Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

Most people just set it on a timer from spring until they get their system flushed for the winter.

and it’s loving stupid. Local trees, rocks, bushes, cacti, whatever make for a way better yard than anything sprinklers and foreign grass can get you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

After years of my parents having this lovely steep lawn I finally dug out the grass and put in rocks and individual plants that were winter hardy to my area. It looks so much better and no dumb mowing.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

and it’s loving stupid. Local trees, rocks, bushes, cacti, whatever make for a way better yard than anything sprinklers and foreign grass can get you.

That drove me crazy when I lived in Phoenix. People, you live in a loving desert. WHY do you all have grass lawns that take tons of watering, you fucks? :argh: Plenty of houses have desert landscaping with local plants and it looks infinitely better and takes so much less water!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I agree, but boomers love their lawns. My parents never go outside, and no one can see their lawn from the road, but they just got it completely redone, and are waiting for the right conditions to get a sprinkler system installed.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Even here in the Midwest where grass is easy to grow, people do everything they can to make it hard. My parents live across the street from a guy that has to constantly reseed his lawn and run sprinklers, because for some reason he's decided that his lawn must be 100% Kentucky bluegrass no matter what. He also mows twice a day, every day, for no reason. Meanwhile, my parents' lawn is greener and requires no maintenance other than running a mower over it once every two weeks because it's a species of grass native to the area.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

When I go on walks around the neighborhood I'll gladly step into the street to maintain distancing. The problem is the sides of the street are littered with these motherfuckers. It feels like I'm about to twist my ankle real bad at any moment as I navigate my way between these things and the cars that are whizzing by. They are incredibly stupid and I hate anyone that thought planting these trees was a good idea.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Most people just set it on a timer from spring until they get their system flushed for the winter.

I live in Florida, where it rains a lot, so I think a sprinkler system is kinda moot.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Fartington Butts posted:

When I go on walks around the neighborhood I'll gladly step into the street to maintain distancing. The problem is the sides of the street are littered with these motherfuckers. It feels like I'm about to twist my ankle real bad at any moment as I navigate my way between these things and the cars that are whizzing by. They are incredibly stupid and I hate anyone that thought planting these trees was a good idea.

My grandfather used to tell me these "evolved to get stuck in lawnmower blades, which scatters the seeds." It didn't occur to me until middle school bio class that the time scale was a... smidgen short for that level of selection pressure. That dude was an absolute treasure trove of fiction-facts. Thankfully he balanced it out by providing copious reference materials to suss out the bullshit

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Fartington Butts posted:

Motherfucking sweetgum trees are the worst. We had two of them on our property when we moved in and put up with it for maaaybe a year before getting them cut down.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Brawnfire posted:

My grandfather used to tell me these "evolved to get stuck in lawnmower blades, which scatters the seeds." It didn't occur to me until middle school bio class that the time scale was a... smidgen short for that level of selection pressure. That dude was an absolute treasure trove of fiction-facts. Thankfully he balanced it out by providing copious reference materials to suss out the bullshit

big "Calvin's dad from C&H" energy. I wish my grandparents had been this cool.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My dad "taught" me that if the telephone poles were on your right, you were traveling north. To this day, he'll say stuff like "Turn right, not left! C'mon, where are the telephone poles?"

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 01:54 on Nov 16, 2020

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Hirayuki posted:

My dad "taught" me that if the telephone poles were on your right, you were traveling north. To this day, he'll say stuff like "Turn right, not left! C'mon, where are the telephone poles?"

Did you ever make mention of when the poles crossed sides on the street?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

OHM-G, I'm shocked that isn't true! You've transformed my worldview.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Not really a peeve so much as a weird thing but

How myself and my wife can deep-clean the whole house several times, and yet the one baby sock on the stairs never seems to get picked up. It's just part of the scenery I guess. But a moment ago I passed it and mentally composed this post instead of snagging it

Is this minimalist hoarding? Is this the child's garment that must suffer so that Omelas can remain clean? I don't know, but after contemplation I'm less inclined than ever to extricate this stocking from its lonesome post upon the stairwell

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Brawnfire posted:

OHM-G, I'm shocked that isn't true! You've transformed my worldview.

Heh.

It is weird that some people, when giving directions, are more focused on cardinal direction than relative. My dad is the same way (wait...is that just a dad thing?)

Like...in the end, it's less important that I "turn North at the intersection" than it is I "turn right at the intersection."

Don't get me wrong, it's good to know the actual direction something is, but if, say, a road sign is missing or it's not a major or even minor highway where that's pointed out on a sign, then saying "right" is, IMO, more important since I might not know off the top of my head, while driving and don't have time to figure out out, which way North is.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DrBouvenstein posted:

It is weird that some people, when giving directions, are more focused on cardinal direction than relative. My dad is the same way (wait...is that just a dad thing?)
I'm not a father, but I definitely prefer cardinal directions. You take one wrong turn and go down a street with a bend in it and now all your relative directions are completely wrong. Cardinal directions will not only allow you to follow a set route, but also give you a good idea of what general direction you should be going so that if you get lost you can get back on track.

