zombies), next to no stealth.
For a decent part of the campaign, this isn't exactly wrong, although I think you're overstating it a little. I'm quite far into the game, although I haven't quite made it to the postgame yet, and I'm well-equipped with all sorts if little things like spinning blade traps, fire arrows, "You're Pretty Good!" bouncy decoys and even electric stun spears that zap and poke at the same time. The gun customization is not up to what Phantom Pain offered, but if you want to put a silencer on that Colt 1911 you found, you can do that, and if you want to exploit stealth and the fact that the zombies go to where they last saw you and not where you are to use decoys and molotovs to take out entire hordes at a time, then you can do that as well.

Well, in the end, it's a divisive game for a reason and I don't begrudge anyone who felt it wasn't their kind of thing. I just wanted to present some of what I think are legitimate upsides and really fun aspects that the game offers over MGS5 as well.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I've only played the Yakuza games that have been released on Steam - so 0, K1, and K2 - does 7 spoil anything from 3-6?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

Okay, so I'm going to present the flip side here. The campaign is fun enough and you'll basically want to see it through just to see the story (which definitely is batshit enough to be MGS) but you will be cursing your lack of equipment most of the time. MGS5 had tons of massively customizable weapons, here you get three guns and some mostly interchangeable melee weapons (hint: use the pointy stick). That's it. No fultoning, no teleportation, no decoys, no loving around with guards' AI (what AI? they're zombies), next to no stealth. Theoretically, there are more options - the game gives three classes with some seriously badass moves; the trouble is, they unlock in the postgame when you've already got everything explored and literally the only thing you can do is tower defense missions.

I think the arsenal you get and the opporunities to get creative with it are a key part of MGS; Survive just doesn't deliver on that front. I'd recommend the game if you can get it cheap and don't mind the lack of options, reused maps from MGSV and a postgame that won't appeal to everyone.

e: I wouldn't really call it a total conversion mod, even. More like a standalone DLC.

You can backstab/fulton the zombies for resources, just have to sneak and CQC them from behind or trip them first. And to do that you can use tools like... the decoy.

https://youtu.be/JPCt9-i9QJU

MGS was great. I ended up playing it about 20 more hours than I did V, which I finished. Great exploration game, actually has a complete plot unlike V and I found it fun both to scrape by at the beginning as well as annihilate zombies in the post-game. Kinda want to play it again now.

Unfortunately the tiny multiplayer population doomed it from the start but I'd recommend it for the campaign anyway. If you have friends for multi then it's even better.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Det_no posted:

You can backstab/fulton the zombies for resources
And also animals to then keep in cages and farm for food and crafting resources.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

luxury handset posted:

there's a lot more weeping gangsters this time around because there's a whole new set of guys to tee up about exactly how hard they want to punch each others abs and why they want to do that (honor, various kinds of betrayal)

Yeah my memory of zero is that the intro went on for a while but 7 is way worse. Here's the 10+ min back story for young George Takai. Now here's the game, with about five minutes of gameplay as a treat. Now here's 15+ minutes of the main character establishing a relationship with another character and some hints at where the story might go. Now another 30+ min of backstory for George Takai again, with a little sprinkling of game and you can go to Sega land and play Hang On while 8gb of pachinko machines downloads. Now for 15+ minutes of the main char backstory. Then it's time to make dinner and stop for the day.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
How slow is the Yakuza 7 intro as compared to, Trails of Cold Steel or Persona 4?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I haven't played Trails but it's basically on par with Persona 4. It is basically the same pace as Yakuza 0; the first 2 hours are basically a Yakuza feature film, story setup heavy with the most basic of basic gameplay. Third hour was the first dungeon and immediate inciting incident. That's where I am so far and I'm just about to unlock the class/advancement system and open world it feels like

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Man, Paradise Killer really is a trip and a half. The atmosphere is like that of an island resort by way of a cult to the Great Old Ones. It's an incredibly weird feeling, really fun.

A bit too in love with hot pink as an aesthetic, though.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I haven't played Trails but it's basically on par with Persona 4. It is basically the same pace as Yakuza 0; the first 2 hours are basically a Yakuza feature film, story setup heavy with the most basic of basic gameplay. Third hour was the first dungeon and immediate inciting incident. That's where I am so far and I'm just about to unlock the class/advancement system and open world it feels like

there's more establishing cutscenes and the introduction of more characters. you're not far away from where the game starts feeding you more actual gameplay

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zachack posted:

Yeah my memory of zero is that the intro went on for a while but 7 is way worse. Here's the 10+ min back story for young George Takai. Now here's the game, with about five minutes of gameplay as a treat. Now here's 15+ minutes of the main character establishing a relationship with another character and some hints at where the story might go. Now another 30+ min of backstory for George Takai again, with a little sprinkling of game and you can go to Sega land and play Hang On while 8gb of pachinko machines downloads. Now for 15+ minutes of the main char backstory. Then it's time to make dinner and stop for the day.

Yeah, I wouldn’t have minded it so much but I just started a new job so my time has been pretty constrained this week and I just want to get to the part where it all opens up. The actual intro is better than the average JRPG at least, there’s enough variety to keep it interesting. But it takes like five hours before it goes Full Yakuza.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It seems like THIS Yakuza is a real Yak-Snooza!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Cardiovorax posted:

Man, Paradise Killer really is a trip and a half. The atmosphere is like that of an island resort by way of a cult to the Great Old Ones. It's an incredibly weird feeling, really fun.

A bit too in love with hot pink as an aesthetic, though.
Hard loving agree, it's probably the single weirdest game I've ever played. I enjoyed exploring, I enjoyed the mystery, I loving loved the music (goddrat is it catchy), I enjoyed the characters, and yet the longer I played the more I kept thinking "holy poo poo, everything about this setting and every single character is loving monstrous, what the actual gently caress?!" I honestly don't know how to feel about the game as a whole even now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

I think this highlights how a lot of people were disappointed by it: If you're expecting more Metal Gear Solid action, then Survive isn't going to deliver that, because it's trying to be a very different thing with almost none of the same appeal. It's a survival game with base building and hordes of zombies, and amongst the games of that sort, I'd say it's a pretty decent one. Just don't go in looking for the particular things you liked about MGSV because they're probably not there, or only show up way late in the game.

Like, one of the memorable moments I had was the first time I was getting properly overrun by zombies and realized that my lovely bow wasn't going to cut it, and it was finally time to whip out my sawed-off shotgun for the first time (for which I had scrounged up a total of like 8 shells). Most of the game is characterized by scarcity and desperation rather than the feeling of being a badass elite soldier you get in a Metal Gear Solid game.