And if it's daytime then you can always easily tell which way is north by knowing where the sun is and if it's before or after midday. And even at night there are usually pretty simple ways to figure it out.

Actually, I find it difficult to even give relative directions. I have to stop and figure it out and play the trip out in my mind step by step - and I'm often wrong. Far, far easier to say "head west till you hit the main road, then go south to the lights, etc."

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I get the logic behind using cardinal directions, but I absolutely can't process them. Even if I'm in a car with a compass in it and know I'm currently traveling north, it takes me a few seconds of thinking to work out which way is east and which is west. I have to visualize a whole compass rose every time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DrBouvenstein posted:

Heh.

Like...in the end, it's less important that I "turn North at the intersection" than it is I "turn right at the intersection."

Don't get me wrong, it's good to know the actual direction something is, but if, say, a road sign is missing or it's not a major or even minor highway where that's pointed out on a sign, then saying "right" is, IMO, more important since I might not know off the top of my head, while driving and don't have time to figure out out, which way North is.

It’s not so much about “actual directions for smug bitches” vs “turn left” it’s that those of us who use cardinal directions find it more helpful and intuitive.

People that are completely bamboozled by what direction north (or whatever) is, even on the streets of their loving hometown, are a peeve honestly. Particularly growing up far inland and then spending a ton of my adult life in NYC and Kingston, ON, two cities both conveniently bounded by water on most sides. Like how the gently caress does someone live in Kingston and not know where north is? Are they so braindead that they can’t remember which way leads to the dead end that is a giant loving lake, or so braindead that they don’t know if Ontario is to the north or south of New York? Either way, goddam annoying.

I’ll have a junior bacon cheeseburger and a waffle fry, thanks.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Knowing that the lake is to the north of me means nothing if I can't currently see the lake.

For what it's worth, I can use cardinal directions fine if I have a printed map in front of me so I don't have to visualize the directions myself.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

Knowing that the lake is to the north of me means nothing if I can't currently see the lake.
You know where the lake is though, right? It's a huge landmark. If someone says "go north" you go towards the lake. (Or whatever major landmarks are wherever you live).

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
There's a large lake about fives miles from me and I know that I can get to it by heading out to the main road and turning right, but I honestly couldn't tell you if I'm traveling north or south when I do that without pulling up a map. And if I had to start from a different location, I wouldn't be able to get there without a map.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

People who drive and don't navigate by bus routes are apparently my peeve today.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Tiggum posted:

You know where the lake is though, right? It's a huge landmark. If someone says "go north" you go towards the lake. (Or whatever major landmarks are wherever you live).

I lived in Chicago for a few years and if I knew roughly where I was, then I knew which direction the lake was (if someone was giving me directions to a building I hadn't been to, but in an area that I was familiar with).

But if I stepped out of a building in downtown and you said "head towards the lake", I would have no idea what direction that was and I can't possibly see the lake.

I now live in a city on a different lake where the shoreline is roughly 45 deg from North-South. Half the city is laid out parallel to the cardinal directions and half of it is parallel to the shore. When someone gives directions for the second half as "go north" it's not clear to me if they mean northwest or northeast.

I still find cardinal directions helpful in some cases, especially things like freeways, but I definitely find left/right more useful in a place I am unfamiliar with and especially in cities.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

jjack229 posted:

I lived in Chicago for a few years and if I knew roughly where I was, then I knew which direction the lake was (if someone was giving me directions to a building I hadn't been to, but in an area that I was familiar with).

But if I stepped out of a building in downtown and you said "head towards the lake", I would have no idea what direction that was and I can't possibly see the lake.
How did you get to the building without knowing where it was?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i navigate through tokyo using cardinal directions. the city's roads are a ridiculous labyrinth but everything is carved up by big roads so as long as i know that i need to be north of a big road that i know lies north of whatever jumble of streets im currently in, i can just head north. if i somehow dont know where north is right away by instinct i can look at the sun and the time. this is very efficient since i can just ignore all of the little roads as long as i avoid dead ends and head in a general direction i will always go to the right way

everybody else navigates like "turn right at familymart and then left at the pachinko place" but then never find out the relative locations of anything. my wife does this and shes lived there all her life and ive lived there for only a few years and im already better at knowing directions in the city than she is

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I feel like I should mention that Kingston is north of the lake, the lake is the absolute southernmost point you can go to. Because it's Lake Ontario, it's a freshwater ocean. You can't miss it, you can't forget it, the wind itself changes as you move closer to or further from it.

docbeard posted:

People who drive and don't navigate by bus routes are apparently my peeve today.

I know Kingston and the Bronx as a pedestrian which is why this is so baffling to me. I don't even want to be condescending just like... how does anyone get home at night while having no idea where they are? It's one of those things where I feel like our brains are fundamentally different.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Nov 16, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I feel like I should mention that Kingston is north of the lake, the lake is the absolute southernmost point you can go to. Because it's Lake Ontario, it's a freshwater ocean. You can't miss it, you can't forget it, the wind itself changes as you move closer to or further from it.

Amusingly, people do the same with Lake Ontario being north in Rochester. My mom always tells me "go towards the lake" when she's giving me directions, which she does despite me having directions on google maps before she even started talking

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Did you ever make mention of when the poles crossed sides on the street?
Yep. "Well, that's because we're in [neighboring county]. You can't expect the rules to be the same everywhere. :rolleyes:"

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Tiggum posted:

If someone else drove (friend, taxi, public transportation) I usually am not paying that close of attention. Also, being in a large building or interconnected buildings and leaving out of a different door than I entered.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

jjack229 posted:

If someone else drove (friend, taxi, public transportation) I usually am not paying that close of attention. Also, being in a large building or interconnected buildings and leaving out of a different door than I entered.

But like, you've gotta know where the building itself is?

e: and I'm keeping to Kingston bc it's small but extremely useful as an example here. South is Lake Ontario and the Saint Lawrence River. North is the 401. There are lesser waters to the east and west to help place you. You've gotta know your location relative to ANY of these extremely obvious landmarks and thus the general direction you need to go? Right?

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Nov 16, 2020

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
My dad was a big fan of taking back roads all over the place to avoid traffic and also have fun on some of the twisty turny sections and now I'm the same way. If I have time to get where I'm going I'll explore some off the beaten path and knowing what general direction I need to go helps a ton with not getting lost. If I know that I need to be going north but the road is trending south then I'd better make a couple turns to get back in the right direction.

Sure sometimes I end up in a dead end and have to back track a bit but I almost never feel like I have no idea where I am or how to get where I'm going. Sometimes I also find awesome shortcuts that make getting around in the future way more convenient. Around the Seattle & Portland metro areas you also get to see some pretty nice scenery that you'd never knew existed if you just stick to the major roads.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
When I was in San Francisco for a holiday I spent a whole day slightly weirded out because the sun was in the south and the ocean was in the west. It threw off my normal Sydney-based sense of direction.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I don't know if this is some innate difference or something with what you learned as a kid, but my experience, and this thread supports it, is that those who think in cardinal directions can't really grasp not having a clear sense of them (see: tiggum) and those who don't can't really understand the opposite. Even learning an obvious trick like the sun, or "famous landmark you can probably find is north" won't help, because you have to internalize it for it to be useful.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah i completely cant comprehend not thinking in nwse

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Tiggum posted:

You can know where it was and still not know which direction you're facing when you leave it. I've certainly had that, a few months after I moved to the city I currently live in I went down town to the store, got out and knew I was on a north/south street but couldn't figure out which direction was north without walking a few blocks until I saw one of the few cross streets I actually remembered the name of and knew that meant I'd walked north.

But my sense of direction is absolutely terrible, both cardinal and relative, and my pet peeve is that a handful of the intersections in town have a little compass showing north but they should put that design at every crosswalk imo.

Also every intersection should either be the "push the button" for a walk signal or the automated type. I don't care which but I hate the mixture. I walk 20 minutes through an automated section then reach the push the button section and stand around like an idiot for 5 minutes wondering why the signal hasn't changed before remembering to look to see if it's a button intersection.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

nishi koichi posted:

i’ve cut my hair myself for the past seven years, it’s a pain to find a good black-owned barber in some places and you just adapt, because who else is going to do it? anyone complaining about cutting their own hair (short of people with disabilities) should sack up and learn

Oddly enough, I live in Burnsville MN and have an awesome black owned barbershop. It's like the movie Barbershop. I'm the only white customer there as far as I can tell. You can go there and talk poo poo about whatever and it's always cool and fun.

It's so much better than the other shops around. He also does a wet shave which is nice. I prefer his place way more than the other salons I went to before. I met a guy that was doing promotion for LIzzo when I was there a few months ago. Somehow black owned and run barbershops are just better.

Screw Sportclips. They pissed me off because they didn't even try to fit me in a few years ago. You can't tell a customer that the wait is 4 hours. It's clearly not and you can cut my hair in 20 minutes at most. I'm OK with "It'll be about 30 minutes." 4 hours? My rear end.

My barber got me in the chair in 15 minutes. He knows my haircut and he knows that I over-tip. I'm never going anywhere else.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Damping means reducing energy.
Dampening means increasing moisture.
Dampers reduce energy.
Dampeners increase moisture.

I hate it when people use them interchangeably, especially in sci-fi. I always imagine the "shield dampeners" on Star Trek are just some ensign in a space suit with a bucket of water and a mop, like it's some sort of prank assignment. "Let's make Wesley be the shield dampener today, ha ha!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Buttchocks posted:

Damping means reducing energy.
Dampening means increasing moisture.
Dampers reduce energy.
Dampeners increase moisture.

I hate it when people use them interchangeably, especially in sci-fi. I always imagine the "shield dampeners" on Star Trek are just some ensign in a space suit with a bucket of water and a mop, like it's some sort of prank assignment. "Let's make Wesley be the shield dampener today, ha ha!"

Maybe water makes the shields more effective?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Iron Crowned posted:

Maybe water makes the shields more effective?

"Shields are failing! Mop faster, O'Brien!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Probably effective versus saturation fire